Tattoo users and magic proficancies

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Tattoo users and magic proficancies

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Do you thing a Magic Tattoo user could have magic proficiencies that mages can have?
examples being in the TtGD book pages 24-28.

Or if they did have any, they would need to have ones made up for M Tattoo users specifically?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Tattoo users and magic proficancies

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say yes...with some caveats.
1) A Tattoo user is NOT a mage, they are not casting magic. They are, for all intents and purposes, using a magic item.
2) So they would have to get the proficiency as per an acolyte or other non-mage (so no more than two).
3) They are not actually 'casting' the Tattoo, so they need to get a proficiency that would be applicable. For instance while Sensitive to the Supernatural is appropriate, Group Casting is not. (to be clearer, you cant modify the tattoo with a mere proficiency)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Do you thing a Magic Tattoo user could have magic proficiencies that mages can have?
examples being in the TtGD book pages 24-28.

Or if they did have any, they would need to have ones made up for M Tattoo users specifically?

I would say no, for the same reason that beings with spell like natural abilities don't get proficiencies.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

eliakon wrote:I would say yes...with some caveats.
1) A Tattoo user is NOT a mage, they are not casting magic. They are, for all intents and purposes, using a magic item.
2) So they would have to get the proficiency as per an acolyte or other non-mage (so no more than two).
3) They are not actually 'casting' the Tattoo, so they need to get a proficiency that would be applicable. For instance while Sensitive to the Supernatural is appropriate, Group Casting is not. (to be clearer, you cant modify the tattoo with a mere proficiency)

I agree.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Group-casting with tattoos would be pretty cool though. As would someone who had to do elaborate rituals to be able to activate theirs.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

eliakon wrote:I would say yes...with some caveats.

Excellent way of putting it; arguably, true T-men are becoming magic items.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”