Remote Touch and Smart phone screens

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Remote Touch and Smart phone screens

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Do you think Telekinesis can operate a smart phone screen? Will it recognize "touches" from TK? What about Ectoplasm? Or the Remote Manipulation spell?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Remote Touch and Smart phone screens

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Most phone touch screens are EM reactive with flesh. (at least that is how I understand it, since some people in cold climes use little sausages as styluses when it is cold and they have gloved/mittened hands.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Most phone touch screens are EM reactive with flesh. (at least that is how I understand it, since some people in cold climes use little sausages as styluses when it is cold and they have gloved/mittened hands.)

I agree with drew, the silver thread tips on gloves are unreliable and a little itchy

I don't think TK or Ectoplasm has the em field to activate the touch screen and the manipulate object spell can't do that fine of action. I don't know the remote manipulation spell.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I'd allow ectoplasm to work in this regard. That power always seemed to me like a "poor man's" telekinesis and I like the idea that this gives it something useful.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mark Hall wrote:Do you think Telekinesis can operate a smart phone screen? Will it recognize "touches" from TK? What about Ectoplasm? Or the Remote Manipulation spell?

Up to the GM, but I'd say No.
TK let's you move objects, not touch them.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I would allow (and see) Ectoplasm being able to operate touch panels since it is a physical object. Though it really depends on what type of touch interface the device is using, however 2 out of 3 types Ectoplasm should be fine without question in solid form it's the other 1 out of 3 since it requires a conductive object (gm's call if solid form ectoplasm qualifies).

TKing objects will work 2/3 times though, 3/3 if it's conductive. But TK itself may not offer fine enough control (though the Mechanoids and Vernulians both use TK operated devices so it should be possible to make it reactive to TK).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If I were to use TK to use a severed finger to operate this touch-screen smart phone, how long would this remain viable before the finger's loss of biological activity would compromise the EMFs enough to prevent it from making the touch-screen react to the magnetism?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Tor wrote:If I were to use TK to use a severed finger to operate this touch-screen smart phone, how long would this remain viable before the finger's loss of biological activity would compromise the EMFs enough to prevent it from making the touch-screen react to the magnetism?

It depends on the type of touch interface used. There are 3 types that I'm aware of and 2 of them would not be effected by the severed finger's EMF capacity. The 3rd option shouldn't be effected w/reasonable time frames either given Galvani's frog leg experiments that had electricity trigger the muscles in a dead frog.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Up to the GM, ....snip

I agree with the above.

If the touch pad is activated by a force meter, analogous with most microwave control panels, then TK could be used to interact with the tablet. But not with an EM reactive switch, which would take electro-kinesis to interact with.

Ectoplasm.....humm......unless it is charged with an EM field somehow it would, in my opinion, follow the same basic limitations as TK.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually it's not reading the EM of the finger.. it literally measures pressure.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question716.htm
basically the 'glass' of the digitizer part is a sandwich of conductive and resistive elements, and when you touch the screen, the elements connect, creating signals the computer can use to pinpoint the location.
the exact way depends on which of the three sensor schemes is being used.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”