Genesis Pits Sourceook - Looks GREAT!

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Genesis Pits Sourceook - Looks GREAT!

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Snake Eyes wrote:Yup, i saw the same TYPO too.....its no biggie though.....

Though an evil GM would say maybe these are prototypes that were converted to protoculture, and the watch the look on the player's faces when the invid "see" them :twisted:

Nah, an evil GM would have the players accidentally start up the base's reflex furnace when they turn on the lights or summon a cargo elevator, drawing swarms of Invid to the base. :twisted:

*writes that one down for use/abuse in his name crossover event game*
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:Yup, i saw the same TYPO too.....its no biggie though.....

Though an evil GM would say maybe these are prototypes that were converted to protoculture, and the watch the look on the player's faces when the invid "see" them :twisted:

Nah, an evil GM would have the players accidentally start up the base's reflex furnace when they turn on the lights or summon a cargo elevator, drawing swarms of Invid to the base. :twisted:

*writes that one down for use/abuse in his name crossover event game*

:lol: :lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
dataweaver wrote:Actually, it specifically talks about turning the mecha on being a problem, and the possibility of finding and fixing up an elevator system as a way to get around that problem.

Definitely a gaffe on the writer's part then... the mecha of Robotech don't have any protoculture systems in 'em until the New Generation's lot, which means anything salvaged from the Grand Cannon is fusion-based.

I don't believe it is a gaffe per se'. Oddly enough TSC Core and New Gen definitely have a feel for use in the old Robotech 1e game system. Their stats are just a bit more bumped up to be useable in Rifts.

If you go with that train of thought, the old 1e Destroids were all Protoculture Based. And thus it would be logical.

On the other hand - you could always identify that the mecha use "Protoculture Chips" and thus eliminate the fuel as the problem, but the electrical system. How else do you expect a Gallant to work?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Tiree wrote:I don't believe it is a gaffe per se'. Oddly enough TSC Core and New Gen definitely have a feel for use in the old Robotech 1e game system. Their stats are just a bit more bumped up to be useable in Rifts.

Considering the entire point of 2E was to revamp the wildly inaccurate and (now) underpowered 1E Robotech game and bring it into relative compliance with canon, I think you're jumping to conclusions. We know for a fact that 2E's core book is assuming that the mecha of the earlier sagas run on protoculture because it had been penned and published before Harmony Gold came out with the revelation that the earlier mecha were powered by fusion. I doubt compatibility with 1E was even a factor, it's just a relic of the order in which these books were written and the time at which the announcement was made.

You could take the protoculture chips route, but remember that the Masters Saga book suggests that humanity didn't understand and start applying protoculture to their technologies until after the 1st Robotech War ended (meaning the chips would not have been used on 1st Generation mecha anyway).

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

in my 'notes and suggestions' (sounds much better than "personal notes an house rules") , i've made 'protoculture chips' as a type of micropower unit, similar to how the Gallant and other PC infantry wepons use the stuff, and that post 1st war the UEDF refit lots of their destroids and Veritechs to use these micropower systems instead of some of the batteries and such that would normally provide small scale electrical power (for when the main engines are offline, or to power the bits of computers that need constant electrical input.)

or you could assume that during the invid occupation, most 1st war mecha were refit with PC engines due to a shortage of SLMH.. a VF-1 could probably be refit with engines and powerplant off a Conbat easy enough, and i'd imagine that Destroids could be refit with powerplants off Condor's or Alpha's.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:in my 'notes and suggestions' (sounds much better than "personal notes an house rules") , i've made 'protoculture chips' as a type of micropower unit, similar to how the Gallant and other PC infantry wepons use the stuff, [...]

It's an interesting thought, but if they were a micro-power unit I don't think they'd be soldered onto circuit boards... since protoculture cells don't seem to be rechargeable, that'd mean removing the boards and re-soldering all the joins every time they ran dry. They'd be hot-pluggable like a CMOS battery, or centralized in one location like the batteries used as backup and/or supplemental power on VFs in Macross or the Li+ cells on modern commercial airliners for easy maintenance.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually, there are micropower units being developed today designed to be built directly into circuit boards, fuelcells and such designed for electronics. they draw off external sources of fuel, but the micropower unit itself is built into the electronics.

and i'm not so sure that P-cells aren't rechargable.. or more accurately, refillable, given that protoculture is a substance. more likely that Bernards group never had supplies of Protoculture that wasn't already inside of protoculture cell canisters, necessitating refilling to be mentioned. and of course the show does seem to skip a lot of travel time between some episodes, days or weeks, so more mundane stuff like consolidating partially used P-cells or refilling cells off a larger supply may just not have been seen on screen. (certainly the issue of fuel shortage seems to have been a hit or miss issue in the show.. some episodes they're really concerned about running out, other times they don't seem to care. so obviously some degree of resupply was occurring off-screen between episodes..)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:It's an interesting thought, but if they were a micro-power unit I don't think they'd be soldered onto circuit boards...

