Names for rune weapons?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Names for rune weapons?

Unread post by Severite »

My group is composed to two new players, and one who has only really had experience with 3.5 D&D. I am letting them learn the setting a little at a time, and after they have finished saving their village/area, I plan on focusing on the different aspects of the elf/dwarf war, letting them go through different dungeons, ruined cities, and other relics, and then culminating with a showdown with a sleeping old one. Right now, I am planning to give each of the player characters a rune weapon, that they will awaken and empower (2 men at arms dwarf, 1 elf mage, and 1 NPC Orc clergy). One dwarf has Bloodsmear, made at the end of the war, that returns when thrown, and I plan to give the other dwarf a race neutral weapon that is an offhand weapon that adds defence, and the mage is going to get one that can store any spell once a day, and can cast a few other spells, plus can paralyse once a day.

My question is I have the concept for Bloodsmear fully fleshed out, but Im willing to take suggestions on the other two, and, if I do use these, I need names =)
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Names for rune weapons?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Bob

Angelica

Fulda

Vasa

The Intel of each rune item will have a name that is seperate from the "storyed" name of the rune item.
I take it you are asking for the story names for two "storyed" rune items. And not the personal names of the intel's powering them.

English---elvish
Leaping Flame---Lach
The Steadfastness---Voronwë
Thor---Torrent
Dark Cleaver--Morcrist
Star Flame Iron---Anglachel
Name Cleaver---Essegrist (see the "Sever Name" spell)
Cleaver of Dwarves---Hyando Nogoth
Empty Dwelling---Marlost

english--Black Speach (used by the servants of Mordor)
Dark Fire---Burz Ghâsh
The Dominating Fire---Durbat Ghâsh
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Kalina'Lasse (Lightleaf in elvish)
Rune Dagger
The blade itself is made out damascened (wavy marking in on a leaf shaped blade) steel with a black oak and mithril hilt and a brilliant emerald in the pommel. The emerald itself has an etching of an oak tree inside it that follows the seasons (loses leaves in winter etc). It is an elegant weapon designed to help fight off despoilers of the forests of old, specifically the destructive goblinoid races. Lightleaf's personality is very quiet, she doesn't like to speak much and will mostly not respond to questions or general talking unless you are a despoiler of forests/nature. Then she will urge the wielder to drive her through the eyes of her opponent as they deserve not to be able to see the beauty they destroy. She was wielded by an ranger called Aranger Treesearcher during the time of a thousand magics helping to protect those who were trying to stop the destruction of nature.

Damage: 1d6 vs good aligned, 2d6 vs evil and 2d6+10 vs evil goblinoids.
Bonuses
+2 Strike, +3 Thrown, returns at the end of the round when thrown.
Special: Petrification, 3 times a day leaflight can cause a goblinoid she has struck and drawn blood to make a save vs spell magic at -3 or be transformed into wood. This only works on goblinoids and if the wood is mulched or shaved triples the growing speed of whatever it is used to fertilise.

Spells 6x daily (not each one 6 times a day, just any combination up to 6 times in a day, resets at dawn)
Animate Plants
Spirit of the Wolf
Eyes of the Wolf
Camouflage
Create Fog

No Curse
Last edited by kiralon on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

The Sundering
2 Handed Rune Maul
This is a massive 2 handed maul made entirely out of volcanic glass with manticore hide leather for grips. The runes themselves are somehow etched inside the head of the maul and slowly light up during combat, giving the area around the wielder a bloody blackened light.
The Sundering was made by the great dwarf smith Jaerk Darkstone and the Kobold archmage TalksOnGravel, together they fought an elemental entity and eventually bound it into the maul. Jaerk Darkstone then went one and founded a dwarf fort in the land of the damned mountains with 2000 brethren and died at the hands of The Demon Lord of Balrogs (its what happens when your a dwarf, you dig too deep and wake up something ancient and evil). Apparently there is a hoard of precious metals and stones waiting to be taken if anyone can find the abandoned? underground fortress, and The Sundering isn't talking.

Damage: 2D6 open ended. if you roll any sixes roll again and add total, repeat until the die doesnt show a 6 up to a maximum of 12D6. However the number required to keep rolling lowers depending on how many living sentient kills (i.e people not animals, demons do count, undead don't.) since last sunset. Runes inside the head of the maul to signify what level the maul is at, and each rune lit up adds 1 Lanterns worth of light.
5+ kills: 5+
10+ kills: 4+
20+ kills: 3+
50+ kills 2+
100+ kills 1+
also every 2 Balrog kills increases the minimum damage dice by 1d6 from 2d6 up to a maximum of 6D6, this is over the lifetime of the wielder.
So once you have killed 100 creatures in a sunset to sunset period you will do 72 points of damage per blow, (or 144 for a crit)
Bonuses:
+4 Strike, -4 Parry, re-roll 1 for damage when it criticals, criticals on 1 less then normal (19 rather then 20 etc), when a natural 20 is rolled double the damage done is also applied to the targets armour, usually sundering the armour.
Unless fighting a Balrog, Then its +5 Strike, +10 Damage, and if it rolls a critical it re-rolls 1's and 2's for damage.

Powers
The wielder doesnt gain more fatigue when in combat, so technically he can fight forever as long as the fight doesnt end (still needs to eat and drink though).
PitStrike.
Once a day wielder can strike the ground and make a 10ft x 10ft x 30ft deep hole, the target has to dodge or end up at the bottom of the hole. (This only works on natural ground, not stone or worked stone or wood).

Can only be wielded by those with a strength of 16 or higher

Curse
The weapon is too confusing to work out easily. When it gets to his initiative action the pc has 10 seconds to figure out how many dice he uses and what number is required or he misses his go.
Last edited by kiralon on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The best names for weapons are earned, not given. Sting wasn't Sting until Bilbo won his battle against the giant spiders of Mirkwood.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Maybe, excalibur was excalibur before Arthur got his hands on it.
but having a story to go along with it is always better.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

I meant 'nicknames', indeed. They will learn their true names of their weapon on the second or third story arc. I need name that fill the essence of what I want them to be. The dagger for the elf I am leaning toward being 'spite', or another, better name, if I find one. Anyways, thank you for your time, and ideas =)
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Severite wrote:I meant 'nicknames', indeed. They will learn their true names of their weapon on the second or third story arc. I need name that fill the essence of what I want them to be. The dagger for the elf I am leaning toward being 'spite', or another, better name, if I find one. Anyways, thank you for your time, and ideas =)

Ok this cought my eye here and got my mind working. Considering my horrendous lack of recent info on Palladium releases, (I haven't been to a decent game shop on a regular basis for nigh on 10 years now) is there any info on this in print? I'm guessing it there is it's in a Rifter, so if it is, which one? The possibilities of what actually happens if someone knows the True Name of a Rune Weapon has my mind suddenly running a few miles a minute... :twisted:
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Runey McRuneweapon - the runiest rune weapon that ever runed!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Tear the binate dagger (Woe and Rip) (pronounced teeah and tare)
so a dagger with 2 aspects.
as Woe maybe an assassins dagger that poisons
as Rip maybe changes to a hook bladed knife that leaves terrible wounds that keep bleeding

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”