Dark Elves

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AllMightyRCB
Wanderer

Dark Elves

Unread post by AllMightyRCB »

Are Dark Elves in any Rifts book?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

nope. Evil elves likely, Dark Skinned ones. . . not to my knowlage.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
bigwhitehound

Dark Elves

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

Check out Kitsune's palladium pages for Dark Elves.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:
Basilisk wrote:Damn, ever since Gary Gygax came up with the drow elves...

A quick footnote:
He didn't. He stole the idea from Norse mythology.
In their mythology, though, elves & dwarves are frequently confused with each other.

And the word "drow" is derived from the word "trow".
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

At Kitsune's website their is a write up.
Princedarkstorm
Warborn

Unread post by Guest »

I've seen more then enough of my share of homebrewed ones. :-?

Why can't people be happy with the regular ones?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I prefer the concept of 40K and WHF's Dark Elves/Eldar just being a dominantly evil 'sect' of Elves/Eldar.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Just make an elf, and say he comes from a branch of elves with "dark" skin. Problem Solved. 8-)
:fool:
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Kreuzritter Puuh wrote:
Res Sin Kai wrote:I've seen more then enough of my share of homebrewed ones. :-?

they just read the lastest drow novel Salvatore has churned out and want to be Drizzt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

30 Ha-Ha Points.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Kreuzritter Puuh wrote:
Res Sin Kai wrote:I've seen more then enough of my share of homebrewed ones. :-?

they just read the lastest drow novel Salvatore has churned out and want to be Drizzt.
Drizzt Do who are them? :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

There are dark elves. stats the same as regular eleves. just like dark and light skinned humans have exsactly the same stats :P

Racist aginst drow I tell ya...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:

A quick footnote:
In their mythology, though, elves & dwarves are frequently confused with each other.
I think they probably knew who were Elves and who were Dwarfs, its the Christians who could not be bothered to keep things straight
冠双
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Dark elves yea their just evil elves in rifts that works fine.
DhAkael
Knight

Re: Dark Elves

Unread post by DhAkael »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:
AllMightyRCB wrote:Are Dark Elves in any Rifts book?

That would be too much influence from D&D.

Much as I hate the game, D&D did have nifty races & monsters.
So don't be hating to strong...it's because of D&D you got Palladium fantasy :P

And what's so wrong about using the 'dark elves' as direct conversions?
Hmmmm?
Aside from stupid yankee copyright laws...
I swear..more lawyers than brains...
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Dear god I hope not. I'm having enough trouble killing off the normal elves. :D

Be true.
Be Human.
Kill Elves.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

DhAkael wrote:
C.R.A.F.T. wrote:

They did. Drow NOT being one of the better ones. Why? Because every player and their grandma want to play a Drow (a dark elf, twisted by magics), and hey, guess what....he's a lawful Good drow? WHAT?! PLAY AN ELF!!! Freaking munchkins!!!!! Show some originality! Seriously, in all my years playing D&D I've never seen a character generation party where at least one, if not more people, asked to play Drow.

I'm a D&D fan as much as I'm a palladium fan (Warforged rule!).

As for the original poster, as stated, there are versions in patheons and in phase world sourcebook 2 (I think) or you can play an elf with dark skin, nothing says you can't.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Dark Brandon wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
C.R.A.F.T. wrote:

They did. Drow NOT being one of the better ones. Why? Because every player and their grandma want to play a Drow (a dark elf, twisted by magics), and hey, guess what....he's a lawful Good drow? WHAT?! PLAY AN ELF!!! Freaking munchkins!!!!! Show some originality! Seriously, in all my years playing D&D I've never seen a character generation party where at least one, if not more people, asked to play Drow.

As for the original poster, as stated, there are versions in patheons and in phase world sourcebook 2 (I think) or you can play an elf with dark skin, nothing says you can't.

:ok:

And people wonder why I'm so violently opposed to elves of any kind.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Danger wrote:
Dark Brandon wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
C.R.A.F.T. wrote:

:ok:

And people wonder why I'm so violently opposed to elves of any kind.

*Happy dance*
Oh goody! Another thread that never ends due to conflicting viewpoints :demon:
Heh...I have Dark Elves in my game..one thing; they are NOT good. The best they ever become is anrachist, with any "good" seeming ones being abberant :D
To give 'em some flavour (and more workable NPC status) they are based loosely on the descriptions given in the D20 'Dragonstar' series.
You want an infiltration expert? Send in the Drow.
Want information extracted in the old-fashioned way, but have the "subject" undamaged (at least visably)? Use a Drow female! Best interrogators in the megaverse that don't use psionics.
Need that governor silenced? A dark elf assassin should be able to do the trick!