Well they are said to be chips, so perhaps that indicates a removable component (like RAM, CMOS Battery, or Processor Chip on a computer Motherboard). The dialogue bit about the chips doesn't mention them being soldered in, merely installed IIRC.

Seto wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:Though an evil GM would say maybe these are prototypes that were converted to protoculture, and the watch the look on the player's faces when the invid "see" them
Nah, an evil GM would have the players accidentally start up the base's reflex furnace when they turn on the lights or summon a cargo elevator, drawing swarms of Invid to the base.

No an Evil GM would have the SLMH fusion engine/generator register just like a PC powered device.

The show establishes that it's possible to generate a false positive from the Bio-Emulator the team used to bait the Invid. (I don't have GP yet so I don't know if they covered that device yet, but going off the show alone...)
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

The Protoculture Bio-Emulator does indeed appear in Genesis Pits. Ironically, it's powered by a Protoculture cell.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

dataweaver wrote:Oops... :lol: Yeah; getting those Destroids out of there wouldn't be as much of a problem as the book makes it out to be. OTOH, the need to replenish the non-Protoculture fuel that they do use would give them a limited lifespan.

OTOH sorry what that means
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

SRoss wrote:One thing I'm confused about, in the entry on the Alaskan Grand Cannon, the book says the people salvaging the VF's and Destroids would be safe until they activated any of the Protoculture systems. But according to the Macross Saga book, all these mecha are fusion powered. What Protoculture systems?

for me I.M.H.O it a error they would fuled up ready to go
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

dataweaver wrote:The Protoculture Bio-Emulator does indeed appear in Genesis Pits. Ironically, it's powered by a Protoculture cell.

Which is how it was depicted in the TV Show.

But it should emanate a larger bio-signal.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

yep. in the show, the bio-emulator seems to use one P-cell to generate a signal (at least) as big as a cyclone. maybe more. it's hard to tell, since invid energy detection vision is depicted somewhat irregulalry.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

glitterboy2098 wrote:yep. in the show, the bio-emulator seems to use one P-cell to generate a signal (at least) as big as a cyclone. maybe more. it's hard to tell, since invid energy detection vision is depicted somewhat irregulalry.

I had my homebrewed wide dispersal bio-emulator's description read that the device uses a standard p-cell that reacting at 150% to simulate a larger Robotech mecha. The cell reacting at that rate would only give the bio-emulator 10 hours continual use.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, there are micropower units being developed today designed to be built directly into circuit boards, fuelcells and such designed for electronics. they draw off external sources of fuel, [...]

Therein being the difference...

glitterboy2098 wrote:and i'm not so sure that P-cells aren't rechargable.. or more accurately, refillable, given that protoculture is a substance.

Oh, it's certainly possible if we factor the OSM into the equation... one of the labeled parts in the diagram of the Horizont drop shuttle's docking connector is a set of fuel lines plugged into the HBT cell ports on Stick's Legioss. But that isn't an operation done under field conditions, where cells are apparently regarded as disposable commodities (like the little power cells that feed the H90 laser hound).

ShadowLogan wrote:Well they are said to be chips, so perhaps that indicates a removable component (like RAM, CMOS Battery, or Processor Chip on a computer Motherboard). The dialogue bit about the chips doesn't mention them being soldered in, merely installed IIRC.

Given the visuals we're shown, they're being soldered onto circuit boards... tech was a little different in 1985, but in most computer parts even then you did NOT solder down anything you intended to be removable.

ShadowLogan wrote:The show establishes that it's possible to generate a false positive from the Bio-Emulator the team used to bait the Invid. (I don't have GP yet so I don't know if they covered that device yet, but going off the show alone...)

You're misremembering the device... it isn't generating a false positive, it's powered by a cell that clips into it. IIRC, it was akin to a step-up transformer and generator for field use, powered by a single Type-3 HBT cell, instead of being a device designed to draw Invid attention.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Seto Kaiba wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, there are micropower units being developed today designed to be built directly into circuit boards, fuelcells and such designed for electronics. they draw off external sources of fuel, [...]

