How do I get magic characters into CS territory?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zamion138
Hero

Re: How do I get magic characters into CS territory?

Unread post by Zamion138 »

If possible do some astral scouting of the lay of the land.
If you have it hide aura or mask ppe work great.
The glitterboy if not licensed and all will be just as hard to get into town.
How far into cs territory is the city? Would frontiers folk be welcome of is this deep in cs land where it would be mighty suspicious? Is their a blackmarket forger in town?

Can you make a big distraction and sneek in the other side?
Is it a walled city?
How many dog boy patrols are their?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mercenary Adventures has a combat mage spell (though combat mage spells can be learned as standard invocations by other OCC's in limited quantity) called Mystic Invisibility that will completely conceal you from a psi-stalkers and dog boys detection.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Phew.
Sneaking a mage into a CS city should be pretty tough.

Although, I think there is one way to do it: get four cybernetic implants. That will destroy your magical abilities, and drop your PPE down to 10% of its normal level.

In a pinch, you could go with getting four Clock Calendars. That'd only cost CR 800.
It might arouse suspicion, though, if they notice that you have four of the same implant.
A Clock Calendar, Gyro-Compass, Simple ID Chip, and a Speedometer would total out around CR 1,500.
IF the GM allows for "Snaps, hooks, tabs, loops, buckles and velcro body attachments" to count as implants for this purpose, you could get by with only CR 400 in costs.
That should keep them from detecting you by your PPE levels, or by noticing when you cast a spell (because you can't cast a spell).
It should even keep See Aura from noticing anything odd about you.
You'd still have to worry about Telepathy at checkpoints and such, but you could try to blank your mind any time you think you might be near a Telepath, and that'll give you a save.

Then, when you're back safely out of the city, you can have the implants removed.
In a pinch, you could try cutting them out yourself, if you have to.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zamion138
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:Phew.

Although, I think there is one way to do it: get four cybernetic implants. That will destroy your magical abilities, and drop your PPE down to 10% of its normal level.

In a pinch, you could go with getting four Clock Calendars. That'd only cost CR 800.
It might arouse suspicion, though, if they notice that you have four of the same implant.
A Clock Calendar, Gyro-Compass, Simple ID Chip, and a Speedometer would total out around CR 1,500.
IF the GM allows for "Snaps, hooks, tabs, loops, buckles and velcro body attachments" to count as implants for this purpose, you could get by with only CR 400 in costs.
That should keep them from detecting you by your PPE levels, or by noticing when you cast a spell (because you can't cast a spell).
You'd still have to worry about Telepathy at checkpoints and such, but you could try to blank your mind any time you think you might be near a Telepath, and that'll give you a save.

Then, when you're back safely out of the city, you can have the implants removed.

Even if they are removed the damadge is done you dont get the ppe back apon removal.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Zamion138 wrote:

Even if they are removed the damadge is done you dont get the ppe back apon removal.

Where's it say that?

Edit:
According to the Bionics Sourcebook, p. 49:
Removal of these implants or cyber-appendage completely restores the character's psionic or magical powers...
...Remove the interfering implant, limb, etc. and the body may be crippled, but the mage or psychic abilities are restored.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

There is also the 9th level invocation spell, Transferal.

For extra fun, make a Dog Boy or Psi-stalker the recipient.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Here are some ideas that may be helpful

1. Have someone in the burbs selling a psy/magic neutralizing spray that lasts for 1d4 he's
2. A underground tunnel that leads into the city that the coalition is unaware of
3. A crooked coalition iss officer who is willing to pretend to arrest the players and lead then into the city and let them go in a secluded region for 500-2000 credits, the iss officer could have a gambling debt or drug addiction and needs the money ASAP
4. A temporal rift that accidentally drops them into a upstairs room of a inn inside chit own
5. The coalition is seeking to gain info on some random magic/psy town and is willing to interview magic users/psychics for a small amount of credits

I hope that helps :0)
~ Love Conquers All ~
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

One more idea,

have the player characters basically rescue A teenage boy or girl from a group of bandits/rouges/gang members

once the police arrive, the teenagers father,who is a high ranking coalition officer, arrives and is so thankful to the PCs that he allows them to enter the city to claim a reward from his residence, thusly granting them a day or week pass which allows them free reign of the city
~ Love Conquers All ~
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Cybermancer wrote:There is also the 9th level invocation spell, Transferal.

