Where does Rifts rank?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Where does Rifts rank among your favorite RPGs?

First--the only one I play
9%
First--among many.
32%
Top 3
37%
Top 5
8%
Top 10
9%
I despise most everything about it, yet here I am.
5%
Why am I even here?
1%

Total votes: 79

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Palladium Games are first. I use them all as Rifts Dimensions. If I want to play a RT game then it is RT (which was my first). TSR used to be my second but with the coming of the WoC and then Hasbro it has been religated to a class akin to leprocy (sp?). I still play the older no longer produced games though. R. Talsorian is second now and was tied with TSR. I hope your not actually looking for an incomplete list of my gaming experience...are you?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I'm addicted to Rifts, but the many, many problems with the system have given me a Clockwork Orange style aversion to the game.
I still love the setting, but I can't bring myself to play/run it anymore.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Another 'punker here....

So, how are we chombattas?

;)

BTW, have you guys checked out the news on the R.Tal boards??
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

1 D&D 3.5. Love the rules. Easy to find players and I love the FR background.

2. Hero System One of the best systems out there. Allows you do everything and all the rules needed are in the main rule book.

3. None now but probably either Earthdawn or Torg 2.0.

With Palladium ranking a 8 or 9.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Let's see.

Amber DRPG
Shadowrun
HU2
Mage: The Ascension
Demon: The Fallen
Marvel Super Heroes
Champions
Rifts
D&D 3rd Edition
Cyberpunk

Can't think of anything else. That's in order from my fav to my least. There's a few I haven't played that I want to though(other games not on the list). Only reason why 3rd edition is there is because it's easy to get a game going, even though I think WotC did a crappy job on it.

I'm hoping more stuff comes out for Amber. Phage Press sold it off, so maybe the new owners will get some new books out one of these days.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Tricky.....

1) Robotech: The only system that I can see where MDC works as it should, the skills list doesn't take up half the book, and the only one where the palladium combat system seems to work at all. My favourite because it all does work as it's supposed to and you can still tell a good story with it!

2) Rifts: For all that we complain about it, It ranks at #2 for the post-post-apocolyptic storyline, and the magic/technology combinations. You can pull nearly any genre from here and it's still a great yarn. I love it, even if it has now outgrown the rules it began with and has become a slavering beast, consuming GMs and Players alike in it's tangle of 'uh, which rule are we playing tonight' questions.

3) Heroes Unlimited. Love it. Utterly and completely love it. Powers unlimited #1 and #2 just improved on a great game. You have to overlook some things (as you have to in all RPGs!) but it's awesome and I'd have to say that it switches places with Robotech on regular occasions.

4) Just to show I'm not a total Palladium junkie, my two other favourites are Godlike (unfortunately not everyone is a superhero and a WWII junkie like myself and no-one wants to be bored by history lectures. This one has stayed on the shelf a whiles, alas), The Red Dwarf RPG (I love the simplicity of the character creation and the playing system. It's quite clever really, you could even adapt Rifts to it if you wanted to), and Nobilus (Nobilus is best played after several drinks of your favourite alcoholic beverage. It enhances the playability and turns their version of the GM, 'the hollyhock god' into something rather tongue-twisting that you just end up giggling about rather a lot without being entirely able to pronounce. Having said that, when sober, it's a rather good game, although a little confusing in it's 'diceless' mechanics).
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Zachary The First wrote:
CyCo wrote:Another 'punker here....

So, how are we chombattas?

;)

BTW, have you guys checked out the news on the R.Tal boards??

Man, I haven't been over that way in some time.... all well & good in Tal-land?

They're still using their old threaded bbs from years ago. Most of the posts tend to lack substance. But then, there hasn't been any new material put out for CP2020 in years.

But, they are starting to make some noise about CP.v3. It's been some time in the comming, but we may just have the latest (Fuzion) version of CP out next year. Apparently they do have a release date, but don't want to announce it yet, just incase it looks like they don't think it will be out on time.

