Starship designs...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Starship designs...

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Thank you for the greeting. I read your new ships. Those are just incredible. I hope you keep producing more of them. I hope you don't mind if I use them in my games.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Aramanthus:
Feel free to use them if you like. I am looking forward for your ships.

The new ships I mentioned in my previous post are not yet finished and you cannot find them in this place. It was just a little bit of advertising (with deckplans). ;)
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

sagajr wrote:Aramanthus:
Feel free to use them if you like. I am looking forward for your ships.

The new ships I mentioned in my previous post are not yet finished and you cannot find them in this place. It was just a little bit of advertising (with deckplans). ;)

Open usage, that's what forums like this are for. :wink:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I know. But I have been away for awhile. I am glad to be back.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Only thumbnail styled write up, but hey, it's an antagonist NPC vessel; not as if it needs a mega-detailed writeup. :demon:

Hyams ‘Skywing’ Destroyer

Wingspan / Beam: 228.38m / 750ft.
Mass: 75,000 tonnes.
Crew: 75 (25 bridge), 50 marines (20 power-suited), 54 vehicle pilots.
Mecha & Vehicles:
25 Space-Jager Power Armour
20 Aerospace Fighters
5 Gorgon Mecha
2 Assault shuttles / Drop-ships
Drive Type: Particle Impulse
F.T.L.: 5 LY/hr.
Sublight: 0.5c linear travel & combat speed of Mach 15

MDC by location
Main Body: 12,000
Engines (2): 5,600 each
Laser Cannons (12): 1,000 each
Laser Batteries (10): 800 each
LRM Launchers (4): 2,000 each
Point Defense Lasers (16): 200 each
Variable Force Field (6 facings): 5,000 per facing / 30,000 total
Pin-Point Barries (10): 400 each, regenerates 100 MDC per 15 seconds.

Weapons
Capitol Particle Lances (2; bow): 500 miles [tactical] range, 1 shot per 30 seconds, 1D4X1000 per shot.
Battleship scale = -14 v/small
Anti-Ship Laser Cannons (12; 3 per side dorsal & ventral): 55 miles [tactical] range, 1 shot per action, 2D4X100 per shot.
Anti-Ship scale = -10 v/small
Anti-Ship Laser Batteries (10; 5 per side ventral): 55 miles [tactical] range, 2 shots per 15 seconds, 3D6X100 per shot.
Long Range Missile Tubes (4): 1000 miles [tactical] range, 1-4 missiles per action, damage as per LRM warhead.
40 missiles each (160 total)
Point Defense Lasers (16): 6 miles [tactical] range, 3 bursts per 15 seconds, 1D6X10+10 per burst.

Systems
*All sensors & systems as given in Fleets of the 3-Galaxies (Pg. 25).
*Targeting systems give +5 to strike after successful weapon-systems lock-on, +3 to strike otherwise (this does not include individual crew WP skills).
*Pin-Point barriers (if on automatic) are +3 to parry & +5 if a successful ECM or Weapon-Systems skill check is completed.; otherwise +2 is added to the operators PP bonus to parry (if any) on manual.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

DhAkael wrote:Only thumbnail styled write up, but hey, it's an antagonist NPC vessel; not as if it needs a mega-detailed writeup. :demon:

Hyams ‘Skywing’ Destroyer

Wingspan / Beam: 228.38m / 750ft.
Mass: 75,000 tonnes.
Crew: 75 (25 bridge), 50 marines (20 power-suited), 54 vehicle pilots.
Mecha & Vehicles:
25 Space-Jager Power Armour
20 Aerospace Fighters
5 Gorgon Mecha
2 Assault shuttles / Drop-ships
Drive Type: Particle Impulse
F.T.L.: 5 LY/hr.
Sublight: 0.5c linear travel & combat speed of Mach 15

MDC by location
Main Body: 12,000
Engines (2): 5,600 each
Laser Cannons (12): 1,000 each
Laser Batteries (10): 800 each
LRM Launchers (4): 2,000 each
Point Defense Lasers (16): 200 each
Variable Force Field (6 facings): 5,000 per facing / 30,000 total
Pin-Point Barries (10): 400 each, regenerates 100 MDC per 15 seconds.

Weapons
Capitol Particle Lances (2; bow): 500 miles [tactical] range, 1 shot per 30 seconds, 1D4X1000 per shot.
Battleship scale = -14 v/small
Anti-Ship Laser Cannons (12; 3 per side dorsal & ventral): 55 miles [tactical] range, 1 shot per action, 2D4X100 per shot.
Anti-Ship Laser Batteries (10; 5 per side ventral): 55 miles [tactical] range, 2 shots per 15 seconds, 3D6X100 per shot.
Long Range Missile Tubes (4): 1000 miles [tactical] range, 1-4 missiles per action, damage as per LRM warhead.
40 missiles each (160 total)
Point Defense Lasers (16): 6 miles [tactical] range, 3 bursts per 15 seconds, 1D6X10+10 per burst.

Systems
*All sensors & systems as given in Fleets of the 3-Galaxies (Pg. 25).
*Targeting systems give +5 to strike after successful weapon-systems lock-on, +3 to strike otherwise (this does not include individual crew WP skills).
*Pin-Point barriers (if on automatic) are +3 to parry & +5 if a successful ECM or Weapon-Systems skill check is completed.; otherwise +2 is added to the operators PP bonus to parry (if any) on manual.

LOL, dang! Should we be worried?! :eek:
taalismn
Priest

Jay05 wrote:[LOL, dang! Should we be worried?! :eek:

Put it in your warbooks and start running exercises; 'what if we run into one of THESE?'. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice. I like it. I am working on my ships. They are still in the works.

HH....FIE
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Here is a simplified version of the Ship Design Rules for Phase World setting. While it is simplier than the previous variant (no more too complex calculations, fewer tables, the energy consumption is taken out - power systems have their own limits) it is not as simple as the other official rules described in the Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide/Mutants in Orbit or in the Manhunter books (those rules are too simple and the canon ships described in the PW books can not be reproduced with them). One example ship creation is included as before (the Warshield class CAF cruiser). You will need a calculator (or an Excel table) and about 15 to 60 minutes to create a large ship (heavy cruiser or battleship).

http://web.t-online.hu/saga/SDRtech.pdf

Feel free to use it and if you don't understand something feel free to ask.
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool. Thank you for providing this set of rules I know that people can use it around here.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*headdeskheaddeskheaddeskheaddeskheaddeskheaddesk* :frust:
Going over the Kitsune "realistic space weapon ranges" section in his website.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I refuse to re-print / re-write all my stuff. I think I'll stick to my hause-rools and just use the expanded ranges for "strategic combat".

Yeah yeah... that's the ticket. :frazz:

Leaves of the lotus rise

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i dislike the kitsune rules.. you shouldn't need a degree in math to play an RPG, and his stuff requires you to pretty much junk all the existing game stats and write new ones. not worth the effort.

which is why i wrote my own, found on my site (link in sig).

i just added "range brackets" to the existing ranges, with extra penalties for each multiple of the listed ranges. so if you have a 5 mile range, you could shoot from 0-5miles with no penalty, 5-10 miles with a -1 to strike, 10-15 with a -2, etc.. depending on how much your willing to sacrifice in accuracy, you can shoot up to 20+ times the listed ranges.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i dislike the kitsune rules.. you shouldn't need a degree in math to play an RPG, and his stuff requires you to pretty much junk all the existing game stats and write new ones. not worth the effort.

which is why i wrote my own, found on my site (link in sig).

i just added "range brackets" to the existing ranges, with extra penalties for each multiple of the listed ranges. so if you have a 5 mile range, you could shoot from 0-5miles with no penalty, 5-10 miles with a -1 to strike, 10-15 with a -2, etc.. depending on how much your willing to sacrifice in accuracy, you can shoot up to 20+ times the listed ranges.

I can get behind that... :ok:
Funny, that's almost how the 1st edition SW combat worked as well...mind you it was arbitrary range values, but yeah. :mrgreen:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Aramanthus
Monk

Sorry GB. I am going to stick with something I have been using for way too many years. I especially prefer his ranges to PB's messed up ranges.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Note: Repost from a previous thread, but relevant. :D

A century ago, the UWW commisoned the construction of a large battleship class of vessel to counter the growing threat of the Kreeghor empire, the existing Splugorth menace and the possible re-appearence of the 'Demon Star' armada.
The result was the creation of the TW Battleship Æther-Phoenix class. Only 5 have been consturcted (each takes over 30 years to build / grow) and nearly beggered the respective shipyards involved. Yet each one is an elegant and lethal weapon of war.
The Æther-Phoenix resembles a stylzed bird-shaped craft cronstructed of a bluish-white tranclucent crystal, while the interior resmbles nothing less than an elven pallace, with fluted and ribbed halls, glowing crystal lights, and an almost living essence, interspersed with gleaming ultra-tech elements..

Warlock Navy ‘Æther-Phoenix’ Heavy Battleship
Model: AEther-Phoenix
Class: Techno-Wizard Heavy Battleship
Crew: 600 (10 Officers and 560 Enlisted, plus 30 Techno-Smiths)
Troops: Standard; 2000, Maximum; 5,000

Vehicle Compliment:
48: WF F-15 Shadowbolt fighters or WF FB-17 Spectre strike fighters
8: Atmospheric Shuttles (may be replaced on 1 for 1 basis with Starghost phase-tech fighters)

M.D.C. by Location:
Interior Hatches: 70 each (exterior 80 each)
Forward Section (“Head“): 45,000
TW ‘Phoenix Cannon’ (Bow): 1500
Antiship Prism Lasers (11): 1200 each
Battleship Laser Cannons (5): 2500 each
Point Deffense Grav-Railguns (30): 180 each
Long Range Missile Launchers (6; 3 per wing): 1,200 each
Launch Bays (2; underside): 2,000 each
Wings (2) 33,000 each
[1] Emergency Bridge(Located 2 decks under bridge tower, in main body): 45,000
[2] Main Body: 300,000
[3] Engineering Section: 90,000
[4] Outrigger ‘D-Drive’ Pods (2) 20,000 each
[5] Variable Force Field: 12,000 a side (72,000 Total)

Notes:
[SPECIAL] The ships crystallis armor absorbs 50% of all incoming energy, not counting purely kinetic energy weapons. Subtract 50% of all damage done to the ships hit locations by energy weapons. Plus, all damage done by energy based attacks will fully regenerate 1 minute after combat ceases! Kinetic energy weapons and explosions do full damage.
[1] In reality this is how much damage needs to be done for a weapon to hit the bridge through the ships armor. This ship also has an auxiliary bridge. Even if both bridges are destroyed, the ship can still be piloted from engineering but ship is -3 to dodge and all weapon systems will be at local control. Weapon hits near the bridge that do not penetrate the ships integrity can injure crew members on or near the bridge.
[2] Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the vessel out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
[3] Destroying the engineering section means that ship FTL propulsion systems are destroyed and maximum sublight acceleration is reduced to ten percent of normal (using navigational thrusters).
[4] Destroying either pod will disable the ships special Dimensional-Drive system.
[5] Shield positions are variable and can be combined into one shield. The shields regenerate at a rate of 5% (3,600 MDC) per melee round.

Speed
Flying: Mach 15 combat speed. 0.4c sublight speed. Star Ship can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 1 percent of light per melee.
FTL: 5 LY / Hr. using negative matter drive (see later for Dimesion-drive).
Range: 10 years at optimal conditions, using both conventional and magical life support.
Statistical Data
Height: 1,200 feet (360m). Length: 3,936 feet (1,200m). Beam / Spine: 900 feet (274.32m) at widest point.
Wingspan: 3,500 feet (1,066 m). Weight: 58 million tons
Cargo: Cargo holds are scattered about the ship that allows for carrying up to 70,000 tons of Cargo in addition to standard compliment of supplies and ammunition
Drive Type(s): Primary; Twin negative-matter energy wave generators rated for factor 500.
Secondary; Dimension-Drive for point-to-point travel (see later for description).
Power System: matter/anti-matter reactor with 30 years at maximum output. Cosmic ley-line PPE syphons for techno-wizard devices; 1000 PPE/hr. and crystal storage cells with 20,000 PPE capacity.
Market Cost: Unknown. Estimated at 100 billion Tri-galactic credits if ever sold.

