Once again, I've stumbled across something odd (Macross)

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Once again, I've stumbled across something odd (Macross)

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

[quote="Zerebus"]So once again my "research" for my AARD stuff leads me to an unusual website, but I'm going to just point at one particular page for the moment:

http://alanmccain.topcities.com/uniform ... niform.htm

Ok, now scroll down to the bottom. Can someone tell me where in God's name those two marriage images came from?! I sure don't remember that from Macross: DYRL, so I'm darned curious. Macross Flashback? Macross 7? I wanna know!

I think its DYRL:
the pic title is
http://alanmccain.topcities.com/uniform ... ss_un2.jpg

maybe MDYRL means Macross: do you remember love.... alot of the pics look likt they are fomr the movie... red and Blue Queddle-ral PAs, ect.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Zerebus wrote:If it's from the movie, then the holes in my memory are bigger than I thought.

I saw it as "Clash of the Bionoids"
Last edited by Colonel Wolfe on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zerebus wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Zerebus wrote:If it's from the movie, then the holes in my memory are bigger than I thought.

Yes, but the comedy version of Macross: DYRL aside, I've seen the full, uncut version in Japanese. I don't remember that scene. Max and Miria fighting together in FPA's I remember, but getting to the actual marriage, I don't.

i cant find any source for the picture... looked on google for the last 20 minutes.... but its in many places on macross sites...
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

if you felt like ti... you could ask over at Macross world...
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zerebus wrote:No, I've wasted enough time. I'll just check back here in 24 hours, after the real Macross fans/freaks of this forum have had a chance to log on and peruse my find.

I was told its the Macross 7 Flashback of the wedding... but cant confirm
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I second that but it could also be Macross: Do you remember love.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Ice Dragon wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I second that but it could also be Macross: Do you remember love.

Clash of the Bionoids is DYRL... heavily Edited.. and baddly Dubbed.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

"yes, to Basara you listen......."

:D

no little green muppets were harmed in this parody.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

AlexanderDeath wrote: there is only so much I can take of Basara sometimes. :shock:

What's this "sometimes" that you speak of? :?

AlexanderDeath wrote:Besides, im just now finishing off the last of the Macross Zero DVD's I got - wanna see some odd mecha? then look there, shesh.

What? You mean the mecha that's 30+ years too advanced for the timeperiod the series is set in? The mecha that are called "limited edition" but have an ungodly amount of backup and support materials?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lt. Holmes wrote:
AlexanderDeath wrote:Besides, im just now finishing off the last of the Macross Zero DVD's I got - wanna see some odd mecha? then look there, shesh.

What? You mean the mecha that's 30+ years too advanced for the timeperiod the series is set in? The mecha that are called "limited edition" but have an ungodly amount of backup and support materials?

Comeon, Macross is suffering fomr the Lucas effect... everything in the pas has to look Light years ahead of its time.
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/zero/
the "Destroid Cheyenne" Looks a heckof alot Like the Japanesse Battletech Designs.
the "Octos" Looks Like something the Zentradie would use.
Kawamori & Crew have went overboard with the VF-1 look to the mecha, The Technology never gets any smaller in macross, but you can add a nice Speaker system
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Tetsuya wrote: so of course it looks like a VF-1 and is just as cool.

The Court is still out on the Whole "Coolness" of the Macross VF's
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zerebus wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Tetsuya wrote: so of course it looks like a VF-1 and is just as cool.

The Court is still out on the Whole "Coolness" of the Macross VF's

No, that's the Appeals Court. The other Courts have already ruled in favor of the coolness.

only in Japan. B/C if they were sooo "Cool" tommy yunn would write eveyr comic in the macross ear............

I hate Tommy Yunn.
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Tetsuya wrote:keep in mind it isnt "years" before the Orig. Macross series.

as of Macross Zero, the VF-1 is already finished - except the fusion turbines - which is why they are using the slightly larger VF-0. the VF-0 is essentially VF-1 built around regular thrusters.. so of course it looks like a VF-1 and is just as cool.

Then why does the VF-0 resemble so many of Kawamori's Advance Valkyrie mecha? The VF-0 is designed like all his 2040-era mecha and doesn't fit well with the established mecha of the plot's timeperiod.