Go over to the R.Tal and check out the News sections, as well as their CP message board. Find the posts by a guy called Woody. He's the head of Tundra Press, and their key distributer (or sumthin...).
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

it ranks top 3. I would go with Palladium #1 with Rifts at a close #2 then Nightbane. Depending on BTS 2nd ed. It may bet bumbed down to 3.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

#1 ROBOTECH !!! :D

#2 Battletech :-)

#3 Rifts :-D
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..Boy, Rating these things is surprisingly difficult for me. I look above my computer at the 5ft long shelf covered with Palladium books from side to side, then further to it's top with representatives of a handful of other publishers games, and see that rating the games is going to have every Palladium in the top 10 (except Robotech, never could get into that).

..So...

1. Rifts
2. HackMaster (if you liked ADnD, GET THIS SYSTEM!!!)
3. CyberPunk 2020
4. Palladium Fantasy
5. Heroes Unlimited
6. DnD 3.0

..Now this is skewed with experience. Although I've been GMing all Palladium games since '88, my actual play experience is only in the past 5 years, and consists almost entirely of CyberPunk 2020 and DnD 3.0; I've played in Rifts and Palladium Fantasy in pbp games, and Heroes Unlimited, but not as often as I'd like. So if I had more play time instead of GM time I know they'd be on the top of my list, but I don't.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."

Unread post by Guest »

N&SS
Hu2 (these are just about a Tie depending on my mood)
Robotech
Rifts (though I have no books left)
Phase World
Palladium
Shadowrun
D&D
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

I voted top 3...here's my list

1. Heroes Unlimited 2e
2. All Flesh Must be Eaten (Eden Studios)
3. Rifts

I would prefer to run them all equally, but my group prefers the games in that order. If I were to start playing again (instead of GMing all the time), I would order the list the same as they do as well, but as a GM Rifts gives me a ton of variety and story ideas with the same group, but All Flesh is easier to run than Rifts, and HU is a blast to run (there's variety, and it's not to hard to run).
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Zachary The First wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:..6. DnD 3.0

-Mike <8]

3.0 or 3.5?

..I'm not impressed with some of the changes in 3.5.

..Hackmaster has become a passion for me. My good gamer has been DMing ADnD since he was 8, about 18 years now, so he's walking me through the finer points of the system as we go along.

..The only game where you could end up a double amputee in character creation.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Top 5

1) Mutants and Masterminds (Freedom city setting rocks - and the system is great too)

2) Battletech/Mechwarrior (the most detailed and impressive sci-fi setting I have come across)

3) D&D 3.X (especially Forgotten Realms)

4) Heroes Unlimited (more for the CS/GI setting - there are better game systems out there)

5) Rifts (again, more for the setting than anything else)

As you can tell, I am attracted more to setting rather than systems, and if I find a system that I like, I convert a particular setting to it (for instance I have converted HU to M&M for my own personal use and games).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Rifts has fallen out of my Top Five over the last decade, mainly due to some major burnout with the line about four years ago. I still enjoy it, but other things have caught my attention.

Current Top Five:
1. Armageddon-- CJ Carella's game about role-playing in the End Times predicted by many religions around the world. The battle is bigger than that of good versus evil, if you can believe that.
2. All Flesh Must Be Eaten-- A "generic" system that cleverly disguises itself as a zombie survival horror game. It uses the same mechanics as Armageddon. So far, it has genre books for pulp action, martial arts & hong kong gun-fu flicks, westerns, wrestling (no, I'm not kidding), and now-- thanks to Jason Vey-- fantasy.
3. WitchCraft-- The past of the Armageddon setting, this game is a sort of modern horror/dark fantasy setting in the vein of the X-Files.
4. Systems Failure-- Certainly a forgotten classic. If any of you haven't laid your hands on it, please do. It's a lot of fun if you don't take it seriously.
5. D6 Star Wars-- One of my longest running campaigns, next to when I got into Rifts. The mechanics are so straightforward I can still generate a character off the top of my head without cracking open the rulebook to look things up. I hope to play this again some day.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

1) D&D 3.X (being there were no serious system changes between the "revision", i dont see it as a real revision at all... heck to play rifts we have more corrections and house rules then the # of changes form 3.0 to 3.5)
2)Were-Wolf the Apokolypes
3)Robotech, w/ some serious corrections to the Mecha of all 3 eras. (and the removal of the Sentinels... but Keeping Lancers Rockers)
4) Rifts (Thou i dont play is anymore ... but own 90% of the books)
5) Shadow run (love the game... a bit broken... only own the main book.)
6) Earthdawn (Obsidomen Rock!!!... bad pun...)
7) The rest of WW's Old WOD stuff.
8) Hackmaster/AD&D

but these all fall far behind EQ 1 & 2...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Illithid13 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:1) D&D 3.X (being there were no serious system changes between the "revision", i dont see it as a real revision at all... heck to play rifts we have more corrections and house rules then the # of changes form 3.0 to 3.5)

