Shifters "stealing" a Wizards summoned monsters?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rebis
Wanderer

Shifters "stealing" a Wizards summoned monsters?

Unread post by rebis »

Can a Shifter "steal" a Wizards summoned monsters? During a game of superheroes, A player who is a Shifter/Mutant came across a villain who is a Wizard who creates mummies to serve him. The Shifter has a M.A. 30. The Player believes that he can override the Wizard's control over his mummies. I personally think that this might be the case if the Wizard was defeated first and then the Shifter wanted to take control...
Check out my artwork at http://rebis.deviantart.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others. -Hasidic Saying
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Shifters "stealing" a Wizards summoned monsters?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nothing in canon about that working, not that I can recall anyway.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

rebis wrote:Can a Shifter "steal" a Wizards summoned monsters? During a game of superheroes, A player who is a Shifter/Mutant came across a villain who is a Wizard who creates mummies to serve him. The Shifter has a M.A. 30. The Player believes that he can override the Wizard's control over his mummies. I personally think that this might be the case if the Wizard was defeated first and then the Shifter wanted to take control...

Greetings and Salutations. That depends on how the Shifter is intending to "steal" the mummy (note: I'm going to address mummies specifically, as that's the example).

1: Is the player just trying to charm the Mummy with his M.A.? I doubt that's the case, but just throwing it out there. Mummies don't feel emotions (this is stated in the write-up), and I'd say that means you can't just charm them.

2: Is he just going for a straight battle of wills? This won't work, as a battle of wills should only (as far as I can tell) be involved during an actual summoning.

3: Is he trying to summon the mummy, then battle of will it? Again, I'd say no. First, I'm not sure that the Mummy is considered a lesser supernatural being. Second (and more importantly), in a battle of wills the summoned gets any bonuses to Save vs. Mind Control. In the Mummy write-up (PF2; page 211): "Magic charms, mind control, sleep ... do nothing at all!" This means that the mummy would be immune to the Mind Control/Battle of Wills, and the Summoner couldn't control it that way either.

Note: The "Mind Control" immunity is listed in PF2, but NOT found in RUE. However, I don't believe this is an intentional omission. The mind control immunity wasn't in the original RMB either. RUE seems to be an update of RMB (and others in the Rifts line), but doesn't always update from the OTHER lines. An example of this would be the correction Range regarding Carpet of Adhesion that's found in PF2, but NOT in RMB or RUE. So though RUE is newer, it doesn't always have the newest corrections (as odd as that sounds).

In the end, the answer remains no (it won't work), but for a variety of reasons. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

rebis wrote:Can a Shifter "steal" a Wizards summoned monsters? During a game of superheroes, A player who is a Shifter/Mutant came across a villain who is a Wizard who creates mummies to serve him. The Shifter has a M.A. 30. The Player believes that he can override the Wizard's control over his mummies. I personally think that this might be the case if the Wizard was defeated first and then the Shifter wanted to take control...

A summoned monster possibly, but a mummy or zombie is more like a created item than a summoned monster. A Shifter can no more 'steal' a mummy than they could 'steal' control of another mages talisman, or use their MA to command the other mages shirt.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mummies are animated dead, not supernatural beings, as such they are not valid targets for shifters to control anyway. not unless he just gets the create mummy spell to make some himself.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Although there is nothing protecting a summoned minion from being summoned from someone else (far as I know) to summon a particular individual rather than a random member of a race you'd need to find out their true name, I think.

Which in the case of demons/dyvalians would mean you pretty much already control them...

Unless the wizard also knew the true name in which case... unclear about what happens when there are 2 name-knowers.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”