The Godling R.C.C. quick question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DragonMunchie
D-Bee

The Godling R.C.C. quick question

Unread post by DragonMunchie »

For Natural Abilities, options 9. and 10. is there a new available updated list of options for the Super-Psionic Powers/abilities and Magic Powers and abilities of practitioners of magic available for this R.C.C. that were released after this book was printed?
flatline
Knight

Re: The Godling R.C.C. quick question

Unread post by flatline »

Nothing official that I'm aware of, but it seems that most GMs are willing to house rule something.

For instance, if you wanted a godling or demi-god with the abilities of a Temporal Wizard, you'd have to work something out with your GM. Since temporal magic starts at level 7, using the examples given won't work well unless you're willing to wait until level 7 to get your first temporal spells.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

DragonMunchie wrote:For Natural Abilities, options 9. and 10. is there a new available updated list of options for the Super-Psionic Powers/abilities and Magic Powers and abilities of practitioners of magic available for this R.C.C. that were released after this book was printed?

I don't know of any official updates to the godling RCC.

GMs tend to go one of two ways: either they are afraid of godlings and try to nerf the hell out of them (which begs the question why did they allow one in the first place) or they are ok with godlings and willing to work with you on making the character you want. Your best bet is to sit down with your GM and try to come up with some sort of compromise you can both live with as far as special abilities or powers if they aren't listed in Conversion Book 2.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I wonder if a later printing of the book had such an update?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

flatline wrote:Nothing official that I'm aware of, but it seems that most GMs are willing to house rule something.

For instance, if you wanted a godling or demi-god with the abilities of a Temporal Wizard, you'd have to work something out with your GM. Since temporal magic starts at level 7, using the examples given won't work well unless you're willing to wait until level 7 to get your first temporal spells.

--flatline

Except Temporal Wizards also have access to the full range of common spells as well correct? So they'd still get the full spell list for each level as they level up, along with whatever minimum spells all Temporal Wizards get.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Keep in mind that there are effectively many options via #10. However each would simply require plausible appropriateness.
- all of the available types have one or more variant OCC versions. As long as its appropriate then that version is viable.
-- Examples:
- A part Russian one could easily justify using the Russian version of one of those types.
- A link to a supernatural whatever could easily be regarded as this character simply being a budding version of that that being type. Thus instead of actually be a link effect is more of selecting a thematic effect. If a spell category is gained as access it would gained at the per level effect for all spells (not the limited number). In theory with GM approval you could select more than one links however this would have to reflect the character's core nature and be appropriate in regards to parentage, etc. A link to War & Magic might require the bonus spell category be 'Combat Magic Spells' from Mercenary Adventures. However such things might be a result of a union between members of differing pantheons (see Aphrodite etc) and may also result in the character being an outcast to some degree. Example: War (Asgard) but Odin has disdain for casters (see Warriors of Valhalla background limits, etc).
- One of the caster types including many of its variants include abilities that could replace those from #9.
- Space Warlock's bonus category could be achieved as via the equivalent to either of two selectable basic variants. Again these variants would likely reflect the particular theme of the nature/power of this character.
- Interestingly the evil type could be regarded has having a number of variations including some particularly nasty ones. However these are likely to be limited to recurring NPC opponents created by the GM. :)

As for Option #9
- A plausible alternative is the Zapper (W12:Psyscape). [Justify via a air/storm/elemental/nature theme character]
- Another one is the Spouter (W32:Lemuria). [Justify via a water/elemental/underwater themed character.]
- One of the Rifters also has a Telekinetic focused OCC that might also be feasible as well. [Justify via an outer-space, or psionic theme via one or more #10 providing significant psionics.]

- Bonus Tidbit: A part Russian part Japanese one has a rather interesting range of bona fied options :). There is a brief reference to a Japanese one in D3:PWS.

Now beyond these possibilities. The other OCC after that one is allowed to take virtually any OCC (some minor limits) which is essentially its special benefit (beyond the undefined parental bonuses). Story-wise it also means the pantheons can expand the range of capabilities of their 'family'.