Weapon Systems
1) Bow-mounted ‘Pheonix Cannon‘: Located in the front of the Aether-Pheonix is the devastating ‘Phoenix Cannon’. This weapon is similar to the Arcane-X’s Flare cannon, but is much more accurate and potentially more lethal. When activated, a cluster of anti-protons is captured in a magnetic vortex while simultaneously a massive plasma cloud surrounds the magnetic ‘egg’. Upon firing, the entire cluster is propelled towards the target area at nearly 80% the speed of light, where at a pre-set distance the magnetic field collapses. The result is a massive explosion enveloping several thousand cubic feet in raw nuclear fire!
Mega-Damage: 2D4X1000 to a 2000ft. (610m) radius area! Damage is inflicted to all exposed areas, and in the case of capitol ships, the blast will damage at least 3 shield facings (GM‘s call).
R.O.F.: once per minute (requires precise calculations). Range: 100miles (160km). Payload: 1000 PPE per shot.
Capitol Ship scale= -5 to strike small targets (due to large blast radius).
*Spells used in this design: Anti-Matter Blast, Magnetic Vortex, Nova (Rifter #10). Power Bolt, Sub-Particle Acceleration (FoM or R:MG).

2) Concealed Antiship Prism Lasers (11): Located port, starboard & aft (6 dorsal, 4 ventral, 1 aft-dorsal), and covered by folding armour plates are concealed heavy prism lasers. Each prism firing port has a 90º arc of fire. Only called shots may damage the guns, and they are -25% to detect closed. These beams can damage any object or being that is only vulnerable to magical attacks. Finally, range is X2 on cosmic ley-lines or nexus points and damage is X1.5 to X2 depending on line or nexus proximity.
Mega-Damage: 1D8X100 per laser prism shot. R.O.F.: As per gunners actions (typically 4-5).
Range: 55miles (88km) in space. Payload: Effectively unlimited; tied into the vessels mystic generator.
Capitol Ship scale= -10 to strike small targets.

3) Battleship Laser Cannons (5): 5 powerful conventional laser cannons round out the main antiship weapons of the Aether-Phoenix. 2 are located in the ’head’ of the ship above and behind the main-gun, 2 are placed in the main body near the wing-roots, and 1 placed center-aft. Each cannon has 30 arc of fire.
Mega-Damage: 4D6X100 per shot. R.O.F.: As per gunners actions (typically 4-5). Range: 155miles (284km) in space.
Payload: Unlimited. Heavy Ship scale= -14 to strike small targets.

4) GR-100 Grav Autocannon turrets (30): These point defense gravity-guns are spaced evenly across the Aether-Phoenix's hull to protect from enemy fighters and incoming missile strikes. The turrets may be manually operated or set to auto-fire.
Mega-Damage: 1D6X10 per 10 round burst. R.O.F.: 1 bursts per action or 3 attacks automated.
Range: 3miles (4.8km). Payload: 1000 bursts each. Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: The rotating turret gives a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved).

5) Forward LRM / Torpedo Launchers (6): In either wing are 3 single-tube LR missile & torpedo launchers facing forward. Typically these launchers are loaded with plasma or gravitic warheads.
Mega-Damage: As per LRM / Torpedo type.
R.O.F.: Individually or in volleys of two per launcher (total volley of 12 warheads). Each volley counts as 1 gunner action. Once 10 warheads have been launched, it takes 3 actions (1/2 a melee) for the auto-loading system to reload another 10 from the magazine. Range: as per warhead type.
Payload: 10 per launch system plus an additional magazine of 60 per launcher, for a total 420. An extra 360 missiles can be stored in the cargo hold, but require 1D4X10 minutes to transport to the launcher magazines.
*Note: Up to half the missile payload may be replaced with anti-magic, tech-disruption and/or ’breacher’ warheads.
See Carl Gleba’s ‘Rifts: Three Galaxies’ Pg. 130-131 for effects of these TW missiles.

Other Systems
Crystallis armour (½ damage from energy based attacks). ECM generators. Advanced Sensor Package. Geologic Sensors. Targeting and combat computer (+2 to strike, +1 to dodge). Auto-pilot & Supernavigation computer (50% skill). Atmosphere recycling system. 50 staterooms & 550 basic accommodations (troops are housed in barrack style areas). 2 Launch-bays (@200 tonne capacity each). Artificial gravity. 5 Recreation facilities. 300 Stasis pod facilities. Medical Facility (200 patients). 100 FTL life-boats. FCE pod (bridge unit). Auto-Breach sealing. FTL communications system.

Dimension Drive (Special)
This techno-wizard engine creates a stable wormhole that enables the Aether-Phoenix to travel enormous distances in a single jump. This system is a three part device. The first (and most important) component of the D-Drive is the ‘navigational cogitator’. Consisting of a series of massive parallel-processors programmed with navigationl charts, linked to a TW cloud chamber resembling a 30ft. ‘plasma-globe’ made of black crystal located deep in the center of the ship. The second part is the navigators chair, which connects the navigator mage to the sensor systems of the ship via TW neural links (a modified noro psi-helm). Finally, the drive nacelles which create the actual wormhole effect.
When activated, a glowing ring of bluish energy projects from the D-Drive nacelles to encircle the ship. Also, lines of glowing blue vein the surface of the Aether-Phoenix; each line composed of moving msytic sigils and glyphs. 1-6 minutes later, the ring shoots forwards opening the transit wormhole, drawing the ship along behind it.
Though capable of going ten times further than even the most advanced ‘Rift’ drive, and able to create relatively stable wormholes, the D-Drive is still subject to fluctuating travel ranges, and may take up to 6 minutes for the navigator and the ‘NC’ to calculate the safest endpoint for the wormhole. However, the D-Drive is still a marvel of TW spce technology.
Range: 1D6X100 light years. Payload: 1 Jump per 5 hours. PPE: 3000 per jump! Takes 1D6 minutes for the navigator & ‘navigational cogitator’ to calculate the wormhole endpoint (requires skill Navigation: Space/FTL).
*Spells used in this design: Create wormhole, Stabalize Wormhole (Rifter #10). Teleport: Superior (Rifts RPG).

TW Systems
1. Impervious to energy: 20 PPE / 20 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge.
2. Invisibility superior: 20 PPE / 30 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge.
3. Sustain: 12 PPE / 10 days. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge.
4. Spaceflight superior: 38 PPE / 10 hours. Draws directly from the storrage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Used when / if primary power is disrupted to the main engines. Equal to 10th level power.
5. Pin-point deflectors: 20 PPE / 5 minutes per deflector (up to 10). Same effect as Deflect spell, but cover a 10ft. area per barrier. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Must be manually controlled. Equal to 10th level power.
*Spells used in this design: Deflect, Armour of Ithan.
6. Ship to Surface Teleporter (up to 20 crew or 10X10X10ft. Object): 600 PPE per use. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Roughly equal to 10th level power, and uses Teleport Superior table for success rate; typically the ship sensors give a 99% accuracy rate (different weather conditions or anomalous energy fields can effect the accuracy. GM’s call).
7. TW Sensors: Ley-line sensor, Sense Magic, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, See Dimensional Anomaly. Draws directly from the storage batteries. See Carl Gleba’s ‘Rifts: Three Galaxies’ Pg. 108-109 for descriptions, though ranges are based on the ’normal’ sensor suite (tied directly normal sensors).

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Still beautiful. 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

More UWW goodness from the past. :angel:

The AEther-Hawk was reversed enginered from a ship-wreck the UWW discovered while exploring the inner rim of the Anvil Galaxy. The original (Code-named the Elindil or sacred star) was therorized to be almost 100,000 years old and created by a 'lost tribe' of Elven kin. Not 'Normal' elf or Asgardian..something else
The material used for the hull was an organic crystal, which channeld & amplified PPE and seemed highly resistant to energy attacks.

To create the Aether-Hawk, the Star-Elf shipwrights first created a skelletal frame work to support the 'standard' ship system (sensors, life-support, engineering, etc.), then they placed clusters of the raw crystal material onto key points and just flooded the dry-dock with raw PPE. Eventually the crystals grew and flowed around the superstructure, creating the hull and internal structures.
The result, an organic looking starship that looks like it was made from mother-of-pearl or opal (colours vary from ship to ship; slightly violet, pink, blue, etc). Even the Starfire Pulse-cannons & anti-ship laser turrets look like they grew from the hull. Each vessel takes up to a year & a half to grow.

--Think a cross between a Whitestar from B5 and an Eldar cruiser.--

There are rumours of newer models that have artificial minds placed into the computer computer network via magic rituals (variation of Friend in the head from 'Through the glass darkly' except permanent), though this has not been confirmed.

only 30 of these ships have been grown so far, and all are stationed with the Alfheim deffense fleet. Crews are 10% Star-Elf, 30% 'normal' Elf, 40% human, and 20% other (Atlanteans, Dwarf, etc).

AEther-Hawk TW Strike Cruiser
Model Type: AEther-Hawk Cruiser Class: Medium Cruiser
Crew: 18 Bridge crew, 90 ship-hands, 124 Warriors.
Can also accommodate up to 120 extra passengers in emergency.
M.D.C. By Location:
*Bridge - 8,000
Wings / Sails (2) - 8,000 each (Sails are only 2000 each)
Warp-Cannon (Bow) - 1,500
Laser Batteries (2) - 1200 each
Flame Cannons (2) - 1,000 each
**Starfire Pulse-Cannon Turrets (10) - 100 each
Variable Shields - 1000 per facing; 6000 total
Outer Hull 40ft. section - 150
Inner Hull 40ft. section - 100
HMain Centerline Engine / engineering - 10,000
IMain Body - 20,000
Notes: * Destruction of the bridge will reduce sensors and combat bonuses by half.
** These systems are normaly concealed and are - 3 to hit on a called shot, and the outer armour must be destroyed first (150MDC).
H Destruction of the main engine will eliminate FTL capabilities, and force the vessel to rely on solar-sails.
I Destroying the main body will render the vessel a drifting hulk with no life support or power. If the ship is reduced to -20,000 MDC, it explodes doing 3D6X1,000 MD to anything in a 1.6 km radius.
Speed:
Flying: Mach 18 combat speed & 0.9C sublight , 0.6C using solar-sail wings (used for stealth attacks). Can not eneter atmosphere.
FTL: 3 LY/hr. using Contragravity, 0.5LY/hr using sails (must 'port using CG drive first). Also see Dimension Drive.
Range: 35 months with full crew, using reycylers and hydroponics. 35 days on just atmosphereic recyling systems and ships stores.
Statistical Data:
Height: (at highest point): 95 meters / 313.5ft. Length: 200 meters / 660ft. (+20% with wings)
Width: (At widest point): 95 meters / 313.5ft. (+30% with wings)
Weight: 80,000 tonnes with 200 tonnes of shuttle craft.
Cargo: 371 modules of cargo space / modification space. Also 5 external cargo docks.
Drive Type(s): Primary; Contragravity drive rated for 3 LY/ hr.
: Secondary; Microwave solar-sails rated for factor 50 (drops to factor 25 when greater than 5LY out from a star; requires CG to 'port').
: Dimension Drive for long-range travel.
Power System: Fusion powerplant rated for 30 years at maximum output for conventional systems. Cosmic ley-line PPE syphons for techno-wizard devices; 1,000 PPE/hr. and crystal storage cells with 10,000 PPE capacity.
Market Cost: Approximately 700 million UT credits (minus auxiliary vehicles), for a fully operational vessel. None known to be sold.

Weapon Systems
1) Warp Cannon: The AEther-Hawk carries a devestating variation of the Rift Projector Cannon. Instead of firing a random rift, the Warp-Cannon creates a short lived wormhole at the end-point of the discharge. The effects are quite spectacular as parts of the target are scattered across the universe at a quantumm level and the surrounding area is twisted & broken by tidal stresses. This weapon was reverse engineered, based on studies of the original found on the alien relic, the Elindil.
Mega-Damage: 1D4X1000 per shot and completely ignores shields, while the surrounding 20ft. of hull suffer 1/10th damage on impact. R.O.F.: 1 shot per minute. Range: 160km (100 miles) Payload: 1,000 PPE per shot. Battleship Ship scale= -14 to strike small targets. Note: Casuses critical damage results on a modified 20.

