Silver Bullets

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Silver Bullets

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

we do have some canon examples of the terrain being different. the appalachians and a fair number of the magic zones aroudn the world have a lot of 'd-shifting', where entire areas get transposed/overlapped with other worlds.
and we know the rocky mountains are a different mountain range than it was pre-rifts, with canon suggestions that some or all of the mountain range had been replaced by other worldly ones.
then you have the Yucatan and it's weird pocket reality.
not to mention phase towns, which can move an entire area around the town to other places in the world.

so while rifter zero's thing is not an official article, it wouldn't take much to find an official example of something similar.

given how much stronger the leylines were and weaker the dimensional fabric was during the cataclysm itself (as per chaos earth and related products), i wouldn't be surprised if D-shifting and similar shuffling of the geography/geology wasn't more common
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Silver plated U rounds with a led ablative coating to make it "safe to handle". The led could pierce so it would peel from the exterior of the silver which then enters the body. Gee is the silver even necessary or do radio active rounds penetrate regardless. If your afraid the silver plating would shield the radiation... Only plate the conical part of the bullet and leave the rear that the casing is crimped onto exposed. Score it so it splits on penetration, after it sheers of the led coat and redirects all over, with a central penetrator that is silver plated at the tip and bare uranium the rest of the length.

RAW the U-rounds penetrate regardless. also the radiation is not the stuff that causes the regen-negating effect, it's a mystical property of the uranium itself. (much like how silver does its thing.)

Where's it say that? I'd go with the rad level seeing as how ceritus dominus the star dragon doesn't have bio regeneration.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Silver plated U rounds with a led ablative coating to make it "safe to handle". The led could pierce so it would peel from the exterior of the silver which then enters the body. Gee is the silver even necessary or do radio active rounds penetrate regardless. If your afraid the silver plating would shield the radiation... Only plate the conical part of the bullet and leave the rear that the casing is crimped onto exposed. Score it so it splits on penetration, after it sheers of the led coat and redirects all over, with a central penetrator that is silver plated at the tip and bare uranium the rest of the length.

RAW the U-rounds penetrate regardless. also the radiation is not the stuff that causes the regen-negating effect, it's a mystical property of the uranium itself. (much like how silver does its thing.)

Where's it say that? I'd go with the rad level seeing as how ceritus dominus the star dragon doesn't have bio regeneration.

Well for one its only Uranium rounds that do this.
You would think that if it was possible to use a less toxic radioactive element that they would do so.
Also since it is possible to artificially irradiate metal if it was simply radioactive then why would they not do that?
<edit, struck mistake >
It also runs into the problem that particle beams are radiation.....

All of which points to "U-Rounds work because Uranium"

And to be honest....Ceritus Dominus is not ever said to be radiation...and since his powers work different than all the known examples of radiation, are explicitly supernatural in origin and effect, and basically seem to stem from direct exposure to an Old One and not a nuclear element.....I don't think that it is much of an example.
Last edited by eliakon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

WB5 says specifically in the U-round section that it is not the radiation, but rather the radioactive material itself.
WB5: Triax andthe NGR, pg142
Triax has learned that the phenomenal healing powers of most (92%) supernatural menaces and creatures of magic are seriously impaired by radioactive material. Not radiation itself, but radioactive material that penetrates the skin.

and it has a list of creatures they work against, which includes vampires and werewolves.

pg143
The following supernatural or magic creatures (among others) are effected by U-Rounds:
Gargoyles, brodkil, dragons, sphinxes, unicorns, zavors, Splugorth, vampires, werebeasts, ghouls, most gods, alien intelligences, demons, deevils, earth elementals, ice elementals and most supernatural beings or so-called demons.

and given that enriched Uranium works, but Depleted uranium does not (despite DU being just as radioactive, and just being a non-fissile isotope), the implication is you need a fairly high ratio of fissile isotope before the effect shows up.

presumably enriched uranium is the safest form that they found works.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

eliakon wrote:every three months
I totally forgot about that part.

Possible work-around for the limit: if you also know the Create Doppleganger spell, have the doppleganger cast it, then dispel them and make a new doppleganger who can cast it?

