Other attributes...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Other attributes...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

PERC ( Perception): is not just the character's ability to pick out minute details. It is also represents the character's sense of danger, and insight. The Attribute Bonus Chart gives a bonus to the character's Danger Sense.

LUCK: is the character's ability to miraculously escape bad situations, always get the best breaks in life, and generally stay out of trouble. The higher the LUCK score the luckier the character. To make a successful LUCK roll the character must roll under his/her LUCK on a d30. If the roll was successful the character escapes the situation, or has success at the attempted feat, otherwise s/he has failed. An optional rule that also applies to luck is that if the roll is failed, the amount failed by is taken from the characters luck score. Luck taken in this fashion can only be restored by further successful luck rolls. Regardless luck may never be increased beyond the original luck score unless through some magical means. The Attribute Bonus Chart does not give a bonus for LUCK.

REF (Reflex): Is the ability to respond to spontaneous situations quickly. The higher the REF score the faster the response of the character. The Attribute Bonus Chart gives a bonus to the character's Initiative. Reflex is the only stat not determined by a direct dice roll. It is a combination of three stats added together and averaged. The stats used to determine reflex are P.P., SPD. and PER (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for P.P, a 13 for SPD, and a 15 for PER. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 to get the average score of 14 making his REF stat 14.)

PERS. (Persuade): Exactly what it sounds like. The stats used to determine reflex are MA, IQ, and PB (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for MA, a 13 for IQ, and a 15 for PB. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 and round down to get the average score of 14 making his PERS. stat 14.) It uses the same percentage table as MA.

GK (General knowledge): What it sounds like. Roll 3d6, use the MA chart. Skills that are simple general knowledge things such as fishing and cooking default to this if character doesn't have the skills. Or in determining if they know or might have heard something.

REC: (Recall): Is the ability to recall stuff when player can't. The stats used to determine reflex are GK, IQ, and PREC (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for GK, a 13 for IQ, and a 15 for PREC. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 and round down to get the average score of 14 making his REC. stat 14.) It uses the same percentage table as MA.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Other attributes...

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

MA and PB are two different ways of Persuasion. One is social manipulation, one is more physical and suggestive. You an combo them, but it's two separate rolls the way they have it now, which i think is fine.

Initiative bonuses are granted to people with exceptional PP (30+).

I like the idea of dumping most domestic and some minor wilderness skills into a base catagory.

I think that recalling something you as a player didn't write down, it's up to your GM. I don't like making it a roll.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I am not big on the whole idea of added attributes to cover a lack of being able to use the existing ones properly.

pblackcrow wrote:PERC ( Perception): is not just the character's ability to pick out minute details. It is also represents the character's sense of danger, and insight. The Attribute Bonus Chart gives a bonus to the character's Danger Sense.
Already covered as based on IQ.

pblackcrow wrote:LUCK: is the character's ability to miraculously escape bad situations, always get the best breaks in life, and generally stay out of trouble. The higher the LUCK score the luckier the character. To make a successful LUCK roll the character must roll under his/her LUCK on a d30. If the roll was successful the character escapes the situation, or has success at the attempted feat, otherwise s/he has failed. An optional rule that also applies to luck is that if the roll is failed, the amount failed by is taken from the characters luck score. Luck taken in this fashion can only be restored by further successful luck rolls. Regardless luck may never be increased beyond the original luck score unless through some magical means. The Attribute Bonus Chart does not give a bonus for LUCK.
What is a d30? apparently you have new dice noone else has as well. Regardless, I would not use this.

pblackcrow wrote:REF (Reflex): Is the ability to respond to spontaneous situations quickly. The higher the REF score the faster the response of the character. The Attribute Bonus Chart gives a bonus to the character's Initiative. Reflex is the only stat not determined by a direct dice roll. It is a combination of three stats added together and averaged. The stats used to determine reflex are P.P., SPD. and PER (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for P.P, a 13 for SPD, and a 15 for PER. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 to get the average score of 14 making his REF stat 14.)
Reflexes already play into your PP roll.

pblackcrow wrote:PERS. (Persuade): Exactly what it sounds like. The stats used to determine reflex are MA, IQ, and PB (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for MA, a 13 for IQ, and a 15 for PB. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 and round down to get the average score of 14 making his PERS. stat 14.) It uses the same percentage table as MA.
Already covered under Trust/intimidate and charm/impress rolls.

pblackcrow wrote:GK (General knowledge): What it sounds like. Roll 3d6, use the MA chart. Skills that are simple general knowledge things such as fishing and cooking default to this if character doesn't have the skills. Or in determining if they know or might have heard something.
I just generally have the character roll a % under what his IQ is for skills he does not have.

pblackcrow wrote:REC: (Recall): Is the ability to recall stuff when player can't. The stats used to determine reflex are GK, IQ, and PREC (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for GK, a 13 for IQ, and a 15 for PREC. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 and round down to get the average score of 14 making his REC. stat 14.) It uses the same percentage table as MA.
This seems nonsensical. If a player cannot recall the details of the game, then that is their fault and not something the GM should be expected to fix.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

a d30 is an "Old school" dungeons and dragons gaming dice availible at most hobby shops. also extremely heavy and durable and oddly enough a good ranged weapon. lol
pblackcrow
Champion

What is a d30? apparently you have new dice noone else has as well. Regardless, I would not use this.