2) Antiship Laser Batteries (2): Located on the upper bow of the AEther Hawk are 2 turreted heavy laser batteries (90° field of fire off center).
Mega-Damage: 3D6X100 per laser battery shot, or 6D6X100 for both targeting one ship. R.O.F.: 2 shots per battery / rnd.
Range: 880km (550 miles) in space. Payload: Effectively unlimmited (powered by reactor). Captiol Ship scale= -10 to strike small targets.

3) Flame Cannons (2): To back up the AntiShip Laser Cannons, AEther-Hawk cruisers have been equipped with the same heavy TW flame cannons as the Dwarven Iron-ships, mounted side by side under the prow. The AEther-Hawks’ fire blasts are brilliant blue white in colour and almost seem to self-guide towards their targets. This effectively negates the need for missile launchers. The only drawback is the limmited range.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D with Blast Radius of 300 feet (91.5 m). R.O.F.: 2 shots per cannon per melee (4 total).
Range: 32 km (20 miles) in space. Payload: 1,000 PPE per 24 hours to operate , but may fire indefinately durring that time.
Notes: Automatic to-hit of 18 (target vessel must dodge or parry with shields), and is captiol ship scaled (can NOT target fighters).

4) Starfire Pulse-Cannon Point Defense turrets (10): Based on designs found on the Elindil, these pop-up TW point defense guns are spaced evenly across the AEther-Hawks' hull to protect from enemy fighters and incoming missile strikes. The turrets may be manually operated or set to auto-fire.
Mega-Damage: 2D6X10 per burst. R.O.F.: 1 per gunners action or 3 attacks automated. Range: 1.83 km (6000ft.).
Payload: 100 PPE per gun, per hour (1,000 total). Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: The rotating turret gives a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved). Due to their magical nature, the bursts from these guns will damage objects & creatures normaly immune to energy.

5) Disruption Field: The entire hull of the AEther-Hawk is composed of a magic conductive crystaline substance (cultured from samples off the alien relic Elindil), which enables the PPE batteries to constantly replenish if near cosmic ley-lines. This also allows for a unique deffenive field to be used. A massive lightning-like discharge of mystic energy can be targeted against an enemy vessels’ electronc systems. In effect, a mysticaly powered EMP weapon. There is no one location for this system, as it is in effect the entire hull of the ship. The disadvantages of this ‘weapon’ are the extreme close range aspect, PPE cost, and need to hit the actual hull of the target.
Mega-Damage: 1D6X10 damage per hit, plus disruption effect (see notes). R.O.F.: 2 discharges per melee. Range: 1.6km (1mile).
Payload: 100 PPE per discharge. Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: 360° sphere around the AEther-Hawk. In addition to the phsyical damage, the disruption field has the same effect as the negate mecahnics TW mini-missiles from the 3-Galaxies dimension Book (Pg. 131). Durration is 1D4 melees per hit and can even effect capitol ships.

Defensive Systems
ECM Suite (Anti-EM & Holo-fields); on a successful 'electronic warfare' skill roll, the ship becomes +4 to dodge all incomming attacks, and all homing missles are +6 to dodge. The Ship visibly seems to blur and distort and go transparrent.
Crystallis Armour; The outer hull &/ armour plating is a bio-metalic crystal matrix. First, all energy weapons will do only 50% damage. Secondly; one minute (4 melees), after combat has ended, all damage to the armour will begin to regenerate spontaneously, using the energy diffracted to heal its crystaline latice. This applies to coherent energy weapons only (Lasers, particle beams, etc); kinetic weapons will still do full damage.
Manoeuvre Enhancement Package; See below for bonuses (2 Lvls. above normal). Manoeuvres almost like a shuttle or heavy interceptor. The AEther-Hawk resmbles the bird it’s named after while in motion & combat.
Sensors
Advanced & Military Sensors; Can track and identify up to 500 targets with a 2000 mile range (3200km), and track an additional 25 objects out to 4000 miles (6400km); 1/2 range Inatmo. Objects as small as a golf ball can be seen at a distance of 300 miles Inatmo, or 26,000 miles in space (41,600km). Communications range is 200,000 miles (32,000km) in space. See later for combat bonuses.
Scientific Sensor Array; Full I.R., U.V, and Thermographic optical sensors with a range of 4LY and computer programs to sort and enhance incoming data. Adds +15% to navigation rolls. Can detect objects as small as a battleship from 4LY away, but takes 5D4 minutes to complete the scan.
Super-navigation Computer & Auto-pilot; 50% skill for FTL and Sublight navigation, and 50% Skill for piloting.

Other Systems
Recreation Areas; Mediation garden and lounge.
Artificial Gravity; Provides standard 1g environment within the ship.
Crew Quarters; Each crew member has their own private room with; bed, footlocker, computer unit & Bathroom.
Type 2 Recycling system (Atmosphere & consumables); Can continuously provide recycled, breathable air for 35 days for the crew plus passengers; other consumables can be recycled for up to 350 days.
Hull Breach Auto-Repair; Triple redundancy system, prevents catastrophic loss of atmosphere from hull breaches.
FTL Life-boats (17); See "AU; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 181 for details.
FTL Accelerators; This system allows the ship to go from Speed 0 (relative) to factor 1 in less than 5 seconds, eleiminating the acceleration time needed to "port" into FTL.
TW Systems
TW Sensors: Ley-line sensor, Sense Magic, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, See Dimensional Anomaly. Draws directly from the storage batteries. See Carl Gleba’s ‘Rifts: Three Galaxies’ Pg. 108-109 for descriptions, though ranges are based on the ’normal’ sensor suite (tied directly normal sensors).
Impervious to energy: 20 PPE / 20 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Invisibility superior: 20 PPE / 30 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Sustain: 12 PPE / 8 days. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Spaceflight superior: 38 PPE / 10 hours. Draws directly from the storrage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Used when / if primary power is disrupted to the main engines. Equal to 8th level power = 24,000mph (38,400 km/h)².
Pin-point deflectors: 70 PPE / 2 minutes per deflector (up to 10). Same effect as Targeted-Deflection spell, but cover a 10ft. area per barrier. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Must be manually controlled. Equal to 8th level power.
This techno-wizard engine creates a stable wormhole that enables the Aether-Hawk to travel enormous distances in a single jump. This system is a three part device. The first (and most important) component of the D-Drive is the ‘navigational cogitator’. Consisting of a series of massive parallel-processors programmed with navigationl charts, linked to a TW cloud chamber resembling a 30ft. ‘plasma-globe’ made of black crystal located deep in the center of the ship. The second part is the navigators chair, which connects the navigator mage to the sensor systems of the ship via TW neural links (a modified noro psi-helm). Finally, the drive system (located in the wings) which create the actual wormhole effect.
When activated, a glowing ring of bluish energy projects from the wing tips to encircle the ship. Also, lines of glowing blue vein the surface of the Aether-Hawk; each line composed of moving msytic sigils and glyphs. 1-6 minutes later, the ring shoots forwards opening the transit wormhole, drawing the ship along behind it.
Though capable of going ten times further than even the most advanced ‘Rift’ drive, and able to create relatively stable wormholes, the D-Drive is still subject to fluctuating travel ranges, and may take up to 6 minutes for the navigator and the ‘NC’ to calculate the safest endpoint for the wormhole. However, the D-Drive is still a marvel of TW spce technology.
Range: 1D6X100 light years. Payload: 1 Jump per 5 hours. PPE: 3000 per jump! Takes 1D6 minutes for the navigator & ‘navigational cogitator’ to calculate the wormhole endpoint (requires skill Navigation: Space/FTL).
*Spells used in this design: Create wormhole, Stabalize Wormhole (Rifter #10). Teleport: Superior (Rifts RPG).

Attack Craft
Up to 200 tonnes of vehicles may be carried. Also shuttlecraft and / or sattelites may be carried depending on mission. Furthermore 5 external docking collars can be used to carry additional attack shuttles, Hvy. Fighter-bombers and / or cargo pods. Typically carries 18 Shadowbolt TW Fighters in the vehihicle bays, and 4 MKXV Arcane Assault Shuttles (with full crew) durring combat missions.

Bonuses
+4 Intiative, +5 to dodge (-1 using sails), +1 to strike with all weapons and +35% to combat piloting rolls and +10% to weapon systems lock-ons. When using solar-sails, the vessel is -15% to detect (or +15% to 'prowl') when at extreme hostile sensor range and when rigged for silent running.

Note
Vessels auto-repair / regrow damage done at 10% per location every 24hrs. Completely destroyed systems require time in drydock to replace.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

DhAkael wrote:More UWW goodness from the past. :angel:

The AEther-Hawk was reversed enginered from a ship-wreck the UWW discovered while exploring the inner rim of the Anvil Galaxy. The original (Code-named the Elindil or sacred star) was therorized to be almost 100,000 years old and created by a 'lost tribe' of Elven kin. Not 'Normal' elf or Asgardian..something else
The material used for the hull was an organic crystal, which channeld & amplified PPE and seemed highly resistant to energy attacks.

To create the Aether-Hawk, the Star-Elf shipwrights first created a skelletal frame work to support the 'standard' ship system (sensors, life-support, engineering, etc.), then they placed clusters of the raw crystal material onto key points and just flooded the dry-dock with raw PPE. Eventually the crystals grew and flowed around the superstructure, creating the hull and internal structures.
The result, an organic looking starship that looks like it was made from mother-of-pearl or opal (colours vary from ship to ship; slightly violet, pink, blue, etc). Even the Starfire Pulse-cannons & anti-ship laser turrets look like they grew from the hull. Each vessel takes up to a year & a half to grow.

--Think a cross between a Whitestar from B5 and an Eldar cruiser.--

There are rumours of newer models that have artificial minds placed into the computer computer network via magic rituals (variation of Friend in the head from 'Through the glass darkly' except permanent), though this has not been confirmed.

only 30 of these ships have been grown so far, and all are stationed with the Alfheim deffense fleet. Crews are 10% Star-Elf, 30% 'normal' Elf, 40% human, and 20% other (Atlanteans, Dwarf, etc).

AEther-Hawk TW Strike Cruiser
Model Type: AEther-Hawk Cruiser Class: Medium Cruiser
Crew: 18 Bridge crew, 90 ship-hands, 124 Warriors.
Can also accommodate up to 120 extra passengers in emergency.
M.D.C. By Location:
*Bridge - 8,000
Wings / Sails (2) - 8,000 each (Sails are only 2000 each)
Warp-Cannon (Bow) - 1,500
Laser Batteries (2) - 1200 each
Flame Cannons (2) - 1,000 each
**Starfire Pulse-Cannon Turrets (10) - 100 each
Variable Shields - 1000 per facing; 6000 total
Outer Hull 40ft. section - 150
Inner Hull 40ft. section - 100
HMain Centerline Engine / engineering - 10,000
IMain Body - 20,000
Notes: * Destruction of the bridge will reduce sensors and combat bonuses by half.
** These systems are normaly concealed and are - 3 to hit on a called shot, and the outer armour must be destroyed first (150MDC).
H Destruction of the main engine will eliminate FTL capabilities, and force the vessel to rely on solar-sails.
I Destroying the main body will render the vessel a drifting hulk with no life support or power. If the ship is reduced to -20,000 MDC, it explodes doing 3D6X1,000 MD to anything in a 1.6 km radius.
Speed:
Flying: Mach 18 combat speed & 0.9C sublight , 0.6C using solar-sail wings (used for stealth attacks). Can not eneter atmosphere.
FTL: 3 LY/hr. using Contragravity, 0.5LY/hr using sails (must 'port using CG drive first). Also see Dimension Drive.
Range: 35 months with full crew, using reycylers and hydroponics. 35 days on just atmosphereic recyling systems and ships stores.
Statistical Data:
Height: (at highest point): 95 meters / 313.5ft. Length: 200 meters / 660ft. (+20% with wings)
Width: (At widest point): 95 meters / 313.5ft. (+30% with wings)
Weight: 80,000 tonnes with 200 tonnes of shuttle craft.
Cargo: 371 modules of cargo space / modification space. Also 5 external cargo docks.
Drive Type(s): Primary; Contragravity drive rated for 3 LY/ hr.
: Secondary; Microwave solar-sails rated for factor 50 (drops to factor 25 when greater than 5LY out from a star; requires CG to 'port').
: Dimension Drive for long-range travel.
Power System: Fusion powerplant rated for 30 years at maximum output for conventional systems. Cosmic ley-line PPE syphons for techno-wizard devices; 1,000 PPE/hr. and crystal storage cells with 10,000 PPE capacity.
Market Cost: Approximately 700 million UT credits (minus auxiliary vehicles), for a fully operational vessel. None known to be sold.