Yea, 3.5 was just a WotC marketing gimic to get people to buy more books... :x

inccorect, it was no more a "Gimic" then HU revised was a "Gimic", It was a Much needed System Adjustment... it fixed minor system flaws and Balance issues, amny i had found ion the years i played the game, and adjusted over time.
Actually... the Tiem between 3.0 and 3.5 was about the same as HU-1st and HU-revised both about 3 years... Man Palladiums Evil marketing tactics with HU to get people to buy more books!
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Illithid13 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:1) D&D 3.X (being there were no serious system changes between the "revision", i dont see it as a real revision at all... heck to play rifts we have more corrections and house rules then the # of changes form 3.0 to 3.5)

Yea, 3.5 was just a WotC marketing gimic to get people to buy more books... :x

inccorect, it was no more a "Gimic" then HU revised was a "Gimic", It was a Much needed System Adjustment... it fixed minor system flaws and Balance issues, amny i had found ion the years i played the game, and adjusted over time.
Actually... the Tiem between 3.0 and 3.5 was about the same as HU-1st and HU-revised both about 3 years... Man Palladiums Evil marketing tactics with HU to get people to buy more books!

Agreed.
People just tend to be bitter that D20 is so popular, so they latch onto anything they think they know and try to use it to attack the game.
In reality, Palladium could and should learn a LOT about how to make a good game from watching how D20 is run.

Compare the two techniques:

D20- After 3 years, they updated the system to eliminate the bugs, fix mistakes, and balance things more.

Rifts- After 10+ years, they still haven't fixed half the problems with the main book. Instead of releasing a coherent updating of the system, they randomly sprinkle new rules and changes to the old rules into new books here or there, making it so that you have to search through your entire library of Rifts books any time you need to check a rule (unless you happen to remember which of the 30+ books it's in). Instead of forcing players to buy a couple of new core books if they want to keep up with the new rules, Palladium instead forces the players to buy every Rifts product put out (barring T-shirts, the card game, and other novelties) if they want to keep up with the new rules.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I put Rift's in my top 10.
I would say the Heroes Unlimited is my #1, followed by Ninjas and Superspies, a combination of NightBane and Beyond the Supernatural, the TSR Marvel Superheroes (the RPG, not the card games), GURPS, Champions 3rd edition, Rifts, Chaos Earth, Palladium Fantasy, and 1st edition Star Wars.
More or less.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
bigwhitehound

Rifts for life

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

I like the Rifts RPG over all others, but I do play Nightbane & Heroes Unlimited, from time to time. When playing Rifts I normally play in the Phase World Dimension.
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

My favorites right now are:

1. Palladium System: I'm going to lump Rifts, BtS, Nightbane, and Heroes Unlimited into this category. I mainly play Rifts, but for the setting and not the rules (I wrote my own 76 page rulebook over the past year that I just finished over the holidays).

2. BtVS and Angel (the Uni System): Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, ah yes, gotta have my Buffy.

3. Fireborn: Once you get the book of errata, the game becomes quite fun.

All D20 products have fallen from grace for me. I used to be a "fan" not a "big fan" just a "fan" (and in quotes because I was pretty much forced into it because that is all that my friends would play at the time). I have grown tired of the system, which has caused me to grow tired with playing in any D20 based campaign. I will only run non-D20 campaigns now. Perhaps this will change in the future, but it is not all that likely as of right now. Part of the fun of role-playing is changing the system and learning new rules.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Though I've played many games, I hold two in highest esteem. Those would be Rifts and Champions (Hero). I love Rifts because of its rich and lovingly detailed environment, despite its lacking in mechanics. Truly it is a setting second to none. But I also place Hero's Champoins just as high because I absolutely love their game mechanics, and their setting is evolving pretty well too under the DOJ crew.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Rifts is first.
Talislanta is a fairly close second.
Third... hmm... I guess the D20 D&D? Hard to say...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

Rifts is the only game that makes me want to come back for more. It pains me to make this list...

