Robotech vs. Macross

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jesterzzn
Champion

Robotech vs. Macross

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

My friend owed both of these books by palladium, and I was wondering what the difference is. Can some one enlighten me, or point to me where to go for info?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Robotech vs. Macross

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Jesterzzn wrote:My friend owed both of these books by palladium, and I was wondering what the difference is. Can some one enlighten me, or point to me where to go for info?

Macross II's Armor nears Rifts' equivalents, however in comparison to Robotech their missile system is messed up. Mini missiles were originally made to represent the missiles used by Cyclones. In Macross II many of the Missiles that would have been SRMs are mini's and it goes on from there MRM's are SRM's etc. . I'm not going to put down differences in story lines. The quality of the book is just like the RT books. They did miss some items.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

Robotech mecha rely on protoculture as a fuel source, with the orginal mecha having a 10 year life before requiring replacement. Southern Cross mecha have nuclear power plants with a 12 year life (Robotech), and when you reach the Invid book, the Robotech mecha are down to 6 month life spans before refueling when it's large mecha, 1-3 months for Cyclones.

Macross II mecha all rely on nuclear power plants and have 12-20 year lifespans, much tougher armor, stronger guns, and the same insane agility as Robotech mecha.

If you're looking for a vehicle to bring into Rifts, you can't go wrong with Macross II.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

yup dropping 6d6x10 from 2 miles the monster MK II or 14 long range missles at once on someone and has 154more to go after that could really mess up someone's day
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Jesterzzn
Champion

Why are the Robotech books still supported but the Macross books wiped from all record? Are they seperate games or is Macross a supplement to Robotech?
Jesterzzn
Champion

The Guru shall help supply you with an answer to meditate on....

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

AlexanderDeath wrote:The Guru shall help supply you with an answer to meditate on....

Macross II (Which is a spin0ff of the origonal Japanese Series known as Super Dimensonal Fortress: Macross) Is neither a suppliment to Robotech, or unevenly erased. The Licenses for both independant series expired, and Palladium Games chose not to continue to pursue either.

Robotech Books however, are also in the minority, so you have it backwards - the avaliblity of Macross II Related material tends to be higher in stock then that of fresh Robotech Books (Meaning you find more used Robotech Books for Sale vs. Fresh Stock and boxed Macross II books that just didnt sell and now sit on clearance shelves in wearhouses and stores all over the US.)

Infact, Chicago's own Games Plus, has roughly 20 copies of each Macross II book, still sitting in its origonal shipping boxes, untouched, or so the grape vine tells me - not that Macross II was a bad series or anything.

Yeah I'd like to get ahold of the Macross II Deckplans vol. 3 though.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

They just need to get the liscense to Macross...as in the whole series. It could be their new "Robotech" or maybe get liscense to Macross, Super Dimensional Cavelry: Southern Cross and Genesis Climber: MOSPEDA do them as seperate lines and they'd be more detailed then RT was being direct from the source instead of the watered down version RT gave us.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Angryjack wrote:Since Robotech license is going to GOO and Eden is picking up City Of heroes License, Palladium Could always reget the Macross II license and run away with it, Mac II was a setting that could always use new Material

Thats one licence I would not come within one parsect of.

just my personal and not legal opinion mind you.
冠双
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Angryjack wrote:Since Robotech license is going to GOO

Umm....since when did Guardians of Order pick up the Robotech license?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

GOO has macross? Sweet, they are just down the highway from me.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Angryjack wrote:Correction. GOO has the MACROSS License now, Check their news pages.

Where on there news page?

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Robotech vs. Macross

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Jesterzzn wrote:My friend owed both of these books by palladium, and I was wondering what the difference is. Can some one enlighten me, or point to me where to go for info?

Robotech, beyond the Storyline in the Series, which combined Southern cross, Macross, and Mopspeda, Palladium Added some of its own Ideas to Create the Less then true to the show RPG.