Weapon Systems
1) Warp Cannon: The AEther-Hawk carries a devestating variation of the Rift Projector Cannon. Instead of firing a random rift, the Warp-Cannon creates a short lived wormhole at the end-point of the discharge. The effects are quite spectacular as parts of the target are scattered across the universe at a quantumm level and the surrounding area is twisted & broken by tidal stresses. This weapon was reverse engineered, based on studies of the original found on the alien relic, the Elindil.
Mega-Damage: 1D4X1000 per shot and completely ignores shields, while the surrounding 20ft. of hull suffer 1/10th damage on impact. R.O.F.: 1 shot per minute. Range: 160km (100 miles) Payload: 1,000 PPE per shot. Battleship Ship scale= -14 to strike small targets. Note: Casuses critical damage results on a modified 20.

2) Antiship Laser Batteries (2): Located on the upper bow of the AEther Hawk are 2 turreted heavy laser batteries (90° field of fire off center).
Mega-Damage: 3D6X100 per laser battery shot, or 6D6X100 for both targeting one ship. R.O.F.: 2 shots per battery / rnd.
Range: 880km (550 miles) in space. Payload: Effectively unlimmited (powered by reactor). Captiol Ship scale= -10 to strike small targets.

3) Flame Cannons (2): To back up the AntiShip Laser Cannons, AEther-Hawk cruisers have been equipped with the same heavy TW flame cannons as the Dwarven Iron-ships, mounted side by side under the prow. The AEther-Hawks’ fire blasts are brilliant blue white in colour and almost seem to self-guide towards their targets. This effectively negates the need for missile launchers. The only drawback is the limmited range.
Mega-Damage: 1D4x1000 M.D with Blast Radius of 300 feet (91.5 m). R.O.F.: 2 shots per cannon per melee (4 total).
Range: 32 km (20 miles) in space. Payload: 1,000 PPE per 24 hours to operate , but may fire indefinately durring that time.
Notes: Automatic to-hit of 18 (target vessel must dodge or parry with shields), and is captiol ship scaled (can NOT target fighters).

4) Starfire Pulse-Cannon Point Defense turrets (10): Based on designs found on the Elindil, these pop-up TW point defense guns are spaced evenly across the AEther-Hawks' hull to protect from enemy fighters and incoming missile strikes. The turrets may be manually operated or set to auto-fire.
Mega-Damage: 2D6X10 per burst. R.O.F.: 1 per gunners action or 3 attacks automated. Range: 1.83 km (6000ft.).
Payload: 100 PPE per gun, per hour (1,000 total). Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: The rotating turret gives a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved). Due to their magical nature, the bursts from these guns will damage objects & creatures normaly immune to energy.

5) Disruption Field: The entire hull of the AEther-Hawk is composed of a magic conductive crystaline substance (cultured from samples off the alien relic Elindil), which enables the PPE batteries to constantly replenish if near cosmic ley-lines. This also allows for a unique deffenive field to be used. A massive lightning-like discharge of mystic energy can be targeted against an enemy vessels’ electronc systems. In effect, a mysticaly powered EMP weapon. There is no one location for this system, as it is in effect the entire hull of the ship. The disadvantages of this ‘weapon’ are the extreme close range aspect, PPE cost, and need to hit the actual hull of the target.
Mega-Damage: 1D6X10 damage per hit, plus disruption effect (see notes). R.O.F.: 2 discharges per melee. Range: 1.6km (1mile).
Payload: 100 PPE per discharge. Light Ship scale= No penalties. Note: 360° sphere around the AEther-Hawk. In addition to the phsyical damage, the disruption field has the same effect as the negate mecahnics TW mini-missiles from the 3-Galaxies dimension Book (Pg. 131). Durration is 1D4 melees per hit and can even effect capitol ships.

Defensive Systems
ECM Suite (Anti-EM & Holo-fields); on a successful 'electronic warfare' skill roll, the ship becomes +4 to dodge all incomming attacks, and all homing missles are +6 to dodge. The Ship visibly seems to blur and distort and go transparrent.
Crystallis Armour; The outer hull &/ armour plating is a bio-metalic crystal matrix. First, all energy weapons will do only 50% damage. Secondly; one minute (4 melees), after combat has ended, all damage to the armour will begin to regenerate spontaneously, using the energy diffracted to heal its crystaline latice. This applies to coherent energy weapons only (Lasers, particle beams, etc); kinetic weapons will still do full damage.
Manoeuvre Enhancement Package; See below for bonuses (2 Lvls. above normal). Manoeuvres almost like a shuttle or heavy interceptor. The AEther-Hawk resmbles the bird it’s named after while in motion & combat.
Sensors
Advanced & Military Sensors; Can track and identify up to 500 targets with a 2000 mile range (3200km), and track an additional 25 objects out to 4000 miles (6400km); 1/2 range Inatmo. Objects as small as a golf ball can be seen at a distance of 300 miles Inatmo, or 26,000 miles in space (41,600km). Communications range is 200,000 miles (32,000km) in space. See later for combat bonuses.
Scientific Sensor Array; Full I.R., U.V, and Thermographic optical sensors with a range of 4LY and computer programs to sort and enhance incoming data. Adds +15% to navigation rolls. Can detect objects as small as a battleship from 4LY away, but takes 5D4 minutes to complete the scan.
Super-navigation Computer & Auto-pilot; 50% skill for FTL and Sublight navigation, and 50% Skill for piloting.

Other Systems
Recreation Areas; Mediation garden and lounge.
Artificial Gravity; Provides standard 1g environment within the ship.
Crew Quarters; Each crew member has their own private room with; bed, footlocker, computer unit & Bathroom.
Type 2 Recycling system (Atmosphere & consumables); Can continuously provide recycled, breathable air for 35 days for the crew plus passengers; other consumables can be recycled for up to 350 days.
Hull Breach Auto-Repair; Triple redundancy system, prevents catastrophic loss of atmosphere from hull breaches.
FTL Life-boats (17); See "AU; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 181 for details.
FTL Accelerators; This system allows the ship to go from Speed 0 (relative) to factor 1 in less than 5 seconds, eleiminating the acceleration time needed to "port" into FTL.
TW Systems
TW Sensors: Ley-line sensor, Sense Magic, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, See Dimensional Anomaly. Draws directly from the storage batteries. See Carl Gleba’s ‘Rifts: Three Galaxies’ Pg. 108-109 for descriptions, though ranges are based on the ’normal’ sensor suite (tied directly normal sensors).
Impervious to energy: 20 PPE / 20 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Invisibility superior: 20 PPE / 30 minutes. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Sustain: 12 PPE / 8 days. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Equal to 8th level power.
Spaceflight superior: 38 PPE / 10 hours. Draws directly from the storrage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Used when / if primary power is disrupted to the main engines. Equal to 8th level power = 24,000mph (38,400 km/h)².
Pin-point deflectors: 70 PPE / 2 minutes per deflector (up to 10). Same effect as Targeted-Deflection spell, but cover a 10ft. area per barrier. Draws directly from the storage batteries, but can be activated by others from the bridge. Must be manually controlled. Equal to 8th level power.
This techno-wizard engine creates a stable wormhole that enables the Aether-Hawk to travel enormous distances in a single jump. This system is a three part device. The first (and most important) component of the D-Drive is the ‘navigational cogitator’. Consisting of a series of massive parallel-processors programmed with navigationl charts, linked to a TW cloud chamber resembling a 30ft. ‘plasma-globe’ made of black crystal located deep in the center of the ship. The second part is the navigators chair, which connects the navigator mage to the sensor systems of the ship via TW neural links (a modified noro psi-helm). Finally, the drive system (located in the wings) which create the actual wormhole effect.
When activated, a glowing ring of bluish energy projects from the wing tips to encircle the ship. Also, lines of glowing blue vein the surface of the Aether-Hawk; each line composed of moving msytic sigils and glyphs. 1-6 minutes later, the ring shoots forwards opening the transit wormhole, drawing the ship along behind it.

Attack Craft
Up to 200 tonnes of vehicles may be carried. Also shuttlecraft and / or sattelites may be carried depending on mission. Furthermore 5 external docking collars can be used to carry additional attack shuttles, Hvy. Fighter-bombers and / or cargo pods. Typically carries 18 Shadowbolt TW Fighters in the vehihicle bays, and 4 MKXV Arcane Assault Shuttles (with full crew) durring combat missions.

Bonuses
+4 Intiative, +5 to dodge (-1 using sails), +1 to strike with all weapons and +35% to combat piloting rolls and +10% to weapon systems lock-ons. When using solar-sails, the vessel is -15% to detect (or +15% to 'prowl') when at extreme hostile sensor range and when rigged for silent running.

Note
Vessels auto-repair / regrow damage done at 10% per location every 24hrs. Completely destroyed systems require time in drydock to replace.
Nice! Man I like your designs
Aramanthus
Monk

I do remember these vessels. I have been painfully busy in the past few weeks. I am still working on own vessels.

HH....FIE
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

The below ship is designed for small adventurer parties as an alternative to the runner ship.

Shard Class Ship Family

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/9018826880/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/9017637777/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/9017637073/

These elegant and simple ships were created about 200 years ago, to be the scouts and exploratory starships for the Human Alliance Scout Services. They were designed by the Horizon Aerospace (a small but highly acclaimed shipwright company which came to be known by its superior quality civilian space and starships), as medium range discovery ships. Up until this day, this is the most successful non-military small scout ship in the Terran space.

Over time, this class became so popular that the Horizon Aerospace created another two variants of it and sells these non-scout ships to the civilian customers. One such variant is a small, long range passenger ship while the other one is a light freighter. All variants look the same from the outside and nearly the same in the inside.

The scout variants typically have a four men crew dedicated to running the ship, and up to eight "passengers" who specialize in a variety of missions such as envoys, cartographers, or a variety of researchers (e.g. planetary, stellar, cultural, trade, etc.), and/or other missions.

The long range passenger ships usually run by a crew of four (need only two but in this case the turrets use their basic automatic targeting and fire options), and usually transport four to eight passengers in small, yet comfortable cabins. Some passenger ships could carry more passengers if the captain of the ship replace the cargo hold by additional passenger cabins (up to six additional cabins can be placed into the cargo hold, but this will reset the cargo capacity or only the hangar can be used to transport small amount of cargo).

Light freighter variants use the same crew numbers, but equipped only with two small cabins for extra passengers and lack the medical-bay.

Shard class exploratory ships typically operate just outside the border of the known space, usually between 50 and 150 parsecs (160 to 490 light-years) outside of mapped territories. Exploration beyond this range is typically conducted by larger, more self-sufficient ships. Frequently one world would be visited by several Shard class ships, each performing their own mission and/or explorations.

Regardless the sub-variant of this class, all ships are moderately armored and also have a relatively strong basic force field to help the small vessels to survive the dangers of the unknown areas in outer space.
Roughly three quarters of the ships which are in service (be it a Scout Service vessel or a private owned one) have no offensive weaponry only defensive ones, the other quarter have a random mix of military grade turrets and missile types. The Shard class exploratory ships also equipped with a probe launcher and 6 scout probes. This system is placed under the bridge section and the non-exploratory ships are not equipped with it.

The ships of this class have always been known as highly agile and fast vessels. Nowadays, an updated or newly created Shard class vessel is equipped with class E contra-gravity drive for FTL travel, plus a fast and agile sublight contra-gravity drive, which are powered by a compact fission reactor. Together these drive systems give the ship the ability to travel between different star systems in a relatively short time, and to operate at above average maneuvering speeds. Older variants without upgrade can be found, but they only equipped with class D contra-gravity FTL drive system and their sublight drive system is slower (its maximum speed is 20% lower).

The crew and the passengers of this class usually arrive on the ship through one of its airlocks (which are equipped with a retractable docking tube). These airlocks can be found on the lower front area of the ship both on the port and Starboard side. Both airlocks lead to the lower level lounge. There are two doors (next to the airlock internal doors) on the back side of this area which leads to the cargo hold. This front lower level also holds two rooms. One is a small medical-bay on the lower level of the front section, but it is sufficiently equipped, so a skilled medic can deal with many medical problems (be it a major problem like combat injuries or poisoning, or even minor surgery can be performed in this bay).
The other room holds a life support unit. On the light freighter variant these rooms are replaced by two small passenger cabins.
From the lounge, between the stairs, opens a small service corridor which leads to the main electronics systems (sensors, ECM, communication systems).