1 - DND D20 3.5. Not a bad system, I resent the low power levels of the characters. I really don't understand the system, to be honest. I'm into it just because I can only find gamers that are willing to play it. Actually, I am in the process of converting some of them into Rifts...

2 - Rifts! I lump all PB into this. Sorry, but the other games are just supplements at this point in time. I love this game!

3 - WOD: Old School. Had a lot of fun with this game. I once ran a Sabbat game that lasted a year (the 2nd ed. type) It's fun making players scared of themselves. I've also had a tremendous amount of fun with Mage: The Ascension. That game truly had no limits.
I think the newest ed. has finally put a death knell in WW for me...

4 - Ars Magica - Never played it, always wanted to. Great concepts, not just in the world, but the system as well. Never could get a group that could pull it off.

5 - Star Wars D6. Statistically impossible feats in such a short amount of time. The system needed work, it didn't deserve to be D20'd.

6 - GURPS. Had a few campaigns that lasted a while using this system. Does it still exist? I was really hoping it's over detailed rules and crappy artwork didn't kill it completely.

I've left out a bunch of games I've tried, or read. Those are the ones that will always stick out for me.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Last I knew, GURPS was still hanging in there.
If you're the kind of GM/Player who needs a reality based rule, or just a rule in general for any concievable situation, then GURPS is the way to go.
However, you will sink a small fortune into books...
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Sentinel wrote:Last I knew, GURPS was still hanging in there.
If you're the kind of GM/Player who needs a reality based rule, or just a rule in general for any concievable situation, then GURPS is the way to go.

(remmebers the 600 bucks he blew on Rifts books alone)
Gurps 4th is out i think....
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zachary The First wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Last I knew, GURPS was still hanging in there.

(remmebers the 600 bucks he blew on Rifts books alone)
Gurps 4th is out i think....

It is, but I've been hearing bad feedback on it. Of course, Rifts 3rd was cluttered up. You all know I'm not much for munchkining, but that system was making it hard to do a character any different or more powerful or harder to kill than your average slob.

Zach... are you from the Future?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zachary The First wrote:Argh!!! GURPS 3rd! GURPS 3rd! Sorry, we were having that discussion on game mechanics and revisions....

:oops:

The New Year is not off to a good start, my friend.
Nice Try Future man.... now hand over Rifts second ed, so we may save KS time writing it.....
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zachary The First wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Zachary The First wrote:Argh!!! GURPS 3rd! GURPS 3rd! Sorry, we were having that discussion on game mechanics and revisions....

Nice Try Future man.... now hand over Rifts second ed, so we may save KS time writing it.....

Sorry, but only one of us has the Flux Capacitor. See you in 2013.

Rifts second ed.... out in 2013... a month after the Wolrd ends...
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zachary The First wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Zachary The First wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Sorry, but only one of us has the Flux Capacitor. See you in 2013.

Rifts second ed.... out in 2013... a month after the Wolrd ends...

Actually, it won't....but a lot of people thought it was going to when seven Palladium Fantasy products were released in 2012.

I'm pretty Sure that That is the 7th seal... 7 PFRPG books in one year...
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:I'm pretty Sure that That is the 7th seal... 7 PFRPG books in one year...

So where exactly does Mechanoid Space fit into the apocalyptic calander? :(
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Zachary The First wrote:I believe that will be a result, and not the cause, of the Apocalypse. I can't think of any force stronger to bring it to pass.

Fair enough. :)

Incidently, Rifts is somewhere between 5-10 out of my favorite games. In high school, I guess 11 years back (yikes! :eek: ), it was easily number one. Of course, that was before most people that I was around had access to anything asides from the main book and SB1. Those were the days...

Nowadays, I think the only Palladium games that might still make my top 5 are Systems Failure and Mechanoids. I'm finding anymore that what works best for my gaming style and group is generally easy on the rules, with either a generic or lightly detailed setting, and an old school feel. A slightly updated version of the original Mechanoids game that I use has all three of those things. Systems Failure rates pretty well also, especially in the latter two criteria.

