Your Earliest Palladium Memories

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Your Earliest Palladium Memories

Unread post by SmilingJack »

we all remember our first experience playing a Palladium game

many of those memories Shaped how we play today, and Are often fondly remembered

so what are your earliest memories?

here are some questions to help stimulate Your memories

1. what was your first palladium character

2. what was your first adventure like

3. what do you remember liking about Palladium immediately

4. what made you continue playing palladium games

5. what memory do you still carry with you today
~ Love Conquers All ~
flatline
Knight

Re: Your Earliest Palladium Memories

Unread post by flatline »

Absolute very first Palladium character I ever made was a mutant hawk from TNMT. The GM misunderstood how size levels and Bio-E interacted and so I ended up having way more Bio-E to spend than I should have. I didn't know any better since I hadn't yet read the book myself and, hey, he was the GM, so it didn't really matter.

I think I played one, maybe two sessions with him before we merged into another group that showed us the correct way to generate mutant animals.

Palladium was the first system I really got to know, and that was just because that's what the group of older kids that I played with were playing. As we branched out and learned other systems, we kept coming back to various Palladium settings because Palladium makes really great settings.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Mutant Porcupine, TMNT. Played for nearly a year (11-12 years old), got level 8...then got blown up in a bar fight when someone found the "insert dynamite here" slot on my pants.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
arthurfallz
Wanderer

Unread post by arthurfallz »

1. What was your first palladium character?

I'm having trouble remembering precisely. I think it was a Veritech Pilot, or my first TMNT character (I think a mutant bear or something). Neither were noteworthy, as we jumped around a lot on what we were playing until we hit Heroes Unlimited.

2. What was your first adventure like?

I honestly don't remember! :(

3. What do you remember liking about Palladium immediately?

I liked the fact that the weapons all had picutres for them. That there was a real sense of choice in terms of equipment. I liked the fact that high attributes gave you bonuses, and the excitement if you scored a good stat that you got a bonus die added. But really.. it was the first few pages, explaining how to play, the terms (an early gaming lexicon).

4. What made you continue playing palladium games?

Honestly, it was Robotech. I loved Robotech, even though I only got to see a few episodes on T.V. I read the entire novel series (adapted from the shows by Carl Macek). Also, I couldn't afford RPGs, and my friends bought Palladium games (because they were cheap), so I played it by default :lol:

5. What memory do you still carry with you today?

About Palladium? Hmm. Wacky, zany fun really. The thrill of rolling a natural 20 at the right time. How hard it was (is) to level up a character. The humour of figuring out wacky power combinations. The culturual knowledge I gained from reading some of Eric's work (even if not all of it was correct). It was part of my teenage life, and many of the concepts I learned and played with in Palladium have stuck with me.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Robotech fighter pilot

Standard robotech adventure, character ended up getting his leg blown off by a terrorist.

The range of skills.

Robotech

Weekends playing next gen with friends.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

1) Destroid Pilot in a Tomahawk!
2) The Launch of the SDF-1, I locked onto the deck and went PPC happy!
3) The Combat system!
4) Robotech, then I found Rifts. How much more incentive do you need.
5) Getting blown up in my Destroid by the Female Zents Boobie Guns! lol. Honestly, no one lets me live that one down.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

SmilingJack wrote:1. what was your first palladium character

Psi-Mal - Mal-Lak-Nar a aquatic world psionic.

Short, we did the pre-made adventure in Heroes Unlimited and I nearly blew up a bomb with pyrokinesis.

It seemed more fun then the D&D game I had played but I had a premade wizard there and didn't really know how the system worked.

At first availability, but then it became how much I liked the world.

Just how scary the Particle Beam rifle could be.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

SmilingJack wrote:1. what was your first palladium character

A TMNT mutant Gorilla named Bubba. He wore bibbed overalls, drove a crotch-rocket and toted around a .50 caliber machine gun that he fired from the hip.

I'm pretty sure it was the Terror on Rural Route 5 adventure. We used the setting of our local HS so we were very familiar with the layout. I remember the opening scene dialogue. The GM (our uncle) painted the picture of a rowdy frat house full of mutant miscreants. We were all sitting around watching TV when there was a knock at the door. It was the cops! Luckily before we could make any combat oriented decisions the Detective introduced himself and explained what he wanted. We didn't so much volunteer for the job as we were "voluntold". I still chuckle at the memory of squashing a mutant pig terrorist behind the automatic bleachers.

The mutant animals. I've always been a fan of animals in general but to find out i could basically be a Were-anything. i was immediately sold on the idea.

It was the first and really ONLY system I ever learned to play. I tried D&D once in Hs, but couldn't get the hang of it. I also vaguely remember trying to play the StarWars RPG but can't remember anything other than having a wookie that changed colors like a snowshoe hare. Plus it was just SO dang fun. I never ran into any of the rule problems others say are some common in the game. I really think those people are just trying to over complicate things

The look on my uncles face when I did this...

