Spells spells and yet more spells???

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

IronWarrior
D-Bee
Comment: Never give up, never surrender...unless there is food. -stares- Are you gonna eat that?
Location: on the road to Never Never Land or was it Oz. I can never remember.

Spells spells and yet more spells???

Unread post by IronWarrior »

Okay, so i decided to start this post since my search to find unique but universal spells has proved fruitless. If you have or would like to make spells and post em please do. In the meantime let me start with one of my own.
Circle of Avoidance:Level 8
Range: 21 foot radius per level of experience. If done as a ritual, use the magician with the highest level and add 10 feet per additional magician involved in the ritual.
Duration: One hour per level of experience/ one year per level of experience.
Saving Throw: See below.
P.P.E. 25 or 150
The Necrosis Magii Luc created this ritual spell owning to the fact that no matter where she chose to do her studies she was constantly being interrupted. Using Circle Of Concealment as a base line for the ritual she added elements of Repel Animal and Repel Undead into the weaving of this ritual spell. Any contact with the circle places a compulsion upon the trespasser to "suddenly be elsewhere". As a result any animal, mortal, supernatural or magical being will decide to turn around and look/search/hunt/visit some other local, moving away from the protected area. A save versus ritual magic will allow the compulsion to be ignored. Supernatural and magical beings which includes certain types of intelligent undead are allowed a +3 bonus to their saving throw versus ritual magic. This ritual spell has no effect on combat what so ever and is often combined with Circle of Concealment. Spell strength CAN be added to this ritual spell to reinforce the compulsion and offset any saving throw bonus but at the cost of another 20% P.P.E. (25 + 5 = 30/ 150 + 30 = 180)
"These are not the droids you are looking for. Move along. Move along."
taalismn
Priest

Re: Spells spells and yet more spells???

Unread post by taalismn »

Ah, thanks for the inspiration!

Circle of Annoyance(Invocation)
Level: 3
Type: Invocation
Range: Self, Touch, or 10 ft per level of experience. 10 ft radius of effect per level of experience
Duration: 30 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard for both the intended victim, and those around them.
Mind Blocks will also screen against the Annoyance effect.
PPE Cost: 7
Effect:
Creates an aura of mild repulsion around the center/victim of the spell; the victim's personality traits, speech, and appearance just start peeving off people and grating on their nerves, and more inclined to tune them out, increasingly find fault with them, start moving away from them, and generally treating them like they were a human skunk. Even the most charming, charismatic, personable person, if successfully hit with this spell, will find themselves being treated like a skinhead in the middle of a social gathering of anti-nazis. Those in the area of effect of the spell-aura are less inclined to give shrift to anything the victim says, even if totally true and innocent(those around the victim have a chance equal to their ME of actually listening /paying real attention to the victim).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

IronWarrior
D-Bee
Comment: Never give up, never surrender...unless there is food. -stares- Are you gonna eat that?

apparently i confused you. i meant to start a post where people could create and share their new spell creations.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

IronWarrior wrote:

apparently i confused you. i meant to start a post where people could create and share their new spell creations.

Which is exactly what that thread is for. All 25 pages of it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

IronWarrior wrote:Okay, so i decided to start this post since my search to find unique but universal spells has proved fruitless. If you have or would like to make spells and post em please do. In the meantime let me start with one of my own.
...snip

Then you didn't look in the magic and psi forum and see the fan created magic topic.

Bill wrote:
IronWarrior wrote:

Apparently you didn't click on the link to the fan magic topic that Bill gave, so your confusion about there not being a fan magic topic on the PB boards.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
IronWarrior
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
IronWarrior wrote:Okay, so i decided to start this post since my search to find unique but universal spells has proved fruitless. If you have or would like to make spells and post em please do. In the meantime let me start with one of my own.
...snip

Then you didn't look in the magic and psi forum and see the fan created magic topic.

Bill wrote:
IronWarrior wrote:

Apparently you didn't click on the link to the fan magic topic that Bill gave, so your confusion about there not being a fan magic topic on the PB boards.

could be i thought the majority of them were useless for my purposes hence the need for another thread. but perhaps i should have titled this thread Combat spells for the serious minded mage.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Then go to your OP and edit it to that.

There are combat spells within the fan spell topic. However, for combat spells the canon spells have that covered for the most part so people have posted their useful in non-combat situation spells.

"Why post non-combat spells?" you might ask. Well because the canon spells have the combat spells mostly covered already, because they are neat spells, cause they had an idea when drinking the irish sweetener, cause they had an idea, & cause they wanted a spell that did a specific thing that was not already covered by the canon spells.

OP You might want to give an example (numbers) of what you mean by "add spell str." to the spell. Not just the PPE cost numbers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Honestly I don't blame the OP for not posting in that thread. I didn't have good luck when I posted there. It seems to be dead end unless what you've posted manages to either really excite one of the few people who look at the topic, or if you post something that's relevant to the conversations being held at the moment.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:Honestly I don't blame the OP for not posting in that thread. I didn't have good luck when I posted there. It seems to be dead end unless what you've posted manages to either really excite one of the few people who look at the topic, or if you post something that's relevant to the conversations being held at the moment.

The problem with the thread is that it is a total ex-miscellanea. There is literally no rhyme or reason to the magic, what one person thinks is just right is another persons over powered and a third persons weak. Spells that are amusing, but utterly pointless are next to spells that are setting altering in utility.....
I invent magic all the time as needed for my games. But really, I am unlikely to post much of it since it seems it would become yet more noise.

I wish there was a way to get a sub-forum...
so a thread on ludicrous magic, a thread on combat magic, a thread on utility magic, etc......
I really have no interest in wading through pages of ludicrous magic silliness to look for spells that might get used in my game.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

eliakon wrote:
Glistam wrote:Honestly I don't blame the OP for not posting in that thread. I didn't have good luck when I posted there. It seems to be dead end unless what you've posted manages to either really excite one of the few people who look at the topic, or if you post something that's relevant to the conversations being held at the moment.

The problem with the thread is that it is a total ex-miscellanea. There is literally no rhyme or reason to the magic, what one person thinks is just right is another persons over powered and a third persons weak. Spells that are amusing, but utterly pointless are next to spells that are setting altering in utility.....
I invent magic all the time as needed for my games. But really, I am unlikely to post much of it since it seems it would become yet more noise.

I wish there was a way to get a sub-forum...
so a thread on ludicrous magic, a thread on combat magic, a thread on utility magic, etc......
I really have no interest in wading through pages of ludicrous magic silliness to look for spells that might get used in my game.

To find the category I use the search feature. First I search the forum for all posts which have the phrase "Invented Spells" in the body or the subject. That gets all the posts in that thread and a few extra. Then from the search results screen I "search these results" for the category I'm looking for. In this case, Temporal.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Rifts®”