Prowl with a globe of silence

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Prowl with a globe of silence

Unread post by Thinyser »

So it seems that the spell could be used for more than just silencing a mage, specifically for giving a bonus to prowl. Sadly this is not listed in the spell but I feel that its more than justified as a good portion of sneaking about is avoiding tell tail noises. Being silent would have a large impact on prowl in my opinion.

Since its not covered in the spell is there other canon references to quietness adding bonuses to prowl? I think I remember seeing some sort of boots that silenced the wearers footsteps and gave a prowl bonus somewhere but haven't yet located them. Any examples out of the book would be helpful, but barring that how much of a bonus do you think it should add in your opinion?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Re: Prowl with a globe of silence

I found the TW armor in Arzno that has a GoS based silence system and it doesn't mention any bonus to prowl but since its an armor that "borders on power armor" and heavy armor normally gets a negative -25% to prowl I would assume that total silence negates this -25 penalty since the armor has no penalty to prowl. I Think that the TW Incursion "bordering on power armor" is kinda stupid it being only a 12 lb suit of EBA with only 42 MDC main body but it says thats what it is.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think the Chaos Magic spell "Ghost" from Chaos Earth: the Rise of Magic offers a bons to prowl due to silence. If memory serves I think there's a Combat Magic spell in Rifts: Mercenary Adventures that gives a silence-based bonus to prowl.

Oh! Aren't there cybernetic systems in Rifts: Japan that offer noise-cancelling and a bonus to prowl? Check in the tech-based O.C.C. section, I'm amost positive there's a tech or cyber ninja O.C.C. with them.

Since Globe of Silence is a radius I could probably justify a +20% bonus to everyone inside its effect.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think GoS benefit to prowl would have to be somewhat situational since Prowl is a combination of visual and audio.

Glistam wrote: Aren't there cybernetic systems in Rifts: Japan that offer noise-cancelling and a bonus to prowl? Check in the tech-based O.C.C. section, I'm amost positive there's a tech or cyber ninja O.C.C. with them.

Yes. Rifts Japan pg88, "Sound Suppression System". However it mentions that speed is a factor here, which can incur a -40% penalty to Prowl. The system doesn't give a bonus or penalty itself, but is mentioned to eliminate prowl penalties.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Glistam wrote:I think the Chaos Magic spell "Ghost" from Chaos Earth: the Rise of Magic offers a bons to prowl due to silence.
Nope it does not.
If memory serves I think there's a Combat Magic spell in Rifts: Mercenary Adventures that gives a silence-based bonus to prowl.
Yes! Stealthwalk adds +20% to prowl or base prowl of 40% by suppressing noise from the character walking, clattering of armor and even regular breathing. negated at above half speed attribute.

Oh! Aren't there cybernetic systems in Rifts: Japan that offer noise-cancelling and a bonus to prowl? Check in the tech-based O.C.C. section, I'm amost positive there's a tech or cyber ninja O.C.C. with them.
yes but it talks about rubber pads and rubber joints to negate the prowl penalty of -40 for borgs (its the ninja borg) not actually silencing anything.

Since Globe of Silence is a radius I could probably justify a +20% bonus to everyone inside its effect.
Yeah I think I will go with 25% (and no penalty at full speed so long as the globe keeps pace) since the above stealthwalk spell gives 20% and doesn't fully silence the character (coughs and sneezes as well as talking whistling etc are not specifically covered and are not part of normal walking so I would rule are not silenced by the magic) where as GoS would fully silence the character (negating the chance of coughing, sneezing, accidently whistling a tune or humming a song and giving up ones position).

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Sorry, I've had Chaos Magic on the brain lately. The bonus to prowl coming from intangibility I was thinking of actually comes from the Intangibility super power in Heroes Unlimited, page 276. It's a +20% bonus.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Glistam wrote:Sorry, I've had Chaos Magic on the brain lately. The bonus to prowl coming from intangibility I was thinking of actually comes from the Intangibility super power in Heroes Unlimited, page 276. It's a +20% bonus.

Can you cough, sneeze, or talk (or make any sounds) when intangible?
If so I'm still going with 25% bonus. If not I might have to drop it to 20%.

EDIT: Yep they can still speak hear and smell like normal so they can still interact with the air to make (and perceive sound) so they could concievibly cough/sneeze and or blurt something out that would give them away... Where as GoS would totally negate those possible tell-tails.

25% it is then. I think this is fair since two different sources, that don't totally silence the character, give a 20% bonus, the added ability to negate any possible sound has got to be worth the extra 5% bonus.

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Thinyser wrote:
Glistam wrote:Oh! Aren't there cybernetic systems in Rifts: Japan that offer noise-cancelling and a bonus to prowl? Check in the tech-based O.C.C. section, I'm amost positive there's a tech or cyber ninja O.C.C. with them.
yes but it talks about rubber pads and rubber joints to negate the prowl penalty of -40 for borgs (its the ninja borg) not actually silencing anything.

It also says:
A sound emitter is built alongside the skin of the cyborg (will only work if the 'borg is wearing light M.D.C. armor; heavy cyborg armor will muffle the emitter). The emitter then sends out sound waves in exactly the opposite frequencies as the noises made by the 'borg, neutralizing them.
a phenomenon known as phase cancellation.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are whisper boots in the equipment sections of the AU:GG book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are whisper boots in the equipment sections of the AU:GG book.

Magic or tech?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

tech.

One type that does not make very much sound and another type that has a sound suppression field of some sort.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”