Astral Domain - costs more to upgrade later?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malleable
Wanderer

Astral Domain - costs more to upgrade later?

Unread post by Malleable »

So I feel like I am missing something.
Between that Shadows has this:

"Note: Developing Domains After Creation: Adding defenses
and other special features to the domain can be done at
any time, but is extremely expensive. For example, a small group
of lords want to improve their domain from tiny to small; they
spend 20 permanent P.P.E. and get an additional 50 Creation
Points to use as they will."

But the I don't see how this is any more expensive than initial creation, unless I am missing something.
The example has the group with a tiny domain, which would have cost them 20 P.P.E, and they got 50 creation points. And they spend another 20 P.P.E to another 50 creation points. They could have spent the same 40 P.P.E. and got 100 creation points at the start, which is the same as the total they spent by developing the domain after initial creation.

So its not any more expensive? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mal
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Astral Domain - costs more to upgrade later?

Unread post by eliakon »

Malleable wrote:So I feel like I am missing something.
Between that Shadows has this:

"Note: Developing Domains After Creation: Adding defenses
and other special features to the domain can be done at
any time, but is extremely expensive. For example, a small group
of lords want to improve their domain from tiny to small; they
spend 20 permanent P.P.E. and get an additional 50 Creation
Points to use as they will."

But the I don't see how this is any more expensive than initial creation, unless I am missing something.
The example has the group with a tiny domain, which would have cost them 20 P.P.E, and they got 50 creation points. And they spend another 20 P.P.E to another 50 creation points. They could have spent the same 40 P.P.E. and got 100 creation points at the start, which is the same as the total they spent by developing the domain after initial creation.

So its not any more expensive? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mal

As the rifter article pointed out the original numbers published have some.....flaws. The simplest solution is the one from the article and change around the Creation Points and PPE costs of the later domains, or to just give a flat 1 PPE=__CP.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The rifter article on astral domains is excellent but not actually canon like the hacking article :)

Otherwise we'd all be playing Astral Knights.

*loves Astral Junkies*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:The rifter article on astral domains is excellent but not actually canon like the hacking article :)

*loves Astral Junkies*

Nope its not. But the point does still stand, that the math is screwed up in the canon book.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:
Tor wrote:The rifter article on astral domains is excellent but not actually canon like the hacking article :)

*loves Astral Junkies*

Nope its not. But the point does still stand, that the math is screwed up in the canon book.

Yes you'd have to be an idiot to take the most expensive package rather than a cheaper one and spend the difference on add-ons. Far more productive.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:

*loves Astral Junkies*

Yes you'd have to be an idiot to take the most expensive package rather than a cheaper one and spend the difference on add-ons. Far more productive.

which is further made facepalm worthy by the fact that, by the rules as you spend points when you spend enough PPE that you have reached the next level....which means that you can, technically, spend ppe and LOSE points. :eek: :-? :badbad:

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:

*loves Astral Junkies*

which is further made facepalm worthy by the fact that, by the rules as you spend points when you spend enough PPE that you have reached the next level....which means that you can, technically, spend ppe and LOSE points. :eek: :-? :badbad:

I never reached that kind of interpretation of it, since there was a note that you got one creation point for each point of PPE spent after creating a domain to improve it, it would be absurd to think as you spent PPE once you went from the next highest to the highest you lost points. Since that's so illogical I couldn't possibly take that as a valid interpretation of the rules

I can only think for trying to get the largest domain in one giant PPE burst the reason you actually get less points is you've crossed the point of diminishing returns and that in initial domain creation there's a point that after you cross it you're actually wasting PPE and only someone using a lot of idiots he hopes to kill so doesn't care about the waste or too much in need of the large domain immediately would try and make the largest from the start and instead you stop at a lower level and once the domain is created THEN spend extra PPE to add to it where their is no loss.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:by the rules as you spend points when you spend enough PPE that you have reached the next level....which means that you can, technically, spend ppe and LOSE points. :eek: :-? :badbad:

Doesn't work that way. You have the option of upgrading to a higher package, or you can just re-purchase the lower packages, since it's explicit you can buy any feature as often as you like.

If upgrading automatically falls under the package, then the end-note would only apply after you have a minor astral kingdom, so you could never lose points from buying, but it would mean that once you got through that inefficient Minor Kingdom rough patch, PPE would begin to get more efficient again.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Malleable
Wanderer

Unread post by Malleable »

Thanks guys. I guess I will go with the size of the kindom equals total points spent. And you get creation points buy buying them in what ever package you can afford and isn't a loss in efficiency.

Mal

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”