Worst possible character.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Worst possible character.

Unread post by VIsgar »

Hello,

My brother always says I make creatures or OCCs that are to powerful. So this time I want to make the worst thing I (or you) can find. So here is a brief description of what I am looking for.

1. No PSI

2. No Magic

3. No cybernetics nor bionics

4. No supers

5. power armor and robots are out of the question

6.Must be sdc without super natural stats

7. OCC abilities might be to strong (who knows I could exploit eyeball a fella in his opinion.)

He will be playing with a shadow warlock (magic vampire mask) whom is about to turn into a greater demonic mortal, a galactic tracer (magic bear mask), ultucan dragon hatchling, and mega juicer.

So this guys chances of survival is slim to none but I'll try my damnedest.

So far I've been thinking an Ores City rat or (lesser race) russian vilager.

Thanks a lot for any advise you all give.
flatline
Knight

Re: Worst possible character.

Unread post by flatline »

Cyberdoc or Body Fixer might be candidates.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Saloon girl
novatomato
Wanderer

Unread post by novatomato »

Preacher Man from the New West, the non-Fire and Brimstone kind, is a possibility.

Merc soldier who was a juicer but underwent detox after 4 or 5 years (tons of penalties to stats and skill use)

or if you are not limited to Rifts settings occ's you could go with say the Fletcher O.C.C in PF's . . . . I forget which book, one of the Northern setting ones, there are also some entertainer OCC's in Adventure on the High Seas that might be good candidates.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

novatomato wrote:Preacher Man from the New West, the non-Fire and Brimstone kind, is a possibility.

Merc soldier who was a juicer but underwent detox after 4 or 5 years (tons of penalties to stats and skill use)

or if you are not limited to Rifts settings occ's you could go with say the Fletcher O.C.C in PF's . . . . I forget which book, one of the Northern setting ones, there are also some entertainer OCC's in Adventure on the High Seas that might be good candidates.

One of my first PF characters was a Prestidigitator. He rocked! Of course, what's good in fantasy isn't necessarily good in Rifts.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
VIsgar
Explorer

Unread post by VIsgar »

Thanks for all the quick replies.

The cyberdoc or body fixer is pretty specialized and my bro hates it when I want to earn money using my skills/abilities instead of just getting a mission reward.

I can't role-play as a female since some other players (30+ years old) couldn't handle that via immaturity (might try unwanted sexual advances or something of that nature). So saloon girl is out.

I like that idea of the preacher but my friend plays a Palladium dark priest of modeus. So I don't want to steal his thunder going that route.

Here are some things that make a worst archtype. imho

lacking amount of skills and restricted selection

No psi, magic, supers, natural abilities, md, supernatural stats or bionics/cybernetics

I also need a race. I been thinking about Ores, humans, and Troglodytes

I'm unsure about coming from Palladium or Rifts Earth atm.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Ratling Merchant (Black Market)

Almost useless, especially in a high-power group like the one you've described. The only things going for it; HF 11, nightvision 40ft, able to navigate blind with their whiskers (half penalties). To offset that, they can only see 90ft in normal light conditions. The Black Market special abilities, fence and friends in low places, grant the character a small bonus to some non-combative skills and a few minor contacts; they also get a small discount on black market purchases.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Pygmy Hunter page 114 in Rifts Africa. He won't even start off with any MDC or magical equipment if you roll over 40%.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

VIsgar wrote:Thanks for all the quick replies.

The cyberdoc or body fixer is pretty specialized and my bro hates it when I want to earn money using my skills/abilities instead of just getting a mission reward.

I can't role-play as a female since some other players (30+ years old) couldn't handle that via immaturity (might try unwanted sexual advances or something of that nature). So saloon girl is out.

I like that idea of the preacher but my friend plays a Palladium dark priest of modeus. So I don't want to steal his thunder going that route.

No psi, magic, supers, natural abilities, md, supernatural stats or bionics/cybernetics

If the Saloon Girl is out, try the Saloon Bum that precedes it.

