DiCaprio Passed On 'STAR WARS: EPISODE VII' For 'ROBOTECH'?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sgt Anjay
Hero

DiCaprio Passed On 'STAR WARS: EPISODE VII' For 'ROBOTECH'?

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: DiCaprio Passed On 'STAR WARS: EPISODE VII' For 'ROBOTECH'?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Huh... if true, that's probably not the smartest thing DiCaprio could've done with all available evidence pointing to the live-action Robotech movie being dead in the water or, at best, destined for direct-to-video.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ArmySGT. »

I don't picture Leonard DiCaprio as Rick Hunter.......... More probably Roy Fokker.........

He is probably a fan, and I doesn't really have to give a damn if it pays well.
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

I see him more as Kyle, based on personality.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Seto Kaiba wrote:Huh... if true, that's probably not the smartest thing DiCaprio could've done with all available evidence pointing to the live-action Robotech movie being dead in the water or, at best, destined for direct-to-video.

Not sure I see how this as "not the smartest thing he could've done".

Between his already existing fortune and opportunities, either it gets made and he hopefully enjoys doing it, or it doesn't and he... keeps making millions of dollars doing movies.

It's not like he's going to get black listed over this somehow.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Forar wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Huh... if true, that's probably not the smartest thing DiCaprio could've done with all available evidence pointing to the live-action Robotech movie being dead in the water or, at best, destined for direct-to-video.

Not sure I see how this as "not the smartest thing he could've done".

Between his already existing fortune and opportunities, either it gets made and he hopefully enjoys doing it, or it doesn't and he... keeps making millions of dollars doing movies.

It's not like he's going to get black listed over this somehow.

Indeed....Michael Caine, aside from a few easily ignored questions, did not suffer much from his much-panned and inanely-shot appearance in 'Jaws: The Revenge'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Forar wrote:Not sure I see how this as "not the smartest thing he could've done".

Putting aside the fact that appearing in a major role in a Star Wars movie, even a bad one, is a license to collect royalty checks until the heat death of the universe...

He passed on a high-profile movie that is definitely going to be made and would only increase his stock in favor of a very low-profile proposed movie that is almost certainly not going to be made. If he'd passed on Star Wars for some other movie that's actually going to be shot at some point, it'd at least make sense... but this is passing on a slam dunk in the name of not working at all, which isn't terribly sensible.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Perhaps, shockingly, not everyone decides career paths based heavily on what is most likely to add to the Scrooge McDuck sized money pool already forming in the basement.

If this was some D list celeb waffling between "maybe I get to make this movie based on an old cartoon" and "$Pandora", it'd be one thing, but a cursory glance shows his estimated wealth in the mid-eight figures range.

Also, considering the range of his recent projects, maybe the idea of possibly being locked in for a trilogy in the next 5 years wasn't appealing.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Forar wrote:Also, considering the range of his recent projects, maybe the idea of possibly being locked in for a trilogy in the next 5 years wasn't appealing.

This.

Plus, it might not even be true.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:Plus, it might not even be true.

There is that possibility, yeah... I remember a while back, when the Robotech.com people were making a big fuss because a director had reportedly said he didn't want to do Robotech... turned out to be fabricated news, and the director they'd mentioned had actually just said he didn't want to do robot movies.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

He's not so old he couldn't be Fokker, but he lack's the stature (though i realize they can fiddle with that in the movies). He's far too old to play Hunter, though.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

not the smartest thing he could've done
but he has the mobey to do it IMHO
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

As I suggested in the other thread, he might be a bit too young to play Gloval (though makeup could adjust this accordingly), but it's not impossible either.

Actually, on closer inspection, a cursory Google'ing indicates Gloval was 46, DiCaprio is currently 38. Especially since it'll probably be a few years in development/effects work/etc anyway.
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ArmySGT. »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Forar wrote:Not sure I see how this as "not the smartest thing he could've done".

Putting aside the fact that appearing in a major role in a Star Wars movie, even a bad one, is a license to collect royalty checks until the heat death of the universe...

He passed on a high-profile movie that is definitely going to be made and would only increase his stock in favor of a very low-profile proposed movie that is almost certainly not going to be made. If he'd passed on Star Wars for some other movie that's actually going to be shot at some point, it'd at least make sense... but this is passing on a slam dunk in the name of not working at all, which isn't terribly sensible.

Because he doesn't have enough money yet? Maybe the royalty checks from Titanic, through to Inception are dead?

