a question about exceptional attributes

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

a question about exceptional attributes

Unread post by say652 »

Do demigods get the additional D6 for attribute rolls over 16? And the additional D6 if a six is rolled for the first bonus die?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: a question about exceptional attributes

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

You mean immortals as constructed using PU2? I have always given them the bonus dice. I do not have my books available to see if that is how they are supposed to be played, however.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Pantheons style demigod.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

This question would then be best asked in the rifts section if the forums.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it's generally up to the GM. especially since in some attributes they are getting bonuses and/or extra dice, making it easier to reach those levels. some GM's don't allow it at all, others will use adjusted target #'s, etc.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The rules about exception attributes as per the RMB and RUE are for human chars.

Thus there has been long running discussions whether or not any attribute roles of non-humans get any "extra die rolls".

There are some rules to guide GM's in this, 1: if the attribute has a +x points to a die roll, then the roll and the +x is all that attribute gets, 2) if the attribute only get 1d4 then that is all that one attribute gets.

There are some rules about elves' attribute bonuses in the PFRPG 2 book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

I was always under the impression that if it was a 3d6 roll, the bonus die was rolled...any other (especially higher) didn't get the bonus die. Could be wrong, though.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The rcc lists that it is compatible for heroes unlimited, the game I play. Jussayin
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

In pretty much all the game forms if a character is rolling 3d6 we allowed the extra rolls regardless of who or what the character was.
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

The clearest rule is from Palladium FRPG pg 14.

Any roll of 3d6 (only) gets bonus roll at 16+, and one additional roll if a 6 is rolled (Max 30)
Any roll of 2d6 (only) gets the bonus roll on a 12 only, and no extra even if a 6 is rolled. (Max 18)
Any other type of roll (4d6, 5d6, 1d6, 2d6+X, 3d6+X, ect...) does not get bonus rolls ever.

That said, I hate those rules.
For example a 10ft tall 500lb Wolfen who is very strong has a max potential of PS 25 (4d6+1).
While a 3ft 6in tall 80lb Golbin who is very strong has a max potential of PS 30 (3d6, plus 2 bonus rolls).
This makes no sense.

So I have always house ruled based on the 3d6 model without the possibility of the second bonus roll.
Roll is 3d6 you get a bonus roll on the top 3 rolls (16, 17, 18) so that makes max potential of 24.
So if you roll 2d6 you get a bonus roll on the top 2 rolls (11, 12), 4d6 is the top 4 (21, 22, 23, 24), ect...
However if your race has a specifically very low or very consistant attribute 1d6 or 1d6+X. Then there is no bonus roll.
I also allow you to add any fixed adustments after all your rolls have been completed. Wolfen PS 4d6+1, if your roll is (21-24) get a bonus roll, then finally add the +1. The +1 does not help you get to the bonus roll threshold.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It gets worse. Warrior of valhalla demigod mutant with divine aura.
Do I take the highest hf14 then add 2 for a hf of 16 or is 14 the max?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Where does the +2 come from? All HF bonuses stack unless otherwise indicated, but if you just get a static HF instead of a bonus then you use the highest.

Personally I'd love to see rules for combining HF, but it'd be complex. Also the HF for a lot of stuff is just too low. I don't think any alien intelligence should have one below 20 for example...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sorry, Horror Factors and Awe Factors do not stack say652.
An Demi-Gods are not Mutants.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Sorry, Horror Factors and Awe Factors do not stack say652.
An Demi-Gods are not Mutants.

true, but the Demi-God in pantheons can take as its class Mutant (yah yah its not an OCC, it still lets them take it)

As for stacking HF.
If you have something that says +x to HF you can add it.
If you have multiple things that says HF X, then you take one (generally the highest value)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Without an answer I just chose different powers.

PowerSurge
Demigod (super tough) Experiment level 1
Aps-Electricity, Multiple Lives, Slow Motion Control.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

The Wolfen vs Goblin top end strength possibility! That one caught us (the people I played with) at the time as well.

The character creation rules in RIFTS are now and have always been set up assuming the player is playing a human/close enough to it, with the other races/RCCs just kind of overlayed/fiddled into it, which has of course been the source of much confusion and arguments over the years as to how attributes and bonuses work, if RCCs can take PCCs or if an RCCs RCC is an OCC that can be switched for another OCC, ect.

I remember some years ago seeing a table set up for every attribute roll to have it's own threshold for bonuses, though I don't remember what they were. It was generally:

1D4: No possible Bonus
1D6: +D3 on a 6
2D4: +D3 on a 8
2D6/3D4: +D6 on a 12
3D6: +D6 on a 16+ (one additional D6 on a 6)
4D6: +D6 on a 20+ (one addition D6 on a 6)

and I forget where it went from there (and am probably getting the numbers wrong anyways). It was a very neat idea, clean, worked great. I never actually used it, since it never really came up, though if it did it was likely to matter on the 4D6 rolls.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am sure I broke some rule. Lol.

PowerSurge.
Demigod megahero mutant warrior of valhalla. Level1
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

We've always done (as a houserule) XdY+Z, you get a bonus on rolls of XY+Z through XY+Z-X+1 (so if you roll 3d6+1, you get a bonus on 3*6+1, or 19, and down to 17). If you roll 5d10+80, you get a bonus d6 on 126-130
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”