The above mentioned stairs lead up to an inbetween level which serves as a multi purpose area. It is a large lounge with a built in kitchen and dining area, and also serves as a small conference room/office. This area also has a large window over head. Foldable partitions from the ceiling can cordon off the various sections of the area. This partition is usually in place during the evening, night, and morning to make the area a little quieter. Movies can be projected on this foldable partition. Additional stairs lead to the crew cabins to the upper level. These cabins are smaller than the average ones and two cabins share a single bathroom. While not too comfortable for a prolonged stay, they weren't designed to serve other than a roomy bedroom. Most of the time the crew members stay on the bridge or the lounge. Directly in front of the crew cabins can be found another pieces of various electric systems (reserve energy storages, auxiliary life support systems, reserve communication and sensory systems parts, small shield emitters and so on).

From the crew rooms, another door leads to the middle section of the ship. On the upper level this means a long and wide corridor (with another door on its other end), 4 cabins and an upper docking port (iris valve). The corridor is usually lightly furnished. The cabins which can be found in this section of the ship are standard small cabins equipped to be much more comfortable (some might even reach the luxurious category) and their wall usually equipped with holographic projectors.
On the light frighters this area looks different. This upper level is opened to the below level and serve as a part of the cargo hold. A narrow, bridge like corridor connects the two ends of this section and has the same upper docking port (with the ceiling iris valve).

The third, aft section of the upper level dedicated to the engineering section, the drive systems, the main life support units, the dorsal rectractable turret system and a half level below the bridge. The port and starboard side hold most of the machinery, while the corridor, which leads to the bridge, serves as the ship's locker room, holds the repair station for the upper gun (the large box like attachment that hanging down from the ceiling holds the retractable turret and it is lower the maximum height to 7 feet directly under the storage box) and has a floor iris valve which leads to a similar but smaller room on the lower level. The most interesting design feature of this class is its bridge section which can be reached from this corridor through a reinforced door.

The bridge is placed between the upper and lower level and doesn't have any external viewing ports. The designers placed various systems over and under the bridge (the probe launcher and its probes placed under the bridge, on the non-scout ships these section loaded with additional emergency batteries, but smugglers usually convert this hard to reach area as small smuggler hold that is surrounded with various systems and very difficult to detect).
There are four workstations and six different holographic screens help the crew to control the ship and its weapons. The port and a starboard doors lead to small engineering sections (which hold the bridge's own life support system, emergency batteries, homing beacon, emergency radio and survival kits) that also serve as a separation area between the engines and the bridge and through their floor iris valves, the crew can reach the reactors and other systems placed on the lower level under the main drive system.
On the back side of the bridge there are a built in small fresher and a hidden emergency door. The door can only be opened from the inside and only in case of emergency when the bridge is launched as an escape boat from the ship. This lifeboat bridge section is another unique feature of this class.

The middle section of the lower level is the ship's cargo hold. It is only 10 feet high, so the explorer and passenger ship cannot carry standard containers only micro cannisters (maximum capacity is 65 micro cans or 90 metric tons). The cargo bay doors (one on the Port and another on the Starboard side of the ship) are 11 feet wide and 10 feet high their thickness is 1 foot.
However, the cargo hold of the freighter variant is 20 feet tall (except under the narrow bridge where the maximum height is 11 feet on the lower level), so that ship is able to hold and carry standard containers. With fully loaded cargo hold (which means the crew cannot reach the hangar section through the cargo hold) a light freighter could carry up to 4 standard cans and 50 micro cans or up to 110 micro cans. Maximum cargo capacity of the light freighter is limited to 105 metric tons. Cargo bay doors are 15 feet high (their width is 11 feet).

Under the engineering section, the lower level contains the shield system, the lower gun bay and a hangar bay. From the gun bay, which can be reached through an iris valve from the upper gun bay, the crew can monitor and repair the shield system (they only need to slide a small section of the wall).
In its separated small internal hangar, the vessel could carry different types of vehicles for different types of missions. For example visiting a hostile world which is incapable of space travel (let alone star travel), a lightly ship might go with a heavily armed and armored contra-gravity scout car. The scout car then would be used to visit the surface while the mother ship stays safely parked in orbit. However, most of the time the hangar holds a compact hover ATV and two to four hover bikes. Regardless its type, the size of the carried vehicle is limited and cannot be higher than 8 feet, its lenght is limited to 25 feet and its width must remain under 7 feet (the hangar bay door is 9 feet tall, 8 feet wide and 1 foot thick). The size of the hangar is 16x13x10 feet and this bay can be reached from the cargo hold.

All doorways throughout the ship are non-sliding doors (old fashioned 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide doors that looks like the doors those can be found on the naval ships and submarines), but the ship also equipped with four iris valves. All doorways and iris valves have standard security measures including a variety of ways to prove identity, and ample warnings of opening, breaches, etc.

Regardless its sub variant, the ship is not equipped with separate landing gears and always lands on its belly (which is reinforced for this reason) when its lower turret is retracted. The designers prepared their creation for aquatic landing (may land on water surface) and equipped it with inflatable bags.

The ship design is still highly popular, and is made not only for the Scout service, (who sells/gives away surplus ships), but also made strictly for private use.

Model Type: HA-SS-5
Vehicle Type: Light Explorer Ship / Light Freighter/Courier/Passenger Ship
Crew: 2 to 4.
Passengers: 2 to 8 depending on variant

M.D.C. by location:
[1]Main Bridge/Lifeboat – 400
Engines (2) – 250 each
Cargo Bay Doors (2) – 250 each
*Outer Hull (100 square feet) – 50
Interior bulkheads (100 square feet) – 25
Airlocks (2) – 150 each
Retractable Laser Turrets (2) – 100 each
Missile Launcher – 150
[2]Main Body – 1,500
[3]Basic Shield – 1,500 total

Notes:
[1] Destroying the bridge will eliminate the main computer and the controls, but the ship can be controlled from the engineering section deep inside the ship. The secondary control system is less sensitive and is -2 to strike and dodge. It also takes 1D6 melee rounds for engineering to take control of the vessel, during which the ship is helpless.
[2] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body means the ship is knocked out of service and in tatters. Life support is on auxiliary power, all major systems are out and the ship is adrift, unable to fight or move under its own power. The ship itself will be a floating wreck.
[3] Non-variable shield system, regenerate at the rate of 25% (375 M.D.C. total) per melee.
* Punching holes in the hull will cause the damage control system to automatically seal off whatever compartment has
been exposed to vacuum.

Speed:
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible. Depth tolerance is 1 mile (1.6 km).
Sublight: The ship's maximum speed is 10 Mach with fully loaded cargo hold and 12 Mach with empty one (under 50 tons of total cargo capacity their maximum speed is 11 Mach).
FTL propulsion: 5 light-years per hour maximum speed.
Atmospheric Propulsion: 750 mph (1,200 kph) using CG drive.
Underwater Propulsion: 60 mph (96 kph).
Maximum Range: 3 months with maximum crew and passenger capacity.

Statistical Data:
Length: 100 feet (30.5 meters).
Height: 23 feet (7 meters) with retracted turrets, 28 feet (8.54 meters) with extended turrets
Width: 45 feet (13.73 meters)
Weight: 200 metric tons
Power System: Fission with 30 year life span.
Cargo: 95 metric tons (for explorer and passenger variants) or 105 metric tons (light freighter variant) with an additional 10 tons hangar bay capacity (reserved for vehicles).
Market Cost: 25 million credits for a new freighter variant, 27.5 million credits for a new passenger/courier variant and 35 million credits for a new explorer variant.
Popular Upgrades:
Extra armor – for up to additional 500 M.D.C. cost 5,000 credits for every additional M.D.C. point, lower the cargo capacity by 50 kgs (111 lbs) for every additional M.D.C. point.
Stealth Coating – para-military version costs 1 million credits, military coating costs 3 million credits (illegal). Lower maximum cargo capacity by 1 ton.
Stronger Shields – costs 7,500 credits for every additional M.D.C. point for up to 750 additional M.D.C.
Better Guns – Replace the existing ones, its cost is depends on the gun (limited to light energy guns or up to GR-1000 with 3,000 rounds/75 bursts per cannon)
Long Range Missile Launcher – Replace the MRM launcher, limited to 12 long range missiles, 6 shot salvo, costs 1.5 million credits including the missiles cost.
External Missile Launchers – Up to 2 medium missile launchers with 48 missiles, 8 shot salvo per action, 150 M.D.C. and 3 million credits per launcher (including missiles cost).

Weapon Systems:
Retractable Laser Turrets (2):
These weapons used to shoot down any incoming enemy target. All turrets has been equipped with combat computer and an accurate automatic gunnery program (4 Attack per Melee, +2 to Initiative, +3 to Strike). Each turret can rotate 360 and has a 180 arc of fire. Each mount is controlled by a separate gunner or the gunnery program or remote controlled from the brigde.
Range: 5 miles (8 km) in space and 2.5 miles (4 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 3D6x10 M.D. per turret.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner
Payload: Effectively unlimited.

Medium Range Missile Launcher:
These weapons used to shoot down any incoming enemy target. Each mount is controlled from the brigde.
Range: As per missiles
Mega-Damage: varies with missile type
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2, 4, 6 or 8 missiles per action
Payload: 48 missiles loaded into the launcher. Can be reloaded when the ship is landed.

Noteable systems:
Sensory System – Standard range sensory system for the non-explorer variants with 300,000 miles (480,000 km) range and 2 light-years FTL detection. +5% bonus to sensory skill rolls and able to track and identify up to 100 objects at the same time.
Explorer ships equipped with extended range system with 600,000 miles (960,000 km) range and 5 light-years FTL detection. +15% bonus to sensory skill rolls and able to track and identify up to 500 objects at the same time.
Communication System – Standard system for the non-explorer variants with 250,000 miles (400,000 km) range. FTL comm system's range is limited to 5 light-years (speed is 20 light-years per hour).
Explorer variants have an enchanced system with 500,000 miles (800,000 km) range and its FTL comm system have 500 light-years range with 75 light-years per hour speed.
ECM system – A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
Hardened systems – The ship electronic systems are reinforced against jamming type attacks. Lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 15% (cumulative with the sensory system resistance).
Damage Control – The onboard facilities and the repair crew can restore 250 M.D.C. worth of structural damage per day as long as they have enough raw materials and spare parts to perform this job.

Carried crafts:
Varies, usually one small ATV and 2 to 4 bikes or Power Armors, plus 6 scout probes (only on explorer variants).

Advantages:
Above average maneouvering (+5% to all pilot rolls, +1 to Dodge).
taalismn
Priest

sagajr DE-LIVAS! :ok:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice. I like it.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The location of the bridge is also rather unique, although it increases the chance that a 'Golden BB' hit to the engines will take out the bridge as well.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

taalismn wrote:The location of the bridge is also rather unique, although it increases the chance that a 'Golden BB' hit to the engines will take out the bridge as well.

Thanks for the comments.

Indeed the unique design and placement of the bridge may entail some risks, however, I'm not sure that the destruction (or at least reduction of the MDC value to zero) of the CG drive's external parts (which are also small targets, not much larger than a power armor) cause a lethal explosion which even destroy the bridge. At least I didn't find any description in the canon about this case.

The corridor like attachments on the sides of the bridge (which also acts as safety zone and contain systems like fire extinguisher and even a low powered force field that deisperse or redirect the explosive force to weakened panels) lower the chance of catastrophic explosion, so the bridge remain safe. As long as the reactor remains intact and undamaged, the crew and the passengers do not have to worry about an internal explosion.

I put some additional ship artwork and deckplans on my Flickr photostream. The stats for those ships are finished, but their description... :oops:
taalismn
Priest

sagajr wrote:[
I put some additional ship artwork and deckplans on my Flickr photostream. The stats for those ships are finished, but their description... :oops:

We'll check ttem out then, and await the write-ups. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:The location of the bridge is also rather unique, although it increases the chance that a 'Golden BB' hit to the engines will take out the bridge as well.

Actually, if a BS class gun hits the ship and penetrates the engine compartment to the bridge... Well, frankly there is not much left from the ship at that point.