Tetsuya wrote:the only thing about the VF-0 that ret-cons is the Virtual Environment Cockpit, everything else is just about spot-on.

And in looks, styling, SWAG armour...

Tetsuya wrote:*any* Macross Variable Fighter is more attractive than any of the ugly birck mecha in SC or Mospeada.

Actually, I prefer that about SC and Mospeada. Function over form. The Robotech mecha (for lack of a better overall term) look clunky and believable for ass-kicking mecha, not aethsetically pleasing contraptions that look like they shouldn't be in any military.

Then again, I'm a firm believer in that the Macross mecha are the definition of "munchkin toys" and more or less refuse to have anything to do with them in my RP games.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Tetsuya wrote:*any* Macross Variable Fighter is more attractive than any of the ugly birck mecha in SC or Mospeada.

I didnt notice this until just now....
I'll take the UEF & REF designs over anything from Macross. Macross Technology stays about the Same size for 70 years... and they only face one type of enemy, Zetran and the Variants of the Zetran... The Masters would Desimate the Forces of Macross.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Actually, Alex, without Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada, Robotech would not exist. And for that matter, Macross wouldnt have been aired on US Television.

I have to agree that Macross has almost become a parody of itself in terms of sheer stupidity of firepower. Then there is the little matter of the dumbest mecha ever created: the Storm Attacker Mode of the SDF-1. Nothing sums up dorkiness like a transforming warship. Its only beaten out by the Battle 7 in terms of dunce design.
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:I have to agree that Macross has almost become a parody of itself in terms of sheer stupidity of firepower. Then there is the little matter of the dumbest mecha ever created: the Storm Attacker Mode of the SDF-1. Nothing sums up dorkiness like a transforming warship. Its only beaten out by the Battle 7 in terms of dunce design.

Listen to Rabid, for he speakeths the trutheth.

Every incarnation of Macross has been about how many munchy toys can they cram into the mecha, not how "realistic" it is or how believable it is in the constraints of the universe as a whole. Just look at how many gadgets and gizmos they packed into the YF-19/21, or even better, look at how they retconned the VF-1 for DYRL. It went from carrying 12 missles to being able to pack nearly 60, and that's not counting the super armour, which would add another 60 on top of that.

The Storm Attacker mode of the SDF-1 is pushing things pretty far, but as Rabid says, the Battle 7 is just... ugh. There are no other words to describe except as such. A giant transforming ship? Not the greatest, but I can go with it (as the SDF-1 was described as being modular in nature), but making it so the main gun is in a rifle-like pod and that the ship has fingers? No, thanks. That's where I get off the bandwagon and say, "This is just too stupid for me".

And that's not even getting into the absurdity that is the Stampeed or VF-19 Kai. Much ugheth.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:I have to agree that Macross has almost become a parody of itself in terms of sheer stupidity of firepower. Then there is the little matter of the dumbest mecha ever created: the Storm Attacker Mode of the SDF-1. Nothing sums up dorkiness like a transforming warship. Its only beaten out by the Battle 7 in terms of dunce design.

Rabid.. how is This Stupid?
Everyone needs a Pumping Speaker system on their Mecha, Ropbotech is Stupid for not Inclusing such awesoem designs, and The Protodevlin. i mean once the enemy has Variable Fighters, then its Even more Cool!!!
Transforming Space Ships are the Coolest too!!!!
Macross would have been much better in the US w/o the Whole Robotech tagline... i'm sure some Brocast company would have picked up a 36 Episode Cartoon... and they should have let it in Japanesse too, and Subed it... so the Target audience for American cartoons would nto be abel to read it....

Awesome Speaker Systems.. Trans-forming Ships.... all they needed was a Transfroming Planet and Macross would have been half as Cool as Transformers.
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

AlexanderDeath wrote:You do realise that the "Storm Attacker" Mode was a mistake in design right? It only got that name -after- they realised the utility of it. Origonally, according to the tech specs from 4 or 5 sources like Animerica and Graphity, it was the maintenance mode of the SDF-1, but when the primary power coplings where damaged, they realised they could reroute the power feeds for the main gun to be able to fire - I'd say thats a pretty important neccessity.

Yep, that's why I said it was acceptable :)

AlexanderDeath wrote:Why do it for Macross 7? Cause it inspires the people to think of the origonal Macross, and on a colony ship of hundreds of thousands of people, far away from the only home they have known, besiged by Aliens and worse, icons like that become imporant.

