What Is Your Favorite Weapon In The Palladium Megaverse?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

boxee
Hero

Re: What Is Your Favorite Weapon In The Palladium Megaverse?

Unread post by boxee »

flatline wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:That's curious. Why?

Because in my game they require more power than you can get from an e-clip and it doesn't make sense to carry a nuclear power source to power a pistol when you can do more damage and have better range with a larger weapon.

--flatline

How very very sad for you.
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Unread post by SailorCallie »

taalismn wrote:Neutron S Missiles---Because people will #### themselves scrambling to get out of any solar system you have them parked in. :twisted:

Isn't that the truth? :lol:
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

If we're talking about standard, in-production weapons that a player could conceivably purchase on the open market, I'll break it down by category:

Dismounted:

Pistol: Tx-6 pump pistol revolver. Honestly, it's the coolest-looking pistol I've seen in the game. Big, beefy, but not Naruni-absurd in size, it also sports the flexibility inherent to being a projectile weapon. (I house-rule interchangeable ammunition for it, a la the original "XXX" movie revolver)

Rifle: The original JA-11. It needs a little house ruling (allowing bursts in ion blaster mode, since it was made back when there was a standard rate of fire), but it's a great and flexible weapon.

Heavy Weapon: The Wellington grenade machine gun.

Close quarters: The neural mace. You can back it up with just about any other kind of melee weapon that does MDC.

Power Armor: The Glitter Boy (original)

Robot: The Triax Jaeger.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Mack wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:5d6+6 per shot on a pistol is pretty good. Not better max, but slightly better average damage than the NE-4.

The NE-4 hits for 1D4x10, which averages to 25.
5D6+6 averages to only 23.5.

Except the NE-4 can't actually do 25 damage. It's either 20 or 30 in it's middle range of damage and there is nowhere in between. If you get the lower 50%, it's below the AT-130, if you get the higher 50%, it's better. Averages and statistics don't matter when you're dealing with "did you do enough or did you not do enough." Talking hypothetically about a number you can never have doesn't really show you the difference.

Though i understand what you are trying to say.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

flatline wrote:

Because in my game they require more power than you can get from an e-clip and it doesn't make sense to carry a nuclear power source to power a pistol when you can do more damage and have better range with a larger weapon.

--flatline

A lot of things don't make sense in Rifts. While that's not a proper argument to allow or disallow certain things, I do think it's worthwhile to point out that in the wacky techno-nonsense of Rifts, a particle beam pistol doesn't have much arguing against it aside your preference.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Alrik Vas wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

A lot of things don't make sense in Rifts. While that's not a proper argument to allow or disallow certain things, I do think it's worthwhile to point out that in the wacky techno-nonsense of Rifts, a particle beam pistol doesn't have much arguing against it aside your preference.

Better question is why not just say it uses a standaed e-clip. I seem to remember somewhere that e-clips are nuclear anyway?
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

boxee wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

No they are non nuclear for sure.
They are golden age tech .....they are just batteries.
Better question is why not just say it uses a standaed e-clip. I seem to remember somewhere that e-clips are nuclear anyway?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Alrik Vas wrote:
Mack wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:5d6+6 per shot on a pistol is pretty good. Not better max, but slightly better average damage than the NE-4.

The NE-4 hits for 1D4x10, which averages to 25.
5D6+6 averages to only 23.5.

Except the NE-4 can't actually do 25 damage. It's either 20 or 30 in it's middle range of damage and there is nowhere in between. If you get the lower 50%, it's below the AT-130, if you get the higher 50%, it's better. Averages and statistics don't matter when you're dealing with "did you do enough or did you not do enough." Talking hypothetically about a number you can never have doesn't really show you the difference.

Then perhaps you should not have used the word "average" in your post.

Regardless, the NE-4 will consistently out damage the AT-130.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Favorite that wouldn't ever get to use is those from the aliens in Juicer Uprising, they damage EVERYTHING, no matter what protections it has. Doesn't matter if it's a vampire, someone protected by Impervious to Energy, or otherwise immune to harm. Can't beat that, even if the weapon damage isn't particularly superior to what you can get from other weapons having one that works in all situations is a preferable option.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

My friend's suspiciously-worn, high-rolling d20. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Qev wrote:My friend's suspiciously-worn, high-rolling d20. :lol:

My friend has a green d20 we call the Dice of Doom. It only rolls high when he's GM'ing and has been the accidental death of more than a few characters.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Galroth wrote:
Qev wrote:My friend's suspiciously-worn, high-rolling d20. :lol:

My friend has a green d20 we call the Dice of Doom. It only rolls high when he's GM'ing and has been the accidental death of more than a few characters.

Interesting; my friend's notorious d20 was also green. Coincidence?? :shock:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Other than rigged dice, I always seem to fall back on my trusty NG-57, so I guess that's my actual answer. :)

J_Danger
D-Bee

Unread post by J_Danger »

My Juicer always wanted a FIWS, he recovered a flattened one from a Coalition Juicer the team killed in Tolkeen, but was never able to convince his Naruni Rep "friend" to acquire one for him. (My Juicer had a 7 IQ and I played him as such, the Naruni Rep was also on the town council and did everything legal (and not) in his power to stop any other weapon sales in town)
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The C-12 is a curiosity.

