What if Tolkeen had packed their bags and ran?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Champion

What if Tolkeen had packed their bags and ran?

Unread post by darthauthor »

Working on a story line.

What if Tolkeen had packed their bags and ran when the CS Army invaded.

I had imagined 5 or 10 percent would stay behind (ordinary humans).

I had imagined they would do a burned Earth number on anything they could not take with them but could be used against them or just did not want the CS to have.

I'd imagined the CS would be smug over their easy victory.

Best guess, they would move their people in.
Make it a forward operating base.
Search it for traps.
Kill the Tolkeen sympathizers or put them in a work camp.

Destroy momuments and magic.

When they are done, focus on Free Quebec.

With no help from Tolkeen, I'd imagine the CS war of Free Quebec would go on.
I'd imagine, half the CS troops against Tolkeen would be re-deployed against Free Quebec.
That or the Xiticix or New Lazlo.

The Cyber-Knights would stay unified.

Lord Duncan would smile and laugh for a couple of days then go, my greatest enemy just scored a huge victory. Use it to rally the peoples of the Federation of Magic.
Be a fear monger of CS invasion.

I'd imagine some Tolkeenites would rally towards him.

Lazlo would think they made the wise move but then what is their next move?
They would be flooded with people.

Necromancers would not have gotten the boost to their reputation.

The City of sleeping Dragons, Freehold, would not budge so easily.
Probably laugh at Tolkeen but would act sooner and take things more seriously if Tolkeen left.
No one else would do their fighting for them.
They would have no choice but to look to themselves.
They are dragons with enormus egos and power to boot.
When they get pushed out, it will be double the shame.

I'd imagine the CS would be harassed by Tolkeen insurgants.

I'd imagine the CS would be in a better position when the Minion War kicks off.

What do you think?
darthauthor
Champion

Re: What if Tolkeen had packed their bags and ran?

Question:

IF Tolkeen had walked away, "Who would the CS have attacked next: The Xiticix or someone else?"
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Without the actions of Tolkeen the civil war between FQ and the CS would likely have continued so you would have to see how that shakes out.

As for the next target of the CS they seem to hate the more active magic communities the most rather than just animalistic kind of threat that is the Xiticix. Given that Lazlo is engaged in a war against the Xiticix I could see the CS try to go after the Federation of Magic while those two powers are busy.
“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”

- General Philip Henry Sheridan, U.S. Army 1865
darthauthor
Champion

That is probably the most intelligent answer.

I'd mention something about the closest target but your assessment of Lazlo engaging the Xiticix is accurate.
The CS would rather they fought and died.
If the CS came round it might confuse the Dead Boys to fight along side the Lazlo wizards and baby dragons.

Better to finish the job on the Federation, once and for all.
Slider65
D-Bee

Unread post by Slider65 »

I'm not sure how a population the size of Tolkeen would just "up and walk away" too begin with. And where would they go? Going east just makes them easy targets for the CS to defeat in detail, and I seriously doubt that Lazlo has the capacity to take on such a large surge in population to begin with.

Going west is a safer bet, but that is still a very large group of people crossing hundreds of miles of territory to get to...? The Colorado Baronies? Not sure if they could handle the influx to be honest.

Southwest is just a Bad Idea as it possible leaves them in a vice between Lone Star and the rest of the CS. Not to mention all the other friendly folks that call that corner of the U.S. their home. Pecos Raider's would see them as an invading force, and a potluck meal at the same time.

But here is a fun idea, why stay on Rifts Earth to begin with? There are certainly a large number of shifter's among Tolkeen's forces. So, lets say they all walk through a Rift.

Center in the 3 Galaxy's might be an idea, if that large a group just doesn't get stopped at the gates and sent back home just as fast as they got there. And the Gate closing behind them.

There's the possibility of a place like the UWW having both the size and resources needed to take them in, but some of the nastier elements of Tolkeen's forces, and several of the Warlords, I don't imagine being very welcome to say the least, and could certainly get up to all kinds of mischief. But at the least the UWW would be a very welcome place for most of Tolkeen's citizens.

For just all kinds of fun, Wormwood would be an... interesting destination to say the least. Although I cannot recall if the Living Planet would have the capability to keep such a large population fed. And as long as they are willing to join in the fight against the Unholy, I imagine they would be welcomed with open arms. And could quite possibly tip the balance in favor of the forces of goodness and light (cough, cough) But I could also see some of the Warlords, and those forces loyal to them, deciding that the Unholy seems like a nice fellow and there is certainly room for advancement on his side as well.