Therein being the difference...

"no, no different. only different in your mind" it's only external in the sense that the micropower unit itself does not store electrical potential, the way a battery or capacitor does, or store fuel directly inside itself the way a radiothermal generator does.
the on-circuit board fuelcells and micropower units in development use a small supply of fuel, usually hydrogen. With current designs the entire assembly (micropower unit + fuel supply) is being designed as a plug in chip for electronics. the idea being it can replace the batteries and converters of things like cellphones, computer, and other such applications where you need long term, but low output, electrical supplies. the main thing slowing their development is the lack of a hydrogen infrastructure to support them. until that exists, it is more economical to keep using batteries.

there are some patents and plans for radiothermal generator micropower units too, but those mostly suffer from PR and political side effects (they have built in sheilding, and use thermal waste heat from decay to make power, but few enough people today understand nuclear science well enough to know that a tiny Radiothermal generator is safe)

the show never says what a "protoculture chip" is or how it works. like most protoculture related stuff, it's just a name drop.
there is nothing to prevent a protoculture chip being a micropower unit+fuelsupply designed into a single components for installation as an alternative to built in batteries.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:"no, no different. only different in your mind"

Sorry Master Yoda, but you may have missed the part where the Zentradi are shown to be soldering the chips onto circuit boards. The tech that you're on about here is removable, and doesn't match the few known properties of the protoculture substance. Please also remember that this is dialogue from the eighties, and even then "chip" was shorthand for an integrated circuit.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Seto Kaiba wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:"no, no different. only different in your mind"

Sorry Master Yoda, but you may have missed the part where the Zentradi are shown to be soldering the chips onto circuit boards. The tech that you're on about here is removable, and doesn't match the few known properties of the protoculture substance. Please also remember that this is dialogue from the eighties, and even then "chip" was shorthand for an integrated circuit.

doesn't mean the micropower unit couldn't be permanent, and drawing off removable Protoculture supplies. there are versions like that in the works too, where the micropower units draw off fuel supplies you can insert like batteries and remove to be refilled. (nothing like the chance to set a standard for a whole new industry to encourage design teams to patent lots of different approaches)
or they're soldering on recepticals for a module protoculture power unit to plug into, and the actual protoculture chips are being put in offscreen.

the fact is, we don't get a detailed look at what they are actually working on, so saying "no that can't be it" is premature.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:doesn't mean the micropower unit couldn't be permanent, and drawing off removable Protoculture supplies.

That's dependent on the assumption that 1) such a thing exists in Robotech, and 2) that that's what a "protoculture chip" is. Neither can be substantiated.

glitterboy2098 wrote:or they're soldering on recepticals for a module protoculture power unit to plug into, and the actual protoculture chips are being put in offscreen.

That would be inconsistent with the narrator's dialogue, never mind that the term used is common parlance was common parlance for an integrated circuit even back when the show was made. We've wandered off course again tho, so let's take this topic to PMs so the thread can get back on track.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:Given the visuals we're shown, they're being soldered onto circuit boards... tech was a little different in 1985, but in most computer parts even then you did NOT solder down anything you intended to be removable.

But where they actually soldering, or could it be (reasonably) something else?

We should also remember that sometimes characters make reference to events off screen and can sometimes be confused with on-screen events. But as you say, this is getting really off topic so I'm going to drop it for now.

Seto wrote:You're misremembering the device... it isn't generating a false positive, it's powered by a cell that clips into it. IIRC, it was akin to a step-up transformer and generator for field use, powered by a single Type-3 HBT cell, instead of being a device designed to draw Invid attention.

No I'm not misremembering the device. None of the RT Dialogue connects it with using an actual PC cell, in fact it all points to synthetic generation:
Lancer: Okay emulator here's hoping you can give a convincing impersonation of Protoculture activity (places a kiss on the device via two fingers)

Regis: Scanners indicate the protoculture emanations are definitely robotech in origin ... (break for Corg's comment)... However the nature of our readings disturbing the protoculture activity is unusually steady in its dispersal no modulations or fluctuations of any kind almost as if it was being synthetically produced

While we do see Lancer assembling the Bio-Emulator, the cylinder is not identified in the show as a PC cell and could be anything (might store it disassembled to avoid unintentionally activating the device).
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

SRoss wrote:One thing I'm confused about, in the entry on the Alaskan Grand Cannon, the book says the people salvaging the VF's and Destroids would be safe until they activated any of the Protoculture systems. But according to the Macross Saga book, all these mecha are fusion powered. What Protoculture systems?

