Rune Cyberknight armour?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Rune Cyberknight armour?

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Had another thought for a run item....of course said armor would be a good rune item. of course an evil one running around and changing hosts every 200 years or so would be interesting as well.

As GM how do you employ this?

Do they get used on NPC's or players?
Do the rune powers get allowed a they level or do you have the PC start with them all active?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Giant2005
Knight

Re: Rune Cyberknight armour?

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Just treat it as normal Rune Armor, you can find an example of Rune Armor to base it on in Dragons and Gods; page 232.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Why a Cyberknight specifically? I don't think the CKs have been around long enough for a Rune Smith to come around and give a care about making something so specific. The closest is a normal Rune Armor who happens to have a preference for a certain kinda host.

Cooler idea: what if the "living" cyber-armor that they get eventually gains sentience, takes over the host, outlives the SDC host's death, etc?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rimmerdal
Knight

Tor wrote:Why a Cyberknight specifically? I don't think the CKs have been around long enough for a Rune Smith to come around and give a care about making something so specific. The closest is a normal Rune Armor who happens to have a preference for a certain kinda host.

Cooler idea: what if the "living" cyber-armor that they get eventually gains sentience, takes over the host, outlives the SDC host's death, etc?

I thought about that living that passes from user to user though not a sentient one. Kind of like the Skrylls in Earth: Final conflict. But I had the notion that Cyber-Knights had to have some origin beyond the current time.

could see an ancient orders of knights started by older (Now extinct) sentient races and other creatures that may have lives on earth prior to humans. Not aliens though.
taalismn wrote:

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:Why a Cyberknight specifically? I don't think the CKs have been around long enough for a Rune Smith to come around and give a care about making something so specific. The closest is a normal Rune Armor who happens to have a preference for a certain kinda host.

It all depends on what you can do for an individual rune smith. A Cyberknight who winds up traveling to the three galaxies and winds up doing some massive favors for a dwarven guildmaster might be rewarded with custom rune armor. granted, it would take quite a bit of roleplay to manage it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well as the Japanese "True" Samurai swords (considered Rune Weapons) show, one can put a human being into a Rune Weapon (unlike Rune Stuff pointing toward SN/CoM/God/AI in BoM/Atlantis and numerous other examples).

So it would be possible to use a CyberKnight (or other class) to provide the "intelligence" to a Rune Weapon/Item.
Rimmerdal
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:Well as the Japanese "True" Samurai swords (considered Rune Weapons) show, one can put a human being into a Rune Weapon (unlike Rune Stuff pointing toward SN/CoM/God/AI in BoM/Atlantis and numerous other examples).

So it would be possible to use a CyberKnight (or other class) to provide the "intelligence" to a Rune Weapon/Item.

Shadow You and Nek just gave me an idea..

What if the Cyber-Knight who had the armor before the PC put a part of there soul into it or stayed in it? Each knight could leave when the current armor user takes his place. reason could be to pass what knowledge they had to the new knight using the armor and carry it to the next knight.

That make any sense?
taalismn wrote:

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Rimmerdal wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Well as the Japanese "True" Samurai swords (considered Rune Weapons) show, one can put a human being into a Rune Weapon (unlike Rune Stuff pointing toward SN/CoM/God/AI in BoM/Atlantis and numerous other examples).

What if the Cyber-Knight who had the armor before the PC put a part of there soul into it or stayed in it? Each knight could leave when the current armor user takes his place. reason could be to pass what knowledge they had to the new knight using the armor and carry it to the next knight.

That make any sense?

You mean like the past avatars talking to Aang, type of thing?
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Rimmerdal wrote:

That make any sense?

I don't think Rune items work that way. They strike me as an all or nothing deal, and don't allow transfer of intelligences over time. At least as far as I'm aware of.

Something like that might work for a TW device though, going off the TW Glitterhorse (NW) or specific spell examples I know are around, but don't recall the names of at the moment.
Rimmerdal
Knight

You mean like the past avatars talking to Aang, type of thing?

ya mech. was thinking along lines like that. sort of like the trills. so he can call them up to get training or ask them about what they know.