No, I firmly believe that it has everything to do with the levels of absudity that is Macross 7 and how everything must transform in the Macross universe.

AlexanderDeath wrote:As for the munchy toys and speaker system, then I have the trump card of them all for you: The Synchro Cannon.
You wanna get munchy? Then why is Tommy Yune allowing for the instillation of one on the Beta? Why would he make one smaller then a starship mounted Cannon? Or Perhapse we are just missreading the damage potential of the thing - reguardless, its obviously way munchy powered. OR gee, how about the Nutron S missiles, hmmmm?

I'll grant you that I'm rather suspicious of that Synchro-mounted Beta Fighter, and I hope it's not nearly as munchy as it sounds. Otherwise I'd have to beat on it like I do the Macross mecha and I don't want to do that to my beloved Robotech (alas, standards MUST be adhered to, so I'd have little choice in that case).

AlexanderDeath wrote:Least the Speaker System had a point to it - Spirita depends on Harmonics to effect its target, and its roughly based on other legends of earths real past like Sirines, Pan and the Basilisk (yes, the basilisk would croon like a nighten gale, or so the story says, to lure in its prey) - and it explains just why Minmei's song had such a catostrophic effect on the Zentraedi - not just from the culture shock.

*twitch twitch twitch*
Thus beginning Macross' trend towards superhumans and how only "special" people can make diference in the great scheme of things.

But I think we should leave this thread as is right now, since we're liable to get the mods involved if it devolves into the shouting matches that generally occur on RT.com :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

oh? the Synchro Canon? the only Source that places it on par with star ship-level weapons is... Palladium. The Reality of the Synchro canon is only as poweful as an Artillry Piece. In the Origonal Mospeda, the Shoulder Canon on the "Shadow Alpha" was a Synchro cannon.
Neutron-s Missiles... they're about 7 Miles across? if your not Familier with some of the Theorys, but the Asteroid that Hit the Earth and effectivel killed the dinosaurs off was all or 5 Miles across when it hit the earth surface. Just Crashing them in to the Surface of the Planet would be enough to Wipe out 90% of the Life on earth.

WTH is Spirta?
and Harmonics in Space?
Sound in Space?
Maybe Macross needs to rethink the Whole Airless Vacume of Space.

Perhaps the "Guru" can explain how the use of Speakers in Space to Transfer sound works?
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:WTH is Spirta?
and Harmonics in Space?
Sound in Space?
Maybe Macross needs to rethink the Whole Airless Vacume of Space.

Perhaps the "Guru" can explain how the use of Speakers in Space to Transfer sound works?

Do you mean the Minmei defense? I thought they just broadcast it on all communication channels.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Yet more evidence that the comics are so full of #$#@! that its not funny. The fact that this was taken from the McKinney novel's interpretation further reinforces my belief that Macek must have passed some whacked out notes to Daley and Luceno for them to come up with the conclusion that the Bioroid is a noncombat mecha. Police mecha my arse.....
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I thought it was a great image Zerebus :D keep posting them.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

JLS: No offense intended, but what was the deal with Star Runners: Carpenter¹s Journey? The promotional artwork that appeared in the inside back cover of all Academy titles showed Carpenter as he appeared in the Sentinels series, but in the actual book he appeared as he does in the Robotech TV episode ³Outsiders². All of the uniforms are suddenly like those in the TV episode as well, while the men and women who entered the ship in Sentinels were wearing standard REF attire.
JW: No offense taken. The promotional artwork for Star Runners was done before we obtained a copy of the "Outsiders" episode to use as reference.

Wow... They were doing Comicsfor the Show, but had Never Watched the Episodes concerning the Chracters they include... This makes me want to run out and hunt these devils up.... and burn them.
NoJack
Explorer

Unread post by NoJack »

Hey, never mind that, someone said something about amcross Zero DVD's... where can I get em? Let me know... I was getting them off the net as they aired in Japan, and then I moved... no more highspeed. My 3rd one was subbed in portugese (I watched it anyway) That is a breed of gian robot a$$-kicking apart from the rest.
Dude... It's a tall guy dressed in black, with a weird, glowy weapon thing, and we're a couple of guards in matching shiny armor...

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”