Where do you go to buy dice, Mate?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

you can go to the Warstore.com or any number of websites including amazon.com for awesome deals on dice, as well as most local gaming shops that sell more than a certain tabletop that has fantasy and a sci fi game should have what you need
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I have a few d30's and they huurt. Solid things but hard to pick out the number sometimes.

I also use perception, willpower and luck.
Per(ception): Use this stat for ranged combat bonuses instead of PP. I don't agree with perception being IQ based as i know some really intelligent people but they wouldn't notice a zombie in the room until it started feeding on them, and if they were deep in work maybe not even then.
Wolfen - Elves - Danzi - Kankoran - Coyles have 4d6 Per
Humans Orcs - Goblins - Ogres - Trolls have 3d6 Per
Dwarves - Trogs - Bearmen have 2d6 Per

Luck - Same sort of thing but with a d20 for checks, with the option for a character to burn luck points to get re-rolls. High luck points help avoid nasty random encounters and low luck encourages them. Attempting to do stupid things and pulling them off restores luck points, as does going up levels.
Most races have 3d6 except gnomes (4d6) and faeries can have even higher.

Wil(lpower): I always thought it strange that the ability to throw off someone trying charm you or put you to sleep was based off how far you can run and how many eggs you had for breakfast.
This stat governs your save vs spells (same as pp bonus chart) and your innate bonus to Spell Strength (Halved rounded down pp chart). Think of it as Mental Strength to match Physical Strength. (Half your IQ is the maximium spell level you can learn)

Just out of curiosity does the reflexes stat go up when you get bonuses to those stats with athletics, running etc
(Char's in my games get + to init from PP and the weapon proficiency plus to strike).
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

pblackcrow wrote:PERC ( Perception): is not just the character's ability to pick out minute details. It is also represents the character's sense of danger, and insight. The Attribute Bonus Chart gives a bonus to the character's Danger Sense.

LUCK: is the character's ability to miraculously escape bad situations, always get the best breaks in life, and generally stay out of trouble. The higher the LUCK score the luckier the character. To make a successful LUCK roll the character must roll under his/her LUCK on a d30. If the roll was successful the character escapes the situation, or has success at the attempted feat, otherwise s/he has failed. An optional rule that also applies to luck is that if the roll is failed, the amount failed by is taken from the characters luck score. Luck taken in this fashion can only be restored by further successful luck rolls. Regardless luck may never be increased beyond the original luck score unless through some magical means. The Attribute Bonus Chart does not give a bonus for LUCK.

REF (Reflex): Is the ability to respond to spontaneous situations quickly. The higher the REF score the faster the response of the character. The Attribute Bonus Chart gives a bonus to the character's Initiative. Reflex is the only stat not determined by a direct dice roll. It is a combination of three stats added together and averaged. The stats used to determine reflex are P.P., SPD. and PER (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for P.P, a 13 for SPD, and a 15 for PER. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 to get the average score of 14 making his REF stat 14.)

PERS. (Persuade): Exactly what it sounds like. The stats used to determine reflex are MA, IQ, and PB (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for MA, a 13 for IQ, and a 15 for PB. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 and round down to get the average score of 14 making his PERS. stat 14.) It uses the same percentage table as MA.

GK (General knowledge): What it sounds like. Roll 3d6, use the MA chart. Skills that are simple general knowledge things such as fishing and cooking default to this if character doesn't have the skills. Or in determining if they know or might have heard something.

REC: (Recall): Is the ability to recall stuff when player can't. The stats used to determine reflex are GK, IQ, and PREC (EG. The Player rolls a 14 for GK, a 13 for IQ, and a 15 for PREC. He adds these up to get a total of 42 and then divides by 3 and round down to get the average score of 14 making his REC. stat 14.) It uses the same percentage table as MA.

Over complicated IMHO.

Recall = IQ. Lots (not all) of academia is down to recall ability.
GK = IQ
Persuade = MA (trust)
Reflex = Prowess
Luck = Isnt an attribute and comes in the form of dice roles (unless magically charmed).

K.I.S.S.I.E.

edit: post seems a bit blunt. Not meant to be, sorry.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Arthemus
Wanderer

Unread post by Arthemus »

Definitely not my cup of tea, but hey man, if your game needs more numbers, go for it. We play pretty much stock Palladium, no house rules or anything. If I were to implement house rules, it'd be less numbers, not more.

