In Pursuit of True Evil.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Looonatic
Adventurer

In Pursuit of True Evil.

Unread post by Looonatic »

Okay, I'm GMing an campaign. The campaign revolves around a party of mercenaries that belong to a larger mercenary group. This mercenary company is unique in that every member is somehow superhuman( juicers, crazies, cyborgs, superhuman mutants, etc). The party members have just discovered that for the past year, a publisher in Merctown has been selling comic books based on the mercenary company.

One of the party members is now trying to seek.... wait for it.... a Lawyer! :eek:

So in a world of demons, bandits and chaos, is there any room for the pure ineffable evil that is the Lawyer? :?
Last edited by Looonatic on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Timmee
D-Bee

Re: In Pursuit True Evil.

Unread post by Timmee »

Looonatic wrote:Okay, I'm GMing an campaign. The campaign revolves around a party of mercenaries that belong to a larger mercenary group. This mercenary company is unique in that every member is somehow superhuman( juicers, crazies, cyborgs, superhuman mutants, etc). The party members have just discovered that for the past year, a publisher in Merctown has been selling comic books based on the mercenary company.

One of the party members is now trying to seek.... wait for it.... a Lawyer! :eek:

So in a world of demons, bandits and chaos, is there any room for the pure ineffable evil that is the Lawyer? :?

They're too busy working for the leader of their people, Splyncryth. :lol:
Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

Famous Last Words:
Trust me, it isn't dangerous.
I know exactly what I'm doing.
Y'all come watch this.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

there are Defense Attorneys described in Rifts Black Market.
You probably want someone for a civil case, but im sure they will take it if you have the credits
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Actually I did start on a Litigator Demon to complement an IRS Auditor Demon I came up with many moons ago. Though 'demon' is rather a misnomer; they came from a dimension that was very well organized and bureaucratic...sort of like the Chinese Celestial Courts and Hells. No necessarily evil, just very hidebound. They'd be an incredible asset on your side, but effectively demonic if they were persecuting you or suing you.

Actually, a (successful) Lawyer on Rifts Earth would have a pretty exciting life...you'd have to know the ins and outs of various legal systems, including magic and psionic-tolerant ones, many not human, and many of them very well armed. And you'd have to be perceptive and quick on your feet, because many communities might have a code duello, or local sentiments(especially if you're representing somebody unpopular) might have people taking shots at you. In the CS, you'd walk a careful line...as much as the CS pays close attention to those laws it imposes on itself, it hates it when the letter of it succeeds over the intent of it...so successfully defending a mage or d-bee in a CS court(who knows, if you're THAT good, you just might be able to pull it off) gives you a bad rep as a 'd-bee lover' and puts you quietly on a hit list.
And a good lawyer might have to know when it's obvious your client is being railroaded in a local court, bound for an unjustified execution, and that it's time to make a decision; let the client swing, or break the local laws yourself and arrange an escape? Plainclothes body armor would be a must under such circumstances.

I figure most Rifts Lawyers would be criminal law lawyers, as copyrights have gone the way of the dodo(hell, the Black Market LIVES from knockoff profits), making their work even more exciting. Especially if the only reason you're allowed to work is because a community wants to prove that they're 'civilized', though it's expected that you'll know the truth that the local warlord or tyrant can overrule an unfavorable decision at will.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Looonatic
Adventurer

Good stuff so far.

Here's a lawyer joke: What's the difference between a lawyer and a trampoline?

Spoiler:
You take off your shoes to jump on the trampoline.
taalismn
Priest

And there is of course the possibility of a Crazy with multiple personality disorder choosing the personality that's a lawyer to defend the bloodthirsty killer personality in court, lending a new wrinkle to the saying 'the man who serves as his own lawyer as an idiot for a client'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Wait even a cataclysim does not get rid of lawers. Well the skills to be a lawer are on the books Knowledge law and negation. I am shure Nurni Enterpises has 1 or 2 billion on retainer wonder if you can borrow one of theres.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:Wait even a cataclysim does not get rid of lawers. Well the skills to be a lawer are on the books Knowledge law and negation. I am shure Nurni Enterpises has 1 or 2 billion on retainer wonder if you can borrow one of theres.

It's their 'legal assistants' that you really have to worry about...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Re: In Pursuit of True Evil.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Interesting idea...Rifts courtroom drama.

Denny Crane: Cyborg at Law (half man half actual crane).

In a case of he-said/she-said instead of submitting to a lie detector they would bring in a psychic and do a mind probe. Also all evidence would be 'read' with object read.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
taalismn
Priest

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Interesting idea...Rifts courtroom drama.

