Another Sixth Sense Question

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Another Sixth Sense Question

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

This is a situation that happened in game recently, the players were checking out an abandoned underground complex when while opening a sealed door the noise we made awoke and alerted a Vampire that was trapped inside. The question was did our alerting the vampire so the he became intent on killing whoever was opening the door and feeding cause a situation where Sixth Sense triggered and how much time or how many actions would you award the players of sixth sense warning?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Prysus
Champion

Re: Another Sixth Sense Question

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'll answer the best I can.

1: If opening the door triggers the vampire, and the vampire is intent on killing them (or whoever opens the door), then yes, it will trigger Sixth Sense.

2: Time is questionable. Part of this will depend on if you give them Sixth Sense as they're about to open the door (ergo, have not yet done so), or if after they've done so. So I'll try to address both. If it's before, then it's really a matter of how long before they open the door. If they never open the door (therefore never trigger the vampire), then they'd have indefinite amount of time (Note: The power says "already set in motion" so the power shouldn't go off unless they've already opened the door and set things in motion, but just going over possibilities). On the other hand, if it's after (which is my personal vote, and I believe closest to the rules), then they'd have however long it takes the vampire to get to them. So, if for example, opening the door awakens the vampire (waking up could be one action), then the vampire charges (depending on distance depends on time, but I'll say at least one more action), and now you have 2 attacks/actions. The power says "within the next 60 seconds" (within means any time between 1-60 seconds, but not necessarily a full minute) and "any second" (which indicates an unspecified amount of time). So, despite some people thinking it needs to be a full minute, it's really a minute or less. In this case, it's however long it takes the vampire to wake up and attack. That's all they get. Note: If the vampire waking up and attacking would take LONGER than a minute ... then Sixth Sense wouldn't go off until the danger was only one minute away.

All right, hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

SpiritInterface wrote:This is a situation that happened in game recently, the players were checking out an abandoned underground complex when while opening a sealed door the noise we made awoke and alerted a Vampire that was trapped inside. The question was did our alerting the vampire so the he became intent on killing whoever was opening the door and feeding cause a situation where Sixth Sense triggered and how much time or how many actions would you award the players of sixth sense warning?

I think basically the best way to approach 6th Sense being triggered is if the action constitutes a Surprise Attack.

However 6th Sense does detail how much lead time you would receive (60seconds/4melees).

So basically unless the Vampire attacks w/n 60seconds of the door opening, it would not trigger 6th Sense.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I tend to say that Sixth sense gives you a minute of benefits, rather than "something is going to happen in a minute", simply because it is far easier to adjudicate. So if you open the door, that's not, in and of itself, a harmful action, so it won't trigger the sixth sense. What will trigger the sixth sense is the vampire about to pounce you from behind because you woke him up. Your sixth sense would trigger from opening the door if there were a harmful ward or trap on the door (since opening the door is, itself, harmful), but not because opening the door is likely to awake someone who will take offense.

Might not be BTB, but it's the path of least headache.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Thank you all for your opinions and input. The GM had asked me to ask the question to find out what other GMs and players thought on the situation.

He gave the players 1 to 2 free actions (depending on their number of actions per round, 6 or less 1, 7 or more 2) in response to the Sixth Sense triggering.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”