damage for powers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

hinomaru
Megaversal® Ambassador

damage for powers

Unread post by hinomaru »

Can you palladium people answer thus question.
If a power says 1d6x10 +2 points per level at second level is it 2d6x10 + 4 or 1d6x10+4...3rd level d6x10+6 damage
Because common sense and mathematical equation if the later it's suppose to me d6x10 (+2 points per level) you need to make a clear distinctive ability to read.
Can you please clear thus up for myself as a gm and my group who all of them GM heroes too...
flatline
Knight

Re: damage for powers

Unread post by flatline »

I believe the intent is (1d6x10 + 2*level) rather than (1d6x10 + 2)*level.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
hinomaru
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by hinomaru »

flatline wrote:I believe the intent is (1d6x10 + 2*level) rather than (1d6x10 + 2)*level.

--flatline

That's why I hope palladium clears this up currently and specially in future books....I mean we all took algebra which breaks down math formulas '
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Flatine is correct.

1D6x10 + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + 4 @ 2nd
1D6x10 + 6 @ 3rd
etc...
My personal houserule to this and it's something I picked up from Splicers RPG is to add in the users P.E. attribute to this as well. This way, 2 people at the same level are not necessarily firing an energy blast at the same level of power.

My House Rule:
1D6x10 + P.E. + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + P.E. + 4 @ 2nd
1D6x10 + P.E. + 6 @ 3rd
etc...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

NMI wrote:Flatine is correct.

1D6x10 + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + 4 @ 2nd
1D6x10 + 6 @ 3rd
etc...
My personal houserule to this and it's something I picked up from Splicers RPG is to add in the users P.E. attribute to this as well. This way, 2 people at the same level are not necessarily firing an energy blast at the same level of power.

My House Rule:
1D6x10 + P.E. + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + P.E. + 4 @ 2nd
1D6x10 + P.E. + 6 @ 3rd
etc...

That's the way we've always played it and the way I've sort of written for any NPC who might
have such powers. Although NMI's house rule is very interesting. Although I sort of can make
the argument based on something said on a Saturday morning webslinger cartoon with his two
friends. A mutants powers are triggered by his thoughts therefore couldn't his M.E. attribute
score be the source instead of P.E.? Yet one could make the case for the body too. Either way a
nice house rule to break up the damage a bit, and a way to make attribute score relevant in a
way. Because most of the time having a M.E. of 13 just doesn't mean anything.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote:
NMI wrote:Flatine is correct.

1D6x10 + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + 4 @ 2nd
1D6x10 + 6 @ 3rd
etc...

My House Rule:
1D6x10 + P.E. + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + P.E. + 4 @ 2nd
1D6x10 + P.E. + 6 @ 3rd
etc...

That's the way we've always played it and the way I've sort of written for any NPC who might
have such powers. Although NMI's house rule is very interesting. Although I sort of can make
the argument based on something said on a Saturday morning webslinger cartoon with his two
friends. A mutants powers are triggered by his thoughts therefore couldn't his M.E. attribute
score be the source instead of P.E.? Yet one could make the case for the body too. Either way a
nice house rule to break up the damage a bit, and a way to make attribute score relevant in a
way. Because most of the time having a M.E. of 13 just doesn't mean anything.

The other way I have considered doing this takes into account the "bodies" ability to generate the "energy" and the "minds" ability to focus and control it.

Take the average of the mutants M.E. and P.E. and add that to the damage total.

1D6x10 + [PE+ME/2] + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + [PE+ME/2] + 4 @ 2nd

*Note, this might need to be written as 1D6x10 + [[PE+ME]/2]

Example:
PE 14
ME 17

1D6x10 + [14+17/2] + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + [31/2] + 2 @ 1st
1D6x10 + 15 + 2 @ 1st

I also base Create Force Field, Force Constructs, Person Force Field, etc.. off of M.E. instead of P.E... a force of will so to speak, the ability to focus and mentally manipulate the energies involved in Force Fields [solidified air, densified sound waves, ectoplasm, etc..]
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”