Fire Eater Bio Borg Questions?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Janos2001
D-Bee

Fire Eater Bio Borg Questions?

Unread post by Janos2001 »

I am curious about something and I hope you all can assist me with it. I am wondering, the Requirements for the Fire Eater Bio Borg state that the target can not be a Supernatural, Magical or a MDC creature as the parasite can't feed/bond on/with them, however it also says that further reconstruction can be done (as long as it is within the first 24 hours of the Parasite being implanted of course). So my question is this... if the Subject is given Reconstruction that Transformed the subject into a MDC and/or Supernatural creature during the first 24hrs, would the parasite still take since it was implanted before the switch from SDC to MDC?

To go with this, if other Symbiotes were to be attached before the full conversion was complete, would they manage to stay alive and function, or are the only modifications allowed (besides the Eye of Eyelor) the various limb attachments and reconstruction treatments? Trying to create one slightly different from the basic model... thank you all for any time and assistance you may provide.
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Fire Eater Bio Borg Questions?

Unread post by dreicunan »

My reading is that rules-as-written no variations are allowed; the 24 hour limit is not referring to a window in which other reconstruction can be done, but to the time frame within which the process to make a fire-eater MUST be done.

That said, a variant Fire-Eater could be cool, so I don't see why you couldn't say that a bio-wizard had come up with a way to incorporate other symbiotes into the process (specially modified the same way that the Eye of Eylor is).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Janos2001
D-Bee

Hmmm ok, I will give you the 24 hour being how much time to get it done before it goes all whoosh, however, This bit comes from the end of the R.C.C. section under Bio-wizardry and Cybernetics:

"Bio-wizard additional appendages and partial reconstructions are possible, but rarely added to the Fire Eater."

And thus why I wasn't sure about the MDC Part.. however, looking at it even closer, it seems that no other symbiotes could be done, regardless of when, but the reconstructions could, which would still allow various alterations (MDC, changes to stats, wings, weapons, etc etc, as long as they weren't Symbiotes) to be used. So, no Storm Breather or such, but wings or blades or other types of alterations that don't invole another Symbiote are ok...
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Janos2001 wrote:Hmmm ok, I will give you the 24 hour being how much time to get it done before it goes all whoosh, however, This bit comes from the end of the R.C.C. section under Bio-wizardry and Cybernetics:

"Bio-wizard additional appendages and partial reconstructions are possible, but rarely added to the Fire Eater."

And thus why I wasn't sure about the MDC Part.. however, looking at it even closer, it seems that no other symbiotes could be done, regardless of when, but the reconstructions could, which would still allow various alterations (MDC, changes to stats, wings, weapons, etc etc, as long as they weren't Symbiotes) to be used. So, no Storm Breather or such, but wings or blades or other types of alterations that don't invole another Symbiote are ok...

Good catch. I'd missed that (it had been ages since I looked at those; I should have read it more carefully).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Janos2001
D-Bee

dreicunan wrote:
Janos2001 wrote:Hmmm ok, I will give you the 24 hour being how much time to get it done before it goes all whoosh, however, This bit comes from the end of the R.C.C. section under Bio-wizardry and Cybernetics:

Good catch. I'd missed that (it had been ages since I looked at those; I should have read it more carefully).

No worries, I went back and did a reread myself when I read your comment because I thought I was mis-remembering and wanted to double check before I really sat down and started the worksheet lol. But thank you for your thoughts on the other, I was thinking it meant they had 24 hours to add whatever, not 24 hours to get it done or else... good catch.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Fire Eaters are in Rifter 9, pp. 51-55.

I agree with the above. The 24 hours is just the time limit for the Impervious to Fire/Eye of Eyelor/Fire Eater parasite , while other enhancements can be done at a later time. I'd house rule that while any external symbiotes/parasites can't coexist with the FEP, those that are implanted surgically and don't interact with the pulmonary and digestive sytems would avoid the flame aura. The only two symbiotes I see that apply are the Mindlink and the Symbiotic Heart, so it isn't that abusable.
Janos2001
D-Bee

Thank you for your thoughts on it as well Curbludgeon, I find that to be an interesting take on it also.. I will talk to my GM about that idea and see what is thought, so once again, Thank you both for your thoughts and ideas, they are all most appreciated.

Return to “Rifts®”