This might require some digging, but a few ideas come to mind:
1. Play as a Young Adult/Child (or elderly) of a given Race. That should put some penalties and restrictions, IINM such penalties are in Palladium Fantasy 2E Main RPG (not sure if they are in others)
2. "Civilian" OCCs (adapt/rift in) from other lines. I know Robotech has several options here (1E "Invid Invasion" and 2E "Macross Saga SB" have examples), possibly even adapt Heroes Unlimited Character creation for a regular Joe (IINM they have rules for it in 2E). I'm not sure if Chaos Earth or other lines would have anything adaptable.
3. Inflict Curse(s) on the character that are not easy to break/dispell (Land of the Damned 2 in PF has some examples IINM), even on a more powered character class. (This can also be done w/o curses like Implants/Parasites/Symbiotes to weaken a stronger character class).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Haha saloon girl does not need to be a girl can be a saloon guy. Put on your best tim curry impression.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

You could play a human conjurer from Federation of Magic and have some fun - is a fairly crappy mage, but has the interesting ability of converting PPE to small objects. Nothing like creating a handful of ball bearings and throwing them under the feet of a demon :D
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

Russian peasant. Nuff said. Be superstitious, cowardy, and cobsider the more powerful party members to be gods or demons to be feared and appeased.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Wannabe Juicer O.C.C. from World Book 10, Juicer Uprising.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Human with no OCC.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
VIsgar
Explorer

Unread post by VIsgar »

Bill - While I do have most (Rifts and Palladium) books I have yet to pick up Rifts Black Market. I think I'll ask for it in this years Christmas grab bag.

Morik - Pygmy Hunter fits the bill pretty well and will be great choice after this one dies one day.

ShadowLogan - The saloon bum is another great candidate played as a backstabber of friends/employers or just no good hooligan.

Kaid - I don't think I am a good enough role player to be as fruity as I imagine Male saloon girl/guy.

Eclipse - The conjurer is pretty neat and I love your example power, but another player is one in palladium and I don't want to steal his thunder. It goes against the having magic ruling I've self imposed also.

Richardson - I think I will go with the Russian villager like you advise. As it fits the criteria and should be fun to role-play since I could think they are gods or demons or maybe masters who tell him what to do since he'll be below par in mental stats and feel like a gnat.

Glistam - If one of the other player characters wasn't a juicer I might have chosen juicer wannabe

Korcheck - We're a little immature and have a few beers, but we are generally selfish or evil. A couple of times people tortured npc's or what not and the Ultucan did eat a baby or two but no one has been a rapist or anything. I'm just trying to avoid that because he is a wild card in anything we try and do. I thought I was on par with everyone else as a shifter who never summoned anything or never had spells like annihilate, create scroll/talisman, amulet, carpet of adhesion etc. There are three of us that GM: my bro, buddy and I. My bro is afraid of power creep but we've been playing for like 5 years (55-70 scenarios) since i got out of the military. For example I have only given out one rune item (guy who had it doesn't even play anymore) so it doesn't power creep to him. He didn't kill my characters in-game but I did throw most of them away since he thought they were to much at level 5ish. I won't take revenge on his characters either in game either except they'll all get less powerful loot instead of magical bear/vampire masks or home grown rechargeable mana batteries (is that childish or fair?). I did ask for a race/class combo from that gm but he told me I should think less about how to make my character and roleplay more. Yes Russian villager it is. Edit: not just his characters loot but the whole parties.

Alrik Vas - 8) I think you won the crappiest award, however I need some form of occ I think.

Everybody - Thanks for all of you input and ideas if this Russian villager dies I've got some back ups for a while now.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Glistam wrote:Wannabe Juicer O.C.C. from World Book 10, Juicer Uprising.

Actually these guys are pretty handy. Most of the time you can't get to a high level as a Juicer because your last call hits.

A Wannabe could reach a high level THEN become a Juicer, and enjoy the combination of skills and juice.

