Title Needed for Novel

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Title Needed for Novel

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Hello everyone! I'm writing a novel that I hope to publish through Palladium, but I need a title. There are two main protagonists, an ex-Harvester who ran off after having a moral rebirth, and an angel. Out of the two, the Harvester is the one that the story will mostly follow.

Anyone got any ideas? :?
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Title Needed for Novel

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

First thing to come to mind was "Dark Harvest," which is already a thing.
Next was "Soul Harvest," which is also already a thing.

Maybe more information would help.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

"Fighting the Harvest"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Harvest of Angels? :P
Harvester of Angels?
The Winged Harvest?
An Angel at Harvest?

Greetings and Salutations. Seriously though, I think Killer Cyborg is right. To build a good title I think you need to really know the story and what it's about. Naturally, you can't tell us everything. But instead of just coming up with random names based on what the main characters are, I think you should try to figure out the heart of your story, and then base it more on that (possibly tying it into what the main characters are). Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Raze_7 wrote:Hello everyone! I'm writing a novel that I hope to publish through Palladium, but I need a title. There are two main protagonists, an ex-Harvester who ran off after having a moral rebirth, and an angel. Out of the two, the Harvester is the one that the story will mostly follow.

First off, don't be in a big hurry to give your story a final name. You may find that the central themes of the novel change as you write. Second, I'd be careful about being too direct or too literal in the title, a la "Snakes on a Plane." Finally, I suggest tying the title into the main idea, character, or moment of the book.

My own experience:
My novel manuscript was written as a series of log entries by Steffan Meyer, an NGR soldier who is stranded in the Middle East after the rest of his team died and he lost communication with his headquarters. That was the premise at the beginning. As I developed the character and his story, the plot and the themes revolved around Meyer's sense of duty and his commitment to an ill-advised, suicidal, and practically impossible mission, even though he knows how futile his efforts are likely to be.

The working title for my Rifts novel manuscript was the cringe-worthy "Meyer's Mission." I tried out a couple other names before I settled on "Duty's Edge", and that was after a number of revisions. The current title could be interpreted in a variety of ways: as Meyer's sense of duty and the limits of his commitment, or as the potential for that commitment to cause pain and death; it could also refer to the book's McGuffin.

What are the themes of your book? Is it one big escape and evasion? What outside and internal struggles does your main character deal with?

On a related note, you could just post it in a new thread here on the message boards. I found that several board members here gave me great advice as I wrote and posted my story, chapter by chapter.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

You should give your novel a code name... like Operation Blue Spoon
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

I find some of the best titles for Novels are ones that don't make any sense until about 2/3rd into the Novel. Something that happens to is the significant event in the story but not the final event.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Tiree wrote:You should give your novel a code name... like Operation Blue Spoon

SPOOOOON!!!!!

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Harvest Time!
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

First off, don't be in a big hurry to give your story a final name. You may find that the central themes of the novel change as you write. Second, I'd be careful about being too direct or too literal in the title, a la "Snakes on a Plane." Finally, I suggest tying the title into the main idea, character, or moment of the book.

What are the themes of your book? Is it one big escape and evasion? What outside and internal struggles does your main character deal with?

On a related note, you could just post it in a new thread here on the message boards. I found that several board members here gave me great advice as I wrote and posted my story, chapter by chapter.[/quote]

The themes I have down now are rebellion, good vs. evil, corruption, and (I don't actually know the name of the archetype for this one) dark-to-light (bad guy turns into good person). I'll have more when I get further into the novel. I know that my character will struggle with his lust for power, vengeance, and wealth, and also with his inner desire to do good. The angel, however, struggles with rigid non-involvement policies, a bureaucratic government, the death of her parents, and her lust for vengeance, as well as her psychosis.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Subjugator wrote:Harvest Time!

Sounds good for a comedy, but I think that this novel is going to turn out pretty dark and tragic.

Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:First thing to come to mind was "Dark Harvest," which is already a thing.
Next was "Soul Harvest," which is also already a thing.

Maybe more information would help.

Yeah, same here. I want the story to primarily revolve around the conflict of vengeance and righteousness. I replied to Hatred with a more descriptive post, but I'm a little nervous about posting more information online where anyone can read it.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Raze_7 wrote:The themes I have down now are rebellion, good vs. evil, corruption, and (I don't actually know the name of the archetype for this one) dark-to-light (bad guy turns into good person). I'll have more when I get further into the novel. I know that my character will struggle with his lust for power, vengeance, and wealth, and also with his inner desire to do good. The angel, however, struggles with rigid non-involvement policies, a bureaucratic government, the death of her parents, and her lust for vengeance, as well as her psychosis.

Interesting. Here are a few that might work for you:

The Fruit of Redemption
Remission's Reaper
Reaping Redemption
A Harvest of Absolution
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Old Eyes of Sacrifice
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

A Threshing of Souls
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Hotrod wrote:
Raze_7 wrote:The themes I have down now are rebellion, good vs. evil, corruption, and (I don't actually know the name of the archetype for this one) dark-to-light (bad guy turns into good person). I'll have more when I get further into the novel. I know that my character will struggle with his lust for power, vengeance, and wealth, and also with his inner desire to do good. The angel, however, struggles with rigid non-involvement policies, a bureaucratic government, the death of her parents, and her lust for vengeance, as well as her psychosis.

Interesting. Here are a few that might work for you:

The Fruit of Redemption
Remission's Reaper
Reaping Redemption
A Harvest of Absolution

Those are... actually really good, and way better than anything that I could come up with on my own. Thanks.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Glad to be of help. Please do let us know how it goes.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Well you could always go with the popular things from here

Taco
Taco burrito
Cookies for Doom
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Raze_7 wrote:Hello everyone! I'm writing a novel that I hope to publish through Palladium, but I need a title. There are two main protagonists, an ex-Harvester who ran off after having a moral rebirth, and an angel. Out of the two, the Harvester is the one that the story will mostly follow.

Trials of the Soulharvester
The Soultaker and the Celestial
Redemption of the Soul Reaper
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Return to “Rifts®”