Synergistic power combos...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Synergistic power combos...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

What combos of powers do you find to wrok really well together or compliment one another very well.

For example, regeneration and multiple lives, you aren't invulnerable but extremely difficult to kill off for good.

Energy expulsion and body weapons, distance and melee combat are both covered.

tsh77769
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Synergistic power combos...

Unread post by eliakon »

Shadow Molding + Shadow Cloak. Presto instant supply of shadow to shape, on demand.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Here's a fun one to combine: Detonation; combine it with either Anatomical Independence or Swarm Selves. Both good for hours of fun.

Multiple limbs or Tentacles combined with Prodigious Limbs is amusing.

Speed Tasking, Extraordinary IQ, Bookworm, Linguistics, and Multi-tasking: the perfect secretary/researcher.

Jinx and Karmic power

Shrink Objects and Dimensional pocket.

Shrink and Dimensional door: Think about how large the effective size of that room is after you've shrunk down.

Those are just off the top of my head.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Bend light and energy expulsion light.

Edit: I know this is the wrong forum, but one of my favorite super powered characters ever was a super powered wilderness scout with bend light, EE;light, chameleon, cloaking, and sonic flight.

-flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I combined those two combinations

Fermat wrote:Multiple limbs or Tentacles combined with Prodigious Limbs is amusing

Speed Tasking, Extraordinary IQ, Bookworm, Linguistics, and Multi-tasking: the perfect secretary/researcher.

I had a symbiot character who had Tentacles, Natural Combat Ability & Multi-Tasking. Really gave the sensation that the symbiot was almost my second character. I imagined it with a high animal intellegence.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

recently after spending 3 weeks plus deciding on a power and skill set and background for a new character in the HU game im in the gm came up with 2 potential rival villians for me. one is stretching , ex. pp, and body weapons. just imagine the size of the weapons that can be made with stacking those as well as being able to use melee type attacks at the range of the stretching power. cant remember the other one off the top of my head though
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Create Force Field / Constructs and EO PE and Healing Factor
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

NMI wrote:Create Force Field / Constructs and EO PE and Healing Factor

One of my first HU characters was almost like that:
Create Force Field
Extra PE
Extra ME
Healing Factor

Had huge shield capacity since Extra PE and Healing Factor upped his PE and he could only fail a magic or psionic save on a natural 1.

Of course, that was using HU:revised before Create Force Fields got nerfed (HU2 makes creating a force field take 2 actions).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I eventually house ruled it that Creat Force Fields and Force Constructs was based off of the users M.E. and NOT their P.E.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

NMI wrote:I eventually house ruled it that Creat Force Fields and Force Constructs was based off of the users M.E. and NOT their P.E.

Except the Force Fields are energy, not psionic, constructs right? Why would they be based on strength of will rather than physical capacity to channel and manipulate energy?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
NMI wrote:I eventually house ruled it that Creat Force Fields and Force Constructs was based off of the users M.E. and NOT their P.E.

Except the Force Fields are energy, not psionic, constructs right? Why would they be based on strength of will rather than physical capacity to channel and manipulate energy?

Probably for the simple reason that its easy to get giant PE scores and game breaking Force pools. And lets face its STILL a mental power either way so one way. (its not like there is usually a force field organ or something). So why NOT have it be a case of making the world conform to you will.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Nightmask wrote:

Because in my "mind" it is just a form of TK and TK Force Field.

It is how "I" play it. It is pretty much how Invisible Woman [Fantastic Four] plays it too...as a vessel in her brain pops and her nose bleeds from the mental exertion. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Turn the page!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

NMI wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Because in my "mind" it is just a form of TK and TK Force Field.

It is how "I" play it. It is pretty much how Invisible Woman [Fantastic Four] plays it too...as a vessel in her brain pops and her nose bleeds from the mental exertion. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Turn the page!

That's not how Invisible Woman plays it though (even if some writers seem to think all force fields are telekinetic; I'm waiting for when they start referring to MAGNETO'S Electro-magnetic FF as telekinetic), I also don't remember her ever getting nosebleeds (even if she did that could still be an example of physical strain not mental).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Either way, we each have our opinion on the subject. Mine has worked for me and my games, so for me, that is all that matters. Different strokes/different folks.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Stretching&adhesion. 170 foot sticky slaps. Aps:liquid&energy absorption ultra cheesy and can't be hurt by most things. This is for magic powered characters MulTiple selves and spells. An increaSing ppe pool.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Mirror Powers + APS Fire = unlimited nukes
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tor wrote:Mirror Powers + APS Fire = unlimited nukes

I see your Mirror Powers and APS Fire and raise you One Man Army
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

NMI wrote:
  • Multiple Selves
  • Mirror Mastery - PU1
  • Energy Doppleganger - PU1
For this The Main form will be known as "Alpha"

15th level mutant
Alpha makes a Mirror Copy and an Energy Doppleganger
Alpha then makes 15 copies via Multiple Selves. The Mirror of Alpha makes an Energy Doppleganger. (We are now 19 strong)

Now the Multiple Selves only have Mirror Mastery and Energy Doppleganger. Each Multiple makes an Energy Dopple Ganger (thats 15 more bring us to 34) The each Multiple Self also makes a Mirror Image (another 15 making us 49). Each Mirror Image (15) makes an Energy Doppleganger bringing us to 64)

Alpha
15 Multiple Selves
16 Mirror Images
32 Energy Dopplegangers

Completely book legal.

