More Astral Projection Questions

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

More Astral Projection Questions

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'm back to flesh out this non-corporeal power. The book states that there is a silver cord that leads you back to the body. I assume that even if that body is moved, the cord will be attached as well. So, even if the body is in a horse drawn carriage, the astral projection can still find the body. But, what would happen if that body were to be teleported, say via a teleportation circle? I guess the cord would still be attached. But would the psychic/mage realize that the body is suddenly much farther away and in a different place when the cord suddenly trails off into another direction?

How aware of the body is the astral person? Would they know that their body is being moved or molested or teleported? If they have 6th Sense, would that power trigger to their astral projection, the corporeal body, or both? Would they astral projection know that the body is being injured?

The description also says that the astral person has "the same number of attacks per melee, bonuses, hand to hand, skills, knowledge and psychic powers that he or she has in the material plane." It also says, "The astral self is little more than a mute, ghostly observer." So, the first one implies that a psychic could still use all of his or her powers while in astral form. But, would those powers affect the physical world? Could an astral form blast someone with a mind bolt, or use telekinesis on objects? It does say "The astral body cannot communicate with the physical world except through telepathy or empathy" which implies that the astral person can affect the physical realm in some fashion.

-Vek
"Kiss My Astral."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: More Astral Projection Questions

Unread post by kiralon »

With the silver cord i play that after a certain distance it fades into insubstantiality, otherwise how could you get lost going back to your body.
yes to finding your body wherever it is/been moved to and you would not know it was moved until looking at it from tha astral plane.

Zero awareness of the body except with death of the body.

6th sense would only work on the astral form as that is the source of the psionics

The abilities are for when fighting others or doing things in the astral plane, and you cant affect anything physically in the real world so telepathy is fine.
I do allow a small amount of things to affect the physical plane, especially if what you are effecting is psionic in nature, so a response for a small period of time if somethings aura interacts with an astral form, like an enemy mind mage shooting a bit of his aura at your astral form (eg mind bolt) or other psionic attacks, but if it is a magical spell that effects spirits i wont (no aura interaction).
I make aura's an integral part of psionic action, so a rock on the ground can be tk'd, a rock in someones hand is within their aura so it gets their save vs psionics (unless the rocks is better of course) if you want to telekinetically grab it. Psionic attacks are people wielding their aura offensively and so on.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: More Astral Projection Questions

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Teleporting (or Portaling) isn't supposed to do damage, so the silver cord would not be damaged via the use of the ability/power. I'd say the cord still "unspools" as a result of teleporting (or travel via portal) since it isn't clear (AFAIK) where the cord is coming from per say, and the mechanism of teleporting isn't clear either (does it take you apart, does it warp space around you, etc).

(As for getting lost even with the Silver Cord, I think it is a result of sensory alteration but also Astral "currents" or "weather" manipulate the cord making it difficult to navigate by it.)

The Astral Projected character would not be aware of anything going on with their physical body. A possessing entity could take it for a test drive while APing and the psychic would never know (until after the fact).

6th Sense would trigger for both since the danger could be perceived somehow on a subconscious level, so the physical body could still trigger it due to mundane senses that are still going even while it is out cold (hearing and or smell most likely). However it should be noted that 6th Sense is pretty murky on details, and likely would not be triggered by a teleport.

And yes the psychic can use any of their powers while in Astral forms, however their ability to interact with the material plane IS supposed to be limited to a small section of powers that aren't directed at Self or require Touch. Though IIRC the list of actual powers might be even more limited than that from a previous discussion on this topic (want to say the Rifts Ecto-Traveler in SB3 can do stuff while APing that normally can't be done per the text)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”