Your favorite season of Robotech

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which is your favorite section (listed by sub-anime in short name form) of Robotech?

Macross
35%
Southern Cross
19%
Mospeada
19%
Tank Police (ie: I haven't seen enough Robotech to decide)
No votes
I like all three arcs equally.
24%
No, really, Tank Police
3%

Total votes: 37

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I've seen only the basic 3 episodes, so I can't tell zilch about Macross II, plus, 7, or whatever... and I really have a hard time deciding whether I like Macross or Mospeada best
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Mospeada.

Though New Generation will do in a pinch.

What?
Svartalf
Champion

Cyclone wrote:Mospeada.

What?

aren't the two one and the same?

are you jokin' or what?
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

Voted for macross as I have only seen the last 35 episodes once.

Macross plus is also my favourite macross related anime.

macross II was OK and I have yet to see macross 7.

I'm trying to get through my Robotech DVDs, where I am up to episode 16. then I will move onto the Original Macross series with japanese subtitles. then I will get ASC in the original Japanese as well as Genisis climber. oh the fu of it all.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

It was a hard choice between Macross & Mospeada, but in the end, I like the characters in Macross better.

Macross!!!
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

There are several Diffrent things i like about Robotech.

New Gen has soem of the best Mecha, especially he Cyclone.

Southren Cross has the most Epic Storyline,The Fight with the master is a intense head to head strugle to save the earth, Singing to defeat an enemy just dosent make me think epic.. makes me thing pokemon... only dumber.

I think the Characters in all 3 Generation are Sympathizer Scum, Maxx marrys a Butch Alien chick to hide his lust for Rick hunter (or was it ben), the the SDF-1 joins forces with the Aliens. (not to mention the whole Disable the enemy stunt)
Louie and Dana for wanting to destroy UEG property b/c they got a new weapon to fight the enemy with.
then Scott and Company for letting the Regsis escape... a Violation of a Direct order.. and he did Areil (Marlean) not to mention Lancer destroying REf property.

Only Zore Prime has the Guts and man hood to Kick everyones Tail, Save the Earth and Damn it at the same time.

my Vote is for the ASC era, but i'd vote for the Invid era as well.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Well my vote was for the New Generation/MOSPEADA.

The characters, in my opinion are far more interesting and better rounded than Southern Cross and only slightly more than Macross. The Mecha by far are the most visually interesting and well implemented on screen (again, Macross comes in only slightly behind).
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Macross, but only because it hooked me to the series and had a better story than MOSPEDA.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Southern Cross, of course. Mospeada is good but Macross is bland.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

I picked Macross and only because Robotech is a horrible rip off of the Japanese Series that was Macross.

((Remember that Robotech is pretty much an american made amalagation of three anime series.))
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I picked Macross and only because Robotech is a horrible rip off of the Japanese Series that was Macross.

((Remember that Robotech is pretty much an american made amalagation of three anime series.))

Well that's pretty much THE reason why I personally like Robotech. Given the time restrictions, and limited funds, Carl Macek and his extremely talented team at Harmony Gold worked their tails off turning the 3 disparate original Japanese series into Robotech. Often they were only a couple of episodes ahead of their first run broadcast.

Now, I'm not saying that each separate anime couldn't have succeded by themselves, as originally written. But I think it's a mark of genuine creativity to rework those stories into Robotech. Now I'm not a fool, the marketing and financial implications for HG having a very limited run animated series, made the production of the 85 episodes of RT much more lucarative. It still doesn't lessen the creativity and hard work that went into making a (for the most part) a continuous story.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Svartalf
Champion

It looks like Southern Cross is definitely a minority preference.

As for me, there are 2 main reasons for my liking it less than the other 2
a) the way it got obviously and seriously mangled by the macek treatment... dialogues and relationships and what not were so heavily redone (and at time obviously so, heck, Dana Sterling as a BLONDE?) to ensure some pseudo "continuity" with the other two that I just kept getting pulled off the thing... Some day, I might become a rabid fan of Jeanne Francais, Lana Isavia, Marie Angel, Claude Leon and their crews, I never will like very much "Dana Sterling", "Nova Satori", "Marie Crystal" or "Anatole Leonard"

b) I don't know if the RT/SC ending was changed as compared with the original, but I found it a major letdown... nearly as bad as that of UFO Robot Grendizer...
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Svartalf wrote:It looks like Southern Cross is definitely a minority preference.

As for me, there are 2 main reasons for my liking it less than the other 2
a) the way it got obviously and seriously mangled by the macek treatment... dialogues and relationships and what not were so heavily redone (and at time obviously so, heck, Dana Sterling as a BLONDE?) to ensure some pseudo "continuity" with the other two that I just kept getting pulled off the thing... Some day, I might become a rabid fan of Jeanne Francais, Lana Isavia, Marie Angel, Claude Leon and their crews, I never will like very much "Dana Sterling", "Nova Satori", "Marie Crystal" or "Anatole Leonard"

b) I don't know if the RT/SC ending was changed as compared with the original, but I found it a major letdown... nearly as bad as that of UFO Robot Grendizer...

