NPC Mages and PPE - Possible or What In The...

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Johnathan
Adventurer

NPC Mages and PPE - Possible or What In The...

Unread post by Johnathan »

Has anyone else bothered to look at some of the NPC Mages that are in some of the books and just wondering how in the heck they managed to accumulate the VAST amount of PPE they possessed?

I pose this question on a whim to my fellow Palladium-holics with two specific NPCs in mind: Alistiar Dunscon and Inglix the Mad.

Both NPCs follow very similar backstories. Both started off as "normal" mages (Alistiar a Ley Line Walker and Inglix a Warlock). Both then "disappeared" for a relatively long period of time (Alistiar was... what? 80-ish years? and Inglix was untold centuries), returning with vast power at their disposal. Both have PPE numbers in the 1,000+ area. Both "acquired" immortality during their dimensional travels, etc.

Now, the immortality thing isn't that big of a deal. Goodness knows if a PC tries hard enough to find the secrets to immortality, they can find it out there... somewhere...

However, the PPE in the 1,000+ range thing? I find that a little hard to swallow, honestly, without bending (or flat-out breaking) some of the rules (with a 2x4...).

So, I pose both the question and a challenge... Is it possible within the boundaries of the rules of PCs to achieve that kind of internal PPE (Internal meaning without the assistance of things like Talismans or Rune Weapons that have PPE augmenting abilities)? And if so, how?

Edit: I would also exclude the often, in video game, used Boon. What, I mean by that is the video game style of, "If you accomplish this quest for me, I will grant you X, Y or Z power/ability upon completion of this quest."
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Long Shadow
Dungeon Crawler

Re: NPC Mages and PPE - Possible or What In The...

Unread post by Long Shadow »

Johnathan wrote:Has anyone else bothered to look at some of the NPC Mages that are in some of the books and just wondering how in the heck they managed to accumulate the VAST amount of PPE they possessed?

I pose this question on a whim to my fellow Palladium-holics with two specific NPCs in mind: Alistiar Dunscon and Inglix the Mad.

Both NPCs follow very similar backstories. Both started off as "normal" mages (Alistiar a Ley Line Walker and Inglix a Warlock). Both then "disappeared" for a relatively long period of time (Alistiar was... what? 80-ish years? and Inglix was untold centuries), returning with vast power at their disposal. Both have PPE numbers in the 1,000+ area. Both "acquired" immortality during their dimensional travels, etc.

Now, the immortality thing isn't that big of a deal. Goodness knows if a PC tries hard enough to find the secrets to immortality, they can find it out there... somewhere...

However, the PPE in the 1,000+ range thing? I find that a little hard to swallow, honestly, without bending (or flat-out breaking) some of the rules (with a 2x4...).

So, I pose both the question and a challenge... Is it possible within the boundaries of the rules of PCs to achieve that kind of internal PPE (Internal meaning without the assistance of things like Talismans or Rune Weapons that have PPE augmenting abilities)? And if so, how?

Edit: I would also exclude the often, in video game, used Boon. What, I mean by that is the video game style of, "If you accomplish this quest for me, I will grant you X, Y or Z power/ability upon completion of this quest."

There is a demon magic spell that would allow this (in dimensional outbreak).
Johnathan
Adventurer

Long Shadow wrote:There is a demon magic spell that would allow this (in dimensional outbreak).

I am going to assume you are referencing the Consume Soul Demon Magic spell. That is a temporary solution, at best. I also know there is the Shifter Spell of Legend, that accomplishes a more complete transferrence of power.

I must say, I speak of ways one can augment/increase their permanent PPE base WITHOUT sacrificing another sentient being in order to accomplish the task.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Johnathan wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:There is a demon magic spell that would allow this (in dimensional outbreak).

I am going to assume you are referencing the Consume Soul Demon Magic spell. That is a temporary solution, at best. I also know there is the Shifter Spell of Legend, that accomplishes a more complete transferrence of power.

I must say, I speak of ways one can augment/increase their permanent PPE base WITHOUT sacrificing another sentient being in order to accomplish the task.

well in theory accessing HU2 worlds; and some how becoming a mega hero is one possibility...
The rules allow for the creation of your own mega powers and one along the lies of tremendous SDC called Tremendous PPE (for want of a better name) "could" be used. (its skirting the edge of rules bending/breaking... but it would work)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Johnathan
Adventurer

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Johnathan wrote:I am going to assume you are referencing the Consume Soul Demon Magic spell. That is a temporary solution, at best. I also know there is the Shifter Spell of Legend, that accomplishes a more complete transferrence of power.

well in theory accessing HU2 worlds; and some how becoming a mega hero is one possibility...
The rules allow for the creation of your own mega powers and one along the lies of tremendous SDC called Tremendous PPE (for want of a better name) "could" be used. (its skirting the edge of rules bending/breaking... but it would work)

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a Rifter article expanding Mega-Heroes to include mystically inclined individuals...?
Long Shadow
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Long Shadow »

Johnathan wrote:

I am going to assume you are referencing the Consume Soul Demon Magic spell. That is a temporary solution, at best.

