experimenting on a mutant

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

experimenting on a mutant

Unread post by say652 »

After much research(reading tons of comics) a popular theme in the genre is the government capturing mutants and experimenting on them. My question is in game terms is this a duel class type thing or a megahero, i.e mutant level-x dual class experiment or a mutant/experiment level one just use the megahero xp table.
Genhuman
Wanderer

Re: experimenting on a mutant

Unread post by Genhuman »

If its just in terms of a cool backstory, can go with either a mutant or an experiment character with an interesting tale to spin around the campfire.

If the goal/result is to gain more powers than a mutant or experiment would have normally, you would be treading in the realm of the mega-hero.
My mother was a test tube, my father was a knife.

More human than human.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

It's worth noting, within the main HU2 rulebook, there seems to be a fair amount of crossover between the "Mutant" and "Experiment" categories. On the mutant background table both "Deliberate Experiment" and "Accidental exposure to mutagenic substance" are possible explanations for the character's mutant power. So, if you want to play a mutant who was experimented on, it seems to be you could just pick either category and if would work just fine.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Also if you have Powers Unlimited 2, the 'Super Soldier' experiment has "Nature of Test Subject" supject is a mutant.....further implying that a mutant can be experimented on
The Dragon Has Spoken
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Remember, there is a "cause of mutation" that suggestions "experimentation"...
Now if you take an existing player and after some time gets captured by the evil government and experimented on, it is up to you how much of the experiment class melds with the mutant in this example.

If you only add 1 or 2 abilities and a side effect or 2, then I would say they are still just a mutant.

If you swap out some of there original abilities for new ones, then still a mutant with a "cause for mutation:experimentation.

If you give that same mutant his full starting abilities AND a full experiment class abilities, then congratulations you just made a mega-hero [in my opinion]/
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

We did this a couple times with HUr. We crossed over mutant animal characters from TMNT and after some event. (inhaling a lungful of vampyre in mist form, a long space adventure) our "mutants" developed a random # of random superpowers (we used the charts in the HU book). I don't think it made them mega heroes so much as just made them Anthropomorphic Animal X super heroes.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:We did this a couple times with HUr. We crossed over mutant animal characters from TMNT and after some event. (inhaling a lungful of vampyre in mist form, a long space adventure) our "mutants" developed a random # of random superpowers (we used the charts in the HU book). I don't think it made them mega heroes so much as just made them Anthropomorphic Animal X super heroes.

Something the game is woefully ill-prepared to allow for, a mutant animal generally isn't much better than a human (and more on par with what you'd expected for a well trained one) and the cost is prohibitively expensive for a mutant animal to have any super-powers at all other than super-senses (with what they do have inferior to a superhuman with super-senses).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Nightmask, I was 10-12. My GM uncle was 16-18. Not a lot of caring was given to if it was supposed to work. That's one of the beauties of the Palladium system. You can tweak, bend, break the rules to suit your game and it doesn't really wreck the system.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
stankind
D-Bee

Unread post by stankind »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Nightmask, I was 10-12. My GM uncle was 16-18. Not a lot of caring was given to if it was supposed to work. That's one of the beauties of the Palladium system. You can tweak, bend, break the rules to suit your game and it doesn't really wreck the system.

I totally agree with you there, Nate!
I believe that it is our right and responsibility to adapt any rules as we see fit for our games.
If memory serves me correctly, Kevin S. also shares this belief. Atleast that is what I gather from his statements in various Rifters and source books.
stankind
D-Bee

Unread post by stankind »

I forgot to keep this thread on track, sorry.

The one thing that I would do with the experimenting on existing mutant characters is also include some possible side-effects.
I could see a potential to role on the Insanities table as a negative to offset the gain in abilities.
Also, you can add another 1 or 2 side effects from the experiment table.

I would make it a random roll, unless you see a side effect or two that would advance the story (or add some humor ;) ).
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I have been running a street level game for a few years now, and I'm gearing up to give a power nudge across the board. Nothing too grand, but enough to place them a little further up the chain.

I am giving them a couple of super soldier enhancements. Seems appropriate, and very neat.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

the idea started to form when I rolled up my humanoid alien experiment. 4 rolls on mutation chart then create an experiment. as in the new book. so for an uber powerful mutant experiment use the megahero xptables but roll your mutant then roll on experiment tables. I think I will take away an entire skill set to balance this one out. way strong but spent a lot of time learning powers so I feel skills should be reduced. thanks for the civilized and grownup discussion.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

SG posted a nifty table for experimenting on mutants.
But a couple of minors and/or some side effects shouldn't wreck a game.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

wolfsgrin wrote:SG posted a nifty table for experimenting on mutants.
But a couple of minors and/or some side effects shouldn't wreck a game.
You must be referring to this table here:
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... uperbeings
My table refers to tables in the Mutant Characteristics Table which can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45714&hilit=mutant+traits+table
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Indeed good sir. Thanks for posting that.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Remember, there is a "cause of mutation" that suggestions "experimentation"...
I figure that's more for mutants created by experiments than already-mutants getting experiments.

As for it being a mega-hero, let's keep in mind that you get full Experiment power classes along with whatever bonus powers you get from the Halcyon protocal in Century Station. It's the only way to explain the quantity of powers that the Creator has (although Killswitch breaks the rules so maybe he does also)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

so in response to my original post. if i wanted to roll on the tables in the Experiment table and the Mutant table what is it classified as? Megahero????

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”