Kinda like hitting a WWII fighter pilot through the engine block - that leaves two perfect wings from the craft (speaking about single engine, single pilot craft, of course).

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

KLM wrote:

Actually, if a BS class gun hits the ship and penetrates the engine compartment to the bridge... Well, frankly there is not much left from the ship at that point.

Except for that one dramatic survivor who just happens to be in a spacesuit at the far end of the ship when it gets blown apart, and manages to float free(assuming the ship gets kakked in deep space) to contemplate eternity. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Colonial Class Support Ships (Cargo Chief, Vanguard and Mercy)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/8441866006/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/8441866952/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/8440773967/in/photostream/

The Colonial class of ships are good examples of the multi-purpose light freigters found across the Three Galaxies. Large enough to be outfitted with various support systems (and many reserve ones), yet still small enough to be carried by or on larger ships and to land on planetary surface. Just like most of the other commercial small ships, these also built around a simple hull design.

The first ships of this class were designed to be the fastest transport craft which can haul various cargo containers from one star system to another. Outfitted with high speed sublight engines and above average speed FTL drives, a small fleet of these ships were able to act as resupply ships for colonies not too far away from the borders of the known space. Their engines were fast enough to outrun the most common pirate fighters and some of the slower pirate raider ships, but their armament were not strong enough to bring down enemy fighter crafts when caught/ambushed by raiders.

To overcome this problem some captains tried to rebuilt their freighters to Q-ships with more weapons, better sensors and better overall performance, but this cost too much money, need too much work to rewire and fully rebuild the vessel (which was not designed to carry powerful weapons) and decreased the ship's cargo capacity too much. There was no simple or cheap solution to prevent the pirate raids, not until the creators of the ship finally designed a new craft to solve the increasing pirate and raider problems.

The new ship (called Vanguard) was built around the same frame, used the same bridge and engine layouts but most of its interior was completely redesigned to serve the fleets of merchant ships as an escort/law enforcement craft. This vessel got more and better weapon systems, equipped with more sensitive sensors, got the ability to carry and deploy sensor nets/drones and serve as a mobile police station outfitted with prisoner cells, patrol car and other law enforcement systems and hardware. New pods were designed for this variant become popular in the rows of freighter captains who excanged their ships external cargo pods with the new speed boosters or gun pods.

The latest and newest addition to the Colonial line of ships is a mobile hospital ship (nicknamed as Mercy). A single ship carry enough medicine and skilled doctors along with other medical crew to sterilize any colony or stop the spread of plagues or even to serve as a M.A.S.H. unit. The lower level of this variant is a fully equipped mini hospital with multiple surgeries, examination rooms, cryo pods, enough beds to treat a dozen heavily injured people and also equipped with a state of the art medical laboratory and a decontamination unit. The ship also serve as home for the nurses and doctors with recreational facilities, high performance life support system and enough fresh supply for several months. This ship can be outfitted with the same external pods as the older variants (the three most common ones are the cargo pods, fusion booster pods and the weapon pods).

This ship is covered with light armor plates (except the Vanguard, the law enforcement variant which uses medium armor plates) and uses strong basic force field technology to provide enough passive protection for the ship to survive not only meteors and harmful environments, but even a light skirmish against raiding parties.

The armament of the Mercy and the Cargo Chief seems light even for a civilian ship, so the brave traders rely heavily on other escort ships and the high speed of their vessel. The ship is only equipped with 6 turreted point defense weapon systems. To further enhance the defenses of these ships, their designers incorporate powerful ECM system and reinforce the internal system's protection.

The Vanguard variant is equipped with all the above mentioned defensive along with two rapid fire MRM launchers, plus two powerful semi-retractable gun turrets and 32 LRM launch tubes (16 on port side and 16 on starboard side). These LRM launchers are not only store and launch the missiles, but have a CAPMIS system installed. CAPMIS, acronym for enCAPsulated MISsile, is basically an additional housing for the missiles inside the launcher, and if required, the entire housing is ejected from the launcher containing the missile. The CAPMIS has its own sensor and communications suite, but can also be activated by ship crew themselves or other ships with the security clearance, and can be fired remotely, acting both as a standoff weapon, and can be deploy like a minefield if necessary as well. This ability and loadout allows to perform precision strikes on enemy forces with minimal retaliation to itself. Along with these guns and missiles the ships is also equipped with 12 sensor buoys/drones.

The sensors of the Mercy and Cargo Chief variants are average quality, reliable systems which are able to detect any disturbances or enemy movements from standard range and the ship is equipped with short range FTL sensors, too. Short range (intra-system) communication suite uses the galactic average level comm systems, with limited range FTL communication ability. Only the Vanguard variant comes equipped with better sensors and communication systems.

Regardless their type all ships of this class use mostly the same layouts. Each level is 11.5 feet high (3.5 meters), divided into two separate decks and three sections.
The front section of all ship is dedicated to the command and control facilities, however, unlike other sections of the ship, the internal height of C&C section's levels are different. The upper level use the same 11.5 feet interior height, but the lower level is only 5 feet tall (the sensory/communication and electronic warfare systems placed on this lower level along with the front shield emitters).

The designers put the bridge on the upper deck, where the crew can reach the main computer (and the reserve computer core), along with a small office room and a small ready room. The reserve computer core, the office and the ready room is replaced by additional cabins on the Mercy variants (these additional cabins serve as bedrooms for the 4 man crew of the ship). The back parts of this command section contains the reserve sensors and communication systems along with two escape pods (each one is designed for up to four large people or five human sized one). Two of the ship's four lading gears can be found on the lower deck of the C&C section.

The are behind the C&C on the upper level serve as the main living deck on these ships. This section is equipped with multiple large cabins (designed for long trips so these cabins are very well equipped and their comfort level is nearly the same as the first class cabins on a passenger liner), two airlocks with extendable docking collars, ladders or stairs as to serve as connection between the levels, at least two additional escape pods, kitchen and food storage rooms and a dining hall or dining room which is equipped to also act as lounge and on the Cargo Chief, there is a small medical bay with two cryo pods. On the Vanguard and the Cargo Chief variant, there is an empty room which can be furnished/equipped by the customer, and on the Vanguard there is three gunnery stations (two for the missiles, one for the upper gun turret).

The lower level of the middle section is dedicated for the main task of the ship. The Vanguard houses and carry on this lower middle section half of her crew, it is equipped with a large recreation room/lounge, two escape pods, the sensor drone dispensers, another gunnery station, a well equipped medical bay with eight cryo pods and finally a small security station.

On the lower deck of this section aboard the Mercy the customer finds multiple surgery rooms, a large ready/recreation room for the medical staff, four private rooms and two larger rooms for inpatients. There is also a state of the art medical laboratory, a cryo bay with 5 cryo pods and finally two special surgery rooms with extra decontamination equipment and sealings plus additional equipment to help the work of a cyber doc.

The lower deck's middle section on the Cargo Chief is a single, large cargo bay with two side mounted cargo doors. On this large hold the ship can carry up to 500 metric tons of various cargo. The ship is able to carry standard shipping containers, but it is limited to 20 total along with up to 50 micro cans and up to 100 cargo crates. If the ship carries only micro cans and cargo crates its maximum capacity (without cargo pods) is 225 micro cans and 400 cargo crates.

The remaining back section on the upper deck of hte ship contains the engineering, most of the machinery which runs the ship or maintains it and a small hangar with a hover SUV. On this level the engineering contains the life support system, additional shield emitters, multiple energy storage batteries (these systems store enough energy to run the ship on reserve energy for a 50 light-years FTL trip and 1 day on STL speed or for two weeks on STL speed with minimum shield power), and parts of the STL drive system. From this section ladders lead to the lower engineering level.

The lower deck of the ship's section is divided between parts of the engineering and the back cargo hold. There is a small storage room placed between the middle section and the back section of the ship on this lower level which is also separates the engineering area into two parts. The lower level engineering contains additional shield emitters, the fission reactors and parts of the main STL drive system. There is a small cargo hold on the back along with the cargo hold's airlock system. The other two landing gears put on the back end of the ship toward the sides.

The aformentioned small cargo hold, which can be accessed from the small storage room or through the cargo airlocks looks diffenrent on the Vanguard and on the Mercy variants. On the Vanguard, this area is divided into two separate sections. One half still serves as cargo hold (and the only cargo hold on the ship), but the other half of the area is redesinged to hold prisoners. There is four small prisoner cells which can be hold up to eight prisoners at a time (on some ships, especially on those operated by bounty hunters, these cells replaced with cryo pods to hold much more criminals during their trip to the nearest correctional facility).
On the Mercy variant, half of the original cargo hold is replaced by four examination room/office where the doctors can examine the patients or perform basic first aid. The rest of the area is still used as cargo hold to store medical, life saving items and medicines. The cargo airlock is modified on this class become much narrower, but equipped with a highly efficient decontamination/disinfection unit.

Regarless the sub-type, all Colonial Class ships are able to carry up to four pods on its external hull. The pods comes in pairs and currently there is 3 (actually 5) different types can be found on the market. The basic pod is the cargo pod. Its empty mass is 1 metric ton while its maximum loaded mass cannot exceed 5 tons. It is able to carry up to 10 micro cans or 60 cargo crates or the combination of 5 micro cans and 20 cargo crates.
The second pod type is the fusion bosster pod which is the combination of a highly efficient fusion afterburner and a fuel tank. Its loaded mass is 5 tons, carry 2 tons of Hydrogen Fuel and each pair of such pods increase the ships maximum speed by 2 Mach in space (or 1 Mach in an atmosphere) for up to 6 hours.
The third pod is the weapon pod which comes in three different variants. The type 1 weapon pod, the cheapest, houses a single heavy autocannon. Its loaded mass is 5 tons, its maximum range in space is limited to 12 miles (19.2 km) and stores enough ammo for 150 bursts.
The type 2 weapon pod is built around an upscaled version of the famous boom gun but uses contra-gravity technology. This gun shoot farther than the autocannon mentioned above, uses different and more expensive ammo and deliver a much more painfull blow to its target.
The type 3 pods are missile pods. Their payload depends only on the customer. Each pod is able to store up to 60 LRMs or 240 MRMs, no mixed option. The maximum salvo is limited to 8 in case of LRM and 16 for the MRM variant.
The pods, as mentioned already, comes in pairs and the weapon pod pairs must use the same type and same payload.

Nowadays, thanks to the increasing colonization efforts in the Thundercloud Galaxy, the CCW purchase large numbers of ships from the Colonial class. It is not a rare sight to see a small fleet of various Colonial class ships which escort the much larger colony ships along their way to their new home. The average colony group usually contains a dozen ship from this class with 4 to 6 Cargo Chiefs, 1 or 2 Mercys and at least 4 Vanguards which will acts as the main defense and patrol force of the colony.

Some ships are used by other governments, companies and independent captains as cargo/rescue/patrol ships, while some Vanguard types are modified to be more comfortable and serve its captain as a yacht or safari ship.

Model Type: CC-CC, CC-V, CC-M
Vehicle Type: Light Freighter / Patol Ship / Hospital
Crew: Minimum crew is 2 to 4, average crew is 4 to 8 people, 12 for the Vanguard
Troop Capacity: None for the Cargo Chief and the Mercy, up to 8 for the Vanguard
Passengers: Up to two for

M.D.C. by location (Cargo Chief and Mercy / Vanguard)
Bridge – 500 / 750
Main Engines (2) – 400 each / 600 each
Pods (up to four) – 200 each
Hangar/Cargo Bay Door – 500 each
*Outer Hull (100 square feet) – 75 / 100
Interior bulkheads (100 square feet) – 15 / 20
Reinforced Airlocks (2) – 200 each
Landing Gears (4) – 75 each
Light Laser Cannon Turrets (6, all ships) – 100 each
Retractable Laser Turrets (2, Vanguard only) – 150 each
Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, Vanguard only) – 300 each
Long Range Missile Launcher Tubes (32, Vanguard only) – 150 each
[1]Main Body – 1,500 / 2,000
[2]Shield – 2,000 for the Cargo Chief, 4,000 for the Mercy and the Vanguard

Notes:
[1] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body means the ship is knocked out of service and in tatters. Life support is on auxiliary power, all major systems are out and the ship is adrift, unable to fight or move under its own power. However, the weapons each have their own power supply and can still continue to fire. The ship itself will be a floating wreck.
[2] Shield regenerates 600 M.D.C. total per melee total for the Cargo Chief and 1,500 M.D.C. total per melee for the other variants.
*Punching holes in the hull will cause the damage control system to automatically seal off whatever compartment has been exposed to vacuum.