RMB says it can fire a 5-round burst. RUE says a 3-round burst. Neither explain what the damage multiplier is for a burst (we assumed it was x2 when we played).

It's probably the best all around weapon in RMB even ignoring bursts. We just never used it because it was a CS weapon.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:The C-12 is a curiosity.

RMB says it can fire a 5-round burst. RUE says a 3-round burst. Neither explain what the damage multiplier is for a burst (we assumed it was x2 when we played).

It's probably the best all around weapon in RMB even ignoring bursts. We just never used it because it was a CS weapon.

--flatline

It's x2; the 4d6 setting IS the burst setting.
Which was something of a disappointment when I found out; I had been letting it burst/spray with 4d6 MD as its single shot damage.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:The C-12 is a curiosity.

--flatline

It's x2; the 4d6 setting IS the burst setting.
Which was something of a disappointment when I found out; I had been letting it burst/spray with 4d6 MD as its single shot damage.

I take back my comment about it probably being the best all around weapon in RMB. This clarification makes it squarely mediocre.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I prefer using snowballs it seems to upset people no matter what the setting is.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i am STILL going with super powers being the best weapon in the palladium megaverse. i mean those rifts guys are so afraid of them they banned them. LMAO!!!!!!!!!
Zamion138
Hero

say652 wrote:i am STILL going with super powers being the best weapon in the palladium megaverse. i mean those rifts guys are so afraid of them they banned them. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

You freely admit they are the most powerfull thing in the megaverse.....wonder why they are banned
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

SailorCallie wrote:
taalismn wrote:Neutron S Missiles---Because people will #### themselves scrambling to get out of any solar system you have them parked in. :twisted:

Isn't that the truth? :lol:

The "No Crossover" agreement means they are not in the Megaverse.
-----------------------
The TW disrupter pistol from FoM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Zamion138 wrote:
say652 wrote:i am STILL going with super powers being the best weapon in the palladium megaverse. i mean those rifts guys are so afraid of them they banned them. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

You freely admit they are the most powerfull thing in the megaverse.....wonder why they are banned

Not even close: gods, alien intelligences, The Old Ones, all way more super-powerful.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I gues it depends on what I'm playing.
For the Gunslinger, the Triax Particle Beam Pistols are pretty much standard for me. Fair availability, use regular e-clips, and I don't have to negotiate with the GM very hard about getting them. Depending on the GM, the firing rate of 'Standard' could mean single fire (p-beams are seen as heavy weapons no matter what, apparently) or burst fire (we allow short bursts for energy pistols based on cooling constraints).

For the Dragon Blood Juicer, all solids, all day long. Too many adult dragons running around with Invulnerability and Impervious to Energy. This guy was originally why I designed the 12 Gauge Rotary Shotgun loaded with APRJ rounds.

For my current Techno-Wizard, I am all about the Zapper Gun from Juicer Uprising. It really is a sweet weapon, and if TW converted it becomes even better.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

energy expulsion electricity at level 9. 10d6 md range 600' and unlimited ammo
Nightmask
Palladin

say652 wrote:energy expulsion electricity at level 9. 10d6 md range 600' and unlimited ammo

There are comparable weapons available in Rifts with much better range, jsyk.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i know i just like the idea of a costumed hero vs all the nastiness of rifts.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Sperm whale with APS: Metal and Super Sonic Flight and a death wish.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee
Comment: A wise man once said that is true happiness.

Unread post by warrenthewanderer »

My handy-dandy sword
the mortalcoil: a battle fury blade (6D6 /2D4X10) built with a devil's tear rigged to double the number of strikes it can unleash (from 2 to 4) and with uranium inlayed into the blade (+25% damage to supernatural beings and creatures of magic and they can't regenerate as quickly).
KEEP CALM AND CAST SPELLS

The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian (a Visigoth? Or just an a--hole?)

O boards, you have held up so much tedious posts that I am amazed you have not already 404'd in ruin
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

I wonder if anyone has ever made a rune-spoon. There's nothing uglier than a spoon wound.

Zamion138
Hero

Qev wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever made a rune-spoon. There's nothing uglier than a spoon wound.

Yeah but if your drunk and bite down on your spoon it does 4d6 to you so you know that kinda sucks
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

The good olde fashioned Vibro-sabre; good in a bar fight OR owl-bear huntin' ;)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Depends on the character.

Artemis (Archmage and longest running character) is nothing without his magic staff (literally it's called 'magic staff' because it's a staff that lets him do magic easier).
Max, my first character needed either his field killer (a sub machine gun that was enchanted with dispel magic aura and teleport lesser so it would go through magic fields and could go 'through' the first thing it hit if activated) or his scatter shot (a shoulder mounted cannon, again, TW, that fired a high velocity orb of cold that could explode into ice shrapnel with the push of a button)
Seth, my city rat, needed his wilks hero pistols and his palm injector
Damien, my slayer needed his shotguns (he preferred the ones from japan or the sawed off from juicer uprising).
Luke (second tw) needed his GW tank...he was really useless without it honestly
Touvin (shifter) needed his tw blade staff
and finally, Scott, my cs scout would probably be chunky goop right now if not for his trustiest and deadliest weapon...

wait for it....

Duct tape. Everything else was just another way he could make duct tape deadlier.

Return to “Rifts®”