While reading this thread I've just come to a decision as Game Master. In my campaign I'm over-ruling Tommy, 1st and 2nd Robotech war mecha will be protoculture powered in my campaign ala first edition Robotech. It just works better for me that way. :bandit: To each, their own.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

Ahhh I am waiting on my copy to show up. I have just started a campaign with my group. Off to a good start!
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

OK, I'm kind of piqued with the new RPG .... so there's a new 'organic / mutant' Invid faction running loose in subterranean Genesis Pits all over the planets once subjugated by the Invid? And these Invid are known as Gura?

OK ... since I live in Asia & Palladium RT:RPG products do not even showed up in my country's bookstores, so kindly please somebody enlightened me what's these Gura Invid essentially are?

From the smattering posts on this & several threads, I could only imagined that Gura Invids are most likely resembled the 're-imagined' organic Invid designs done by Hideki Kakinuma in the 2007 issue of Hobby Japan. In his own words, Kakinuma explained:

"The Evolving Menace, Inbit"

As the sponsors placed no specific requests for the Inbit, I was able to design them as I wished. To keep the viewers from being repulsed by the heroes’ (ride-armors) wanton destruction and murder of them, they were given bug-shaped powered armor; the original plan was for these to be the Inbit themselves. As the show progressed, or as the heroes approached the enemy home base, the enemy would advance from primeval many-legged creatures to humanoid shapes; at least that much of the original setting survived...

Originally, the Inbit didn’t have physical forms, but were shapeless lifeforms who came to Earth, experienced its evolution, and then went back to space... was what I wanted to use; rather than not using it, it’s more like the show ended before it came up. Humans may be young as a species, but exist at the height of evolution.

Make the designs easier to draw, fewer details, fewer details... is how they kept directing me. From the sixteen types I’d thought of, in the end we brought it down to four or five.

The 're-imagined' organic Invid by Kakinuma is available here:
http://www.gearsonline.net/series/mospe ... -inbit.jpg

(Image & quote are courtesy of Gearsonline)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

basically, a group of invid which have mutated due to a mix of radiation from the ruins of the Alaskan grand cannon and Genesis pit mutagens. they fused with the organic machines of their mecha, creating a new race of quasi-insects. they look like less mechanical versions of the scouts and troopers. they fly by wings hidden behind an armored shell when on the ground, and their omnivores.
they have a 'queen' called the vicerene, which can shapeshift between a giant gurainvid mecha form (the natural form) and a human form by using a transmutation type power. the vicerene produces new gura-invid via eggs laid in its natural form. the gura-invid follow their queen, and form their own hive mind seperate from the rest of the invid. the two groups literally cannot communicate any more.

so in a sense, it is a similar concept to Mr. Kakinuma idea for the invid, but approached from a completely different direction. :)

in the RPG, it has now been established the invid mecha were based on insect like creatures from the invid homeworld, with the slug like humanoids we see in the show as the actual form of the invid. when Optera was destroyed, the Regis and her race hid in underground genesis pits, and use those insect critters to make the first kinds of mecha. when exposed to odd radiation in the grand cannon (left over from the reactors used to power it, the effects of the orbital bombardment, etc) along with the stuff that lets a genesis change creatures, some of the invid stationed there basically started to turn into a sort of hybrid between invid and the insect like critters their mecha were cloned from, creating a new race of invid.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Protoculture

glitterboy2098 wrote:basically, a group of invid which have mutated due to a mix of radiation from the ruins of the Alaskan grand cannon and Genesis pit mutagens. they fused with the organic machines of their mecha, creating a new race of quasi-insects. they look like less mechanical versions of the scouts and troopers. they fly by wings hidden behind an armored shell when on the ground, and their omnivores.

Ahah! As I deeply suspected, the Gura Invid should more or less resembled the revised / retconned designs of organic Inbit as re-envisioned by Hideki Kakinuma.

they have a 'queen' called the vicerene, which can shapeshift between a giant gurainvid mecha form (the natural form) and a human form by using a transmutation type power.