Speed:
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Maximum speed is 10 Mach for all ships without boosters (each pair of booster increases maximum speed by 2 Mach)
FTL propulsion: Contra-gravity drive with 4 ligh-years per hour for all ships.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Mach 2 (2,372.8 kph) using CG drive. The depth tolerance is 0.5 miles (800 meters).
Maximum Range: 4 months with full crew and passenger capacity for the Mercy and the Vanguard, 12 months for the Cargo Chief.
Maximum fuel capacity: 2 tons per fusion booster pod. Refuelling cost is 500 credits per ton of fuel.

Statistical Data:
Length: 215 feet (65.58 meters).
Height: 28 feet (8.54 meters), 30 feet (9.1 meters) with extended landing gears (or extended turrets).
Width: 80 feet (24.4 meters) at the widest point, 65 feet (19.8 meters) for the main body.
Weight: 750 metric tons with fully loaded cargo hold
Power System: Fission reactor with 30 year life span.
Cargo: 500 metric tons with the Cargo Chief, (total area of the cargo hold is 5,500 square feet – 510 square meters with 11.5 feet height). 100 tons for the other variants (size of the cargo hold is 20'x20'x11.5' total without cargo pods).
Market Cost: 55 million for the Cargo Chief, 75 million credits for the Mercy and 85 million credits for the Vanguard. All ship comes with 2 cargo pods and 2 booster pods and can be replaced by other pods.
Pod prices (per pair):
Booster pods cost 1.5 million credits
Type 1 weapon pods cost 1.25 million credits (fully loaded, additional autocannon ammo cost 5 credits per bullet)
Type 2 weapon pods cost 3 million credits (fully loaded, additional projectiles cost 20 credits each)
Type 3 weapon pods cost 4 million credits (fully loaded, additional missiles must purchased separately)

Weapon Systems:
Light laser cannon turrets (6, all ships):
Automated, turret mounted laser cannons designed to damage incoming fighters and missiles. Can be remote controlled from the bridge.
Range: 3 miles (4.8 km) in space (one third in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: 1D6x10 M.D. per turret.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or up to four times per melee without gunner (auto turret programs).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Bonuses: +4 to Stike with +2 to Initiative when controlled by gunnery programs.

Retractable Laser turrets (2, Vanguard only):
Turret mounted cannons designed to shoot down incoming fighters and missiles at long range or even harrass and damage heavier ships. Can be remote controlled from the bridge or from the security room. Auto turret option installed so these turrets are able to act on its own and react enemy attacks when no gunners available.
Range: 10 miles (16 km) in space (one third in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: 5D6x10 M.D. per turret.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or up to four times per melee without gunner (auto turret programs).
Payload: Unlimited.
Bonuses: +2 to Strike when controlled by dedicated gunner, +3 to Strike and +2 to Initiative for the auto-turret.

Medium Range Missile Launchers (2, Vanguard only):
Rapid fire missile launcher system designed to engage and destroy fighters from long range or damage heavier ships. Controlled by a dedicated gunner.
Range: As per missile
Mega-Damage: As per missile
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2, 4, 8 or 16 missiles per launcher.
Payload: 240 medium range missiles per launcher (no additional ammunition carried).

Long Range Missile Tubes (32, Vanguard only):
The main anti-ship armament on the Vanguard. Instead of an internally reloadable launcher system, this ship is equipped with 32 separate missile cell (two clusters of 16 tubes), each loaded with a single long range missile. In this storage form each missile is separated from the other ones and if an explosion occurs, the explosion force do not engage other missiles and leaves forward. However, this placement has its own disadvantage, because these missile launcher cannot be reloaded from inside, only from outside, which is rather time consuming and cannot be performed during combat. On the bright side, this layout allows the ship's captain to unleash massive volleys, even the whole missile package can be released by a single command.
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time per tube (may fire all tubes in one action if needed).
Payload: 1 long range missile per launch tube.

Optional Weapon Pod Type 1:
Long range heavy autocannon with built in ammo storage and area attack option. Ideal for strafing runs and against targets impervious to energy based attacks.
Range: 12 miles (19.2 km) in space (one half in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: A burst of 40 rounds do 6D6x10 M.D. per burst with standard ammo. 1D6x10 M.D. with area attack and damages everything in a 30 feet diameter area (cannot attack targets within 2 miles with area attack option).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks.
Payload: Limited to 150 attacks (6,000 rounds).
Bonuses: +1 to Stike.

Optional Weapon Pod Type 2:
Long range contra-gravity cannon with built in ammo storage. Ideal for long range precision attacks and against targets impervious to energy based attacks.
Range: 16 miles (25.6 km) in space (one half in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: 1D4x100+100 M.D. per attack. Double damage with unmodified attack rolls of 17 or higher.
Rate of Fire: Up to five times per melee (may shoot every three seconds).
Payload: Limited to 50 attacks.
Bonuses: No bonus against targets within 5 miles in space, +2 to Stike against targets farther than 5 miles in space.

Optional Weapon Pod Type 3:
Variable payload missile launcher.
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or 2, 4, 6, 8 or 16 missiles per pod.
Payload: 60 Long Range Missiles or 240 Medium Range Missiles per pod.

Noteable systems:
Sensory System on the Mercy and the Cargo Chief variants – Short range real time sensory range is 300,000 miles (480,000 km). Maximum number of tracked objects is limited to 300. +5% to read sensory system rolls. Detect FTL contra-gravity and FTL phase drive crafts movement within 2 light-years range.
Sensory System on the Vanguard variant – Short range real time sensory range is 400,000 miles (640,000 km). Maximum number of tracked objects is limited to 500. +10% to read sensory system rolls (increase this bonus to +15% within half range), resistant against sensor scramblers (lower attacker's sensory/electronic countermeasure skill value by 5%).
Communication System on Mercy and Cargo Chief variants – Basic range is 300,000 miles (480,000 km). Limited long range FTL communication system, based on contra gravity field technology with 5 light-years range and 10 light-years per hour speed.
Communication System on Vanguard – Basic range is 400,000 miles (640,000 km). Long range FTL communication system is a contra-gravity field communicator with 250 light-years range and 50 light-years per hour speed.
Electronic Warfare systems on the Mercy and the Cargo Chief variants – Defensive system only. ECM and hardened systems only. 15% penalty to the attacker's Weapon Systems skill rolls, lower smart missile's Strike bonus by 1 and lower the Strike modifier of the enemy gunner by 1. Works against up to 8 missiles and up to four attackers (mini ships or turrets/guns) at the same time.
Electronic Warfare systems on the Vanguard variant – 20% penalty to the attacker's Weapon Systems skill rolls, lower smart missile's Strike bonus by 2 and lower the Strike modifier of the enemy gunner by 2. Works against up to 48 missiles and up to 24 attackers (mini ships or turrets/guns) at the same time. Lower the Electronic Countermeasure skill roll of the enemy (if he/she performs electronic attack) by 5%.
Jammers can be used against up to 10 targets at a time (roll scrambler attack separately for each target). Gunners loses one action and lower their to Strike modifier by 1 (ie. -1 to Strike), while pilots loses 1 action/attack and lower their pilot skill rolls by 5%. Enemy communication become scrambled (-25% to any communication skill based rolls for the enemy/foreign ships, video communication and even the audio messages are hard to understand) within 50 miles diameter (half range in an atmosphere). Range of the jamming attack is 50 miles (half in an atmosphere or through an atmosphere).
Damage Control (all ships) – The onboard facilities, the damage control teams and the repair crew can restore 400 M.D.C. worth of structural damage per day as long as they have enough raw materials and spare parts to perform this job.

Carried crafts:
1 hover car.
12 sensor drones/buoys (only on Vanguard)

I changed the deckplan picture of the Lurgess/CA frigate on my photostream (the new picture includes info about the different rooms).
taalismn
Priest

Eventually somebody will design a utility starship that doesn't look like a shipping container.... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

BTW; semi-related.
"Your Phaseworld campaign, hero's and characters will NEVER be this epically awsome.
Ever."
http://youtu.be/_b1zGLAtg2Q
Just give up and accept that you can ONLY be second best. :D

I know I have...
"The positions of B.A.M.F. & B.F.S. have been filled; and they are called Harlock & Arcadia."

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:BTW; semi-related.
"Your Phaseworld campaign, hero's and characters will NEVER be this epically awsome.
Ever."
http://youtu.be/_b1zGLAtg2Q
Just give up and accept that you can ONLY be second best. :D

I know I have...
"The positions of B.A.M.F. & B.F.S. have been filled; and they are called Harlock & Arcadia."

So true.....#sob#
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I like the new ship. I also enjoyed the variants in the different ships.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Paladin Steel/Aegis Stellar Industries ‘Cosgrove’ Light Aerospace Transport
(aka ‘Grover’, ‘AstroClam’)
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/img401_zpsd9206730.jpg

“Ho-Hum, another routine trip to the dark side of the Moon and back.”
“How can you call that anything but routine?! The Lunies have only begun talking to us Earthers in the last year or so, and seriously trading with us in the last six months! And they still watch every one of our ships like it’s carrying a swarm of vacuum-proof rats, free-space-living fleas, and a new strain of the Black Death! And already you’re getting BORED?!”
“I take off, I leave atmosphere, I follow the safe passage, I boost, I freefall, I decelerate into lunar orbit, and de-orbit, I drop my ramps, the Lunies unload, I take on less cargo, I take off, I reverse the order, return to Earth, and prepare to take on another load. I practically have the whole profile programmed into my boat’s computers. I’m a delivery van. It’s progress.”
“Well, better remember your aerospace combat training, because I’ve got a blip incoming on the long range; it’s ID’ing as unknown and its acceleration profile is anything BUT routine or friendly!”

The ‘Cosgrove’ is a PS/ASI-made multipurpose light aerospace transport typically used for stratospheric/low orbit surface-to-surface ‘hops’ and surface/space shuttle duty. Modified, however, it can serve as a light FTL transport.
The Cosgrove is distinguished by having a large, broad, saucer-shaped lower cargo deck, with a high bridge tower rising over the top of the cargo/propulsion hull. The design uses a lenticular-array contra-gravity propulsion system for stable lift and flight. The craft has a comfortable, stable, flight performance that is easy to maneuver and turn with.
The Cosgrove does have some deficiencies and design limitations, however. The ship is slow by Three Galaxies standards, the bridge tower is vulnerable to attack(and its high placement outside the main hull’s protective belt tends to attract pirate fire), and the circular cargo bay isn’t always the most efficient for maximizing the carriage of vehicles.
Despite its shortcomings, the ‘Cosgrove’ is proving popular because, coming from a Rifts Earth company, it’s overbuilt. The ship is heavily armored for its job, redundantly equipped, and reliable-tough, making it ideal for colonial efforts and backwater worlds with limited high-tech aerospace capability. The design is also tolerant of modification, allowing for different configurations and even military conversions. As a ‘fixer-upper’, the Cosgrove has attracted a fair share of customers happy to work their own ideas on the design.

Type: PS/ASI-LAT025 ‘Cosgrove’
Class: Light Aerospace Transport, Lenticular
Crew: 7
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 3,500
Bridge Tower 860
Landing Jacks(8) 200 each
Ramps(1-4) 650 each
Height: 25 ft main hull, 36 ft at central tower
Width: 250 ft main hull diameter
Length: 250 ft main hull diameter
Weight: 1,240 tons
Cargo: 800 tons
As a vehicle carrier it can carry 80 small vehicles(the size of a family car) or 40 large vehicles(tractor-trailer sized).
Configured as a pure passenger carrier, it can carry up to 700 passengers for short(less than 24 hours) flights, fewer for longer flights with correspondingly more onboard logistical support.
Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion w/ 30 year energy life
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Sublight) Mach 6
(Kitsune Values: 15% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.6% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) None standard; see Options
(Underwater) Can float on the surface and maneuver at a lumbering 3 MPH, and can survive submerged down to 300 ft.
Market Cost: 175 million credits
Systems of Note:
Standard Aerospace Systems, plus:

*Thermal Resistant Heat-Refractory Tile Armor---Special heat-resistant materials designed for reentry vehicle shielding. Heat and plasma-based attacks do 1/4 damage. Note that this applies only to the underside and leading edges of the airframe.