In a TMNT/HU1r campaign our merry band of Mutant Animals and Aliens had been contracted/conscripted by the government to be their go to problem solvers. In some random spot or another we ran into what appeared to be a pirate ship full of vampires. Luckily the vampire creatures were susceptible to our energy weapons (we'd just problem solved something on another planet). The action conversation went like this:

ME (Percivil: a mutant kangaroo): I roll to strike the vampire with my laser sword

GM: The vampire dodges by turning into mist. You hear a faint sizzle as your sword hisses through the cloud where he used to be.

ME: Is the cloud still there? Has he resolidified yet?

GM: The cloud is still there. He hasn't reformed, but you can tell the mist is condensing and getting thicker.

ME: I stick my face in the cloud and go (makes exaggerated drawn out sucking noise by inhaling through pursed lips) and then hold it in!
(There is a period of shocked silence as the GM just sort of stares at me with his jaw hanging open and this "i can't believe you just did that" look on his face.)
GM: Holy Sh!^ dude! (He then laughed until he had tears in his eyes.) Okay man, your lungs are starting to burn and it feels like something is trying to claw it's way out of your chest.

ME: Ok I'm gonna spit/blow it all out.

GM: You manage to spit out all of the vampire you inhaled plus cough up a couple mouthfuls of blood and what might be some lung tissue. The vampire reforms in front of you with a wide eyed look of terror on it's face. It screams in horror, turns from you and runs toward the opposite side of the deck. As it goes to leap over the edge you hear BUZZZFFFFFFZZZZT and it vaporizes into a cloud of red mist. Looking to your side you see Puff (an "alien" dragon) holding a smoking plasma ejector.

Percivil was the first character I made after purchasing my own set of books and to this day is one of my favorites. Surprisingly he's still alive after 25 years (meaning he never died in play and his sheet wasn't destroyed. sadly he doesn't have 25 years of play or XP behind him).
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

SmilingJack wrote:we all remember our first experience playing a Palladium game

many of those memories Shaped how we play today, and Are often fondly remembered

so what are your earliest memories?

here are some questions to help stimulate Your memories

Seriously cant remember (probably TMNT)

Walk along - scarecrow - walk along - manticore - walk along chasm with poles to jump across (think Bok Pai) - door; open it - treasure. That is a 100% accurate PFRPG first game we played. I can even remember the map (that obviously wasnt needed).

Simple, easy. I was instantly attracted to the religions section and the spells list and the variety of other games they did.

The PFRPG adventures were freaking awesome! The megavarse of being able to change game. PFRPG had multiple OCCs which is hands down why that turned into our main game.

All the memories of playing Island at the edge of the world! And being published in the Rifter. And the eulsive POHs! Also, when I was young I caught my brother writing some stuff down for TMNT for his game with his friends and and I remember taking the **** out of him for writing for fun! and nowadays....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Bot RCC from Sourcebook 1 for Rifts

Chaotic in a good way

The fact Rifts seemed to have everything in one place. Bots, Mages, Psychics, Mutants, Demons, Vampires etc

That's what the guys that got me hooked played so I stuck with it.....that and Robotech really.

All the fun had with friends.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
T-Willard
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: A soldier is more than his equipment.

Unread post by T-Willard »

I got my book kind of special. We saw an ad for Rifts in something, I don't really remember if it was in Dragon magazine or in the back of one of the new books for the Palladium RPG, but we didn't exactly have access to a gaming store. (Right here is why you'll see I have a lot of brand loyalty :P ) Since the "order from" bit was for Palladium books we (meaning my friends made me) wrote to Palladium, told them the situation, and sent a money order for the Core Book. Palladium sent us the Core Books we wanted, along with some other little things, and a personal note scrawled on a piece of paper that said "Thanks for playing! ~Kevin~" which meant a lot to all of us.

1. what was your first palladium character CS Rogue Scientist mod

2. what was your first adventure like Heading to NORAD to find out what happened to it.

3. what do you remember liking about Palladium immediately BIG FRIGGIN' ROBOTS!

4. what made you continue playing palladium games I like the MD system, the world (It's liked an amped up Gamma World), and some of the s tuff.

5. what memory do you still carry with you today The First Mechaniod War
"The Tolkeen War was a disaster. Yes, we achieved victory, but we exposed grievous errors in our training doctrine and unit METL's. We must seek to address these issues, we must rethink what we know or this nation will perish from the Earth. Should we not learn from the hard lessons of the Tolkeen War, our bones shall be ground to dust."-Ross Underhill
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

My first character was a headhunter, and while I don't remember the first campaign I played in, I do remember by brother's GMPC was a Stage one Promethean who had Rifted to Earth in a spaceship. What I remember liking about Palladium (Rifts actually) was the seamless blending of high levels of magic and technology into one setting (well, perhaps not exactly seamless, but certainly better than other setting that I had ever read about). That is the main reason I keep looking for a group willing to play Rifts with (I am currently in a pbp on Google+). The memory that I still carry with me actually happened while I was GM'ing a game for some friends up in Georgia a few years ago and they came across a Thornhead Demon and one of my players just out of the blue shouted "KKKIIIIIIDDDD VVEEENNISSOONN!!!"
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Weekend long gamaing sessions and crazy stuff like Juicers riding on top of SAMAS...and that was the tame sessions.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Return to “Rifts®”