Price list for buying spells?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Price list for buying spells?

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Is their anything on home much is costs to buy spells in any of the books? I can't recall, but i want to be prepared if my next campaign goes mystical.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Price list for buying spells?

Unread post by Prysus »

Riftmaker wrote:Is their anything on home much is costs to buy spells in any of the books? I can't recall, but i want to be prepared if my next campaign goes mystical.

Greetings and Salutations. There's no spell by spell list, but there are the general guidelines found in most main books. Not knowing which setting you're going for (but judging by your name I'm going to guess Rifts), I'll provide that as a resource.

RUE; page 190: "The Pursuit of Magic" under the "Purchasing Magic" heading.

PF2; page 248: "Cost by Spell Levels" within the Alchemist Shop section (which starts on the previous pages).

HU2 doesn't seem to list any prices (that I saw at a quick glance), and I think that's because how rare magic is in the setting. Learning new magic tends to be more of a boon/reward or trade of some sort.

Anyways, I hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightbane: Pages 125-126, "Purchasing Magic." I would (and do) use this section for the spell costs in a HU2 game.

Incidentally, a level one spell in all three books costs "5,000" - either dollars (Nightbane), credits (Rifts), or Palladium Fantasy (gold). So it could seem as if the exchange rate is equivalent. But the cost per spell in Rifts is the same as the cost per spell in Nightbane only up until the level 9 spells (Rifts is more expensive for level 9). Rifts also has a general guideline for spells of level 10 and higher, while Nightbane does not. Palladium Fantasy costs only track with the other two up through level 3, but they are "cheaper" than the other two worlds for level 4 and higher.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Magic is presumably more common Rifts Earth so even if the cost in dollars is equal to the cost in credits, I'm betting the relative credit cost may be cheaper.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

In the old GM Screen there was a hint how much a spell will cost for a magic user to learn.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Note that the price list is completely optional, not every spellcaster is going to charge a particular price and may not charge a price at all depending on the circumstances, or charge in one or more services to pay off things.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:Note that the price list is completely optional, not every spellcaster is going to charge a particular price and may not charge a price at all depending on the circumstances, or charge in one or more services to pay off things.

Hence why it is described as a 'general guideline'
In Rifts Mexico for instance I can see Doc Reid and other leaders insisting that Globe of Daylight, Lifeblast, and similar spells be taught to all mages everywhere free.....while in the Vampire Kingdoms I can see even admitting that you know those spells to be dangerous and the few teachers willing to sell the spell asking (tens of) millions.
But its useful to have a general guide line on "all things being equal a spell of X level will usually cost about Y money" if there may be mages in the game. If for no other reason as to make it so the GM doesn't have to make up the numbers out of thin air every time.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

I have used the following list for a long time, it is a tweak on several of the more sited sources.

LEVEL PRICE in CREDITS
1 5,000
2 10,000
3 20,000
4 30,000
5 40,000
6 70,000
7 90,000
8 120,000
9 160,000
10 320,000 *
11 480,000 *
12 720,000 *
13 1,080,000 *
14 1,620,000 *
15 2,430,000 *

These prices are what you may have to pay shop owners/guilds/npc's. Of course you must locate a merchant with the spell to purchase it.

* Spells generally not available. When they are available usually they come with some sort of string attached first, such as a favor and payment to get a copy of the spell.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Note that the price list is completely optional, not every spellcaster is going to charge a particular price and may not charge a price at all depending on the circumstances, or charge in one or more services to pay off things.

Hence why it is described as a 'general guideline'
In Rifts Mexico for instance I can see Doc Reid and other leaders insisting that Globe of Daylight, Lifeblast, and similar spells be taught to all mages everywhere free.....while in the Vampire Kingdoms I can see even admitting that you know those spells to be dangerous and the few teachers willing to sell the spell asking (tens of) millions.
But its useful to have a general guide line on "all things being equal a spell of X level will usually cost about Y money" if there may be mages in the game. If for no other reason as to make it so the GM doesn't have to make up the numbers out of thin air every time.

Well some treat the general guideline as 'immutable physical law of the multiverse' so it doesn't hurt to emphasize that it's just a guideline and the prices can vary widely.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The same sections of the books that list the prices per spell also say: "Add 10% for offensive spells, add 20% for metamorphosis and summoning spells."
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”