Rifts again!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Rifts again!

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I started playing Rifts the week it came out ( I used to post on here as Dragoon about 17 years ago). We played regularly for the next 10 years or so with Rifts, Robotech and PF being our major games, with some GURPS and Nightbane (although my book still says Nightspawn).
Then along came three kids and full time work, and 15 years of almost no roleplaying. I recently realized that there are about a dozen of us at work that roleplay, and have been playing Pathfinder for the past few months. I decided to run another Rifts campaign to give our GM a break and a chance to play. While most of the characters went smoothly due to years of practice, I have two players with characters I have never had in a game before; a Psi-Slinger and a Gunfighter. What a royal pain in the butt these two are to make! I'm used to the standard Palladium organization of putting things everywhere, but these two classes take it to the extreme! I'm still not sure if I have any of their bonuses with the Modern WPs right.
The group so far consists of a Rahu-man Mind Melter, Asgardian High Elf Air Warlock, True Atlantean Psi-Slinger, Human Gunfighter, and a Wolfen Cyber-Knight. There may be one more joining as well. If all goes well I might post a running commentary on the adventure.
Anyway, thought I would drop in and say hi.
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Rifts again!

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hi!
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I started playing Rifts the week it came out ( I used to post on here as Dragoon about 17 years ago). We played regularly for the next 10 years or so with Rifts, Robotech and PF being our major games, with some GURPS and Nightbane (although my book still says Nightspawn).

Whiskeyjack/Dragoon, good evening!

I'm afraid I haven't been quite as fortunate in being part of a regular gaming group for any game at all; but I've definitely been into Rifts for quite some time. If I'm remembering correctly, I picked up the softcover 'Slaver Barge' Rifts 1st Ed. in late 1991. The last game I played of Rifts would've been a one-shot table game at a local convention in the early 2000's, in which I played a displaced Wolfen Headhunter (who didn't make it to the end of the game, I'm afraid).

Whiskeyjack wrote: ...and a Wolfen Cyber-Knight.

Wolfen seem adamantly appropriate for an example of a non-human Cyber-Knight. I think I should work that into a drawing at some point...

Whiskeyjack wrote:Anyway, thought I would drop in and say hi.

Having originally signed up at the Forums in 2004, but being away until late 2013, I am still happy to welcome you back as well! ^_^ Cheers, and good to have you here, WJ!

-Boe.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

WB!! I think I remember a Dragoon. Damn, I've been here way to long. lol
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I was going to say the same thing as Cyco, but welcome back to the forums and Rifts.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Welcome back, it's awesome you found a group made up of your coworkers and the handle Dragoon sounds familiar to me as well.

I used to be on the boards as DaddyIncredible, so I've been around longer than 2004, but couldn't remember the password to that account so I made a new one up (my current one).
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Unread post by Lao Tzume »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I started playing Rifts the week it came out ( I used to post on here as Dragoon about 17 years ago). We played regularly for the next 10 years or so with Rifts, Robotech and PF being our major games, with some GURPS and Nightbane (although my book still says Nightspawn).
Then along came three kids and full time work, and 15 years of almost no roleplaying. I recently realized that there are about a dozen of us at work that roleplay, and have been playing Pathfinder for the past few months. I decided to run another Rifts campaign to give our GM a break and a chance to play. While most of the characters went smoothly due to years of practice, I have two players with characters I have never had in a game before; a Psi-Slinger and a Gunfighter. What a royal pain in the butt these two are to make! I'm used to the standard Palladium organization of putting things everywhere, but these two classes take it to the extreme! I'm still not sure if I have any of their bonuses with the Modern WPs right.
The group so far consists of a Rahu-man Mind Melter, Asgardian High Elf Air Warlock, True Atlantean Psi-Slinger, Human Gunfighter, and a Wolfen Cyber-Knight. There may be one more joining as well. If all goes well I might post a running commentary on the adventure.
Anyway, thought I would drop in and say hi.

Sounds like an awesome group. I got respect for that lone human in the group. There have been a few people that have given commentary on their adventures. I enjoy them all. I enjoy Alrik's the most of all. You should check out some of his stuff. All are incredible reads:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143018
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143162
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143449
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143584
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143827
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=144113
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=144260
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=144967
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Hmm, can't remember my five kids' birthdays. The name does strike up something but mostly of actual dragoons. I was on the original forums when it came out as, wait for it, Zer0kay, then forgot my password and didn't get back on till I was bored one day in the office when I was in the USAF, one of those hurry up and wait moments... or it could have been a shut up and color moment either way. WELCOME BACK. Your inspiring me to hurry up and complete my automated character sheet so I can give it to PB and they can sell subscription use of it.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

You also make me sad I don't have a game group willing to play Pally near Snoqualmie, WA. :cry:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

WB Dragoon.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well you obviously can't be tinker he is still active were you dpad_ only a total of 9 posts though.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

That group needs a Butter Troll Robot Pilot.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Welcome back. I like the Psi-slinger class, I honestly thought it was one of the easiest psi classes to make. Maybe just because I'm familiar with New West...
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Thanks for the welcome! Just over a week until the first session!
Now comes the fun part of trying to get a group from various places on the continent and one from another dimension to the same spot. :)
Jerell, it was the combat bonuses with the Sharpshooter skill that got me confused. Different stats from different places, and then the new rules from the GMG that I just picked up.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Well, the first session was tonight. It went fairly well considering I haven't GM'd in over a decade.
The Psi-slinger is hounded by the murderous actions of an apparent clone, making him wanted for murder and the near destruction of a small village. He ran into an old riding buddy on his way out of town (with the law hot on his heels), who gave him a lift to freedom (our Gunfighter). A few hours out of town the ran into a mis-teleported Rahu-man mind melter who was planning on a tropical vacation but dumped in the Pecos Badlands. He ran into a skelebot patrol who immediately opened fire on him. The fleeing Psi and gunfighter came across the battle and pitched in against the skellies who they aren't fond of.
Meanwhile in Alfheim, the Asgardian High Elf Air Warlock fell asleep on guard duty at the Hall of Antiquities and had several artifacts stolen from under his nose Due to his incompetence, he was sent to Rifts Earth to track down the thieves. He won't be allowed back until he can find and return them all. He was sent through a dimensional protal, which seemed to home into the ripple left from the Rahu-mans portal and dumped him right in the battle. Recognizing the Rahu-man as coming from a noble race, he lent his sword against the skelebots and victory was won. The group now heads North to try and find some sign of the Psi-slingers framer, the stolen artifacts, and some form of transportation for the Rahu-man.

Return to “Rifts®”