Just a few ideas if anyone finds them interesting.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Ran a mini campaign where the Tolkeenite powers that be locked down the ley lines via the pyramids to prevent citizens from just Rifting away, abandoning their duty to defend against the CS forces arrayed against them. So, the local BM boss recruited an Astral Lord psychic to take select clients (those that couldn't dimensionally self teleport) to an astral domain to bypass the magical lockout, in the expectation that a portal would be opened up somewhere safe far away from Tolkeen. It was a game of cat and mouse with the authorities who learned of this traitorous operation, while also an ethical dilemma for the PCs when the BM boss ordered all the air to be evacuated from the domain - killing the refugees.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Slider65 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:00 am I'm not sure how a population the size of Tolkeen would just "up and walk away" too begin with. And where would they go? Going east just makes them easy targets for the CS to defeat in detail, and I seriously doubt that Lazlo has the capacity to take on such a large surge in population to begin with. .
I'm figuring hypothetic 'big arse Rift event'...but that could take EVERYBODY. Sort of a 'Cities in Flight' scenario, only it's extradimensional transposition.

Let's face it, it would be funny as hell if the CS army came over the horizon ready to rumble and found a big hole in the ground with a sign on the edge saying something along the lines of 'Moved to Happiness' or some other 'left without a forwarding address' message.

Cue a few Deadboys spiking their helmets into the ground, kicking and cursing, and more than a few others breathing a sigh of relief.

And CS high command nervously wondering where the hell those Tolkeenites could have gone.

Uglier scenario would swap Tolkeen for an alternate techno- fortress city even MORE prepared to rumble with these black-armored goons who are onsite when the former were apparently snatched from their surroundings.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Makes me think of the teleporting Stormspire (WB16), except on a grander scale.

What if Battleship Galatica's armada were, instead of space ships, a flotilla of towers packed with Tolkeenite refugees slowly teleporting their way across the prairies...
Slider65
D-Bee

Unread post by Slider65 »

Oh, I like the idea of Stormspire getting involved in the evacuation. That just opens up all kinds of Possibilities. For one, Stormspire teleporting in and packing in as much stuff (and people of course) as it can hold and then returning back to it's home. Talk about an opportunity for K'Zaa to get his hands on all sorts of new and interesting techno-wizardry that Tolkeen had developed, plus as many of the actual people involved in the making of said items, and he would be ecstatic.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I had a small town trapped between the CS and FoM where a techno-wizard tried to teleport it away, he accidentally turned it into a Fade-Town.

The problem for Tolkeen is how large it is so moving as one unit is almost impossible. I could see an evacuation where non-combatants evacuated to...all of the above. Some end up in the UWW, others in Center, some to Lazlo and New Lazlo and still others all over the world. In this situation I could see, instead of swapping Tolkeen for a nastier place, just inviting hordes of demons and monsters in to take over so that when the CS arrives you have glorious scumbag on scumbag violence.

I could see them trying to fold the entire city into a pocket dimension but who knows how bad that might go.
“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”

- General Philip Henry Sheridan, U.S. Army 1865
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Frankly, I’m an infinite Megaverse, I always found it odd that magical cities like Tolkeen don’t relocate to an unpopulated world in the first place, or at least have a colony somewhere that doesn’t have CS and vamps and Xiticix and such.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Killer Cyborg wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:33 amFrankly, I’m an infinite Megaverse, I always found it odd that magical cities like Tolkeen don’t relocate to an unpopulated world in the first place, or at least have a colony somewhere that doesn’t have CS and vamps and Xiticix and such.
You ARE an infinite Megaverse in my books, KC! :ok:

Jokes aside, logic would suggest that an extra-dimensional backdoor escape route would make total sense. But when dealing with crazy leaders drunk with insane levels of power and fragile egos, they may commit others to an unwinnable cause for the sake of pride rather than think of the greater good of the people. Hence the game I ran where people weren't allowed to evacuate via rifts, as they were expected to fight and defend the kingdom down to the last being, giving rise to black market trafficking to an astral domain. Makes for a good tense story of desperation when you restrict access to the one thing you'd imagine would be freely available in a magical kingdom littered with nexuses... namely, PPE. Most people don't have the PPE to open a Rift without a ley line buff and with authorities cracking down on ritual ceremonies / unauthorized gatherings. Think of a squad of deputized Alu demons kicking down the door to a birthday party because it might be cover for an illegal draft-dodging dimensional teleport ritual to safety. Personal freedoms are often the first victims of war.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”