Rifts Paper Miniatures?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Re: Rifts Paper Miniatures?

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Those paper minis are the brain child of forum user MADMANMIKE, perhaps with time he would endeavor to do some Rifts sets. As I understand it, PB allowed him to put them up. He came to them, not the other way around.

Please correct me if I have this wrong Mike.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Here is his thread on them.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144024
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

someone made unofficial ones a while back i think...
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

The Ruiner wrote:Those paper minis are the brain child of forum user MADMANMIKE, perhaps with time he would endeavor to do some Rifts sets. As I understand it, PB allowed him to put them up. He came to them, not the other way around.

Please correct me if I have this wrong Mike.

Yes, you are correct. There are several reasons I chose Fantasy for the minis.

1: Fantasy RPG's are the largest market for miniatures. Yes, that means more competition, but it also means more customers looking to buy minis of that kind.

2. Palladium Fantasy is my favorite setting. I want to share that with the world of gamers that haven't tried it. If they see these minis and like them, they might be inclined to give Palladium Fantasy a try. Hence the freebie set having a page of abridged Palladium Fantasy combat rules.

3. I do all of my art in DazStudio, a 3D program for which I have been building a library of models over the past decade. Fantasy models, clothing, armor, etc outnumber all other genre's easily by 3 to 1. thus my resources leaned in that direction to begin with.

4. RIFTS has regular minis already. If I did paper minis for RIFTS, I wouldn't be helping Palladium make sales of their existing stock.. Also, the designs of armor and robots in RIFTS are very stylized and I'm not a modeler, so I don't have the resources to do all of it the justice it deserves. If this were a project being done by someone else, that would be a possibility, but as was said above, I put this together and pitched it myself.

I understand your frustration and I'm not saying that RIFTS won't get paper minis too, but it's just not on my horizon at the moment. I've got Phase World designs I'll be showing off at GenCon for the characters in my demo game, and I've done some Heroes Unlimited one's as well, but whether or not they become products is dependent on whether or not there's money in doing this at all.

Time will tell.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

theoutsyder83 wrote:I posted a few thoughts about the Palladium Fantasy RPG's paper miniatures here: http://www.outsydergaming.com/2014/08/palladium-books-paper-miniatures.html.

What I don't get is... why no Rifts paper minis? Somebody please help me understand.

Too many variables in rifts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

theoutsyder83 wrote:I posted a few thoughts about the Palladium Fantasy RPG's paper miniatures here: http://www.outsydergaming.com/2014/08/palladium-books-paper-miniatures.html.

What I don't get is... why no Rifts paper minis? Somebody please help me understand.

If interested I can link you to some I did using the existing art. They are by no means as good as Mike's look but they would suffice I am sure.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Yeah, I have seen people make them out of existing art, but it's more or less limited to old style pictures from the first few books with vehichle and robot/PA illustrations mostly done by Long (since they are clear, well represented, and generally presented alone and not as part of a larger picture or in a 'dynamic' way), and they can actually be done really well (and to scale). It gets harder with newer stuff, but it's pretty awesome to see a few dozen properly scaled robots/power armour and infantry and gargoyles/gurgoyles and their robots/power armour all standing up to illustrate a battle.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I am trying to do a bunch to use with RRT as well which is at 6mm scale.....

Edit- I did the Deaths head at 25/28mm sale........uh.....yeah......big.

IIRC it was about 18 inches wide, about 12 inches tall and about 40 inches long :lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Hey guys, just a little update;

With Wayne in China all last week I've been working on other projects besides the paper minis (Great Horned Dragon next in line). Today I needed a pallet cleanser so I threw together this free Leyline Walker.

Enjoy.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

card stock and Google Image search is your friend for paper minis. If you have access to an art program like CorelDraw or even just photopaint, you can clean them up and mod them to your hearts content.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker

Return to “Rifts®”