Denny Crane: Cyborg at Law (half man half actual crane).

In a case of he-said/she-said instead of submitting to a lie detector they would bring in a psychic and do a mind probe. Also all evidence would be 'read' with object read.

"I charge jury tampering via empathic projection!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

taalismn wrote:And there is of course the possibility of a Crazy with multiple personality disorder choosing the personality that's a lawyer to defend the bloodthirsty killer personality in court, lending a new wrinkle to the saying 'the man who serves as his own lawyer as an idiot for a client'.

Or the crazy's multiple personalities include a prosecuting lawyer, AND a defence lawyer, both hired by either side unaware of the other.

The courtroom drama would just be awesome.

Ooooooh... new term for this situation: He'd be a Legal Smeagol.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
taalismn
Priest

"Your citing as precedence an obscure, long-lost, yet unrepealed, Atlantean law is impressive..."
"Thank you, Judge."
"Unfortunately for you, this is Texas and we're using the law as laid down in the town of DryGulch, and yes, blowing the head off the barkeep CAN result in your client being hung from the neck until dead."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Please tell me this lawyer is a Phoenixi.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
scottypotty
D-Bee

Unread post by scottypotty »

Some cities may use judicial champions instead. To get your royalties you may need to take on a Glitter Boy one on one. That would seem to avoid frivolous lawsuits.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

scottypotty wrote:Some cities may use judicial champions instead. To get your royalties you may need to take on a Glitter Boy one on one. That would seem to avoid frivolous lawsuits.

And prevent anything from demons and dragons from getting justice heheheheh
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

It depends on if the creatures have a code of ethical behavior. In D&D, Devils are Lawful Evil. They have rules. Demons are chaotic. They rule by force or fear. Others rule by self interest.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Well if you are using magic and psi to prove guilt then a neaga psi defence aterny whould realy screw them up. Or a group mind block, or mind block auto defence.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Subjugator wrote:It depends on if the creatures have a code of ethical behavior. In D&D, Devils are Lawful Evil. They have rules. Demons are chaotic. They rule by force or fear. Others rule by self interest.

By tradition, most Chinese demons are the ultimate bureaucrats. They can't touch you so long as you obey a set of rules. Djinni are the same, and are experts at interpreting a 'wish' in the way that most pleases them.

Look at other races portrayed in science fiction/fantasy for ideas. The Kzinti, for example, cannot lie (their honour, and perhaps their genetics, prevents them), but they may either not say anything, or say a partial truth that can be misconstrued by the listener. In a court where all parties are forced by psionic/magical power to tell the truth, such a skill would be desirable.

Jim Carrey in 'liar liar' is the opposite of this. He seems compelled to talk (the scene that made me mad was as he ran from a homeless guy asking 'do you have a dollar?' and he said 'of course!'... all he needed to do was say nothing).. mind you, that's what passes for a comedy anyway.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Look at other races portrayed in science fiction/fantasy for ideas. The Kzinti, for example, cannot lie (their honour, and perhaps their genetics, prevents them), but they may either not say anything, or say a partial truth that can be misconstrued by the listener. In a court where all parties are forced by psionic/magical power to tell the truth, such a skill would be desirable.

Fun fact: At least until the reboot (and possibly after), the Kzinti (and presumably the rest of the Known Space species) were part of the Star Trek universe. I don't know if they were removed at the time of the reboot, but I don't see why they would be.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kzinti

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

In Australia the roaches grew to giant size, did the lawyers get additional powers?
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

DevastationBob wrote:In Australia the roaches grew to giant size, did the lawyers get additional powers?

No, but Jeff Kennett got his personality digitised and rules Melbourne. His face appearing on every wall, computer screen, and mirror.

I also just realised that Jeff Kennett could be convincingly played by Robert de Niro. This does not help my state of mind.

Looonatic
Adventurer

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
taalismn wrote:And there is of course the possibility of a Crazy with multiple personality disorder choosing the personality that's a lawyer to defend the bloodthirsty killer personality in court, lending a new wrinkle to the saying 'the man who serves as his own lawyer as an idiot for a client'.

Or the crazy's multiple personalities include a prosecuting lawyer, AND a defence lawyer, both hired by either side unaware of the other.

The courtroom drama would just be awesome.

Ooooooh... new term for this situation: He'd be a Legal Smeagol.

Legal Smeagol. This is the sunshine of my day. :lol:

Return to “Rifts®”