Dosent seam the Minority, 7-5-5 (as of this post)

Okay, ever though Dana Dyed her hair? or her hair color Changed?

when i was 6months old i Was a Blonde haired... now its a nice Brown color. Maybe the Mixing of the 2 Genetic Lines caused her hair to Come out Blue/green then Change later in life.

My Idea is she Dyed her Hair, Just to help her Fin in better and not stick out like a half-n-half Freak that she was.

It was Worse in the Origonal Series, The Spores Make the Native Populous Sterile, Just like the Invading Zor. the 3 pods of "Protoculture" in the Masters mother ship was actually the 3 last remaining untainted Clone bodies the Zor had. The Zor in the Origonal Series were a bit more Ambivalent then the Masters were in Robotech.

and its Eli Leonard.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Svartalf wrote:
Cyclone wrote:Mospeada.

What?

aren't the two one and the same?

are you jokin' or what?

No, serious.

I like Mospeada background and plot better, where I feel New Gen is weighed down by characters and history I can't even bring myself to care about, the whole expectation of the SDF-3/Hunter for example arriving for example.
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

I like the down/not-so-great ending for the Second Generation. So many shows and movies (ie: 99.99999% of them) will have the heros save the day and survive, regardless of how badly the odds are stacked against them.

I like the way Robotech handled it by saying that yes, the ASC beat back the Masters and held them to a standstill... but they couldn't even begin to fathom the sort of holy rage that the Invid would rain down on them. They won the battle, but lost the war. No other show or movie that I think of right now has done that.
Svartalf
Champion

Cyclone wrote:[No, serious.

I like Mospeada background and plot better, where I feel New Gen is weighed down by characters and history I can't even bring myself to care about, the whole expectation of the SDF-3/Hunter for example arriving for example.

You mean you prefer the original MOSPEADA to the RT version? Ok, I understand, and may well agree if someday I am exposed to it...
Like for ASC, I find the artificial RT tie ins bothersome, though well within the tolerable range.
Svartalf
Champion

Lt. Holmes wrote:I like the down/not-so-great ending for the Second Generation. So many shows and movies (ie: 99.99999% of them) will have the heros save the day and survive, regardless of how badly the odds are stacked against them.

I like the way Robotech handled it by saying that yes, the ASC beat back the Masters and held them to a standstill... but they couldn't even begin to fathom the sort of holy rage that the Invid would rain down on them. They won the battle, but lost the war. No other show or movie that I think of right now has done that.

To be precise, it wasn't the death of Zor (or whatever his original name) that bothered me... more like it looked like a cliffhanger ending. To me it almost felt like there ought to be another episode behind to wrap up and give a proper closing.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I thought that there were about 20 unseen episodes of Southern Cross.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Jefffar wrote:I thought that there were about 20 unseen episodes of Southern Cross.

No. It was originally planned to be at least 36 episodes. When it didn't live up the hype that was generated, they decided to wrap up the story early.

To me it almost felt like there ought to be another episode behind to wrap up and give a proper closing.

No, its pretty cut and dried. Seiffreit (Zor Prime in Robotech) blew up the Zor city-ship over the greenhouses and the Proto-Zor spread into the wind. Basically, he doomed the colonists on Glorie to either eternal slavery to the Proto-Zor (by merging) or ceaseless war with the remaining Zor Lords. It most certainly did not end on a happy note (as posited by Keith from MacrossWorld).
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Hey where is Robotech II on the list?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Hey where is Robotech II on the list?

3 episodes make not a Section. (neither dose a hacked up Convention Version.... trust me that was aweful)
Svartalf
Champion

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Jefffar wrote:I thought that there were about 20 unseen episodes of Southern Cross.

No. It was originally planned to be at least 36 episodes. When it didn't live up the hype that was generated, they decided to wrap up the story early.

To me it almost felt like there ought to be another episode behind to wrap up and give a proper closing.

No, its pretty cut and dried. Seiffreit (Zor Prime in Robotech) blew up the Zor city-ship over the greenhouses and the Proto-Zor spread into the wind. Basically, he doomed the colonists on Glorie to either eternal slavery to the Proto-Zor (by merging) or ceaseless war with the remaining Zor Lords. It most certainly did not end on a happy note (as posited by Keith from MacrossWorld).

who did the cutting? I suppose you mean Tatsunoko, but I'd like to be sure.

oh, gosh, you mean the original end was even worse than the RT one? nice...
Fat_Ninja
D-Bee
Comment: Quando omni flunkus moritati

Unread post by Fat_Ninja »

I went with Southern Cross, myself.

I had the FHE tapes of Macross in college, and even turned a couple of people onto the series just from those.

I don't really know why I like Southern Cross better than the other two. Maybe because the obligatory, obnoxious, loud-mouthed, "I wish she was dead" archetype actually fought? No idea.

I would have chosen Macross II, though. MAN! So fast and visually syunning that my eyes water. Gotta love that.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”