What Kind of Role Player Are You

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

What Kind of Role Player Are You

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Within role playing games,

every player is accorded the opportunity to play their character however they want.

however after time, players begin to focus on specific aspects of playing

so the question begs to be asked, what's your favorite part of playing your character

Is it combat And action?

Do you enjoy really getting into your character and truly role playing them?

do you enjoy Using skills and solving puzzles?

or do you approach Games utilizing a hybrid of these aspects

how do you Role play your character, and why?
~ Love Conquers All ~
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: What Kind of Role Player Are You

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I usually start off as roleplaying the concept, but inevitably turn into the party caretaker. My characters are the ones organizing supplies, home bases, etc.
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

I personally end up playing the scout/ reconnaissance role

I have a propensity to play characters who are really quick, and stealthy, And can perform furitive actions

I think it comes from playing rogue characters in fantasy games, also it's a role that few people seem to tend towards, and can often be invaluable in getting out of difficult situations

The other role I really enjoy is as the healer of the group ,because it's such a Crucial role and can often determine the fate of the party

finally I personally really appreciate puzzles, And using my mind and Cunning to overcome obstacles, I also really enjoy playing in character And challenging myself to try something different that I normally wouldn't do in real life
Last edited by SmilingJack on Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Love Conquers All ~
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Yes. :D
Next silly question. :clown:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Outside of combat, I'm the planner. Sometimes that's a leadership position, other times it's a support position. But in either case, I make sure the party has what it needs to accomplish its goals, or has a plan to get what it needs.

In combat, I provide support to the other characters. My primary goal is to always insure that we have a safe way to escape from combat if things start to go against us. Secondary objectives is to do whatever I can to help the other characters. My ability to do damage is always pretty marginal compared to the other characters, so I usually attempt to do things that provide tactical advantage rather than doing straight damage to the enemy.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

SmilingJack wrote:I personally end up playing the scout/ reconnaissance role

I have a propensity to play characters who are really quick, and stealthy, And can perform furitive actions

I think it comes from playing rogue characters in fantasy games, also it's a role that few people seem to tend towards, and can often be invaluable in getting out of difficult situations

The other role I really enjoy is as the healer of the group ,because it's such a Crucial role and can often determine the fate of the party

finally I personally really appreciate puzzles, And using my mind and Cunning to overcome obstacles, I also really enjoy playing in character And challenging myself to try something different that I normally wouldn't do in real life

This sounds a lot like the way I play. I love playing the scout role and sneaking about. In the long run, I am there for the story. Anything that makes the world come alive is what I like.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

I depends on my character, but I do not play RPGs if I can't RP my character and I find that I love to solve enigmas/learn lore about the world. So those two/three are tied to me.
Action and Caretaking, well if the situation and group demands it, then sure. But roleplaying and solving enigmas are my main drive
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Out of combat, the concept usually varies, but the constant is that my characters all tend to be passionate about something - my rogue was constantly working to eliminate his enemies and obstacles, often before they even realized he considered them as such; my monk (who was stranded on a low-tech phase world, essentially) was obsessed with finding a blend of tea leaves akin to what he drank in his home plane; my thanagarian diplomat was obsessed with hot chicks with super-powers - and all the trouble that came with them (of course this was all just a ploy to get super-villains to seek asylum at thanagar's embassy, get them to join the military, and then ship them back to thanagar for experimentation....but that's neither here nor there :angel: ); etc, etc, etc. Whatever my character is focused on, he (or she) tries to do it to the best of their ability.

In combat, usually I build my character so that it can pair up with another player - either we duo-dps to shred bosses faster, or I let X tank while I move in for the kill. I let others rush to get the biggest and best weapons, and enjoy all the attention it gets them from the zombie dragons...while I sneak the KS and the treasure. 8-)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

In groups i get stuck being the leader, which is a terrible idea. Though i've successfully got our groups through a lot of bad situations, I've also lead us into certain death by accurately roleplaying my character.

When left to my own devices, I sneak. I patrol up to places quietly and half the time I've cleared the building without much resistance. I like to spend as few resources as possible dealing with most opponents because in rifts you never know if that perfectly normal looking human has a supernatural PS of 50 and 5000 MDC until it's too late. When you meet up with that, THEN it's time to pull out all the stops, but not before.

If i make an abrasive character, I don't change it just to be nice and when i play a polite character he doesn't suddenly lose his cool and murder people. I really like to stay true to concepts.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Alrik Vas wrote:When left to my own devices, I sneak. I patrol up to places quietly and half the time I've cleared the building without much resistance. I like to spend as few resources as possible dealing with most opponents because in rifts you never know if that perfectly normal looking human has a supernatural PS of 50 and 5000 MDC until it's too late. When you meet up with that, THEN it's time to pull out all the stops, but not before.

This is one of the reasons why CS forces are such attractive targets of opportunity. The odds of them being anything other than well equipped SDC mortals is exceedingly low. The biggest surprise you're likely to get reinforcements. Heck, they even label which units are psychics!

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

I suppose it's a hybrid of the OP options, I do like combat, but I also like working out puzzles etc and I LOVE to Role play my characters! Spent some time as a stage actor, so yeah character depth is important to me.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

flatline wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:When left to my own devices, I sneak. I patrol up to places quietly and half the time I've cleared the building without much resistance. I like to spend as few resources as possible dealing with most opponents because in rifts you never know if that perfectly normal looking human has a supernatural PS of 50 and 5000 MDC until it's too late. When you meet up with that, THEN it's time to pull out all the stops, but not before.

This is one of the reasons why CS forces are such attractive targets of opportunity. The odds of them being anything other than well equipped SDC mortals is exceedingly low. The biggest surprise you're likely to get reinforcements. Heck, they even label which units are psychics!

--flatline

Yeah, all true. Though i feel GM's are very inconsistent with the dangers of a well-equipped force of SDC mortals. You see a crowd of them 3000' away on a ridge and they make obscene gestures, letting you know they don't like you (or they're CS, so you know it from the get-go) and suddenly, before you close range or formulate a plan, mortars and artillery happen.

This is why i stay away from military forces when i can. Not everyone has the ability to stop time or leap into another dimension like a temporal wizard. :|
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Rifts®”