Don't think Rune items work that way. They strike me as an all or nothing deal, and don't allow transfer of intelligences over time. At least as far as I'm aware of.

Something like that might work for a TW device though, going off the TW Glitterhorse (NW) or specific spell examples I know are around, but don't recall the names of at the moment.

A TW approach should work nicely...I'll have the intelligence thing be a property of the Cyber armor so I need no real explanation.
taalismn wrote:

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I tried a thread about TW cyber-armor...people thought i was very silly. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Just a few ideas
1. Could make it a ancient rune nano device with stores some of the memories and actions of past knights thru out time, and then constructs a proxy of the knights, so the current knight can ask questions, while it might not train the knight it would allow to advise to be given.
2. It bonds with the character until true death occurs and produces a cyber-knight armor that is stronger and tougher then the average cyber-knight armor and offer features of environmental body armor.
2a. Being nano the armor could easy broken down and stored in the character body on the nano level until it's needed kinda like iron man's Extremis Armor did.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Rimmerdal
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:I tried a thread about TW cyber-armor...people thought i was very silly. :P

LOL! I have a rep for thinking in another dimension from most folks...I'm also probably on a lot Block and do not read lists too...LOL!
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Just a few ideas
1. Could make it a ancient rune nano device with stores some of the memories and actions of past knights thru out time, and then constructs a proxy of the knights, so the current knight can ask questions, while it might not train the knight it would allow to advise to be given.
2. It bonds with the character until true death occurs and produces a cyber-knight armor that is stronger and tougher then the average cyber-knight armor and offer features of environmental body armor.
2a. Being nano the armor could easy broken down and stored in the character body on the nano level until it's needed kinda like iron man's Extremis Armor did.

Like that..and in times need when out numbered even call on the spirits of all who wore the armor before him...this particular action of calling up the armors previous wearers will be costly possibly his life causing true death and the oath should another call for aid in the same fashion to be one the ghosts....but its one hell of a way a for CK to go out...stalling an army while his allies escape or perform some task to save world. at the end the battle the armour moves to new knight via a tiny rift back to Rifts earth to continue the fight.
taalismn wrote:

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Rimmerdal wrote:I had the notion that Cyber-Knights had to have some origin beyond the current time. could see an ancient orders of knights started by older (Now extinct) sentient races and other creatures that may have lives on earth prior to humans. Not aliens though.

This would conflict with the insistence in the books that Coake started them, and I figure the anti-tech powers are because he came from a low-tech world and was scared by all that stuff.

Although from what I recall of the Defilers' picture it seems they had some tech guys in power armor mixed in, so it wasn't a purely PRPG game, but Coake himself seemed to be a plain ranger.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:all depends on what you can do for an individual rune smith. A Cyberknight who winds up traveling to the three galaxies and winds up doing some massive favors for a dwarven guildmaster might be rewarded with custom rune armor. granted, it would take quite a bit of roleplay to manage it.

Good point, although I guess I figured rune items took a while to make, never any clear guidelines for that with either the Norse/Anvil Dwarves or others (gods, greater cyclops, non-K'zaa TW Lizard Mages) who could supposedly make them.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Doesn't cyber-knight armor crumble upon death? Seems like I read that somewhere....
ShadowLogan
Palladin

tundro wrote:Doesn't cyber-knight armor crumble upon death? Seems like I read that somewhere....

That's what is written in SoT4/RUE concerning the CK's Cyber-Armor, but the initial parameters did not seem to focus on the Cyber-Armor, and could merely be a regular suit of armor. That is for normal Cyber-Armor associated with the CKs, but that doesn't mean less standard versions (customized) ones can't exit in small numbers.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Tor, The notion I have is that Cyber-knights are older and further back than just Coake. I think about this..what if the so-called Excalibur of legend was real and not a sword, but a suit like this? and not what world book England has. What if King Arthur and his knights were actually the first true Cyber-Knights? each of the twelve or so knights could be 12 separate orders each with there own defined goals and quests. such goals may be guarding certain sites on earth, slaying certain monsters, maintaining the prison of the true Morgana and Merlin...the possibility makes my creative juices flow...

