Custom hand-to-hand skill for mages

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MyDumpStatIsMA
Explorer

Custom hand-to-hand skill for mages

Unread post by MyDumpStatIsMA »

After seeing the various WB: Japan martial arts that double PPE, two things stood out to me:

One, the OCCs that get these boosts to PPE aren't magic-intensive classes to begin with. So it's largely wasted. Two, it's clear the writers don't want people to be able to learn Aikido, etc, if their character's origin isn't in east Asia. This limits you to making Asian characters that you more than likely will be forced to implausibly export to other settings or parts of Rifts Earth.

I got to thinking about how I often take martial arts for my mages, mainly for the initiative gains and backflip escape. Yet there are so many elements of all hand-to-hand skills that are essentially wasted on most magic OCCs. Further complicating the issue is that while most psychic or magic classes get to take martial arts or assassin for the loss of only 2 OCC-related skills, the Mystic once again gets penalized by starting out with zero combat skill, and must 'pay' for even basic, and then pay 3 or 4 OCC-related skills for martial arts or assassin.

So, all of that led me to create my own Mystic OCC-centric combat skill, that other mages can learn if they choose.

As a placeholder name, let's call it Meditative Combat. +2 to ME and PE, +2d6 SDC are the general bonuses. It has the same moves as basic combat skill at level 1. Starts with 3 attacks/actions per melee. Gets a bonus of +1 to parry, dodge, and roll at first level.

Level 2: +1 initiative.
Level 3: Double PPE.
Level 4: Backflip escape.
Level 5: +1 attack per melee.
Level 6: +1 to parry/dodge/roll.
Level 7: +1 to strike.
Level 8: +1 to initiative.
Level 9: Double ISP.
Level 10: +1 attack.
Level 11: +1 to parry/dodge/roll.
Level 12: +1 to strike.
Level 13: Knockout from behind.
Level 14: +1 to initiative.
Level 15: Increase current PPE and ISP by 10%.

Mystic OCC and similar classes (Grey Seer, etc) could learn the skill for the cost of 3 OCC-related. All other classes must pay 5 OCC-related skills. Only Mystics learn the skill intuitively, but they can teach others. Despite learning it more easily, Mystics still must sacrifice some OCC-related skills as a reflection of how much time they spend on mental and physical conditioning. The combat skills are weak and unsophisticated because they are self-taught and focus more on training quick reflexes and mental/physical fortitude (i.e, PPE and ISP gains) than handling weapons or delivering killing blows with fists and feet.

Concept explanation: double down on mages being weak in combat. Give poor combat bonuses, aside from initiative. I purposely broke up the bonuses to parry and dodge to emphasize the slow progress in that area; most other hand to hand skills give you +2 or +3 to both, all at once. The relatively generous initiative bonuses are from the mental conditioning--always being alert and focused. Overall, this skill is for pure mages who want to do nothing but use magic; hence the necessity of giving the PPE bonus so early in progression.

I'm curious to hear opinions on the balance and viability of such a skill. Thanks for reading.
Rifter11
Wanderer

Re: Custom hand-to-hand skill for mages

Unread post by Rifter11 »

Number of attacks is so important to me that I metagame a little because of it. For instance, non-NPCs I make ALWAYS take Boxing. I mean thats an extra spell cast, a shot from my Wilk's 457 or even a dodge to get out of harm's way. Starting the martial art with only 3 attacks instead of the standard 4 is a deal breaker to me.

That being said...your idea IS interesting. :)
MyDumpStatIsMA
Explorer

Rifter11 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:49 pm Number of attacks is so important to me that I metagame a little because of it. For instance, non-NPCs I make ALWAYS take Boxing. I mean thats an extra spell cast, a shot from my Wilk's 457 or even a dodge to get out of harm's way. Starting the martial art with only 3 attacks instead of the standard 4 is a deal breaker to me.

That being said...your idea IS interesting. :)
Well, it's my design ethos (if I were an actual game developer) to start with a concept underpowered, then adjust up if something can be proven to be too weak. Better to do that than start overpowered and scale back. So I realize it looks a bit ridiculously weak at face value, but at the same time--beyond simple game balance--I wanted to make it a real sacrifice of physical skill in exchange for mental prowess. The question is whether the mental gains are worth it. For a regular Mystic OCC I would say undoubtedly it's worthwhile (because Mystic has one of the smallest starting PPE/ISP pools). But for other magic/psychic classes with inherently larger pools and better gains per level up, maybe not.

I guess I could sweeten the pot by replacing one of the level bonuses with a +1 to spell power, for instance. Best place to insert that would be level 7, replacing the almost worthless +1 to strike. At level 12 I could replace the other strike bonus, and instead put +1 to magic and/or psionic defense; maybe make it player's choice, since offering a bonus to both seems excessive.
MyDumpStatIsMA
Explorer

I'd just like to point out that Tai-Chi Ch'uan (the martial art, not the standalone skill) from Ninjas and Superspies grants a Chi/ISP doubling for a total of 4 times. Granted, Ninjas isn't a bastion of game balance; but still, a precedent does exist. It's also the weakest martial art in terms of special move variety and overall combat bonuses, so it fits the general theme I'm going for, where you get mental boosts in exchange for relative physical neglect.

I think doubling PPE and ISP once, along with the final 10% boost, is still balanced by Rifts standards. A Mystic will end up with about 230-50 PPE at level 15, while a Ley Line Walker will have close to 500, on average. If the doubling would be allowed even one more time, things would quickly become ridiculous.

I could eliminate the final 10% boost and instead offer an immediate +25 (or something) to PPE or ISP; another concept borrowed from Tai-Chi. It'd be less profitable for LLWs and proper mages, but more profitable for the Mystic.

Return to “Rifts®”