If I was a Dwarf who planned to be Titan and eventually a Murder Wraith, I would certainly start my days as a Wannabe-Juicer.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

I've always wanted to play a Flooper or a Shaper. Perhaps I'm sadistic. But most of the races in the Conversion book have non OCC stats so I'd consider looking at those. Another option would be a Robot OCC and just start out as a basic labor bot.

You could also think about restricting yourself in other ways. Like alignment. I made a Fenndoni Sheriff who was a pacifist once. Though my bonus to entangle/disarm was so high it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

kaid wrote:Saloon girl

You beat me to it.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Gnome Gunslinger, with a low PP.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I know you said no magic and no bionics.... But you can make a pretty crappy character by combining the two ;)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eclipse wrote:You could play a human conjurer from Federation of Magic and have some fun - is a fairly crappy mage, but has the interesting ability of converting PPE to small objects. Nothing like creating a handful of ball bearings and throwing them under the feet of a demon :D

While not traditionally deadly anybody with a good knowledge of chemistry and the periodic table who can conjure said elements out of thin air is quite capable of causing a lot of death/destruction.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

How about a Spacer?
There is no spoon.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Alrik Vas wrote:Human with no OCC.

Do these even exist? I understand at one point they did, but considering there is now a 'Peasant' OCC in the game wouldn't there be a similar OCC for the 'peasants'/citizens of every country?
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Doesn't BTS have a Victim OCC?
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Quadriplegic Vagabond with twelve insanities and stress-induced hiccups.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hystrix wrote:Doesn't BTS have a Victim OCC?

1st edition did.
That'd be a good choice!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Greyaxe wrote:

Gnome Gunslinger, with a low PP.

And afflicted with Deific Curse: God Blind.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Waste Monkey.
Arzno, p. 29-31

Or a mutant bat from Lonestar
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Human City Rat with no cybernetic implants.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

The human City Rat is a highly technically skilled character capable of Rogue skills along with many others, who is a capably trained hand to hand combatant (and can easily have Martial Arts level training) who can have advanced weapons training. They're pretty far away from 'worst'.

The Victim OCC from the first BTS was neat, it actually accounted for 'regular' people. Not just NPC's, but people who didn't have an OCC in the Player Character sense (the difference between a PC who plays an Operator, and an NPC who is a 'mechanic'), and also (I believe) had lower stats.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

kaid wrote:
Eclipse wrote:You could play a human conjurer from Federation of Magic and have some fun - is a fairly crappy mage, but has the interesting ability of converting PPE to small objects. Nothing like creating a handful of ball bearings and throwing them under the feet of a demon :D

While not traditionally deadly anybody with a good knowledge of chemistry and the periodic table who can conjure said elements out of thin air is quite capable of causing a lot of death/destruction.

Yeah, but that's sorta cheating imo. Far beyond what the writer was expecting and really makes things awkward for GM and other players if they they're not up to speed on chemistry. Same thing with superpowers that create matter etc..

Would make for an interesting game however..
Last edited by Eclipse on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Human who used to be a high level temporal mage, used 4D transformation and got the phobia about 4D transformation, captured by the Angel (now unable to use 4D transformation to escape) and got converted into an ecto-traveller, which in some ways is probably enough like 4D transformation to trigger the phobia, at least some of the time, when coexisting with the material plane. This of course means he's stuck on life-support in a virtual coma but scared stiff of moving about as the normal ecto-traveller. Well, imo.

Pepsi Jedi
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

In'Valian Robo-Jockey, whose exoskeleton was destroyed, so he is wearing a modified Chipwell suit.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

novatomato wrote:

I like this idea! Totally gimped out PC, but with pretty decent skills...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

be a smuggler from mercenaries. your "super" ability is to speak a bunch of languages and hide a bunch. Call yourself Hon Salo. Try to fly something and crash horribly...
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The no Psi/Magic aspect really puts a damper on what can be done. Finding stuff with restricted skills is not that hard (Dolphin, Whale, Dragon Cat, Dragon, etc), but it is usually offset by the other factors that you also want to avoid.

