World Book recommendations

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

World Book recommendations

Unread post by flatline »

I've recently realized that I only have 4 world books: Atlantis, England, Psyscape, and Federation of Magic.

I've started making a list of books that look interesting in an attempt to round out the collection. Here's what I'm thinking of getting so far:
South America 1
South America 2
Underseas
Japan
New West
Warlords of Russia
Triax

I'm also considering Mercenaries and Coalition War Campaign simply because they have material that people talk about so often here on the forums.

Any others that I should consider?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Re: World Book recommendations

Unread post by tundro »

I would recommend Arzno and Lone Star to round out your New West. Also the Dino Swamp books are pretty cool, IMO.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Of those my favorites are warlords of russia/new west and triax.

Mercs is an overall very useful book it is primarily full of stuff that your players can reasonably acquire if they have the resources. The combo of mercs/merc town and merc ops is an pretty amazing combo if you want to run a merc group type campaign or even for a normal adventuring group.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

tundro wrote:I would recommend Arzno and Lone Star to round out your New West. Also the Dino Swamp books are pretty cool, IMO.

Arzno/new west/lone star and maybe the vampire kingdoms and brand new vampire source book makes for a really well fleshed out campaign area. Maybe throw in spirit west if you want to add some native american goodness to the bunch.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

D-Bees of North America is mandatory.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

If you are looking at Triax, then Triax 2 would be a logical next step and happens to be a good book.

Mercenaries, MercOps, and MercTown are good for a standard adventuring party.

CWC sees a lot of use in my games because I use the Coalition as bad guys.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Triax 1 and 2 is a good start to a european campaign and easy to add mindworks/NGR or england depending where players try to wander.
flatline
Knight

kaid wrote:Triax 1 and 2 is a good start to a european campaign and easy to add mindworks/NGR or england depending where players try to wander.

Does Triax 2 provide more setting information or is it just a gear update and a time line advancement?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

flatline wrote:
kaid wrote:Triax 1 and 2 is a good start to a european campaign and easy to add mindworks/NGR or england depending where players try to wander.

Does Triax 2 provide more setting information or is it just a gear update and a time line advancement?

--flatline

it adds a bunch of new info on the NGR's society and setting, not just new toys and the timeline progression.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:I've recently realized that I only have 4 world books: Atlantis, England, Psyscape, and Federation of Magic.

I've started making a list of books that look interesting in an attempt to round out the collection. Here's what I'm thinking of getting so far:
South America 1
South America 2
Underseas
Japan
New West
Warlords of Russia
Triax

I'm also considering Mercenaries and Coalition War Campaign simply because they have material that people talk about so often here on the forums.

Any others that I should consider?

--flatline

Ultimately, all of them.

For right now... what kind of stuff specifically are you looking for?

Edit: No Vampire Kingdoms?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Giant2005 wrote:D-Bees of North America is mandatory.

I agree with this statement.
flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:For right now... what kind of stuff specifically are you looking for?

I'm most interested in new settings rather than books that simply expand on setting that already have some definition. My secondary interest in character classes (that's why SA2 is there...reputedly has lots of interesting character classes in it).

The world books I currently own were totally determined by the information I wanted to have in order to make my characters (England for temporal magic, FoM for new invocations, psyscape for new psionics, and Atlantis for tattoo magic? I don't remember buying Atlantis, maybe it was given to me).

I remember reading the original Vampire Kingdoms almost 20 years ago and don't remember seeing anything that I liked. As I recall, the only thing I found remotely interesting was the new TW devices since the only other examples I had at the time were from RMB.

Is there good stuff in VK that I'm not recalling?

--flatline

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

flatline wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:For right now... what kind of stuff specifically are you looking for?

I'm most interested in new settings rather than books that simply expand on setting that already have some definition. My secondary interest in character classes (that's why SA2 is there...reputedly has lots of interesting character classes in it).

The world books I currently own were totally determined by the information I wanted to have in order to make my characters (England for temporal magic, FoM for new invocations, psyscape for new psionics, and Atlantis for tattoo magic? I don't remember buying Atlantis, maybe it was given to me).

You'll probably want WB 21: Splynn Dimensional Market, since you mentioned Atlantis.

For settings... I kind of like Arzno. Madhaven seems intriguing, although I have not yet read that one.