OOOOOkayyyyyyy .... so a humaniform Invid, with the power to change into organic Gosu / Gorse / Ghoss (as per organic Ghoss done by Kakinuma)

the vicerene produces new gura-invid via eggs laid in its natural form. the gura-invid follow their queen, and form their own hive mind seperate from the rest of the invid. the two groups literally cannot communicate any more.

Interesting ... possibly a carry over tradition when Invid faction splits into two, the Invid controlled by Regess & another faction followed the Regent.

so in a sense, it is a similar concept to Mr. Kakinuma idea for the invid, but approached from a completely different direction. :)

I'm willing to bet the writer for RT: Genesis Pits could've been influenced by Kakinuma's redesigned organic Inbit.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Got my copy on Saturday. Really cool stuff. I would say if you are a GM and running a New Gen/SC campaign it will be a great addition.

This book to me feels like the RPG of old. Lots of just fun game ideas and things to extrapolate from.

:mrgreen:

Lonely soldier boy.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Protoculture wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:basically, a group of invid which have mutated due to a mix of radiation from the ruins of the Alaskan grand cannon and Genesis pit mutagens. they fused with the organic machines of their mecha, creating a new race of quasi-insects. they look like less mechanical versions of the scouts and troopers. they fly by wings hidden behind an armored shell when on the ground, and their omnivores.

Ahah! As I deeply suspected, the Gura Invid should more or less resembled the revised / retconned designs of organic Inbit as re-envisioned by Hideki Kakinuma.

actually, they look like Invid scouts/troopers with spiky organic bits. sort of a "what would the invid look like if crossed with a weird jungle-bug."

they have a 'queen' called the vicerene, which can shapeshift between a giant gurainvid mecha form (the natural form) and a human form by using a transmutation type power.

OOOOOkayyyyyyy .... so a humaniform Invid, with the power to change into organic Gosu / Gorse / Ghoss (as per organic Ghoss done by Kakinuma)
no. the mecha form is described as looking like a gurainvid trooper type mecha with an eggsack-abdomen. sort of an Invid version of the Queen Xenomorph from Aliens
sadly there isn't actual art for that one.. though Taalismn from here on the forums did this bit of art of the Vicerene in human form with some warrior Gura-invid : Image. the outfit is all wrong, but hey, creative preference by the artist there.. shabby UEDF uniforms taken off mummified corpses wouldn't look nearly as neat.

the vicerene produces new gura-invid via eggs laid in its natural form. the gura-invid follow their queen, and form their own hive mind seperate from the rest of the invid. the two groups literally cannot communicate any more.

Interesting ... possibly a carry over tradition when Invid faction splits into two, the Invid controlled by Regess & another faction followed the Regent.

more like evolution in action. the Gura-invid are a new species. a new hive.
the regis/regent split is actually mirrored in the Gura-invid actually.. there
is a 'male' version of the vicerene that formed at the same time as the first vicerene, which leads a second hive in the same area. apparently while he takes on a male human form, his other form is still capable of laying eggs. his hive though hasn't produced a new generation of Viceroy's the way the Vicerene has produced daughters. (said daughters are apparently not yet fertile however..)

I'm willing to bet the writer for RT: Genesis Pits could've been influenced by Kakinuma's redesigned organic Inbit.

i wouldn't be surprised. it had been a topic of discussion here for awhile before the Genesis pits book was announced.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
no. the mecha form is described as looking like a gurainvid trooper type mecha with an eggsack-abdomen. sort of an Invid version of the Queen Xenomorph from Aliens
sadly there isn't actual art for that one.. though Taalismn from here on the forums did this bit of art of the Vicerene in human form with some warrior Gura-invid : Image. the outfit is all wrong, but hey, creative preference by the artist there.. shabby UEDF uniforms taken off mummified corpses wouldn't look nearly as neat.
The hair is all wrong, both in color and style; and I tend to think that a Vicereine in a shabby UEDF uniform would be a very appropriate look for her.
Nursahburen
Wanderer
Comment: i have DIM MAK.

Unread post by Nursahburen »

The Scientist was supposed to be in Genesis Pits.. guess it got cut... and the Sentinels races are "supposed" to appear in Marines books as far as I know.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I like the book, it has useful information. I will not have a Genesis pit on every planet the invid had garrisons on, but I like the idea that a force of Inorganics could be sitting there following thier last given orders.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Nursahburen
Wanderer
Comment: i have DIM MAK.