Something that just occurred to me though, the Worst possible case given these restriction is to play as a plain jane animal (SDC dog, wolf, cat, bird, bear, alien), though natural abilities might get in the way (but you would have very limited skills). One way around that would be to play as a mutant animal who forgoes spending BIO-E on mutation related things (growth, limbs, powers/abilities, etc, though Growth Steps might not be a bad idea), so you are basically an intelligent animal w/o their natural abilities (you have to spend BIO-E to recover them IINM). From a skills perspective Wild Education: Self-taught (HU2E) is brutal (5 skills PLUS 1 Sec per level).
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

butter troll
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

filo_clarke wrote:In'Valian Robo-Jockey, whose exoskeleton was destroyed, so he is wearing a modified Chipwell suit.

good one
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Greyaxe wrote:
filo_clarke wrote:In'Valian Robo-Jockey, whose exoskeleton was destroyed, so he is wearing a modified Chipwell suit.

good one

Yeah, very depressing :D

Pepsi Jedi
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

ShadowLogan wrote:

The no Psi/Magic aspect really puts a damper on what can be done. Finding stuff with restricted skills is not that hard (Dolphin, Whale, Dragon Cat, Dragon, etc), but it is usually offset by the other factors that you also want to avoid.

Something that just occurred to me though, the Worst possible case given these restriction is to play as a plain jane animal (SDC dog, wolf, cat, bird, bear, alien), though natural abilities might get in the way (but you would have very limited skills). One way around that would be to play as a mutant animal who forgoes spending BIO-E on mutation related things (growth, limbs, powers/abilities, etc, though Growth Steps might not be a bad idea), so you are basically an intelligent animal w/o their natural abilities (you have to spend BIO-E to recover them IINM). From a skills perspective Wild Education: Self-taught (HU2E) is brutal (5 skills PLUS 1 Sec per level).

Make a Turtle with these rules and restrictions, name him Jobs.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I bet he could still beat an average Vagabond even with their new munchkin eyeballing skills.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

You lookin' at me? You lookin at me? I don't see anyone else here, so you must be lookin' at me.

Pepsi Jedi
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Okay I think I have found the winner. The Silver blade OCC from the new vampire sourcebook. There are basically two levels of this occ the first is the recruit which are basically teens drafted to the militia with basic training. These guys get ZERO OCC related skills they start with only their basic occ skills and 2 secondary skills.

Their bonuses are some basic knowledge on how to spot vampires, know vampire habits and improved save to horror factor if they are in a group of 5 or more people.

That I think is the most basic least skilled OCC I have come across I think the russian peasant may have more skills.

The veteran silver blade is a more standard occ but these are basically the officers/veterans of the force the basic militia is about the most basic militia I have come across.
Snow Hawk
Explorer

Unread post by Snow Hawk »

Kagashi wrote:butter troll

I like them I actually made aTW one named "pop corn"
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

How about a rabble rouser from New Gen.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

The NEMA Volunteer Militia Fighter from Chaos Earth isn't terriffic. No stat bonuses or special abilities. Basic skills, and abysmal equipment.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Civilian: Entertainer OCC from Robotech.

Starts with NO H2H skills and his only bonus can be applied to PB or MA. Depending on how low you roll your PB/MA, might not even make a difference...plus the character is completely out of his/her element being Rifted to Earth. I mean, if this chick made her living in the Robotech world as a Minmei impersonator, all of her skills would be near useless as nobody from Rifts would know who the heck Minmei even was. The OCC has plenty of electives to NOT pick combat oriented skills, and aside Body Building or Aerobic Athletics, zero physical skills are given to him/her.

Granted, this OCC is horrible at combat, but I think it would be extremely fun to play.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

THE worst possible char to play is 'One You Don't Want To Play.' Whether it is a GB pilot, or CS <whatever>, or a wormwood char, or etc....
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”