Weapon MDC/destruction

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Qev
Hero

Weapon MDC/destruction

Unread post by Qev »

I just had a goofy thought about making a semi-pacifist Rifts character, and that made me wonder: are there stats for the MDC of the various man-portable MD weapons, ie. rifles etc? The idea was an (likey alien/DB) extremely strong and durable character who doesn't want to kill... so s/he wades through the enemy fire to grab their weapons and smash them. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: Weapon MDC/destruction

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Qev wrote:I just had a goofy thought about making a semi-pacifist Rifts character, and that made me wonder: are there stats for the MDC of the various man-portable MD weapons, ie. rifles etc? The idea was an (likey alien/DB) extremely strong and durable character who doesn't want to kill... so s/he wades through the enemy fire to grab their weapons and smash them. :lol:

I remember seeing it somewhere... but most mdc weapons are mdc themselves usually somewhere in the 5-20 mdc range if not specifically listed such as in a vehicle or power armor description.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Most personal weapons are not that high MDC I believe it states the range in the GMG but 5-20 sounds about the ballpark I remember as well. I do sort of wish they would include the MDC of weapons in their description as it is one extra way to differentiate weapons. Like take a wilks and an NG weapon the wilks likely does more damage but the weapons are a lot more flimsy than the NG versions.

I have seen sharp shooting gunslingers who specialized in disarming their opponents.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I agree with the above statements.
Instead of the weapons that deal the most damage, the durability of the weapon should also play a part in the choice.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

CB1 gave stats for a bunch of the RMB equipment. I realized I overlooked it repeatedly so scribbled the stats in my RMB and made notes about the page number.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

aah conversion book 1 pg 14 and 15 in my copy
typical black market pistol 12mdc
typical bm rifle (L-20) 24 mdc
coalition, 8mdc pistol 18mdc rifle
triax 10/20
wilks 6/12
etc.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Wow, actually seems like a viable strategy to target weapons. Then force a surrender.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

That's why called shots are tricky. Hitting a, weapon would probably be in the -3 range. Not sure if it explicitly states that, though.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

One of my TW sharpshooter's (Combat Techno-Wizard from the Rifter 2, GM allowed him to take the Sharpshooting Skill) finest moments was severing a SAMAS's rail gun's ammo belt. His other favorite thing to do was pluck missiles out of the sky.

I didn't really make any direct attacks on personal weapons although it wouldn't have been a bad idea. Also I have to assume it depends on how the GM is feeling at the moment, but damaging a weapon might/should render it useless even if it hasn't lost all its MDC.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

SDC/MDC is rarely meant to represent utter destruction but rather, the amount of damage needed to render something useless.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Tor wrote:SDC/MDC is rarely meant to represent utter destruction but rather, the amount of damage needed to render something useless.

Right, I should have thought of that at the time ... doh!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

This kind of thing is what gunfighters/gunslingers/psi slingers specialize in. Pistols may not be in general the most damaging things ever although there are some exceptions but with the high PP and sharp shooting abilities blowing peoples guns up tends to be a faster way to disable somebody as a threat than shooting your way through their body armor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

that all depends on how many guns they have.

also how accurate you are. guns are likely a called shot with a penalty, since they are a small and very mobile target compared to someone's torso.

which means you need to spend 2 actions, and you're more likely to miss. the combination of those two factors means that you have to at least double the effective MDC, and quite possibly as much as 2.5 times.

then if you factor in the possibility of dodges, and the fact that they can dodge your 2-attack action with a single action of their own, and likely launch a counter-attack, it gets even less appealing.

taking out someone's gun *could* be an excellent option, for the right character in the right situation, but i wouldn't want to recommend it for general use. if you're ambushing someone (so they don't get a dodge) and have all the time in the world to line up an aimed shot with the sniper skill to back it up (so you'll probably be at a net positive to hit) and you have a gun that will take out the opponent's gun in one shot, and they don't carry multiple weapons, and they are not themselves a weapon, it can work pretty well.

in contrast, if you're in the middle of a firefight, it's probably not great. it's even less great if they have a forcefield or backup weapons, and yet even worse if they essentially are a weapon themselves (that is, this is a terrible strategy against a magic user or most master psychics, because they'll just keep generating force fields to ignore your weapons fire, and most of them can create a weapon if you destroy their conventional one. or they can just disable you, and take your conventional weapon, and use it on you).

i certainly wouldn't consider it to be a standard tactic in a firefight.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I'm gonna try this in game. Just to get the gm to eye twitch.lol
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Often times I will do this. Not as a pacifist character but because I like looting.
If someone has a nice suit of armor or if I'm lucky enough a really sweet vehicle, I'll target the weapon systems instead to get them to surrender and then steal their stuff. I also use it in hostage situations where the victim can't be shot and I'm running out of options or in a situation with no less than lethal gear.

I'll also add that we have a house rule in our on-going Rifts world that if you hit the E-Clip there is a chance that it will cause the weapon system to explode and possibly inflict damage to the operator.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.

Return to “Rifts®”