Bonus: +1 to dodge and +12% to Pilot skill.

Weapons Systems: None standard, but has provision for up to six light point defense weapons turrets.

Auxiliary Craft: None standard

Options:
*Detachable Lifeboat Bridge---Not common with passenger models, but some cargo variants feature bridge towers that can detach in an emergency and serve as a separate lifeboat. Capable of limited zero-gravity maneuvering and independent atmospheric reentry. Cost: 1.8 million credits

*ForceShields---Typically light or heavy commercial shields(600-1,200 MDC) can be fitted to civilian models.

*FTL Drive Systems---By sacrificing 20% of their cargo space and capacity, the Cosgroves can be fitted with interstellar FTL drive systems. A fairly standard system is a CG-B -class drive with a speed of 2 light years/hour, costing 20 million credits.

Variants:
*LAT025LC-----Military variant, meant as an assault landing craft .
-Heavy Armor: +650 MDC to Main Body, and increase armor on all other locations by 25%.
-Heavy Forcefield: 2,400 MDC
Weapons Systems:
1) Point Defense Turrets(6)---These are standard CCW-pattern dual laser/mini-missile launchers that have been installed for close-in defense.
Range: (Lasers) 4,000 ft in atmosphere/2 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 2 miles in atmosphere /200 miles in space)
(Mini-Missiles) 1 mile in atmosphere/2 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 2 miles in atmosphere/ 100 miles in space)
Damage:(Lasers) 1d6x10 MD per blast
(Mini-Missiles) Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire:(Lasers) EGCHH, or auto-fire; 6 attacks per melee
(Mini-Missiles) Volleys of 1-8
Payload: (Lasers) Effectively Unlimited
(Mini-Missiles) 32 mini-missiles per turret; additional mini-missiles can be carried as cargo(typically takes 2d6 minutes to reload from the holds).

*LAT025LCAAS -----Military variant, meant as a direct fire antiaircraft/antimissile platform. Cargo capacity has been sacrificed for mounting multiple rapid-fire anti-fighter weapons. The ramp bays have been modified to slide out large multi-barrel weapons arrays. These vessels are typically used as defensive pickets, protecting space stations, orbital shipyards, and colony facilities.
Systems of Note:
*Advanced Fire Control---Linked to the sensors, this system gives the weapons a +3 to strike.

Weapons Systems:
1) Point Defense Turrets(6)---These are standard CCW-pattern dual laser/mini-missile launchers that have been installed for close-in defense.
Range: (Lasers) 4,000 ft in atmosphere/2 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 2 miles in atmosphere /200 miles in space)
(Mini-Missiles) 1 mile in atmosphere/2 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 2 miles in atmosphere/ 100 miles in space)
Damage: (Lasers) 1d6x10 MD per blast
(Mini-Missiles) Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire:(Lasers) EGCHH, or auto-fire; 6 attacks per melee
(Mini-Missiles) Volleys of 1-8
Payload: (Lasers) Effectively Unlimited
(Mini-Missiles) 32 mini-missiles per turret; additional mini-missiles can be carried as cargo(typically takes 2d6 minutes to reload from the holds).

2) Rapid -Fire Pulse Lasers(4)---Mounted in retractable mounts where the cargo ramps are on the civilian model are powerful rapid-fire pulse lasers (Light-class).
Range: 2 miles in atmosphere, 4 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 4 miles in atmosphere, 4,000 miles in space)
Damage: 5d6x10 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: EGCHH
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

3) Rapid-Fire Heavy Chain Guns(2 x4) ---Bundled to each pulse laser is a brace of rapid-fire chain guns that can spray space with hypervelocity projectiles.
Range: 1.5 miles in atmosphere, 3 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 3 miles in atmosphere, 300 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x10 MD per burst, 4d4x10 MD for both weapons firing simultaneously.
Rate of Fire: EGCHH, or auto-fire; 6 attacks per melee
Payload: 1,000 burst drum per gun; additional drums can be carried as cargo(typically takes 2d6 minutes to reload from the holds).

*LAT025LCIM -----Military variant, configured as a missile boat for antiaircraft/antimissile operations. Fills the cargo bays with an array of missile launchers that slide out to deploy. These vessels are frequently coupled with the LAT025LCAAS variant described above, in defensive postures.
Weapons Systems:
1) Short Range Missile Launchers(2)
Range: Varies by Missile Type
(Kitsune Values: 10 miles in atmosphere, 500 miles in space)
Damage: Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-20
Payload: 150 missiles per launcher, 300 total

2) Medium Range Missile Launchers(4)
Range: Varies by missile type(speed and range x4 in space)
(Kitsune Values: 160 miles in atmosphere, 80,000 miles in space)
Damage: Varies by missile type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1, 2, 4, 5, or 10
Payload: 80 missiles per launcher, 320 missiles total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Has anyone ever of making spaceships from some of those gigantic building-sized "pines" millenium trees produce? The thought just crossed my mind of someone carving a giant fallen branch - or shaping it with some "biomancy" spells from Rifts South America - into air/spaceship form with some of the leafs as wings or sails.

Thought that some space elves - or space druids - might try something funky like that.
taalismn
Priest

SolCannibal wrote:Has anyone ever of making spaceships from some of those gigantic building-sized "pines" millenium trees produce? The thought just crossed my mind of someone carving a giant fallen branch - or shaping it with some "biomancy" spells from Rifts South America - into air/spaceship form with some of the leafs as wings or sails.

Thought that some space elves - or space druids - might try something funky like that.

I'e considered 'Ort Trees' but not pinecone cruisers.
Hmmmm...wooden spaceships... 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Has anyone ever of making spaceships from some of those gigantic building-sized "pines" millenium trees produce? The thought just crossed my mind of someone carving a giant fallen branch - or shaping it with some "biomancy" spells from Rifts South America - into air/spaceship form with some of the leafs as wings or sails.

I'e considered 'Ort Trees' but not pinecone cruisers.
Hmmmm...wooden spaceships... 8)

The shells of titanic clams or other gigantic invertebrates might be fun too.
Or setting up rooms and decks in the shells of giant barbacles grown the back of space whales of titanic proportions.
Yeah, i'm going fantastic & weird but i liked Spelljammer and the UWW needs some love too. :D
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Someone feeling nostalgic for 'Tenchi Myuhou' ?
re; trees as starships.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

As I recall, the Kreeghor use the gutted organic shells of giant megadamage critters for some of their designs. This has shades of the Santovasku Empire from 'Outlanders' where the ships are definitely alive(and VERY nasty), resembling giant snails, beetles, squid, and limpets.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

DhAkael wrote:Someone feeling nostalgic for 'Tenchi Myuhou' ?
re; trees as starships.

Actually, i had completely forgotten about it - not surprising considering the last time i saw anything of the franchise was probably more than 15 years ago -
i just made a bit of "space elves - space magic trees" extrapolation, so to speak. That and Spelljammer's elven empire with organic ships.

That said Jurai could certainly fit quite nicely as a member state of the UWW.

taalismn wrote:As I recall, the Kreeghor use the gutted organic shells of giant megadamage critters for some of their designs. This has shades of the Santovasku Empire from 'Outlanders' where the ships are definitely alive(and VERY nasty), resembling giant snails, beetles, squid, and limpets.

That's interesting - i had no idea the Kreeghor had ships like that, sounds like a practice they might have gotten from their past Splugorth overlords, good to know.
And know i'm imagining someone inserting the frame of a starship inside a humongous clam and it reacting to the irritating presence by turning it in a gigantic pearl. :D
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Let's not forget bio-engineered MDC coral for starship hulls either ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

SolCannibal
Champion

DhAkael wrote:Let's not forget bio-engineered MDC coral for starship hulls either ;)

I was thinking of exactly this kind of thing - one can find it in Rifts Books? Underseas, Lemuria or something else?
taalismn
Priest

Here's a blast from the past, full of nostalgic goodness:
http://vimeo.com/29549708
http://vimeo.com/50264257
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:Here's a blast from the past, full of nostalgic goodness:
http://vimeo.com/29549708
http://vimeo.com/50264257

Lovely stuff indeed, and i have at least one of those books.

As an aside i don't know if anyone has tinkered with, i remember a mention that when the Splugorth of the 3 Galaxies started to develop serious spacefleets for their kingdoms defense, they used the naval ships of the Kittani (already MDC and enviromentally sealed) as a starting point.

For example, the Kittani KY-HSS (aka Splugorth Slaver Raider): http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1385/77/1385778049374.jpg
And Kittani KSM-100 (aka Splugorth Slaver Mothership): http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/11/16/43/29/splugo10.jpg
Check out Rifts: South America 1 for those.

Not that one should ignore other fun stuff in the Atlantis worldbook, like the Insecton Land Rover, Creax Armored Rover or more importantly, the Dragon Dreadnought, that IS mentioned as both space-capable and a major weapon of the time they fought the Mechanoids. :D

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/010/8/0/Dragon_Dreadnought___Colour_by_Seothen.jpg
taalismn
Priest

SolCannibal wrote:[

Not that one should ignore other fun stuff in the Atlantis worldbook, like the Insecton Land Rover, Creax Armored Rover or more importantly, the Dragon Dreadnought, that IS mentioned as both space-capable and a major weapon of the time they fought the Mechanoids. :D

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/010/8/0/Dragon_Dreadnought___Colour_by_Seothen.jpg

I scaled up the Dragon Dreadnought into a full-sized battleship(and alluded to it in my Paladin Steel continuum as the 'Dreadnought Crisis' where one crashes into the middle of the Earth Orbital community, causing all sorts of pain and turmoil). I may even have posted it earlier in this thread.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:[

I scaled up the Dragon Dreadnought into a full-sized battleship(and alluded to it in my Paladin Steel continuum as the 'Dreadnought Crisis' where one crashes into the middle of the Earth Orbital community, causing all sorts of pain and turmoil). I may even have posted it earlier in this thread.

Now i really got to check it out. Thanks taalismn.
taalismn
Priest

-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

Good, something already came to mind upon reading a comment from Braden...

No. The Slugorth are relative newcomers to the space scene. Building ships to travel through the void is pointless when one one can just open a rift to another world, and journey 10,000 by stepping through a doorway.

Only in the aftermath of the creation of the UWW did the Splugorth begin to see that they were utterly vulnerable to orbital attacks. So they let the Kittani create the space fleet almost from the ground up.

The Splugorth have had stellar fleets then for about 1000 years... same as everyone else. The Splugorth only gratingly acknowledge that they need to ultilize such "mundane" technology: remember, these guys like their biowizardy...

The Splugorth really dislike the idea of any one minion being too valuable a resource for him not to easily replace with another - and they really like their biowizardry.
So what happens if some of the Splugorth rulers in the 3 Galaxies pay a bit more attention to stories about the Necrons and their space-worthy bio-tech?
Could certainly be another line of development, a revolution even, for some sploogie ruler out there.
taalismn
Priest

SolCannibal wrote:Could certainly be another line of development, a revolution even, for some sploogie ruler out there.

Why parallel develop, when you can capture and conquer?
At the very least, a Splugorth exploratory fleet to probe the possibility of invading and enslaving the Necrons.

Find their worlds, see if they're suitable for Rift-incursion, then start popping in Minions.
Ideally a two-front war where the Splugs can grab enough Necrons and their tech- base to start growing their own, even if they can't take over the Necrons wholesale.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Could certainly be another line of development, a revolution even, for some sploogie ruler out there.

Why parallel develop, when you can capture and conquer?
At the very least, a Splugorth exploratory fleet to probe the possibility of invading and enslaving the Necrons.

Should have said "collect and reverse-engineer" to mass produce and make up their own variants.

taalismn wrote:Find their worlds, see if they're suitable for Rift-incursion, then start popping in Minions.
Ideally a two-front war where the Splugs can grab enough Necrons and their tech- base to start growing their own, even if they can't take over the Necrons wholesale.

Certainly can make for a very engrossing game as the PCs have to deal with "bad or worse" kind of situation as trying to help either side can be messy but leaving them on their own might actually be even worse.
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting ship design. Any chance for a civilian version? Would PS sell any to a group with a colony in the Phase World universe? And would they sell a contract to allow the other party to build their own versions?

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”