Robotech Mecha of all 3 Eras use Protoculture. the first 2 eras have Fusion engines with a 8-20 year life, while the REF designed a Canister system to help better use its Limited supply of Protoculture, These Canisters(16) can power a Alpha or Beta for up to one year at full power before new ones need to be found, the cyclones need one Cell and it will Last for 2 months of constant use.
Beyond the RPG additions to the 85 episode canon + Sentinels, The RPG continues the plot line Past Symphony of light, having the Invid re-Invade, and set up (yet again) Slave colonies... The only good point past this is Lancers Rockers.... which was so-so, and the Low point Was Return of the Masters(1st ed.)... which is Easily the worst Robotech book, and Strays the most from Series canon... not that the RPG writers cared for Making the product resemble the source.

Macross 2 Takes place in an Alternate Future of the Macross Storyline.
again the earth is invaded by 40ft Aliens who hate Culture... but this time no Magical Singing Girl can save them... so a New Reporter and his Kidnapped Semi-hot Alien chick must find away to use the Anchient SDF-1 (now a Museum piece) to stop this Invasion form killing everyone....
The RPg is More Honest to its Source... but had a Similar amount of Flaws. but all the Veritech have Auto-dodge... so its cool.... really...
Last edited by Colonel Wolfe on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

AlexanderDeath wrote:Thank you Wolfe for the delayed enlightnment 8-) im glad to see your on the ball 8-) its nice to know your always ready and willing to back up someones post 8-) giving an answer to a question thats already been solved, but its good to have people watching your back, from far far behind you 8-)

dont know if i should be insulted (and click report) or say your welcome....
yep its a Bait attempt.

Flaming/Harrassment

Egging someone on to provoke them into lashing back with a flame post is called flame-baiting, and is also not welcomed.

I replied to the Topic of the Thread, clearly seeing the thread had gone Way off-topic.....
Last edited by Colonel Wolfe on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Angryjack wrote:I got it from their emails, it'll be released during Gencon i think

Wonder why they didn't post this to there Info list or Tri-Stat list.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Funny I've always used GOO as an acronym for Great Old Ones :lol: so their making Macross. I would have figured that would be the nick name for TSR if they were still around. Please no one act like WoC/Hasbro is anything like the Grandfather.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Angryjack wrote:I got it from their emails, it'll be released during Gencon i think

Could you possibly post that, cause I have yet to find anything that corroborates this. No offense, just being thorough. :D
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote: Please no one act like WoC/Hasbro is anything like the Grandfather.

Wotc is much better then a Grandfather, its your Grandfather when he uses words like "bling" and "Whuz up my hommly Gees".
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote: Please no one act like WoC/Hasbro is anything like the Grandfather.

Wotc is much better then a Grandfather, its your Grandfather when he uses words like "bling" and "Whuz up my hommly Gees".

Normally I'd say something about being scared of grandparents who say that....but I just met a 32 year old grandmother today. That's right boys and girls. She popped out a daughter at 16 and her daughter had just had a kid at 16.

Like mother like daughter...kids these days.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I was comparing TSR to the Grandfather of all RPG companies not saying WoC/Hasbro is a Grandfather.

Translation: Please no one act like WoC/Hasbro is anything like TSR. (No WoC isn't better, it's different and should have stayed that way instead of allowing Hasbro to buy them up and become the all consuming monster of RPG's it has become, sanatizing them and making them uninteresting. D20 this D20 that bah. WEG made a better Star Wars, TSR's Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, AD&D 1st and even second ed. and Marvel Super Heros were all superior to the franchise that is D20. Making game rules easy to understand and uniform through out products does not a better game system make. If that was so the D20 games would be better than Palladium and I wouldn't touch another D20 book with the napalm from a flame thrower. Hasbro's D20 is the "Go fish" to R. Talsorian's Fuzion's "black jack", Palladium's Megaverse's "Poker" and TSR's (a moment of silence :nh:) various game system's "Canasta".
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

AlexanderDeath wrote:I wonder if Henry Gloval had dentures ^_^

Do I want to know where you pulled that one from?
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I was comparing TSR to the Grandfather of all RPG companies not saying WoC/Hasbro is a Grandfather.