The Dark Covens of the UWW, and some of the 'fringe' memebers of the UWW proper have a few of these rare and elusive Elves.
Heck, the TGE has their silhouettes, why cant the UWW have something just as good (or bad as the case may be)?:P :P :ok:

Not that Human (or humanlike) experts in these fields can't do the same job; they just don't have the "style" :P

Leaves of the lotus rise

dark brandon
Knight

DhAkael wrote:*Happy dance*
Heh...I have Dark Elves in my game..one thing; they are NOT good. The best they ever become is anrachist, with any "good" seeming ones being abberant :D
To give 'em some flavour (and more workable NPC status) they are based loosely on the descriptions given in the D20 'Dragonstar' series.
Want information extracted in the old-fashioned way, but have the "subject" undamaged (at least visably)? Use a Drow female! Best interrogators in the megaverse that don't use psionics.
Need that governor silenced? A dark elf assassin should be able to do the trick!

The Dark Covens of the UWW, and some of the 'fringe' memebers of the UWW proper have a few of these rare and elusive Elves.
Heck, the TGE has their silhouettes, why cant the UWW have something just as good (or bad as the case may be)?:P :P :ok:

Not that Human (or humanlike) experts in these fields can't do the same job; they just don't have the "style" :P

No.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

After seeing the cover of World Book Atlantis, I just assumed that elves in the Palladium game systems could have any of the ethnic, and racial characteristics that a normal human could. The elf on the cover of the book appears to be African-American, or just African.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Dark Brandon wrote:

No.

:bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon:

Leaves of the lotus rise

dark brandon
Knight

DhAkael wrote:
Dark Brandon wrote:

No.

:bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon: :bandit: :P ;) :D :ok: :demon:

No, as in...lets not hijack this thread with posts like this. If you want to talk about dark elves, you can always start another thread.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

[/quote]

No, as in...lets not hijack this thread with posts like this. If you want to talk about dark elves, you can always start another thread.[/quote]

Oh...okay then!

Leaves of the lotus rise

Unread post by Guest »

Kreuzritter Puuh wrote:

Yeah. I've played in a group with a guy who loves to make characters based off of movies and books he's read. Devil May Cry 3, Tri-Gun, Vampire Hunter D, Blade, Yuyu Hakashu, YuGiOh, that acurse-ed Drow Drizzt, ect.

The shadowmeld that usually ties with them. It's the reason I hate the spell. Because no one can intelligently conceive the difference between shade, a cloudy day, and a real shadow.

"Is the sun out?" - Drow PC
"No, it's covered by a cloud" - GM
"Good, sunlight hurts me. I shadowmeld in place where I stand." - Drow PC

:-?

This happened in a game I played in once. That was it for me.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

there are plenty of races that qualify as "Drow" type races. As people mentioned - Silhouette fit this role nicely

Another such race are the Darrakhans, Shissans, Alutans, Managars and Swips from Aliens Unlimited.

then there's the Cartyrs from PW that also fit the role...

so really, you don't need em. ...
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The radiation in the "Vault of the Drow" might have an effect of "burning" the skin of the Drow. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Lorkinas wrote:Fully subterian races would be exceptionly pale, but the dark elves are not totally exclusive in caves or other subterian area's. They travel quite a bit at night, moonlight will still effect the pigmitation of the skin even though its not sunlight.

Besides alot of creatures in biology color is that of its surroundings so it wouldnt be to far of a jump if a humanoid race skin takes on a darker color to better allow them to be unseen in there natural enviroment.

Take a look at the link, I think the creator did a wonderfull job of explaing the dark elf, i beleave there is a back story of them as well.
Yea, or maybe they just wanted them to look cool. :P
:fool:
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:

A quick footnote:

That is largely correct, however in many cases they aren't merely confused with one another, they are used interchangeably. It depends on who the storyteller/source was. That, and that some of what we have on the subject is fragmentary, and that the authors were looking back into a rapidly fading age.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Dark Brandon wrote:If you want to talk about dark elves, you can always start another thread.

Uh, this is already a topic about dark elves.

(Although I agree completely about avoiding responses that are nothing but endless strings of smileys.)
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
dark brandon
Knight

RainOfSteel wrote:
Dark Brandon wrote:If you want to talk about dark elves, you can always start another thread.

(Although I agree completely about avoiding responses that are nothing but endless strings of smileys.)

the poster just wanted to know about rift's dark elves and if there are any.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Dark Brandon wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

the poster just wanted to know about rift's dark elves and if there are any.

Oh, sorry.

The title of the topic is Dark Elves, so I just sort of assumed that it was meant to cover all Dark Elf subjects.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Lorkinas wrote:Gary Gyax did not create dark elves, he derived this from the legends of the fall of avalon.

May I ask which legend you are referring to?

Return to “Rifts®”