- Side Note: True Inca (W9:SA2).
Last edited by random_username on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Seeing that RCB2 is not only never going to see an RUE Shadow Update, but it also is flat out out of print with no hope of ever being reprinted, there will never be an update to this problem. However, I do not see why number 9 could not include ANY master psionic powers if a Burster is already included. Likewise, ANY magic type created for number 10 as long as you follow the restrictions (like what Flatline and Nightmask are talking about). This is the problem of including a list of specific aspects when writing the books. Simply put, more books will be written and your information becomes obsolete. It could have been worded better to accommodate future releases.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Kagashi wrote:Seeing that RCB2 is not only never going to see an RUE Shadow Update, but it also is flat out out of print with no hope of ever being reprinted, there will never be an update to this problem. However, I do not see why number 9 could not include ANY master psionic powers if a Burster is already included. Likewise, ANY magic type created for number 10 as long as you follow the restrictions (like what Flatline and Nightmask are talking about). This is the problem of including a list of specific aspects when writing the books. Simply put, more books will be written and your information becomes obsolete. It could have been worded better to accommodate future releases.

Why would it never be reprinted? Has this book become another "Shadows of Light?"

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Glistam wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Seeing that RCB2 is not only never going to see an RUE Shadow Update, but it also is flat out out of print with no hope of ever being reprinted, there will never be an update to this problem. However, I do not see why number 9 could not include ANY master psionic powers if a Burster is already included. Likewise, ANY magic type created for number 10 as long as you follow the restrictions (like what Flatline and Nightmask are talking about). This is the problem of including a list of specific aspects when writing the books. Simply put, more books will be written and your information becomes obsolete. It could have been worded better to accommodate future releases.

Why would it never be reprinted? Has this book become another "Shadows of Light?"

I guess. Ive seen many references to the book being out of print on these boards as well as in Rifters. Dimension Book 7 Megaverse Builder also says it is out of print. Palladium doesnt even announce when they do a Shadow Update, so it could be back in print again for all I know. And we know how reliable their release dates are in the murmors and press releases... Regardless, its still available in the online bookstore...perhaps they will print more when those are gone.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
flatline
Knight

Palladium's web site says it's in stock. Is that in error?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Kagashi wrote:
Glistam wrote:

I guess. Ive seen many references to the book being out of print on these boards as well as in Rifters. Dimension Book 7 Megaverse Builder also says it is out of print. Palladium doesnt even announce when they do a Shadow Update, so it could be back in print again for all I know. And we know how reliable their release dates are in the murmors and press releases... Regardless, its still available in the online bookstore...perhaps they will print more when those are gone.

Wait... if it's in the online bookstore how is it "flat out out of print with no hope of ever being reprinted"?

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Glistam wrote:

Wait... if it's in the online bookstore how is it "flat out out of print with no hope of ever being reprinted"?

If you've so much in stock from the last printing you don't believe you'll ever sell all of what you have then something can be both in stock and out of print.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Glistam wrote:

If you've so much in stock from the last printing you don't believe you'll ever sell all of what you have then something can be both in stock and out of print.

Seems like a bold assumption. Thank you anyway.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Kagashi wrote:I guess. Ive seen many references to the book being out of print on these boards as well as in Rifters. Dimension Book 7 Megaverse Builder also says it is out of print. Palladium doesnt even announce when they do a Shadow Update, so it could be back in print again for all I know. And we know how reliable their release dates are in the murmors and press releases... Regardless, its still available in the online bookstore...perhaps they will print more when those are gone.

Unless you're referring to the 'flat out of of print with no hope of ever being reprinted' someone else made nothing about my response qualifies as a bold assumption but a reasonable explanation for how something can be both in stock and out of print. You can find places that still actually have the old Classic Marvel RPG from TSR in stock but it's most definitely out of print and never going to be reprinted. Just because something's in stock doesn't mean it's still in production. It also doesn't mean that if there was a surge in demand for the out of print book that emptied the stock that Palladium wouldn't decide to do another limited print run to profit off the demand while it was there even if they'd originally felt it not worth reprinting (since that's governed by demand for the most part and demand changing drastically could change that decision).

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Kagashi wrote:I guess. Ive seen many references to the book being out of print on these boards as well as in Rifters. Dimension Book 7 Megaverse Builder also says it is out of print. Palladium doesnt even announce when they do a Shadow Update, so it could be back in print again for all I know. And we know how reliable their release dates are in the murmors and press releases... Regardless, its still available in the online bookstore...perhaps they will print more when those are gone.

Unless you're referring to the 'flat out of of print with no hope of ever being reprinted' someone else made nothing about my response qualifies as a bold assumption but a reasonable explanation for how something can be both in stock and out of print. You can find places that still actually have the old Classic Marvel RPG from TSR in stock but it's most definitely out of print and never going to be reprinted. Just because something's in stock doesn't mean it's still in production. It also doesn't mean that if there was a surge in demand for the out of print book that emptied the stock that Palladium wouldn't decide to do another limited print run to profit off the demand while it was there even if they'd originally felt it not worth reprinting (since that's governed by demand for the most part and demand changing drastically could change that decision).