For extra fun, make a Dog Boy or Psi-stalker the recipient.

That is EVIL! I like it! One question though, how would one get close enough to make a Dog Boy or Psi-Stalker (or any CS soldier for that matter) the recipient without being detected?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Have a friendly psi stalker to cut and drain you on a regular basis while you're in CS territory :)
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Mercenary Adventures has a combat mage spell (though combat mage spells can be learned as standard invocations by other OCC's in limited quantity) called Mystic Invisibility that will completely conceal you from a psi-stalkers and dog boys detection.

Huh. I didn't know that book has spells in it. Looks like I'll have to update my spreadsheet.
Zamion138
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

Where's it say that?

Edit:
According to the Bionics Sourcebook, p. 49:
Removal of these implants or cyber-appendage completely restores the character's psionic or magical powers...
...Remove the interfering implant, limb, etc. and the body may be crippled, but the mage or psychic abilities are restored.

I bow to your knowledge then......I thought it was gone for good.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Little Snuzzles wrote:Another good way to distract CS guards is to cast Armor Bizzare on one of them. :D

That's quite possibly the best idea I've heard on this topic in a long time...
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If there are enough magic events in the area, the dog boy's senses won't be able to track a magic user unless the magic user is actively using magic and is the most powerful magic in the area. So send a couple dozen magic pigeons (or more, depending on how big the town is) and then sneak in without using magic. As long as you don't use magic you should be fine, but if they see aura you, they can still detect that you are a mage even if you're not using magic at the time.

It's up to the GM if the psychic sensitive power Mask PPE can defeat See Aura, although from the description, I think that is the intent.
GMG p95, Mask PPE wrote:This power is especially good as protection against Psi-Stalkers and other PPE vampires. Mystics can easily hide their magical powers through this psionic concealment"

Finally, RUE gives a lower PPE bound of 80 for the mage to be detected as having high PPE, so if you can keep you PPE below 80 and manage never to viewed with See Aura, you should go undetected. I'm not sure the best way to do that.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Do your laundry with the magical spell Cleanse, then when you're drained, enter the city. Might as well use that PPE for something practical :)

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
flatline
Knight

I've always wondered by See Aura can determine if you're a magic user. It seems strange that knowledge is reflected in your aura.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

The absolute best way to get into a CS city when you're magic user is in chains.

Or a bodybag.

:nh: Mages

But i agree with Lucky

Lucky wrote:The easiest way IMO would be Star Wars style: in chains through the front door. All you'll need is a suit of dead boy armor, some cuffs, and perhaps a bit of forged paperwork.

And again

Lucky wrote:Also don't ignore the human element in this situation; there is bound to be a corrupt official, disgruntled employee, impoverished maintenance worker, guard with gambling debt, etc. that can be exploited.

hope it goes well
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

spend the credits on citizenship,registor and join the army.
The Beast

I think this clip sums up how nicely.
The Beast

Gryphon wrote:Wait?! Dogboys can just smell a mage now? Even if he isn't casting or sustaining a spell effect? That sort of sucks really, since a mage that actually gets in a city is already in trouble if he casts a spell, since they can all find him from that point anyhow, even of he moves on.

They've always been able to do that.
flatline
Knight

Gryphon wrote:I thought it was only active magic, and that's how I have always been running it. Seems I have another entry to the "what have you misconstrued in Rifts" thread now!

You only have to worry about it if you have 80+ PPE according to RUE.

--flatline

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Because. That's it ;)

Pepsi Jedi
flatline
Knight

Gryphon wrote:80+ potential points, or 80+ points at that moment in time? From what many have said above, it seems like they mean the latter, but that doesn't seem right to me somehow. Your potential isn't affected by your current reserves, so why would you suddenly drop off the nose-dar of the Dogboys just because you blew your reserves on your laundry first?

