CS special forces with no camouflage?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

CS special forces with no camouflage?

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Does anyone find it odd that the CS Special Forces starts out with no camouflage or detect concealment skills? I would think that if I was hanging out behind enemy lines all the time that I would have some type of skill like detect concealment or camouflage?
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

So comparing the CS Commando to the CS Special Forces is like comparing apples to oranges. They both do the same thing.

The CS Special Forces is the CS Commando with a little extra skills.

The CS Ranger does all the Sneaking.

The CS Commando does what the CS Special Forces do, but they do not have the benefit of all that extra training.

Correct?
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

ive never understood the real difference between CS Special Forces and CS Commandos myself.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:ive never understood the real difference between CS Special Forces and CS Commandos myself.

Well, I don't have my books and I don't recall their skill selections offhand, but I always pictured the commandos as being more straight up combat oriented, as compared to special forces being "complex task" oriented, and Rangers being steath/scouting oriented. On most "Special Forces" missions, you'd probably want a mix of all three in the squad.

PigLick
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

From what I was reading in CWC the Coalition Special Forces is a cross between the Ranger and The Commando
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

(SHIFTY) wrote:From what I was reading in CWC the Coalition Special Forces is a cross between the Ranger and The Commando

Yep.
Nothing stops you from buying skills, either...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Re: The differences

Unread post by Rex »

MorganKeyes wrote:The CS Commandos should be the equivilent of Rangers

The CS Special Forces should be the equivilent of,...well, Special Forces

And the CS Rangers should be the equivilent of Long Range Survelliance Detachments (ie., division and corps scouts)

Thats pretty much how I always understood them.

I also felt the SF OCC should have the OCC skill of Pilot: Jetpack, since they all get one.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Rex wrote:
MorganKeyes wrote:The CS Commandos should be the equivilent of Rangers

The CS Special Forces should be the equivilent of,...well, Special Forces

And the CS Rangers should be the equivilent of Long Range Survelliance Detachments (ie., division and corps scouts)

Thats pretty much how I always understood them.

I also felt the SF OCC should have the OCC skill of Pilot: Jetpack, since they all get one.

Yep, my revision of the CS SpecOps has that, along with a few other changes. The revisions can be seen over at NexusNine under the "Military Outpost" forum; "CS Armed Forces" thread.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

This is how I play them as a GM ..

CS Comandoes = Shock an awe style troops .. thier the ones who are called upon when the CS does not want to instigate a full fleged war .

CS Special Forces = More of a refined go in get objective get out with out knowing anyone is really there ...

CS Rangers = Intel Gatherer's . Thier the main support of BOTH the CS SF as well as the CS Com.

In a pinch as I've played them in the past when it comes time for actual invasions of certain area's by the CS the Rangers will actually play a more inportent part of the invasion then anyone else .. It is after all thier job to gather all available intell on the objective as well as any pertinent info on enemies of the State ..
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

K20A2_S wrote:Dustin, do you still have this up there?
Fortunately I have a MS file saved for it

It's a really great write up and recommend anyone running a Special Forces CS campaign to use this OCC write up instead.

The only other thing I added to it were the OCC bonuses that the Wilderneess scout gets of 1d4 added to PS and PE along with perception bonus b/c the Special Forces guys should get those.

Yeah -
http://forums.nexusnine.net/ikonboard.c ... ST;f=5;t=1

Made a minor change that I had forgot to do as well to bump it up.

Return to “Rifts®”