So what I am taking from this is....
There is not actually any support for the contention that it is out of print, and that it will never be reprinted or revised.
It is however in stock, and they may have enough in print to keep them in supply for a while.
Once that is out, then they may or may not reprint it. And that reprint may or may no contain a shadow update.
Is that about the gist of this?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:Wait... if it's in the online bookstore how is it "flat out out of print with no hope of ever being reprinted"?

So what I am taking from this is....
There is not actually any support for the contention that it is out of print, and that it will never be reprinted or revised.
It is however in stock, and they may have enough in print to keep them in supply for a while.
Once that is out, then they may or may not reprint it. And that reprint may or may no contain a shadow update.
Is that about the gist of this?

That would seem to encapsulate it all. I haven't seen anything that it's out of print and even if it were they still have stock, which likely means it doesn't have any shadow updates but if it were reprinted we've no idea if they'd update it, shadow or otherwise.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Rifts Dimension Book 7 page 26 confirms the book is out of print. Its also been mentioned in Kevins Murmors in the past. Why put that a book is out of print in a permanent source if there was no intention of ever reprinting it? Anyway, like i said, its it the murmors too.
Updated Aug 2015
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

DragonMunchie wrote:For Natural Abilities, options 9. and 10. is there a new available updated list of options for the Super-Psionic Powers/abilities and Magic Powers and abilities of practitioners of magic available for this R.C.C. that were released after this book was printed?

What I do when creating a char with those two power options is for them to mean that the magic option can use the magic abilities of any one magic OCC, and the psionics option to mean the powers from any one PCC in lieu of the magic/psionic CC's listed.
Note: would not mean they could chose racial magic or psi CC abilities. (I.O.W. nothing from real RCCs.)
---------------------
If there is a Change to RUE standard for the CC's in RCB2 I would expect them in the touted Rifts Dragons and Gods sourcebook if it is ever done.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Kagashi wrote:Rifts Dimension Book 7 page 26 confirms the book is out of print. Its also been mentioned in Kevins Murmors in the past. Why put that a book is out of print in a permanent source if there was no intention of ever reprinting it? Anyway, like i said, its it the murmors too.

They constantly put the 'out of print', 'back in print' things in the back of the books. That information tends to be the 'most current stock information at the time of printing' (which is why they constantly have pre-order and coming soon announcements for canceled projects). The reliability of those sources is next to zero (heck they reference in the books, books that have been canceled/never printed....*Mystic Australia I'm looking at you here*)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
flatline
Knight

Well, if they do plan to never print CB2 again, I hope they reprint the Godling and Demigod classes in a rifter or something. They're nice classes for a medium or high power campaign.

I especially like the Demigod since it's a way to take a low powered class and still survive in a higher powered campaign.

--flatline

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Particularly since there are godling/demigod NPCs in other books.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

flatline wrote:Well, if they do plan to never print CB2 again, I hope they reprint the Godling and Demigod classes in a rifter or something. They're nice classes for a medium or high power campaign.

I especially like the Demigod since it's a way to take a low powered class and still survive in a higher powered campaign.

--flatline

Wow !!! If your games have godlings at the medium power, that scares the hell out me :)

In most of our games, a demigod is about the most powerful character allowed, and then only on the super high end. I have never heard of them being a low power option, they are flat out awesome, IMO.
flatline
Knight

Athos wrote:
flatline wrote:Well, if they do plan to never print CB2 again, I hope they reprint the Godling and Demigod classes in a rifter or something. They're nice classes for a medium or high power campaign.

--flatline

Wow !!! If your games have godlings at the medium power, that scares the hell out me :)

In most of our games, a demigod is about the most powerful character allowed, and then only on the super high end. I have never heard of them being a low power option, they are flat out awesome, IMO.

Demigods fit right in with super powered characters or supernatural races. I don't actually think i've ever seen anyone play a godling before.

--flatline

Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

flatline wrote:
Athos wrote:

--flatline

Demigods fit right in with super powered characters or supernatural races. I don't actually think i've ever seen anyone play a godling before.

--flatline

I've yet to see a demigod that scares me more than a RUE Shifter or Combat Cyborg O.C.C. or R&PA Pilot, or Glitter Boy O.C.C. that was plain-jane human, and there are far scarier options that still fit well into the "medium" power level.

IIRC, your games are at the lower end for power, Athos.

I've yet to see an actual Godling R.C.C. in play, but it wouldnt scare me. Its a higher tier up there with some PU2 Immortal supers.

Return to “Rifts®”