Which World Book/Area should I use for my newest campaign?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ashendale
D-Bee
Comment: And then the Catseye Dragon Hatchling and the Mastodonoid started gogo dancing...

Which World Book/Area should I use for my newest campaign?

Unread post by Ashendale »

Husband ran in the room to tell me that everyone in the house was in agreement that I should be the current DM. While flattering (they apparently really enjoyed my last campaign), we have a 6 week old Daughter who takes up most of my time, so instead of browsing through all my books (and I own ALL of them) until inspiration strikes, I'm asking for suggestions! I am also open to any good Hook/Line/Sinker plots that anyone's utilised successfully (or even unsuccessfully!)

A little background;
*Last campaign was heavy-magic/heavy-role play with some intense combat interspersed between
*Last campaign took place in Rifts Canada with lots of D-Bee influence
*I can run a campaign with mismatched OCCs and RCCs
*I'm awful at using Palladium's lovely, pre-generated villains, I prefer to make my own based on PC background
*My PCs almost always end up being against the Coalition (this is partially influenced by my predisposition towards the CS, but I am NOT opposed to running a pro-CS campaign!)
*I like grey-area plots
*My DM style is very open to suggestion and on-the-fly (though my last campaign I put 6 months worth of work/planning into, we deviated often)
*My players are easily distracted (this is often disastrous to them in-game) by side quests and subplots
*I honestly prefer role play to combat, but pull in combat when needed or if the PCs seem to want it
House Rule #1: DM never buys the pizza.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Which World Book/Area should I use for my newest campaig

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Two setting ideas I have always wanted to explore are....

1.) Phase world exploration and adventure.

2.) Atlantis resistance group/Slave freedom fighters.

I've always wanted to play those concept story lines but have not ever had the chance. My GM tends to keep us in North America with a one time visit to England.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The Southern Federation from SA2 is nice and open for development. You're welcome to borrow from my Yucatan Series too.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Go to Russia and play the warlord camps against each other with the player characters caught in between. Throw in a unseen demonic influence that is the real villain.

Plenty of wilderness and you could design your own warlord camp cities. The player character could play any O.C.C. looking for merc work or trying to help the innocents in the middle of the warlord battles. All the while they keep getting clues of Demons manipulating the war efforts to their own ends.

Ready. SET. GO!
Ashendale
D-Bee
Comment: And then the Catseye Dragon Hatchling and the Mastodonoid started gogo dancing...

Unread post by Ashendale »

Great suggestions guys! Thanks so much, I'll check em out!
House Rule #1: DM never buys the pizza.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I'd second the Russian Campaign ... I've been dying to run what but I can't get the right group together for it.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Rifts Space never gets much love. Mutant animals vs Arkons. That would be fun.

Or Underseas, another cool campaign which doesnt get much love.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Rifts Space is great but I would play it out that the characters meet before the invasion. They fight against the CAN Republic for the first couple of levels then they have to rely on a Nasty CAN Officer NPC for help once the Arkons invade. (for the survival of the orbital community)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I recommend Phaseworld as the setting for perhaps and intergalactic Bounty Hunting group.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

I always like Underseas... there are so many angles. A New Navy campaign, Lemuria, even a "brown river" campaign against the CS navy along the Mississippi!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Madhaven, duh! :)

I ran a Russia campaign that is set to resume play soon. It is a fun and dangerous setting.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

Russia is undeniably well put together, but my favorite has always been the West triumvirate. New West, Spirit West, and Lone Star combine to make one of the most enjoyable settings around with hundreds of movies, television episodes, and books to draw inspiration from. After the West I'd say Russia. And after that Japan. Let us know what you pick, I am sure we are all curious.

Return to “Rifts®”