I remember reading the original Vampire Kingdoms almost 20 years ago and don't remember seeing anything that I liked. As I recall, the only thing I found remotely interesting was the new TW devices since the only other examples I had at the time were from RMB.

--flatline

Well, that's the thing... I think that it's probably THE best World Book to date, but that's because it has what I'm looking for in a World Book.
Ciudad Juarez has some pretty decent maps, and a LONG list of the different kinds of shops and other businesses in the city, along with profiles for the various gangs that live there, and descriptions of their turf. Also, it has the best description of an actual magic guild, the Guild For The Gifted.
Also, there were the Side Show generation rules... which I found to be kind of inexplicable and useless at the time, but revisited after watching Carnivale.
There were also a few neat races, like the Pogtal (which I believe are again covered in D-Bees of North America), and were-jaguars and such.
And I like the Rifts take on vampires.
If you don't like the Rifts Vampires, then you still might enjoy the city information, if that sounds like the kind of setting info you're interested in.
You can probably pick up a used copy of the original VK on Amazon for cheap, if you're not willing to wager a lot on it.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:

You'll probably want WB 21: Splynn Dimensional Market, since you mentioned Atlantis.

For settings... I kind of like Arzno. Madhaven seems intriguing, although I have not yet read that one.

--flatline

Well, that's the thing... I think that it's probably THE best World Book to date, but that's because it has what I'm looking for in a World Book.
Ciudad Juarez has some pretty decent maps, and a LONG list of the different kinds of shops and other businesses in the city, along with profiles for the various gangs that live there, and descriptions of their turf. Also, it has the best description of an actual magic guild, the Guild For The Gifted.
Also, there were the Side Show generation rules... which I found to be kind of inexplicable and useless at the time, but revisited after watching Carnivale.
There were also a few neat races, like the Pogtal (which I believe are again covered in D-Bees of North America), and were-jaguars and such.
And I like the Rifts take on vampires.
If you don't like the Rifts Vampires, then you still might enjoy the city information, if that sounds like the kind of setting info you're interested in.
You can probably pick up a used copy of the original VK on Amazon for cheap, if you're not willing to wager a lot on it.[/quote]

Perhaps I'll take a look at it. Most of the world books on my list so far can be had used on Amazon for about $7 (including s&h). I'm trying to see what all I can get if I set my budget at $100 or so.

--flatline

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

It all depends on what your regional interest is. If you want to go North America, there is a LOT of material; most of the world books are centered there. Europe only has 4-6 books (depending on if you count the Russia books), so it's a bit cheaper to cover all the published material. Then there are the isolated settings of China, Japan, and Australia. They're easy to cover, but you'll have to come up with a lot of your own material to fill in the gaps. If the ocean interests you, you can cover the high seas of Rifts with 4-5 books pretty well.

I rather enjoy Europe's setting, myself. North America is getting a bit crowded.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Arzno. One could run a whole campaign with that book.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Mack wrote:Arzno. One could run a whole campaign with that book.

Arzno is one of my favorites as well. The descriptions of the city and the AMC are terrific, the info about Fort Tombestone and Bisbee is good, and the Lyn-Srial (sp?) are a really cool race of DBees. The techno-wizard gear is also top notch.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Japan
Mercenaries
Triax
Underseas
South America 1
New West
Warlords of Russia

These are the one I would recomend in order of the recomending.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

Canada's nice, to round out North America.
flatline
Knight

What all is in Canada?

--flatline

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

VKL Revised and now with Vampires out....I have no doubt it will be avast improvement over the original VK.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Just get them all. You won't be disappointed.
flatline
Knight

Balabanto wrote:Just get them all. You won't be disappointed.

If only I had the shelf space required to own all the books I'd like to get...

...I'm already pushing the limits with the wife as it is.

--flatline

Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:What all is in Canada?

--flatline

MDC Eskimos and MDC Mounties.

Edit:
Oh, and MDC Bears, IIRC.
Not magical bears, mind you... nor mutant bears, nor bear-like creatures... just normal Earth bears that happen to be MDC creatures.

Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

flatline wrote:
Balabanto wrote:Just get them all. You won't be disappointed.

If only I had the shelf space required to own all the books I'd like to get...

...I'm already pushing the limits with the wife as it is.

--flatline

Really? Mine keeps telling me to buy more roleplaying books, as long as we have the money to spare.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Trapper-Woodsman OCC (basically a Wilderness Scout that sounds specialized, but really isn’t.