Unread post by Nursahburen »

The Invid Scientist is also slated to appear in one of the Marines books... Genesis Pits is GREAT... tons of new and useful information!
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Just picked it up tonight. Had a good look-through, liking what I saw (especially the return of certain pieces of art) Will post a review after I had a good look at it. Suffice to say, add this book to your RT files.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
MilkManX
Wanderer

Yeah if you are running a New Gen/Sentinels/SC era game this book a great resource for adventures. I had not even thought of using a Genesis pit but now I have conveniently decided there will be one should the group head in a certain direction.. can we say GURA.

Lonely soldier boy.
Protoculture

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, they look like Invid scouts/troopers with spiky organic bits. sort of a "what would the invid look like if crossed with a weird jungle-bug."

Ouchhhh ..... Well, I think I'd rather stick with the more natural organic feral Invid designed by Kakinuma. Now that's more Guraaa ....

Another ouchhhh! A powerful Invid simulagent that controls a new hive & legions of feral Invid get a pseudo-Invid shocktroop with egg-sack? huh???? I think I'd rather stomach a Vicerene that can morphed into re-imagined organic Gosu done by Kakinuma.

more like evolution in action. the Gura-invid are a new species. a new hive.
the regis/regent split is actually mirrored in the Gura-invid actually.. there
is a 'male' version of the vicerene that formed at the same time as the first vicerene, which leads a second hive in the same area. apparently while he takes on a male human form, his other form is still capable of laying eggs. his hive though hasn't produced a new generation of Viceroy's the way the Vicerene has produced daughters. (said daughters are apparently not yet fertile however..)

WHAT? A MALE INVID-LAYING EGGS?

i wouldn't be surprised. it had been a topic of discussion here for awhile before the Genesis pits book was announced.

Y'know, given the penchant that Tommy Yune & TPTB at HG over the years sticking ever closer to the OSM, I'm quite surprised that RT: Genesis Pits the RPG managed to come up with fairly quite an original idea with Gura Invid & approved by Tommy.
Protoculture

MilkManX wrote:Yeah if you are running a New Gen/Sentinels/SC era game this book a great resource for adventures. I had not even thought of using a Genesis pit but now I have conveniently decided there will be one should the group head in a certain direction.. can we say GURA.

Genesis Pit based adventure should have been great by now. Atleast the RT RPG 2nd Ed given the Genesis Pit description & treatment much better as compared to other official / secondary Robotech sources such as RT: Sentinel (comics / novelizations).

In the previous decanonized Sentinel comics / novels, Genesis Pits are nothing more then a place for churning out of montrosities described as bio-organic pool where some unlucky suckers (add Sentinel / Human race or unlucky Invid grub earned the wrath of Regent) get thrown into it & wallahhhh .... your monster of the day (or big nasty lookin' Kaiju).
Protoculture

Gryphon wrote:....... a "Sentinels" Era campaign (or whatever we are supposed to call it now!)

Ohhhh, I'm willing to bet the new pseudo Sentinel could be renamed as RT: UEEF Marine Corps! :lol:
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

ZINO wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:I saw one of Genesis Pits at Compleat Strategist just yesterday. Had a skim-through while waiting. It looks very impressive. I may pick it up to add to all my 1st edition stuff, if it's compatible (yes, I know, stupid question).....

hey i go there too!!Compleat Strategis NY NYC
you from NYC??

Sorry ZINO, I didn't see this until now. I live on LI, & when a new book comes out I call 'The Strat' (as I call it) within a week or so & confirm the book's availability. If I can, I go into Manhattan via LIRR & pick it up. I try to time the trips with a couple of other social events so I can save travel costs.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Th Edwardian Mutiny. Regency, Edwardian, go by British dynastic in-jokes.
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
cawest
Wanderer

Unread post by cawest »

I really like the book, the one let down that sticks out was that they only had one Frankenmech...the pits would have been a great place to put a lot of different franken units, will maybe in the next book
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

well, we did get a ton of animals (even if a few were sorta-reprints), and a bunch of alien mecha, so the lack of IMU's was not a major issue. plus we got starships, which is great.

In my opinion, frankenmechs are something that can quickly grow annoying. there are only so many reasonable combinations of parts, after all. plus the book's focus was on genesis pits, not mecha. so i think what we got worked.

plus we got Direwolves. now another project of mine doesn't need as much work. :)

i do wish we'd gotten info on the Grand Canyon pit, as mentioned in this murmur. either Kevin mistyped "grand cannon" (an easy enough mistake), or there were some pits in the original document that got cut for space.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”