Techno Wizard Construction time

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

FuduVudu
D-Bee

Techno Wizard Construction time

Unread post by FuduVudu »

It says in the RUE rules on pg 131 under section 7 that the time it take to add a feature to a existing piece of technology is P.P.E Construction cost Multiplied by the device level halved if the techno wizard has the appropriate mechanical skills. This would mean adding a feature such as superhuman str to a suit of armor would take 10 to 5 times as long as building a suit of armor that can cast superhuman str. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so would changing a vehicle from a gas engine to a techno wizard engine take weeks?

Just want to know if this is correct or if I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Techno Wizard Construction time

Unread post by Tor »

Hm... the impression I got was the added time to build stuff into armor/vehicles was because normally if you had the spell, it wouldn't apply to them.

IE an armor that cast impervious to energy wouldn't protect itself from energy, just you, kind of being useless unless it had an AR in which case it's helpful against energy attacks that bypass the AR.

There are spells like strength though which, yeah, I'm not sure what the incentive is to build it into armor if you can build it into a smaller device that applies directly to you.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

DCT=(PPECC/10)xDL

To use the example in the book it would be (100/10)x1=10

or another example
PPECC=200
DL=4
(200/10)x4=80
DCT=80

So just ink in the "( )" around the PPECC/10 in you RUE book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

FuduVudu wrote:It says in the RUE rules on pg 131 under section 7 that the time it take to add a feature to a existing piece of technology is P.P.E Construction cost Multiplied by the device level halved if the techno wizard has the appropriate mechanical skills. This would mean adding a feature such as superhuman str to a suit of armor would take 10 to 5 times as long as building a suit of armor that can cast superhuman str. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so would changing a vehicle from a gas engine to a techno wizard engine take weeks?

Just want to know if this is correct or if I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

It's drawing a distinction between TW items that are "converted" from their original technology-based power sources & operations to a TW source, and items that have received TW "enhancements".

For example, converting a Remington Model 700 rifle with scope to the TK-Sniper Rifle is a conversion: the weapon no longer fires conventional bullets (firing TK-bolts now), and the telescopic sight's "standard" method of operation has been replaced by the magic-based Detect Concealment portion of the conversion. The listed construction time is based on the (P.P.E. Construction Cost /10) x Device Level formula listed for conversions. OTOH...if you wanted the Model 700 to be able to continue firing conventional S.D.C. rounds (or even use the more advanced DU-rounds and Ramjet rounds), and have the telescopic continue to work as normal, but also have added to it the ability to See the Invisible and See Aura (just like the spells)...then that would be "adding a feature to existing technology"...and the construction time would be P.P.E. Construction Cost x Device Level (half if he happens to have a Weapons Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Field Armorer, or other similar skill that the GM deems sufficient to meet the "appropriate mechanical skill" requirement).
FuduVudu
D-Bee

Unread post by FuduVudu »

green.nova343 wrote:
FuduVudu wrote:It says in the RUE rules on pg 131 under section 7 that the time it take to add a feature to a existing piece of technology is P.P.E Construction cost Multiplied by the device level halved if the techno wizard has the appropriate mechanical skills. This would mean adding a feature such as superhuman str to a suit of armor would take 10 to 5 times as long as building a suit of armor that can cast superhuman str. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so would changing a vehicle from a gas engine to a techno wizard engine take weeks?

It's drawing a distinction between TW items that are "converted" from their original technology-based power sources & operations to a TW source, and items that have received TW "enhancements".

For example, converting a Remington Model 700 rifle with scope to the TK-Sniper Rifle is a conversion: the weapon no longer fires conventional bullets (firing TK-bolts now), and the telescopic sight's "standard" method of operation has been replaced by the magic-based Detect Concealment portion of the conversion. The listed construction time is based on the (P.P.E. Construction Cost /10) x Device Level formula listed for conversions. OTOH...if you wanted the Model 700 to be able to continue firing conventional S.D.C. rounds (or even use the more advanced DU-rounds and Ramjet rounds), and have the telescopic continue to work as normal, but also have added to it the ability to See the Invisible and See Aura (just like the spells)...then that would be "adding a feature to existing technology"...and the construction time would be P.P.E. Construction Cost x Device Level (half if he happens to have a Weapons Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Field Armorer, or other similar skill that the GM deems sufficient to meet the "appropriate mechanical skill" requirement).
Thanks That really helped me understand this. Seems to make sense now.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”