Lord Magus Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Lord Magus Question

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

In the Lord Magus OCC it gives the list for spell progression and it says that he can never select spells higher than level 10 as part of that progression. Is it possible for the Lord Magus to learn spells higher than level 10 outside of that prgression, if he found a book with the spell etc.?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Lord Magus Question

Unread post by cornholioprime »

The Galactus Kid wrote:In the Lord Magus OCC it gives the list for spell progression and it says that he can never select spells higher than level 10 as part of that progression. Is it possible for the Lord Magus to learn spells higher than level 10 outside of that prgression, if he found a book with the spell etc.?
I'll start reading the OCC description soon, but it's a good Question. Don't be surprised if that OCC is locked into a certain set of Skills; Characters are often created with built-in restrictions like that presumably to keep Game Balance......

BTW, if he doesn't gain Spells like a Mystic (gets Spells INSTANTLY upon reaching the next Level, without having to learn them), he should be able to get more in the traditional manner.....
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Lord Magus Question

cornholio wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:In the Lord Magus OCC it gives the list for spell progression and it says that he can never select spells higher than level 10 as part of that progression. Is it possible for the Lord Magus to learn spells higher than level 10 outside of that prgression, if he found a book with the spell etc.?
I'll start reading the OCC description soon, but it's a good Question. Don't be surprised if that OCC is locked into a certain set of Skills; Characters are often created with built-in restrictions like that presumably to keep Game Balance......

BTW, if he doesn't gain Spells like a Mystic (gets Spells INSTANTLY upon reaching the next Level, without having to learn them), he should be able to get more in the traditional manner.....
Update from last Post: Although they do NOT 'learn' Spells the same way the Mystic does, and one would think that they could gain/learn higher Level Magicks, their Description states SPECIFICALLY that they cannot (Rifts: Federation of Magic pg. 78.) Of course, he should still be able to read a Magic Scroll or two.....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I don't have the rvised Federation of Magic, but in my copy it states the following:

"At level six on up, the character can select a total of one new spell from levels 8-10, or two spells from levels 3-7, never beyond (exept for illusions"

I read this as saying that in his normal spell progression the mage cannot select spells higher than that. But what would stop the mage from picking up a book and learning a 13th level spell? Wouldn't this be outside of his normal spell progression?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

The Galactus Kid wrote:I don't have the rvised Federation of Magic, but in my copy it states the following:

"At level six on up, the character can select a total of one new spell from levels 8-10, or two spells from levels 3-7, never beyond (exept for illusions"

I read this as saying that in his normal spell progression the mage cannot select spells higher than that. But what would stop the mage from picking up a book and learning a 13th level spell? Wouldn't this be outside of his normal spell progression?
Unfortunately, the Authors seem to lock this OCC down at 10th Level, at least in the revised FoM Book. I say again that they should still be able to read (but probably not be able to make) Magic Scrolls of Higher Levels......

The Magus Subset does NOT automatically get the Spells like a Mystic; while (s)he can select the Spells to get, the Character is actually 'learning' them 'in-Game,' unlike, say, a Mystic or a Dragon. Presumably, the Rules of Magic for this OCC would probably allow him to read and possibly understand the words/rituals/motions for the Higher Level Spells, but unless he had a Scroll on his person, or the Spell wasn't an Illusion, he could go through the proper motions, but the Spell simply wouldn't go off (don't know if the Magus would lose the PPE in the effort)...

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

No.

They simply are not that good enough at spell casting to use high level spells.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
AllMightyRCB
Wanderer

Unread post by AllMightyRCB »

Just use a RCC Hunter cat OCC Lord Magus. Ooo, level 8. :eek:
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

AllMightyRCB wrote:Just use a RCC Hunter cat OCC Lord Magus. Ooo, level 8. :eek:
Uhhh.......WHAT IN BLAZES?!?!?! :?:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

The Galactus Kid wrote:I don't have the rvised Federation of Magic, but in my copy it states the following:

Double-checked the Book, and saw that the Spells indeed do not come to him like a Mystic or Dragon; in fact, his flavor text staes that he goes out and looks for magic to learn from the 'get-go,' and do NOT automatically get them. If a Lord Magus gets to 6th Level, but doesn't go find or learn 10th Level Spells, then (s)he doesn't get to cast 10th Level Spells.

We must therefore 'logically' assume that the same Special Magicks that allow a 6th Level Lord Magus to learn and cast a 10th Level Spell also stop the Character from casting (and presumably, learning) Magic over the 10th Level, apart from Illusory Magic, which he knows at EVERY level. (S)he should still be able to read a Magic Scroll, though.....

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Tyciol wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:No.

They simply are not that good enough at spell casting to use high level spells.

Wrong. They can cast any high level spells they want, heck, look at the illusion spells they get at first level, and the fact that they have the best spell strength, range, duration and casting speed of all the magic classes in Rifts (barring Lizard Mages perhaps).

They simply don't find it necessary, they like low level spells.
Ty, it is SPECIFICALLY stated in their Description that they get ALL Illusion Magicks of ALL Levels, presumably including (Illusionary)Spells of Legend, provided any such Spells exist. They have THAT Ability at 1st Level as a Lord Magus.

BTW, I apologize to everyone regarding previous Responses in this Post. I kept referring to "....A 6th level Mage being able to cast 10th Level Spells..." as if that is something unusual in Rifts. Don't beat me TOO hard for subconsciously thinking in terms of that OTHER Game...

:thwak:

Sorry.....old habits die hard.......

Return to “Rifts®”