The end result is a bit off... you even wrote 'bringing to 34' for dopplegangers yet had 32 at end. Also doesn't seem like accounting was made for the reduced levels.

I'm going to use level 16 as a base for some new calculations because experience tables basically allow you to get there. It's ideal to use an even number (if not 16 then we could try 10) to avoid the question of whether to round up or down when halving experience levels. Preceding name with experience level (cept for energy, ignorable since they can't have powers)

16Alpha makes one 8mirroredAlpha (half level), sixteen 15clonedAlphas (minus 1 level), 1 energy = primary total 19
*8mirroredAlpha makes eight 8clonedMirrors, 1 energy = secondary total 9
**Each cloned-mirror makes 1 energy = tertiary total 8
*Each 15clondeAlpha makes one mirroredClone, 1 energy = secondary total 30
**Each mirroredClone makes 1 energy = tertiary total 15

So in total we have something like 81 beings.

Of course, we could just have a guy who has Mimic+Multiple Selves, this bypasses a clone's inability to duplicate. If you had the 1-per-level then you would be limited by their experience levels reducing each step. If you had the 1-per-2levels then the limitation would be the duration of the Mimic power (need to stay within range to renew).

You could also do Bestow Powers + Energy Doppleganger. Give your doppleganger the power to make its own doppleganger. You can't use Bestow Powers + Multiple Selves because you can't give super abilities to people who already have them, but EDs are arguably lacking powers, since they're merely the manifestation of one with natural abilities.

I'd probably make Bestow last half-duration for them though, like it would on a mutant or psi.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tor wrote:
NMI wrote:
  • Multiple Selves
  • Mirror Mastery - PU1
  • Energy Doppleganger - PU1
For this The Main form will be known as "Alpha"

15th level mutant
Alpha makes a Mirror Copy and an Energy Doppleganger
Alpha then makes 15 copies via Multiple Selves. The Mirror of Alpha makes an Energy Doppleganger. (We are now 19 strong)

Now the Multiple Selves only have Mirror Mastery and Energy Doppleganger. Each Multiple makes an Energy Dopple Ganger (thats 15 more bring us to 34) The each Multiple Self also makes a Mirror Image (another 15 making us 49). Each Mirror Image (15) makes an Energy Doppleganger bringing us to 64)

Alpha
15 Multiple Selves
16 Mirror Images
32 Energy Dopplegangers

Completely book legal.

The end result is a bit off... you even wrote 'bringing to 34' for dopplegangers yet had 32 at end. Also doesn't seem like accounting was made for the reduced levels.

I'm going to use level 16 as a base for some new calculations because experience tables basically allow you to get there. It's ideal to use an even number (if not 16 then we could try 10) to avoid the question of whether to round up or down when halving experience levels. Preceding name with experience level (cept for energy, ignorable since they can't have powers)

16Alpha makes one 8mirroredAlpha (half level), sixteen 15clonedAlphas (minus 1 level), 1 energy = primary total 19
*8mirroredAlpha makes eight 8clonedMirrors, 1 energy = secondary total 9
**Each cloned-mirror makes 1 energy = tertiary total 8
*Each 15clondeAlpha makes one mirroredClone, 1 energy = secondary total 30
**Each mirroredClone makes 1 energy = tertiary total 15

So in total we have something like 81 beings.

Of course, we could just have a guy who has Mimic+Multiple Selves, this bypasses a clone's inability to duplicate. If you had the 1-per-level then you would be limited by their experience levels reducing each step. If you had the 1-per-2levels then the limitation would be the duration of the Mimic power (need to stay within range to renew).

You could also do Bestow Powers + Energy Doppleganger. Give your doppleganger the power to make its own doppleganger. You can't use Bestow Powers + Multiple Selves because you can't give super abilities to people who already have them, but EDs are arguably lacking powers, since they're merely the manifestation of one with natural abilities.

I'd probably make Bestow last half-duration for them though, like it would on a mutant or psi.

I'll double check when I am near my books, but when I made this idea and shared it over the years, no one else has mentioned the math was wrong. I am pretty sure my math is right. Either way, enjoy your version.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I'm still liking where Multiple Selves + Mirror Powers + Mimic is going :)
MrDisturbed
D-Bee

Unread post by MrDisturbed »

Well not sure if it works in the way that I imagine it would but I made a character with:
Self Explosion + Control Radiation+Aps Metal
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I think it wokrs to have One Offensive power,One defensive power,a sense power and a trasport power.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”