Soul Magic - what is it? where can I read about it?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malleable
Wanderer

Soul Magic - what is it? where can I read about it?

Unread post by Malleable »

So I was skimming the forums and read about Soul Magic. I don't think the book it was in was mentioned, and I can't seem to locate any reference to it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also can anyone point out information on psionic entities? Creatures, abilities, psionics or magic that exist or allow existence as a being of energy rather than requiring a physical body.
I believe some alien intelligences don't have physical bodies, but wanted to find out more information on this type stuff.

Thanks,
Mal
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Soul Magic - what is it? where can I read about it?

Unread post by eliakon »

Official Soulmagic first showed up in Hades (soulmancy), with additional bits in Dyvaal, and Fleets of the Three Galaxies. It got a huge boost in Vampire Sourcebook as well.
There were two Rifter articles about souls and magic, though I would have to look up the exact issues.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There is the Soul in a Bottle (Ritual) L8 in the Through the Glass Darkly book.
This is much like the similer spell in the rifter Create Soul Contaner that Eli alluded to.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=131372
Rifter 55
...snip...
Resurrection, SoL common magic (restricted)
Create soul container, L13 Common magic (restricted)
Steal Soul Shadow, L13 Common magic (restricted)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Malleable
Wanderer

Unread post by Malleable »

Thanks guys!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Wasn't there also some soul magic in Bletherad? I remember some kind of soul-sword spell that went through a shield.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Tor wrote:Wasn't there also some soul magic in Bletherad? I remember some kind of soul-sword spell that went through a shield.
Nope, that is not soul magic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Ah, I guess Book of Bygone Spirits stuff would be more aptly called 'spirit magic' or something along those lines. Lacks a convenient header like Shadow/Ice.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Threadmancy seems appropriate for this topic.....
Megaverse in Flames has more on Soul Magic
And Rifter #4 had a tiny bit on soul fragments in the official article "Death is not always Final"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

With some indefinite forms of resurrection existing (albeit costly) only a few permanent forms of death exist... the two of which I can recall are inflicted by 2 mysterious Deevils.

Of course there are some 'fates worse than'.

One can sometimes be resurrected, or reincarnate... but an AI who simply turns you into a vegetable, sapping your mental capacity and memories but keeping alive... or who simply imprisons your soul as a fuel source without annihilating it... well...

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”