I don't think money is one of Leo's problems.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Forbes has his estimated pay for this year at nearly $40 million, and an estimated overall wealth in excess of $200 million.

I think he'll be fine.

:-P
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Gryphon wrote:Admittedly, Leo is like, the one of the last actors in Hollywood to be overly concerned about a paycheck really, but that never seems to mean they opt to be under-payed for a given role, now does it?

Its rare but sometimes a major actor will want a role so much they will take less then their normal pay, sometimes even scale.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Gryphon wrote:While I would like some big names to be involved, I hope they keep it to a minimum, assuming it even happens. It sucks a lot of money out of the budget to lead with three big names, and if the movie is panned for whatever reason, it tends to be the death of the concept thereafter.

True, but this only applies to a Bizarro-world where the RT LAM is actually being made...

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, in regards to turning down Star Wars, once you are touched by that franchise, it seem to ever dominate your destiny like the Dark Side of the Force. So maybe Leo just doesn't want his career to end up summed up in the phase "He played Obi Wan Kenobi." like it was for Alec Guinness.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

Plus.. there won't be a more scrutinized and 'fan-stalked' series of films EVER in the history of film past or future. Considering the let-down and disappointment and honestly... IRE that the prequels generated because they missed the mark, he may not have wanted to take the chance to be burned by a misfire. He has made a few clunkers in his career and even his most commercialy-famous role is now more famous for parodies of the role rather than the role itself. Based on that... if the story is true I wouldn't be surprised if many A-listers steer clear till the trilogy has a more defined shape.

Plus... getting involved in unknown 'indy' projects isn't the pariah it once was in Hollywood.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Jefffar wrote:Well, in regards to turning down Star Wars, once you are touched by that franchise, it seem to ever dominate your destiny like the Dark Side of the Force. So maybe Leo just doesn't want his career to end up summed up in the phase "He played Obi Wan Kenobi." like it was for Alec Guinness.

Hey, those Taken moves were sweet thou... Quigon Jinn saving his wife and daughter and stuff... classic starwars there.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Hrmm....DiCaprio could certainly play Fokker, though he could also be a Max Sterling I suppose. Of course, he could also be Khyron and use a James Mason-inspired voice like Greg Snegoff. :P
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I'd love to see Tom Hardy play Khyron.
A good bad guy makes a movie.

Gary Oldman would make a great Captain Gloval.

Chris Hemsworth would definitely be the best Roy Fokker. Killing him off early would shock the folks who don't know his fate...thinking he's gonna be around for a while and all.

DeCaprio eh...not a big fan.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: DiCaprio Passed On 'STAR WARS: EPISODE VII' For 'ROBOTEC

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I'd love to see Tom Hardy play Khyron.
A good bad guy makes a movie.

Gary Oldman would make a great Captain Gloval.

Chris Hemsworth would definitely be the best Roy Fokker. Killing him off early would shock the folks who don't know his fate...thinking he's gonna be around for a while and all.

DeCaprio eh...not a big fan.

Would be interesting.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Like him or not, having a 'big name' attached to the project probably wouldn't hurt at the box office.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those snobs who won't see something if there aren't at least eight A-List stars in cameos and background roles, but let's face it, if they're going to sink tens of millions of dollars into special effects, they're going to want to recoup some of those costs, and a name like DiCaprio probably wouldn't hurt on that end.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-yawn-
Speculation hearsay and rumour mixed with some fact?
Must be the internet.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

There are facts present?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Gryphon wrote:*snip* we would need a significantly younger (and shorter) actor to play Rick Hunter there...maybe...JUSTIN BIEBER!!! (All right, I kid, I kid!!!)

Dont even joke about that.

If that happens... :x
You will be to blame, and there must be.... reparations!

I accept baked good as well as monetary compensation
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Gryphon wrote:Riiggghhhhttttt....moving to Siberia then...

Seriously though, We have to be prepared for a Rick Hunter who isn't a 17 year old punk aerobatic pilot. Modern pilots typically come in around 21-23 or so when they enter service, what with many services requiring them to be basically trained, flight schooled, combat schooled, and many tome officers with technical degree proficiencies! I would prefer a 22-24 year old Rick, and a 33-35 year old Roy, possibly even older really.

Heh...even better, David Tennant (ala 10th Doctor Who) as Max!

Who would you have play Miriya?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Alpha 11 wrote:Who would you have play Miriya?

Olivia Wilde.

EDIT: Started a new thread on casting the film.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”