No. IIRC it's called Heart of Darkness and the Mage sacrifices a victim and permenantly gets 10% to 40% of the victims PPE. There was a few threads recently discussing it and it's canon.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Johnathan wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Johnathan wrote:I am going to assume you are referencing the Consume Soul Demon Magic spell. That is a temporary solution, at best. I also know there is the Shifter Spell of Legend, that accomplishes a more complete transferrence of power.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a Rifter article expanding Mega-Heroes to include mystically inclined individuals...?
Yes but as it was not labeled "official" I choose to ignore it (I did not like the direction the author took).
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Johnathan
Adventurer

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Johnathan wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Yes but as it was not labeled "official" I choose to ignore it (I did not like the direction the author took).

Well... dusting off that book reveals a 1d6x100 PPE boost for the mega-hero power of Tremendous PPE. As well as a 50% boost to PPE for being a Mega-Hero. Which, concievably, COULD raise a spell casters PPE into the 1,000+ area. Are there any other ways outside of becoming a Supernatural Mega-Hero?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Johnathan wrote:Has anyone else bothered to look at some of the NPC Mages that are in some of the books and just wondering how in the heck they managed to accumulate the VAST amount of PPE they possessed?

We made up a Thread about RPG definitions (now "stickied"); among them, we proposed a term about NPC characters who defy convention.
We wanted to call them "Coffin Characters" (after a certain former Writer for Palladium Books whose NPCs were often alleged to be significantly more powerful than what could be created by the RAW), but were asked not to do so. :D

Getting just a bit more serious, you might be able to say that both Dunscon and Inglix are products of unique magics and rituals that simply aren't covered by the Book; as such, they are probably, actually 100% legal, because when you look at each character, you can't come up with a By-The-Books explanation that either explains or refutes their existence.

For example, Natasha Romanov (Rifts: Warlords of Russia) is a patently illegal character -she's a 10-foot tall Full Conversion 'Borg [albeit a beautiful one] who still has psionics.

But we don't have any rules that we can point to that say that your two examples are illegal, because we don't really know what they are.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Johnathan
Adventurer

Looks like I'm going to have dig up Through The Glass Darkly (shudder) and create a bit of magic designed to permanently increase the users PPE base through... Donors. *maniacal laughter*
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

If you used a few different martial arts (such as Tai Chi) from Ninja and Superspies, at certain levels they actually double the current PPE. I have a player that used that very martial art and has over 800 PPE at the moment (8th level).
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Icefalcon wrote:If you used a few different martial arts (such as Tai Chi) from Ninja and Superspies, at certain levels they actually double the current PPE. I have a player that used that very martial art and has over 800 PPE at the moment (8th level).

Ether you or your player is mistaken.

The Tai-Chi from N&S and MC only doubles the Char's Chi stat. (Yes this is seperate from both the Char's PPE and, if they have it, the char's ISP.

The Rifts China Tai-Chi only boosts the char's ISP.

As to which H2Hs or MAFs boost the char's PPE, there is Aikido in Rifts Japan @ L10
------------
Now if you meant that you have in you game a House Rule that lets the N&S/MC MAF to double the char's PPE base, then you forgot to mention that it was your house rule you were talking about.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:If you used a few different martial arts (such as Tai Chi) from Ninja and Superspies, at certain levels they actually double the current PPE. I have a player that used that very martial art and has over 800 PPE at the moment (8th level).

The Tai-Chi from N&S and MC only doubles the Char's Chi stat. (Yes this is seperate from both the Char's PPE and, if they have it, the char's ISP.

As to which H2Hs or MAFs boost the char's PPE, there is Aikido in Rifts Japan @ L10
------------
Now if you meant that you have in you game a House Rule that lets the N&S/MC MAF to double the char's PPE base, then you forgot to mention that it was your house rule you were talking about.

not everyone intentionally presents HRs as canon...
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

------------

not everyone intentionally presents HRs as canon...

My mistake for not stating that I allowed the player to use PPE in place of the Chi considering he had no access to Chi powers or abilities.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Tai-chi Chuan from N&S/MC is my fav way to get Chi powers, since it gives out the most chi powers and abilities.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Long Shadow wrote:
Johnathan wrote:

I am going to assume you are referencing the Consume Soul Demon Magic spell. That is a temporary solution, at best.

