Mass battles

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

scottypotty
D-Bee

Mass battles

Unread post by scottypotty »

Is there any sourcebook or Rifter article that covers any rules for large-scale battles? It's an element to fantasy settings that I really enjoy from time to time.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Mass battles

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

One of the rifters does IIRC
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

The Dark Elf wrote:One of the rifters does IIRC

Rifter #22
scottypotty
D-Bee

Drive thru RPG here I come.

Edit: That my not really be what I'm looking for. I was looking for player oriented large scale battle stuff.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

scottypotty wrote:Drive thru RPG here I come.

Edit: That my not really be what I'm looking for. I was looking for player oriented large scale battle stuff.

That's about as player oriented as you can get. Most characters, especially in SDC settings like PFRPG, aren't going to be able to take on hordes of enemy troops all by themselves (not like AD&D 1 & 2, where a high-level fighter could, with some good dice rolls & nice magic equipment, take on an entire tribe of 100-200 goblins).

If you're looking for your characters to take part in large-scale combat, it's usually best to either fudge the stuff that doesn't involve them directly (i.e. focus on rolling the combat they take part it, but use GM fiat to determine the rest of the battle), or use large-scale combat rules for everything that's not direct interaction. Kind of like how FASA/Catalyst Games has BattleForce & BattleForce 2 to simplify & streamline large-scale unit combat in their BattleTech game.
scottypotty
D-Bee

I was originally thinking like how L5R does it. Engage the characters on a level dependent on how well and skillfully negotiate the battlefield. It's probably never gotten much attention because it's not a focus of most Palladium games.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”