I'm thinking Coake's in possession of one the original 12 TW/Rune suits and its passed down from leader to leader. This explains how he is in the leader role. the current order is simply the modern variant founded and modernized by him. Having them based on some ancient order would not get followers and he knows this. this also lets me (and other GM's) create separate groups with different takes on the concept. other orders might have been wiped out or stay true to the old ways...some don't. it is so much more to it with a longer and mysterious history
taalismn wrote:

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

tundro wrote:Doesn't cyber-knight armor crumble upon death? Seems like I read that somewhere....

ShadowLogan wrote:That's what is written in SoT4/RUE concerning the CK's Cyber-Armor

Anyone remember what page that's on?

I would assume such statements to only refer to the biological armor as it becomes later on as CKs level up.

I think initially for the first couple levels, a Cyber-Knight's armor, since it does not heal or gain MDC, is not connected enough to the knight to be alive, and so would not degrade and would remain as junk for City Rats to scrap.

Let's keep in mind that Juicer Uprising pg 99 mentions that a cyber-knight (Armand) was found with his armor ripped out of his body 5 years after a fellow named Armand began his path towards Murder Wraithdom. Ralph had already been a Juicer for 2 years, and they can only survive 5-7 years.

Assuming that Armand was lvl 1 when he returned home after 2 yrs training (probably takes at least that long to become a knight, longer than the time needed to Juice up, I reckon) he could still be too low a level after 5 years to have attained the organic armor, so that would explain why the armor was able to separate from him and why it would not rot like his body when his corpse was discovered. Although there's no clear indication how long he had been dead for, nor when exactly Ralph found Death in finality.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Tor wrote:

ShadowLogan wrote:That's what is written in SoT4/RUE concerning the CK's Cyber-Armor

I would assume such statements to only refer to the biological armor as it becomes later on as CKs level up.

I think initially for the first couple levels, a Cyber-Knight's armor, since it does not heal or gain MDC, is not connected enough to the knight to be alive, and so would not degrade and would remain as junk for City Rats to scrap.

Let's keep in mind that Juicer Uprising pg 99 mentions that a cyber-knight (Armand) was found with his armor ripped out of his body 5 years after a fellow named Armand began his path towards Murder Wraithdom. Ralph had already been a Juicer for 2 years, and they can only survive 5-7 years.

Assuming that Armand was lvl 1 when he returned home after 2 yrs training (probably takes at least that long to become a knight, longer than the time needed to Juice up, I reckon) he could still be too low a level after 5 years to have attained the organic armor, so that would explain why the armor was able to separate from him and why it would not rot like his body when his corpse was discovered. Although there's no clear indication how long he had been dead for, nor when exactly Ralph found Death in finality.

does have a certain logic. Like the armor need to adjust to the user or the user needs to form that connection.
taalismn wrote:

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Tor wrote:

Locations (nothing indicates it's a function of the "living" level):
SOT#4 pg26, last paragraph 1st column, paragraph starts with "Note" in bold.
RUE pg64, 2nd column, paragraph just above heading for "Cyber-Knight Zen Combat", also starts as SOT#4

We have to remember than Juicer Uprising was written before RUE/SOT#4 update to the Cyber-Knight. Then again Armand may have been a "wanna-be" Cyber-Knight (not impossible to get Cyber-Armor, plus live by their code, etc. Main hic-up is the Psi-Sword).
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The background text for Armand's written from a narrator's point of view, so if it said he became a full-fledged Cyber-Knight then by-god he is one. But you only need to summon a ps-sword to be full-fledged. There's plenty of newbie knights out there who lack the organic armor and only have the TW modifications made to standard armor that they haven't yet formed a connection with.

One might interpret the bolded Note about the 1-4 month degeneration as applying only at lvl4+ (or even 8+) after it's become living, and not necessarily to lvl 1-3 knights, which Armand might still have been.

Then again, with a months-long window, Armand may very well have been discovered shortly after his death and may indeed have living armor. Being a 'living part' of someone doesn't mean an undead monster can't tear that part out of you.

Return to “Rifts®”