YEah... that's the one that's supposed to be an everyday, "commoner" OCC, but that's just as geared-up, bonused, and skilled as most standard OCCs.

(Oh, and the Tundra Rangers ARE Mounties; they're specified to be descended from the original Mounties.)

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Trapper-Woodsman OCC (basically a Wilderness Scout that sounds specialized, but really isn’t.

YEah... that's the one that's supposed to be an everyday, "commoner" OCC, but that's just as geared-up, bonused, and skilled as most standard OCCs.

(Oh, and the Tundra Rangers ARE Mounties; they're specified to be descended from the original Mounties.)

AND they have a smaller lone-star like complex as their base of operations not to mention they were apparently fast forwarded thru time a bit too.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
flatline
Knight

Just to be clear, whether or not a particular world book can be useful to a NA-centric campaign is of no consequence to me. I'm primarily looking for interesting settings. I don't care if they're reachable from other settings.

--flatline

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

flatline wrote:Just to be clear, whether or not a particular world book can be useful to a NA-centric campaign is of no consequence to me. I'm primarily looking for interesting settings. I don't care if they're reachable from other settings.

--flatline

Australia is a good book. Then again, I'm Australian so maybe I just "got it" better than some of the Americans on the board because I get the culture.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
flatline
Knight

Akashic Soldier wrote:
flatline wrote:Just to be clear, whether or not a particular world book can be useful to a NA-centric campaign is of no consequence to me. I'm primarily looking for interesting settings. I don't care if they're reachable from other settings.

--flatline

Australia is a good book. Then again, I'm Australian so maybe I just "got it" better than some of the Americans on the board because I get the culture.

I'll add Australia to the list. One of the projects I have in mind is rebooting Wormwood and ideas for the outback might translate nicely.

--flatline

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

flatline wrote:I'll add Australia to the list. One of the projects I have in mind is rebooting Wormwood and ideas for the outback might translate nicely.

--flatline

People tend not to like the fact the mega-cities are super high-tech but everywhere else is really low-tech and deadly. However, I think the forget the incredible distances between locations and the fact that other than the NGR, the mega-cities of Australia are some of the few places that made it through relatively unharmed so are pretty advanced. Its not supposed to be like in North America where you live in a city and go out and adventure. In Australia you live in one of the mega-cities, or in the outback, and rarely switch between the two. City Slickers are as good as dead out in the bush, and most true blue Aussies wouldn't be caught dead in a city because of how restrictive and backwards they are.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I really liked VK.
Also you might want to look at DriveThroughRPG has a few books and many rifter mags, AND takes up no shelf space!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
flatline wrote:I'll add Australia to the list. One of the projects I have in mind is rebooting Wormwood and ideas for the outback might translate nicely.

--flatline

People tend not to like the fact the mega-cities are super high-tech but everywhere else is really low-tech and deadly. However, I think the forget the incredible distances between locations and the fact that other than the NGR, the mega-cities of Australia are some of the few places that made it through relatively unharmed so are pretty advanced. Its not supposed to be like in North America where you live in a city and go out and adventure. In Australia you live in one of the mega-cities, or in the outback, and rarely switch between the two. City Slickers are as good as dead out in the bush, and most true blue Aussies wouldn't be caught dead in a city because of how restrictive and backwards they are.

How big can it be there are only like 5 cities, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin, Canberra........ I mean really!

P.S. Hope you take this in the spirit it is in, I love the area, and agree it is HUGE.
Almost 3 billion sq miles!
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

jaymz wrote:VKL Revised and now with Vampires out....I have no doubt it will be avast improvement over the original VK.

I have no doubt it will be the other way around, funny that.

I would go with Vampire Kingdoms to have Vampires, one of the key setting elements in N.A. as well as the travelling carnival rules, which were great and highly usefull, as well as the aforementioned guild, city layouts, ect.

Atlantis is a great book, giving a lot of options beyond the standard Slaver to encounter around the world, and Splynn is a great addition to that.

Underseas is great for the same reason, expands the new of Splugorth encounters and influence around the world, and gives a lot of detail and options to cover a huge area (the oceans of the world), as well as info about the various powers and creatures that could interact with seaside communities.