No. IIRC it's called Heart of Darkness and the Mage sacrifices a victim and permenantly gets 10% to 40% of the victims PPE. There was a few threads recently discussing it and it's canon.

where can i find this HEART OF DARKNESS ? which book?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

finn69 wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:
Johnathan wrote:

DB12.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Beast wrote:
finn69 wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:
Johnathan wrote:

DB12.

Woah, that's a pretty intense spell. Why would it's cannon be questioned?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Glistam wrote:Woah, that's a pretty intense spell. Why would it's cannon be questioned?

Because PB didn't include stats for its cannon in the description, so everyone makes up there own stats for it and then argues about it with each other until the mods lock the thread. :P
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

The Beast wrote:
Glistam wrote:Woah, that's a pretty intense spell. Why would it's cannon be questioned?

Because PB didn't include stats for its cannon in the description, so everyone makes up there own stats for it and then argues about it with each other until the mods lock the thread. :P

i dont understand what u mean "no stats" it looks like a fully described spell to me as far as game stats and fluff text with very little ambiguity that i can see.
Johnathan
Adventurer

finn69 wrote:
The Beast wrote:

i dont understand what u mean "no stats" it looks like a fully described spell to me as far as game stats and fluff text with very little ambiguity that i can see.

It IS a perfectly described spell. However, the stigma that comes with the USE of this spell defies usage except by the most foul or insane (which would probably be why it's demon magic, huh?).

This magic COULD actually be used to explain Dunscon's and Inglix's PPE levels. As both are insane AND evil. However, it can hardly be considered a spell or mystical aptitude that can be applied across the board.
Johnathan
Adventurer

Rappanui wrote:A rule most npcs use is that mutliclassed wizards get the full ppe base for each magic using class.
This rule is nixed by Gms who don't want players closing rifts and other stuff with their own ppe.
(this above makes the most sense because in the spells per day system, each class had it's own spell list and their own spells per day.)

While, generally, I would agree with most GMs in this case just to avoid abuse. However, it should be handled on a case by case basis. If a player does the bare minimum in any given magic class just to switch classes and get the PPE boost... Don't let them. If that is NOT the case... I'd allow.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Rappanui wrote:A rule most npcs use is that mutliclassed wizards get the full ppe base for each magic using class.
Even using that, I doubt Dunscon's LLW/shifter levels would give him over 1K PPE. Inglix's might though.

There's also that NPC warlock wannabe-god calling himself Enlil in CB2 who has a huge amount of PPE. I might calculcate the max possible for these guys to see if it checks out.

Long Shadow wrote:
Johnathan wrote:
That sounds too good to be true, what's stopping people from getting millions of PPE this way? The PPE for the Demon Lords would be way too low considering how many victims they'd have available. Even if we take the average person's PPE to be 7, 20% of that is at least 1 PPE. Sacrifice a million people (pretty sure they could swing it) and you have a million PPE.

Does this mean there is a separate 'Consume Soul' spell? What does it do?

finn69 wrote:where can i find this HEART OF DARKNESS?

here
Glistam wrote:that's a pretty intense spell. Why would it's cannon be questioned?
Same reason people would question the canonicity of those Manhunter entities or Time Lord magic, because it's so frickin powerful it could dominate a game in crafty enough hands.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Tor wrote:
Even using that, I doubt Dunscon's LLW/shifter levels would give him over 1K PPE. Inglix's might though.

There's also that NPC warlock wannabe-god calling himself Enlil in CB2 who has a huge amount of PPE. I might calculcate the max possible for these guys to see if it checks out.

Long Shadow wrote:
Johnathan wrote:
That sounds too good to be true, what's stopping people from getting millions of PPE this way? The PPE for the Demon Lords would be way too low considering how many victims they'd have available. Even if we take the average person's PPE to be 7, 20% of that is at least 1 PPE. Sacrifice a million people (pretty sure they could swing it) and you have a million PPE.

Does this mean there is a separate 'Consume Soul' spell? What does it do?

finn69 wrote:where can i find this HEART OF DARKNESS?

here
Glistam wrote:that's a pretty intense spell. Why would it's cannon be questioned?
Same reason people would question the canonicity of those Manhunter entities or Time Lord magic, because it's so frickin powerful it could dominate a game in crafty enough hands.

also that spell would be out of the normal spell casting range for say a combat mage or obsidian spell thief under normal conditions
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

finn69 wrote:a combat mage or obsidian spell thief
These must be new classes too =/

That said, pretty much any class at a decent ley line can cast most spells if they manage to learn'm.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Tor wrote:
finn69 wrote:a combat mage or obsidian spell thief
These must be new classes too =/

That said, pretty much any class at a decent ley line can cast most spells if they manage to learn'm.

not the combat mage or spell thief they are limited in the spell levels they can cast.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”