Drones

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Drones

Unread post by eliakon »

I was thinking recently (I know its a dangerous habit) and I thought about recon drones. The military uses them from the Predators and Sentinels, down to the Ravens at the unit size. The small ones like the Ravens are really no more than a RC plane with some fancy sensors, and I have seen people kitbash equivilants togeather with stuff from a hobby shop, and radioshack (as in I have seen such things in use by units that didnt have as many Ravens as they would have liked). My question is....do you think such drones would be of use, and what would you equip them with?

Some Ideas include
-a drone that drops a flare or other decoy
-a drone with a camera to allow you to look for actitivity/zombies

Remember not all drones need to be planes, remote controlled cars, boats, and suction cup tanks on ceilings count.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Re: Drones

Unread post by sHaka »

Drones would be very useful for militaries that can support them.

Plus, THIS sprang to mind. (warning, the Russian does swear a couple of times)
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I am thinking the homebrew kitbash types for survivalists. Heck the local model/hobby shop to me has 5 planes in stock that have video cameras that broadcast back to a handset, and 2 that can drop a small cargo pod. I can imaggine all sort of custom versions springing up when you add electronics/mechanics skills to the mix
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I would have one outfitted for surveillance only. As for the cargo drop option, it could be used to drop a beacon at a scouted location. This beacon could be set to different tones depending on whether it is marking an area as dangerous, full of supplies, safe have or whatever. The simple camera could be replaced with one that has passive nightvision, infrared and thermographic settings. You could add a sonigraphic mapping system to one (maybe a helicopter) and send it in a building to map it out. There are many other sensors you could add to the thing that would make it highly useful in various situations.

If you wanted weapons, I would stick with something like a small mini-gun chambered in .22. It would not be the most useful of weapons but would add a bit of defense to the drone.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

there are some stats for drones in the HU pages that i myself will be using in my game
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

dargo83 wrote:there are some stats for drones in the HU pages that i myself will be using in my game

I don't buy HU books because I do not play it. I definitely wouldn't buy them just for some extra gear or rules.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

there on the forum pages
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Dulce bellum inexpertis.

Return to “Dead Reign™”