Obviously a rarer combo but I can see any uber-mages wanting to cash in doing this sort of thing.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

glitterboy2098 wrote:WB5 says specifically in the U-round section that it is not the radiation, but rather the radioactive material itself. and it has a list of creatures they work against, which includes vampires and werewolves.

WB5: Triax andthe NGR, pg142
Triax has learned that the phenomenal healing powers of most (92%) supernatural menaces and creatures of magic are seriously impaired by radioactive material. Not radiation itself, but radioactive material that penetrates the skin.

and given that enriched Uranium works, but Depleted uranium does not (despite DU being just as radioactive, and just being a non-fissile isotope), the implication is you need a fairly fissile isotope before the effect shows up.

presumably enriched uranium is the safest form that they found works.

Thank you. Now as it is the radio active material and not specifically Uranium, other radioactive materials should work. Now lets assume that PB in there normal methods didn't just consider depleted uranium to be non radio active and instead understands that it is that particular isotope at or beyond its half life and that they only want fizzle material. K, with that being said, there are isotopes of silver that are radio active. Can those isotopes be further enriched to make them fizzle?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

glitterboy2098 wrote:WB5 says specifically in the U-round section that it is not the radiation, but rather the radioactive material itself.
WB5: Triax and the NGR, pg. 142

…snip

So it is more 'some attribute' of the Uranium. Which could be interpreted as a mystic quality w/o the specific quality not actually being said. *nods*

So the same could not be said of Plutonium rounds. But P-rounds just need to break the skin, add in silver plating , to start of with the heavy metal poisoning.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:

Possible work-around for the limit: if you also know the Create Doppleganger spell, have the doppleganger cast it, then dispel them and make a new doppleganger who can cast it?

Obviously a rarer combo but I can see any uber-mages wanting to cash in doing this sort of thing.

Get the L13 invocation Enchant Weapon (ritual) from the NB MB instead. :D
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

Get the L13 invocation Enchant Weapon (ritual) from the NB MB instead. :D

Yeah, assuming the GM is allowing that (incredibly super powerful) spell in....(frankly in any game other than NB its pretty much OP)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:WB5 says specifically in the U-round section that it is not the radiation, but rather the radioactive material itself.
WB5: Triax and the NGR, pg. 142

…snip

So it is more 'some attribute' of the Uranium. Which could be interpreted as a mystic quality w/o the specific quality not actually being said. *nods*

So the same could not be said of Plutonium rounds. But P-rounds just need to break the skin, add in silver plating , to start of with the heavy metal poisoning.

actually, against were's and vamps (and similar), a Pu-Round would pretty much work the same way as a U-round. presumably whatever regeneration hindering effect they have also overcomes the were's "bullet proof" nature. (much like how silver does)**

**personally i've always attributed that 'bullet proof nature' as a side effect of their regeneration.. that unless hit by the shor list of the stuff they are weak too, their regen is just so fast that any damage is healed up just as fast as they take it.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

A group of mages with the Create Steel spell and the Comstock Load could churn out quite a bit of silver recovered from the waste as well as the more advanced technology to allow restored mining of the Load which still has a LOT of silver left in it, it's just beyond current human technology to keep bothering with recovering (the heat and pressure at the depths is enormous plus the local aquifer apparently forces so much water in the ability to drain it off had also reached the limits of human ability).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Get the L13 invocation Enchant Weapon (ritual) from the NB MB instead. :D

That would probably let you inflict MD to MDC supernatural beings but I don't think it would help in shooting down robots or missiles or whatever which is a big concern for me.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

So use the Enchant Weapon minor in temporary mode. No three month waiting time between uses.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So use the Enchant Weapon minor in temporary mode. No three month waiting time between uses.

The spell doesn't say that, it just says that enchanting is draining.
A GM could make a house rule that this is only the permanent use of the spell....
....but as written any enchantment is draining enough to require three months of rest (I didn't say I liked the rule, I am just saying what the canon rule is)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

this is being argued in that other topic. So I will leave it a we disagree about exactly what canon says means.

Return to “Rifts®”