Translation: Please no one act like WoC/Hasbro is anything like TSR. (No WoC isn't better, it's different and should have stayed that way instead of allowing Hasbro to buy them up and become the all consuming monster of RPG's it has become, sanatizing them and making them uninteresting. D20 this D20 that bah. WEG made a better Star Wars, TSR's Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, AD&D 1st and even second ed. and Marvel Super Heros were all superior to the franchise that is D20. Making game rules easy to understand and uniform through out products does not a better game system make. If that was so the D20 games would be better than Palladium and I wouldn't touch another D20 book with the napalm from a flame thrower. Hasbro's D20 is the "Go fish" to R. Talsorian's Fuzion's "black jack", Palladium's Megaverse's "Poker" and TSR's (a moment of silence :nh:) various game system's "Canasta".

gee i would said palladium is texas hold'em. poker?? poker :badbad: where is that stick............................................its not here :eek:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

this is all Opion thou =p.

oh, Hasbro did a Semi-hostile take over of WoTC so they coudl get more Rights to the Pokemon Franchise... and Were gonna Close the RPG section of WOTC. Weather RPG's are better and Worse can be Divided in to 2 Catagories:
Sales #'s

or

Fan opion.

if its Sales numbers: WOTC amounts to 40-50% of the RPG sales over the Last 3 years, White wolf hold 19-24% and Palladium hols 3rd with 9-15%.

Fan Opion?
Well it breaks down in to personal opion, I say D20 is good stuff, and Palladium needs alot of Work/Editing and Proof reading.
you say D20 suxxor and needs to burn, and the Failed RPG's produced by TSr are good. its all Opion.

but Look at Palladiums own Forums.... a good % of the posters complain the system is in need of Major Revision and correction. and a Rifts 2.0/2nd/Revised Ed. so you dont have to buy 10 diffrent books for a Corrected Rules set for the system.

Really, if TSR was so darn good, Why did it go bankrupt? Why did it screw over half its writing staff? and Even its Creator EGG? TSr was a plague, and I for one am glad its dead.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

but Look at Palladiums own Forums.... a good % of the posters complain the system is in need of Major Revision and correction. and a Rifts 2.0/2nd/Revised Ed. so you dont have to buy 10 diffrent books for a Corrected Rules set for the system.

poor sampling. these forums are not a proper cross section of the palladium fanbase.

a lot of people who support the game have been gone recently, allowing the system razzers more visability.

it would be like saying that because when you looked out the window it was night time, that it can never be day.

(you'll also notice that many of the "fixes" these people post are clunkier or more confusing than the palladium rules. persoanl taste must always be considered when looking at these issues. what works for one person does not have to work for another.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:

poor sampling. these forums are not a proper cross section of the palladium fanbase.

a lot of people who support the game have been gone recently, allowing the system razzers more visability.

it would be like saying that because when you looked out the window it was night time, that it can never be day.

(you'll also notice that many of the "fixes" these people post are clunkier or more confusing than the palladium rules. persoanl taste must always be considered when looking at these issues. what works for one person does not have to work for another.)

True, The Decenters will have the Loudest voice and get the most coverage, but even so its truly impossible to do a Accurate sampeling of any RPG companies customer base, unelss the RPG company puts those gay reply by mail cards in every book, and even then not everyoen is gonna reply.

But The Correction of the system was a Common topic even back in the late 90's when i posted here with regualirty(well, the old style forums).
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Wotc was Privatly owned by Peter Adkinson fomr 1990 to 1999, so a "Reintergrating" is a Wrong term.

and as for WW bing bought by WOTc a year after it was founded... White wolf was founded in 1986... only 4 years before Wizards was founded...

so... After being Sued in to near bankruptise by Palladium in 92... they also owned White Wolf Game studios.. which was when White wolf was starting its big run to hold 26% of the market...

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”