Rifts, on the other hand, has lost ground in all three areas over the years, becoming rather bloated in my mind. The ingenuity behind Rifts means that I'll occasionally pull it out for a one-off game simply using the core books, but more than that and I'd probably just get frustrated. I spent about 5 years trying to come to grips with my increasing frustration with Rifts. Now that it's behind me, I'm done with it. :-D

I couldn't put together a definative list, but I'll add that EarthAD, Star Wars (D6), and OD&D probably round out my top 5, with Palladium also represented by After the Bomb and Robotech being on the cusp of my top 10.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: Where does Rifts rank?

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Zachary The First wrote:OK, just seeing if we're all as self-hating as we have a rep for....

Whatever our postings on here, where does Rifts rate among your favorite RPGs?

Also, if it is in your top 3, what are your other faves? I'm curious to see how many WW adherents, Blade Runner fans, etc, we have in comparison.

FYI, for me, Rifts is ranked 2d. Palladium Fantasy is first, with RT/BTS tied in a Gordian knot for 3d.

Not in any order...Top Three

Old STORYTELLER systems, not the nWoD stuff.
Palladium Books RPGs - ALL
Unisystem as a Generic rules set.

then
Cyberpunk 2020/Cybergeneration
Fuzion - BGC:2032
MechWarrior 3rdEd.
AD&D - DarkSun, Council of Wyrms

I love to play Cyborgs ;)
So Palladium and Cyberpunk rank very high to me.
PB needs to do more Weapon/Gadgets focused books like the Old Chrome Books for CP2020...Just to make it feel like your Shopping for the stuff better...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

1 Robotech
2 Rifts
3 AD&D 2nd edition though i hve not played since they sold out to Wotc and hasbro. I stopped buying thier game system and any new product by them. except for toys.

I use all the other Palladium games with rifts. And i often use game material from others systems to give me ideas and ships, castle, and other story back ground. after all why not use the thousands of dollors of gaming matieral to enhance your gaming experience?
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote: 3 AD&D 2nd edition though i hve not played since they sold out to Wotc and hasbro. I stopped buying thier game system and any new product by them. except for toys.

"Sold out" is not quite correct....
TSR went bankrupt due to pissing off their fans for about 10 years, Selling sub-par products for 30-40$ (best was a 98pg Soft cover book for 34$).
WOTC bought TSR, and Continued to publish under the 2nd Ed. Titels, While working w/ EGG and others to Make 3rd.
Hasbro wanting to get its hand on Pokemon rights, bought out Wotc, for its Pokemon CCG & Magic:TG. Hasbro unimpresed by the Phenomoenal Sales rates to the 3rd products Threatned to Cancel D&D (The 3.0 Psionics Hand book sold out its 70,000 copy Print run in 2 months... Hasbro was unimpressed, as they Sell 100,000 copies of Monoploy a Month)

Honslty I cant see how peopel Liked TSR & 2nd ed so much, They were the Biggest Price gougers in history, and cared nothign for their Customers.

Palladium games stays in my Top 10, only beacuse they dont go out of their way to Rip off people, Thou having to buy another copy of Fed of Magic(the Revised one) will bug me alot.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Honslty I cant see how peopel Liked TSR & 2nd ed so much, They were the Biggest Price gougers in history, and cared nothign for their Customers.

Palladium games stays in my Top 10, only beacuse they dont go out of their way to Rip off people, Thou having to buy another copy of Fed of Magic(the Revised one) will bug me alot.

The old TSR stuff was terrific. My Moldvay, Gamma World and Star Frontiers boxed sets still hold places of pride in my collection. The Gazetteers set the standard as far as I'm concerned for describing a campaign setting. Even some of the later releases, such as the OD&D Rules Cyclopedia and the two iterations of the Buck Rogers RPG (XXVc and High Adventure Cliffhangers) were superb products. And while I can't vouch for all of the AD&D 2nd Ed. materials, a couple of their sourcebooks still get a lot of use by myself due to their excellence: Creative Campaigning and The Complete Book of Villains.

On the whole, TSR gave me just as many or more fun nights of gaming than Palladium has managed. The prices of the products that I bought from them were always reasonable, and when the quality is such that I still get them back out just for the joy of reading them some 20 years later, I can't help but have some attachment. :)
Carter

Unread post by Carter »

#1 Rifts
#2 BTS
#3 if push comes to shove D&D

Return to “Rifts®”