England is a great look at how other communities around the world and in Europe survived the Rifts, and a non-tech oriented one at that, which is fairly rare.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Eashamahel wrote:
jaymz wrote:VKL Revised and now with Vampires out....I have no doubt it will be avast improvement over the original VK.

I have no doubt it will be the other way around, funny that.

I would go with Vampire Kingdoms to have Vampires, one of the key setting elements in N.A. as well as the travelling carnival rules, which were great and highly usefull, as well as the aforementioned guild, city layouts, ect.

Atlantis is a great book, giving a lot of options beyond the standard Slaver to encounter around the world, and Splynn is a great addition to that.

Underseas is great for the same reason, expands the new of Splugorth encounters and influence around the world, and gives a lot of detail and options to cover a huge area (the oceans of the world), as well as info about the various powers and creatures that could interact with seaside communities.

England is a great look at how other communities around the world and in Europe survived the Rifts, and a non-tech oriented one at that, which is fairly rare.

Like Atlantis, but would make it a world book. The pure sillyness of the number of troops there makes the world look pointless.
Eashamahel
Hero

boxee wrote: Like Atlantis, but would make it a world book. The pure sillyness of the number of troops there makes the world look pointless.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean? Atlantis is a world book, it was World Book 2.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

flatline wrote:What all is in Canada?

--flatline

Canada for me is the ultimate 'plop your players down and have them walk in a random direction' setting.

It's a place of vast, open expanses, interspersed with strange locales, towns that appear and then fade away, strange, warped creatures, and etcetera.

It's perhaps my favorite wilderness, and is an amazing starting point for Rifts games in general IMHO.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Eashamahel wrote:
boxee wrote: Like Atlantis, but would make it a world book. The pure sillyness of the number of troops there makes the world look pointless.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean? Atlantis is a world book, it was World Book 2.

As in another world with only a foothold on rifts earth like everyone else. If the cities there were in competition at war then it would work, but it all under one force is too much.
Eashamahel
Hero

Ah, I get you now, boxee. At first I was going to disagree, but then I remembered telling people who were wondering that I would never put the Metzlans into any game we ran in Atlantis/Splynn (played several games there), because it was all just TOO much for the Splugorth to have the Kydian army, the slavers, the Tatooed men, the Sunaj, the Gargoyles, AND these godly powerful psychic Xiticix monsters and be opposed in any real way.

I actually have a question for anyone in this thread. I was recently thinking about replacing (for the badly damaged ones and the ones I have lost) some of my old Rifts titles, England, Atlantis, Japan, Triax, Underseas, ect, very early on ones. Now, a little while ago I replaced my old Juicer Uprising, but was very dissaponted to see it had been 'Ultimate Editioned' with bonuses for Perception rolls and what not (I was more dissapointed when I tried to replace my first sourcebook with the revised one, but that's another story), so I was wondering, if I buy these from the Palladium Website, will they have the same halfway updating that Juicer Uprising had, or will they be original?
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Eashamahel wrote:Ah, I get you now, boxee. At first I was going to disagree, but then I remembered telling people who were wondering that I would never put the Metzlans into any game we ran in Atlantis/Splynn (played several games there), because it was all just TOO much for the Splugorth to have the Kydian army, the slavers, the Tatooed men, the Sunaj, the Gargoyles, AND these godly powerful psychic Xiticix monsters and be opposed in any real way.

I actually have a question for anyone in this thread. I was recently thinking about replacing (for the badly damaged ones and the ones I have lost) some of my old Rifts titles, England, Atlantis, Japan, Triax, Underseas, ect, very early on ones. Now, a little while ago I replaced my old Juicer Uprising, but was very dissaponted to see it had been 'Ultimate Editioned' with bonuses for Perception rolls and what not (I was more dissapointed when I tried to replace my first sourcebook with the revised one, but that's another story), so I was wondering, if I buy these from the Palladium Website, will they have the same halfway updating that Juicer Uprising had, or will they be original?

Not sure.
Eashamahel
Hero

Yeah, not really sure where to ask either. Thanks though.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Eashamahel wrote:Yeah, not really sure where to ask either. Thanks though.

I do know that the rifts main rulebook is on drivethroughrpg, not sure if any of the other books there are updated. I Got SOT there and a few rifters as well. You could try to email one of the sysops.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Awwwwww... 8)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Zombie!
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Jason Richards wrote:

Awwwwww... 8)

You wrote a good book. :)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Rifts®”