One of the things that bothers me about other RPGs are all the stats/skill rolls that I think downplay the role-playing. A persuade check is opposed by a sense motive? Fun RP elements reduced to a dice roll? BORING. You want to persuade that guard to let you in the door? Role-play it. What does your character say?
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Arthemus wrote:One of the things that bothers me about other RPGs are all the stats/skill rolls that I think downplay the role-playing. A persuade check is opposed by a sense motive? Fun RP elements reduced to a dice roll? BORING. You want to persuade that guard to let you in the door? Role-play it. What does your character say?

And that is a perfectly fine way of doing it, as long as you are able to represent what your character is capable of, but that's not always the case, which is where it's important to have a system that works as back up. I have had players who need real time to think up their responses and are not quick on their feet who have MA's of 20+ and high IQs trying to talk their way past a guard. What then? Anyone else at the table would do a better job of real-life talking it through, but this person's character should be the best at it. Should that player get penalized for having rolled high in stats he can't represent? Should other, better talkers be able to express themselves in ways beyond what their characters are capable of?

And the answere is not to only play characters which match up with what you are capable of doing, which I have heard argued for in the past by people who generally have a good grasp of the fluff/background of the game and are good talkers, that takes away half the fun of roleplaying, that being that your character is NOT you, and is more and sometimes less capable than you are.

Now, the Palladium way of dealing with this is to just 'keep it in mind'. A player who is not a smooth talker does his best to talk his way into something, the GM decided whether he did a good job or not for what he is capable of and, keeping in mind the characters Attributes, decides whether or not the attempt passes or fails. Alternatively, the GM listens to a good talking player make a smooth argument for something, takes into consideration their, let's say, MA of 6, and decides it fails. This works fine, and can be hilarious, but it can also really bother people who feel that they did a better job than someone else but got railroaded by the GM, which is what happened.

Most other games have a system where, if a player is not comfortable trying to persuade someone, they have a system to rely on. A smooth talker can talk smooth and in their 'role', and a more shy person (whose social stats may very well be higher) can announce they are making a roll and 'play' the system. Works perfectly.

As for other attributes, although I never used it I once thought up a system where all the attributes were further divided into two halves, and by memory they were...

-EDIT- Remembered most of them

IQ-Knowledge/Problem Solving
ME-Force of Will/Mental Stamina
MA-Charming/Intimidating
PS-Strength/Power
PP-Coordination/Reflex
PE-Endurance/Strength Endurance
PB-maybe looks/presentation? not sure
SPD-Accleration/Top Speed

Clearly i don't have the memory of them all, but it was a very well thought out idea at the time, and the people I approached with it felt it would work perfectly. The reason I never used it, however, was that the game really didn't NEED that level of sophistication. More than anything, there wasn't really a point in introducing that level of complication into what really is an extremely simple system like Palladiums. Do you really need to know the the breakdown of whether your character is more Strength or Power oriented? Isn't it enough to just know he's 'strong' and go from there?
Arthemus
Wanderer

Unread post by Arthemus »

I understand that the character is not you. But a player can role-play what his PC is going to say and the GM will "Keep it in mind" in regards to the MA stat and adjust the NPCs reaction accordingly. If John is playing Gildehart the Dashing and John just isn't very dashing, I think we can all use our imaginations to bring Gildehart's persuasion up to snuff. It brings out the story and character far better than "I try to persuade the guard. *roll* I got a 25 with my modifier." This is no fun at all. Not everything needs a system.

Of course, these are our opinions and our own play style. I've seen people profess on this forums that "tavern food/rope/lantern oil should never cost gold!" One, who is to say that on the Palladium world, tavern food shouldn't cost gold? You're importing economic concepts *from another game*. Two, the alternative is tracking silver? Doesn't sound like my idea of fun. I don't even track different money from countries, etc. Too cumbersome. A gold piece is a gold piece. My preference is for less numbers.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

say652 wrote:a d30 is an "Old school" dungeons and dragons gaming dice availible at most hobby shops. also extremely heavy and durable and oddly enough a good ranged weapon. lol
I honestly never looked at the dice more than to buy a set which includes a d4, a d6, a d8, two d10s, a d12, and a d20. I knew about d100s because a DM I had in D&D had one. Since a d30 is beyond what most people have, it is still not something I would base an attribute roll on for a game which otherwise does not use d30s.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

the d30 was extremely useful for munchkin pc's with attributes over 20 to roll attribute checks, when things got riduculous like attribute ratings over 30 i made them roll % dice for checks. in second edition the wish spell was an aggravating spell for a dm to counter.
pblackcrow
Champion

I do dislike the way that the prices are set up. Sorry guys. My group actually prefer to use the prices and equipment in The Great Net Equipment List.

Most if not all of the people I have ever gamed with have had a d30. Sorry stone. But it's irrelevant.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”