Is this RIFTS review accurate and fair?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Is this review any good?

Yes its brilliant
58%
No its awful
8%
I was sick into my underpants!
17%
Never do this again
17%

Total votes: 12

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Is this RIFTS review accurate and fair?

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

OK so I doubt we really needed a RIFTS review given its age and all BUT I do want to encourage new gamers to get into RPG's.

I chose RIFTS because it is still one of my favorites.

http://www.ding-irl.com/RIFTS-Main-Book-Review.html

Let me know what you think guys :)
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Is this RIFTS review accurate and fair?

Cheers amigo, yeah you are right I used the term Hitpoint so people could understand it a little better. Hmm will clear that up now.

With the rules being all over the place, I agree with you on character creation BUT how do you get PPE or cast spells? How do you shoot down missiles? etc. but to be fair I know I couldn't have done it any better lol. It's not a criticism as such, I hope it comes across that this is one of my fave games of all time but when writing a review you have to pick a flaw or two :P

Also I will be reviewing Ultimate Edition in the next couple of weeks. I did the main book just because I know it and love it. You can still get hold of it on DrivethruRPG or Ebay! As a side note I LOVE ULTIMATE EDITION :D (well most of it lol).

As far as new players taking an age to make a character, I reckon you and your friends are a lot faster than mine! I have a very slow ponderous friend who agonizes over every single thing he selects and our game sessions are usually only 4 hours.... by the time this guy has killed 2-3hours making his character the session is over :P

Fair point about that 2nd paragraph towards the end! Consider it gone :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review and comment on it. I have taken your advice and will apply it right now!

P.S. after I make your changes perhaps you could give me a positive vote ;)
Last edited by Baron mugwort on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Actually, if someone's commentary on trying to use the book (possibly RUE as well as the original main Rifts book) strictly according to the text to create a character is correct, trying to make a character can take inordinately long if you don't have someone to guide you through the process, due to some inconsistencies in the writing. And the ratio is 100 SDC to an MDC for inanimate objects and 100 SDC or HP to an MDC for animate beings. Of course other rpgs have their own character creation issues. Other rpgs like DND have plenty of out-of-the-box characters too now, thanks to template races. Rifts is a wonderful mashup of scifi, magic and psionics if you don't look beneath the facade too much. Also the main book picture is quite good looking, although the original grab bag of art in the centre of the original main book left a little to be desired with some of the pics e.g. generic druid lady..

It was an interesting review, but I don't want to either kiss ass or insult you with the options you put on the poll :) 7 out of 10 sounds good, partly because of your enthusiasm.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

I see what you are saying J.L. I have to offer my apologies as I am very new to this kind of thing.

Still you are very right in what you say and thanks for the confidence boost.

Thank you for your comments :D they are indeed wise :)

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I give it a 8 on 10. And as J L has said never ever change your review because it bothers those who read it. Change it if you made a mistake. That's it. Keep up the good work.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks for the support guys :D also thank so much for taking the time to read my review.

I will be reviewing Ultimate Edition in the next week or so.

Take it easy :D

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Will be posting my Ultimate Edition review this Wednesday :)

Return to “Rifts®”