techno-wizardry / biomancy

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

techno-wizardry / biomancy

Unread post by oger333 »

could on build a techno-wizardry device that would allow someone to use biomancy or work genetics like splicers armors and bio tech things / cloning so on and so on ?
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee
Comment: A wise man once said that is true happiness.

Re: techno-wizardry / biomancy

Unread post by warrenthewanderer »

Probably not. Maybe if you had access to fleshsculpting magic, biomancy, and genetic/eugenic technology but techno-wizardry dosen't really go in that direction.
KEEP CALM AND CAST SPELLS

The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian (a Visigoth? Or just an a--hole?)

O boards, you have held up so much tedious posts that I am amazed you have not already 404'd in ruin
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The TW would have to partner with a biomancer, Fleshsculpter, or another mage that has the spells needed to make the device.

"Can PC's make such devices?" I would not let them.
"Can NPC's make such devices?" yes, but I would not let the pc's steal one.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I thought Biomancers hated Techno-Wizards almost as much as Necromancers since they're all techy.

Though I could be wrong since TW stuff is usually better for the environment than normal tech.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I was not answering the question without any inter-speciality conflict interjected into the answer.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Tor wrote:I thought Biomancers hated Techno-Wizards almost as much as Necromancers since they're all techy.

Though I could be wrong since TW stuff is usually better for the environment than normal tech.
Depends upon the 'fanaticism level' of a particular Biomancer.

As statted out in the Rifts: South America book, that goes anywhere from the tolerant 'I accept Technology as yet another facet of the universe but I don't want to be stuck inside some smelly noisy city myself' stance all the way to 'those Amish people over there are STILL too technological for my tastes, let's wage war on them and forcibly convert them to our ways' extremism.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

cornholioprime wrote:
Tor wrote:I thought Biomancers hated Techno-Wizards almost as much as Necromancers since they're all techy.

Depends upon the 'fanaticism level' of a particular Biomancer.

As statted out in the Rifts: South America book, that goes anywhere from the tolerant 'I accept Technology as yet another facet of the universe but I don't want to be stuck inside some smelly noisy city myself' stance all the way to 'those Amish people over there are STILL too technological for my tastes, let's wage war on them and forcibly convert them to our ways' extremism.

While the most tolerant sort accept technology as part of life I don't think it left any option for Biomancers themselves to go along with using technology or helping in building it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

I don't think Biomancy could work in a TW device: TW devices are supposed to follow form and function. I.e.:"See" spells are built into glasses, goggles, visors and the like. "Tech" is not "Life" and as such, even if a Biomancer was willing to work with a Techno Wizard, the magics would be incompatible.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

RiftJunkie wrote:I don't think Biomancy could work in a TW device: TW devices are supposed to follow form and function. I.e.:"See" spells are built into glasses, goggles, visors and the like. "Tech" is not "Life" and as such, even if a Biomancer was willing to work with a Techno Wizard, the magics would be incompatible.

We use tech to produce, aid, and augment life all the time. There's no reason why (other than finding a willing Biomancer) that a Techno-Wizard couldn't create say a techno-wizard land-detoxifier that caused increased soil fertility using that 9th level Biomancer spell. One could even try selling it like that, the TW and Biomancer teaming up to create devices to more effectively clean up a blighted landscape than the Biomancer could do on his own.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

RiftJunkie wrote:I don't think Biomancy could work in a TW device: TW devices are supposed to follow form and function. I.e.:"See" spells are built into glasses, goggles, visors and the like. "Tech" is not "Life" and as such, even if a Biomancer was willing to work with a Techno Wizard, the magics would be incompatible.

Except that Biomancy explicitly can. RUE page 134 says that Amber or Opal are the gems required. Likewise, Nature Magic spells take Garnet or Onyx.

Nature and technology are not mutually exclusive in Rifts.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Good point about the Opals, but the possibility still doesn't get around the difficulty of finding a willing Biomancer who would want their magic harnessed by a non-biomancer who might abuse it.

That's probably why we should see resurrection guns being mass-produced.

cornholioprime wrote:those Amish people over there are STILL too technological for my tastes, let's wage war on them and forcibly convert them to our ways

You sure you want to try that?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:Good point about the Opals, but the possibility still doesn't get around the difficulty of finding a willing Biomancer who would want their magic harnessed by a non-biomancer who might abuse it.

difficult but not impossible. There are many options, from striking up a long friendship to having a mind melter subtly bring one around to your desired way of thinking, depending on where you fall on the ethics scale.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I'm sure many a Principled Mind Melter could come around to an 'end justifies means' way of thinking for a resurrection gun.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Tor wrote:I'm sure many a Principled Mind Melter could come around to an 'end justifies means' way of thinking for a resurrection gun.

Mind expanding on that? what does a mind melter have to do with a resurrection gun?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Svartalf wrote:
Tor wrote:I'm sure many a Principled Mind Melter could come around to an 'end justifies means' way of thinking for a resurrection gun.

Mind expanding on that? what does a mind melter have to do with a resurrection gun?

He was referring to the previous post that depending on your ethics you could use mindcontrol to 'convince' a Biomancer to help you.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”