Because they're sensing your PPE, not your capacity for PPE.

A light bulb is only easy to see in the dark when it's lit up. Turn it off and suddenly it's not so easy to find.

--flatline

dragonfett
Knight

flatline wrote:
Gryphon wrote:80+ potential points, or 80+ points at that moment in time? From what many have said above, it seems like they mean the latter, but that doesn't seem right to me somehow. Your potential isn't affected by your current reserves, so why would you suddenly drop off the nose-dar of the Dogboys just because you blew your reserves on your laundry first?

A light bulb is only easy to see in the dark when it's lit up. Turn it off and suddenly it's not so easy to find.

--flatline

How philosophical.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
flatline
Knight

Skidrifter wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Excellent analogy...nice...

I'll see if I can come up with a better one. I don't actually like this one much since a light bulb is consuming energy when radiating but a mage is simply storing PPE above a specific level (80+).

--flatline

Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:
Skidrifter wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Excellent analogy...nice...

I'll see if I can come up with a better one. I don't actually like this one much since a light bulb is consuming energy when radiating but a mage is simply storing PPE above a specific level (80+).

--flatline

Hm.
The ability of Dog Boys to sense the PPE in mages indicates that the mages are radiating energy. That, or the Dog Boys are emitting some kind of radar pulses, which seems less likely.
Logically, radiating this energy would consume energy, much like a light bulb does. It's just safe to assume that the energy being radiated by the mage is significantly less than the mage is generating/absorbing from his environment.
Just because a mage is radiating energy doesn't mean that the amount of energy lost is significant in comparison to his total.
Just like the fact that actual dogs can pick up our scents because we're constantly losing molecules... but that doesn't mean that the molecules we're losing are enough to significantly affect us, to deplete our stores of molecules. It just means that the dogs are REALLY sensitive in their detecting ability.

So perhaps its as simple as mages emitting 1/1,000,000,000,000th of 1 PPE per second, per PPE point that the mage has, and the Dog Boys are sensitive enough to detect even that low level.

Regardless, I believe that the analogy you made was perfectly apt for the conversation at hand.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Republic of Japan has a scope sensor system that shows up any being with 80 or more PPE, explictly bypassing invisibility. So there's another precident for the "80 PPE lights you up like a bulb" analogy.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dragonfett
Knight

I like to think of PPE along the lines electromagnetic fields with the more PPE stored the stronger the field.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I think it all depends on just how "secure" this CS "city" is. If it's just a random inbound checkpoint, do they even have Dog boys or psi stalkers or is this "city" more like a burb of one of the fortress cities?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Can't mages cast a feign death/death trance like spell where they can be "dead?" I would think (even if it doesn't explicitly say so) that would shut down their PPE, as if they still had tons of PPE, they would obviously not be dead.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

become an AntiMonster.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The Beast wrote:
Gryphon wrote:Wait?! Dogboys can just smell a mage now? Even if he isn't casting or sustaining a spell effect? That sort of sucks really, since a mage that actually gets in a city is already in trouble if he casts a spell, since they can all find him from that point anyhow, even of he moves on.

They've always been able to do that.

Yup they sniff out high amounts of PPE which typically will indicate a spell caster of some sort although not always but if not a spell caster possibly a sneaky Dbee.

About casting something like that armor spell on some unsuspecting guy. The last thing you want to do is initiate a really blatant magic display in a CS town. They will lock that area down hard and bring out the dog packs until they are sure they got any/all mages in the area. Best way in is probably blow all your magic before you go in and then avoid meditation until you get past the front doors. Once past the initial major checks you likely are fine as long as you are aware of and avoid close contacts with dog boys/psi stalkers and are not actively casting anything. Getting out best bet is find a window and teleport as far as you can and do that two or three times and then lay low. They may come looking but if you are porting away in semi random directions locating you would be difficult.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I still think they should play dead. The Dog Boys will grudgingly laugh if they ever learn about it.

Return to “Rifts®”